[Myself] Breaking the round and having to restart it

Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

[Myself] Breaking the round and having to restart it

Post by Boris » #476238

Byond account and character name:Borisvanmemes/Tam Lin
Admin:borisvanmemes
Time and Server(Bagil or Sybil) incident occurred:Sybil, 8AM in some EU timezone.
ROUND ID HERE:#101753
Detailed summary:The admin spawned himself in at the thunderdome, and started messing around with varedited items such as a ten round burst shotgun, a while later they just kept going deeper and deeper till it was a 3000 burst shotgun that fired pulse slugs, they then fired this shotgun and lagged the MC to shit, ending in the round having to be restarted
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: [Myself] Breaking the round and having to restart it

Post by Arianya » #476542

I left this open while I waited to speak to Boris to understand whether this was serious or a shitpost.

It's intended seriously, and even if you think it's a meme that doesn't enable breaking FNR rules.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #476545

I was playing during this round and the lag was persistent and basically made the round unplayable. To your credit you let us know it was your fault and were working on it. Then you made a restart vote when it became clear it wasnt fixing itself. As a one off thing this doesn’t really seem like a big deal to me and really is just a lesson to mess with crazy VV stuff in a private server next time. I dont really think any action should be taken on this complaint.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #476720

If we're taking this seriously then yeah, precedent has always been that admins will fuck up sometimes and may break the rounds in unforeseeable, unrecoverable ways that necessitate forced restarts and a loss of in-round progress. Unless such mistakes are regularly recurrent or apparently malicious, there has never been a precedent set for punishing such accidents.

It's admirable that you'd want this taken seriously, Boris, but real talk, nobody's going to get mad at you for screwing up once, even if it was in your eyes a colossal blunder, unless you don't make a sincere effort to learn from the mistake and avoid repeating it.

(Edit for possible citation of precedent(?))
We have a thread specifically dedicated to admin errors varying in scale from accidental gibbing to roundbreaking varedits, and unless I'm widely off the mark here, none of these were ever formally punished since the admins responsible owned up to their mistake, apologized, and attempted to do better in future. While presented largely for comedic purposes, this thread is still a useful example of the kind of accidents admins can be entirely forgiven for if they make a genuine effort to improve themselves as a result.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1883
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #476754

Real talk; admins occasionally fuck the round up while messing about and that's sort of acknowledged. As long as its not becoming a habit and antags got their tokens, it doesnt really need further complaint.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #476807

No need to be a flagellant about it, we've all broken the server at least once.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #476861

it's more surprising it took you so long, remind me to tell you the foam story another time
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #477622

We're not upholding this complaint. The incident was minor and the admin is (rather evidently) remorseful and learnt their lesson.

In general I'm going to say that self-flagellating admin complaints are not the answer to this kind of thing, even though its understandable to feel bad. Discuss the situation with other admins, discuss it with the players affected in OOC. Learn a lesson and avoid it in future.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg