Ghost role issue

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Re: Ghost role issue

Post by Ispiria » #476009

Bottom post of the previous page:

SaveVatznick wrote:We don't have a points system or a win loss record because the point of the game isn't to strive to win, but to enjoy your time playing it.
Can we get this quote engraved ingame or embedded on the forums somewhere, or something, to permanently mark the moment Leora perfectly described the underlying purpose of SS13?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #476024

if removing configs was allowed we'd have killed time gate on antags ages ago
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #476033

adamkad1 wrote: If you actually were not a retard and read what is said, i kept proposing a quiz with answers being LITERALLY COPYPASTEABLE FROM WIKI (can it even be called quiz then...), therefore you dont really need to know how to play the role, you just need to prove you are literate and applied RTFM (Read the f'ing manual)
I am against time gating and it never was the intent of this suggestion, people only derailed it into it for a reason i cannot fathom. Time gating solves no issue, you dont gain experience in something by doing entirely different things/solely watching others do it.
Simply force people to skim over the wiki, because its not hard. If you are typing in here, that (probally) means you are literate enough to read a wiki page
I also do not have anything against people who play a role bad, as long as they have SOME idea how to play it. People trying but failing are hilarious. People who have no idea what they are doing arent hilarious as often.
And for my own opinion (heresy i know) Losing is !!FUN!!, but only if i atleast knew what i was trying to do
That's a tutorial. What you're describing is a tutorial. A really shitty tutorial. What we actually need is a real tutorial. I'm sure nobody will bother doing that because nobody gives a shit about the new player UX.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #476075

MisterPerson wrote:
adamkad1 wrote: If you actually were not a retard and read what is said, i kept proposing a quiz with answers being LITERALLY COPYPASTEABLE FROM WIKI (can it even be called quiz then...), therefore you dont really need to know how to play the role, you just need to prove you are literate and applied RTFM (Read the f'ing manual)
I am against time gating and it never was the intent of this suggestion, people only derailed it into it for a reason i cannot fathom. Time gating solves no issue, you dont gain experience in something by doing entirely different things/solely watching others do it.
Simply force people to skim over the wiki, because its not hard. If you are typing in here, that (probally) means you are literate enough to read a wiki page
I also do not have anything against people who play a role bad, as long as they have SOME idea how to play it. People trying but failing are hilarious. People who have no idea what they are doing arent hilarious as often.
And for my own opinion (heresy i know) Losing is !!FUN!!, but only if i atleast knew what i was trying to do
That's a tutorial. What you're describing is a tutorial. A really shitty tutorial. What we actually need is a real tutorial. I'm sure nobody will bother doing that because nobody gives a shit about the new player UX.
i mean, when we tried adding animations to show things like pickups people threw a hissy fit about it making the game too easy so I mean we'll need to start banning thos epeople

you can do your part by filing Github Reports against people shitting up the comments section, remember to report for any kind of hostile language
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #476176

Reporting is what got astral found out
Also >banning people from using words
>not just using a wordfilter
Ispiria wrote:
SaveVatznick wrote:We don't have a points system or a win loss record because the point of the game isn't to strive to win, but to enjoy your time playing it.
Can we get this quote engraved ingame or embedded on the forums somewhere, or something, to permanently mark the moment Leora perfectly described the underlying purpose of SS13?
This
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #476244

somerandomguy wrote:Reporting is what got astral found out
Also >banning people from using words
>not just using a wordfilter
Tough shit, do your job and report people who shit up the comments. We'll have less people shitting up PR comments if it results in a github vacation every time they do it.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #476252

Thanks for the ad hominem.

Anyway, A) people would have to know where the wiki is and have it open when they get a chance to ghost role antag. B) reading the manual doesn't make you good at the role, it means you kinda know the basic mechanics but might not understand what the wiki's actually saying.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #476363

Ispiria wrote:
Also put Imsxz name in honorable mentions
adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #479646

datorangebottle wrote:
Thanks for the ad hominem.

Anyway, A) people would have to know where the wiki is and have it open when they get a chance to ghost role antag. B) reading the manual doesn't make you good at the role, it means you kinda know the basic mechanics but might not understand what the wiki's actually saying.

A) if you are playing the game, there is a button. B) Its still better than 0 knowledge
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #479859

adamkad1 wrote: A) if you are playing the game, there is a button. B) Its still better than 0 knowledge
By the time the average person reads the wiki page, the chance to get the ghost role has already been taken by people who know what they're doing. While yes, having someone read a wiki page before doing something is better than them not knowing what the fuck they're doing, forcing them to read to even have a chance at the ghost role flies in the face of learning conventions. Some people learn best by doing, or being taught by another person, instead of reading.

Also, who wants to stop watching this wacky spaceman game to read a manual instead of going right into some blob/space ninja/pirate/etc action? What if they read the wiki page and then don't get the role? They just wasted a good minute or two of reading that they could've spent doing something else.

Last thing I'm saying in this thread: you are not entitled to a good blob. You are not entitled to a good space ninja. Hell, you aren't even entitled to a good holoparasite. You're stuck with what you get, so suck it up and stop trying to add more obnoxious gates to things that don't need them.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #480049

SS13 is a very slow game that starts with you inevitably reading the rules and basic controls, and in all the time you have in game dead, there's plenty of room to read about ghost roles.
adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #486690

datorangebottle wrote:
adamkad1 wrote: A) if you are playing the game, there is a button. B) Its still better than 0 knowledge
By the time the average person reads the wiki page, the chance to get the ghost role has already been taken by people who know what they're doing. While yes, having someone read a wiki page before doing something is better than them not knowing what the fuck they're doing, forcing them to read to even have a chance at the ghost role flies in the face of learning conventions. Some people learn best by doing, or being taught by another person, instead of reading.

Also, who wants to stop watching this wacky spaceman game to read a manual instead of going right into some blob/space ninja/pirate/etc action? What if they read the wiki page and then don't get the role? They just wasted a good minute or two of reading that they could've spent doing something else.

Last thing I'm saying in this thread: you are not entitled to a good blob. You are not entitled to a good space ninja. Hell, you aren't even entitled to a good holoparasite. You're stuck with what you get, so suck it up and stop trying to add more obnoxious gates to things that don't need them.
You are not entitled to have a good coworker or a doctor that will revive you either

And checking wiki isnt hard or painfull. Hell, i really like reading wikis, because i like learning new things but i guess im weird, and im supposed to be like others, grab things because fancy! and then mill around doing nothing because i have no idea what to do. Because retardation is a completly normal thing