Automated ERTs and Deathsquads

A place to record your ideas for the game.
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Automated ERTs and Deathsquads

Post by actioninja » #477349

Been thinking about this one a while. Something to lengthen rounds, get more people actually playing, and give murderbones a real threat to worry about.
Suit sensors activation/death report being below a certain threshold, large amount of fire alarms triggered, high amounts of atmos air alarms, or high amounts of power alarms could trigger a new "antag" event spawn, the Centcomm Investigator.

The Investigator would be similar to the familiar Centcomm Internal Affairs agent, but with a different angle. Instead of performing routine inspection or negotiations or something of the like, they are there to determine the cause of whatever problem got them called in the first place, then return back to Centcomm and make a call on whether or not an ERT is needed, what type if so, and what they need to do. You could add some additional player agency by adding things like the ability to flag heads as "incompetent" and have them forcibly relieved of duty by a support officer, notes that would be visible to the ERT. They would be lightly armed, if at all, and there could potentially be multiple variants. ie, undercover agent, etc.

The investigator would have a deadman's switch. Just outright killing them would immediately trigger a security response team. There could also potentially be some kind of time limit, say, 15 minutes to perform their investigation and return, if they fail to do so a security ERT could be triggered as well.
Once their report is finished and submitted, the appropriate ERT would be called in correspondence to whatever their report was. The ERT's goal would be to attempt to correct whatever the problem was that caused the investigator to be called, and assist survivors if relevant. They also could potentially come with support officers as previously stated that would serve as a replacement head to flagged positions.

Deathsquads could be called automatically based on a deadman's switch on the ERT. If every single ERT member dies, a deathsquad could be spawned as well. If this has happened the round is likely too far gone for any chance of recovery anyways. This would be a true full power death squad with the objective to purge all remaining survivors. Maybe even make this an explicit round ender, give them lifeform scanners or something that lock on to the nearest living human, round ends when every crew member is dead.

Problems I haven't really thought of a good way to resolve:
1. What do you do with the investigator once they've finished their job or the ERTs once they've finished their jobs?
2. What if murderboners view this as a challenge and murderbone harder to trigger the ERT response?

Mostly posting this to get feedback and other ideas. Fire away.

inb4 "digg spacing"
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Re: Automated ERTs and Deathsquads

Post by leibniz » #477350

no
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #477353

yes
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #477354

We've had this discussion few times before. My opinion is that it will devolve into murderboner race to see who can kill the most, and then survive against erp squad. Counterintuitively counterproductive.

edeet.
so the problem 2, as you've noticed
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #477355

Lexia black has killed an entire deathsquad with a disarm button and a potted plant
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #477378

actioninja wrote: Problems I haven't really thought of a good way to resolve:
1. What do you do with the investigator once they've finished their job or the ERTs once they've finished their jobs?
2. What if murderboners view this as a challenge and murderbone harder to trigger the ERT response?
1. Give them a sleeper to step into when the job is done, that despawns them. If an ERT is spawned, they're guaranteed a spot on it if they want one. Otherwise, back to ghosthood.
2. Then they'll get put down by the ERT/deathsquad, probably. Working As Intended.

This sort of feature would have to be disabled on low/deadpop rounds, though. Imagine there's five people on a space station, you're the traitor, you kill one of them, suddenly an Inspector shows up...
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Caiggas
Byond Username: Caiggas

Post by Caiggas » #477379

I like the idea, but I agree it would have to be for midpop and up rounds.

I share the concerns with it becoming a murderbone race, although many of the murdered people would get a chance at being one of the responding roles.

Trouble with the Inspector getting a guaranteed chance on the ERT team is that they are going to call for ERT every time, so they can do that too. I'd say do the opposite. Take them OUT of the pool for ERT and Deathsquad. This makes sure that whomever agrees to take the role doesn't have any biases on their report.
“A choice with a clear optimal answer isn't actually a choice, and therefore isn't fun”

VV Quote in which Goofball agrees to follow the will of the players if he gets elected as headmin. VV
Spoiler:
Caiggas wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Caiggas wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Caiggas wrote: Now, what if you get a majority of feedback against a decision you have made? Are you just going to accept the feedback but ignore it, are you going to "think about it", but still do what you feel is correct, or are you going to COMPLETELY allow the feedback to dictate your decision regardless of your own opinions? For me to concede those last points, I can ONLY accept the last option. Otherwise you can just veto player democracy anytime you feel like it.
like the whistleblower thing, i'm sure some player will come up with a better alternative for the idea that works out and gives more power to the proletariat player and coder instead of the bourgeois
That's not an answer to the question. Let me put it more plainly. If the majority of player feedback is AGAINST a decision you made, are you or are you not going to change the decision to align with the majority of player feedback? Its a yes or no question.
uh, yes? what part of that wasn't clear
Trying to make sure there is no ambiguity in your answer. I don't want you to accuse me of taking something out of context if I ever have to throw the screenshot of this at you.
Nalzul
Byond Username: Blargety

Post by Nalzul » #477393

In my experience as an admin ERTs and DS are hardly used because you're generally punishing a player for doing well. Investigators and Chronolegions are similar too in that you award shitters for acting like retards when you could just bwoink them (mainly for chrono though). Mind you, ERTs and DS have their time and places, but most of the time it is not the right situation to use them.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #477407

Nalzul wrote:In my experience as an admin ERTs and DS are hardly used because you're generally punishing a player for doing well. Investigators and Chronolegions are similar too in that you award shitters for acting like retards when you could just bwoink them (mainly for chrono though). Mind you, ERTs and DS have their time and places, but most of the time it is not the right situation to use them.
Either that or they'll see it as a challenge or goal to hit and murderbone more often because of it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #477412

datorangebottle wrote:2. Then they'll get put down by the ERT/deathsquad, probably. Working As Intended.
You're missing the point. The possible issue arising from this solution is that you will get mass murderboner into subsequent ert every round.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #477424

is that a worse alternative than mass murder>no ERT every round? murderboners will murderbone, the bad ones will die before they hit big numbers anyways.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #477425

I mean as i've stated before the strongest murderboners will just end up with Deathsquad gear.

send in a chrono legionare if the deathsquad fails/give the deathsquad nuke codes.

Edit: This is how I believe it should work.

Now, it's if 90% of the crew is dead, ai's dead, and no one can call it. The shuttles called.

I feel that it should be, if the shuttle is recalled. Then an ERT spawns.

If ERT dies, then deathsquad. I feel like this is fair, as if the majority of the playerbase is literally dead and out of the round, and an antag is preventing the game from ending. Even though this is against the rules, partially.

The game should have alternative methods to end the round. right?
► Show Spoiler
actioninja

Post by actioninja » #477426

Nalzul wrote:In my experience as an admin ERTs and DS are hardly used because you're generally punishing a player for doing well.
That's part of the goal here actually. Punish murderboners for murderboning really hard in a mechanical way that gives them something besides a bunch of unarmed dumbasses to fight.
The Deathsquad would be more of a round ender as stated. Get things moving if the shuttle isn't called and there's a few stragglers bumbling around while some carped up ert suit wearing motherfucker is going ham.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #477431

imsxz wrote:is that a worse alternative than mass murder>no ERT every round? murderboners will murderbone, the bad ones will die before they hit big numbers anyways.
Yeah but now murderboner doesn't happen every round. But if you create quasi-event-like challenge, it will come out of the woodwork.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #477450

This is basically rewarding murderbone. It would be better if you just gave heads of staff a way to pay for an ERT instead of making it automatic.

Remember, murderboners want combat.
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #477470

The only place where I think this makes sense is for a Paranormal ERT to spawn or at least have a chance to spawn on cult rounds once the cult hits halo stage.

Maybe make it an X% chance per minute after that point so it's not too predictable. Also maybe reduce or eliminate the spawn chance when the shuttle is being called, so the only counter to lategame cult is no longer just to call the damn shuttle and wait.

You could arguably have something similar for rev rounds that have reached the point where revs are a large percentage of crew but a head or two has managed to survive. Gives heads/loyalists a small chance to fight back rather than turn it into a boring 'search for the CE' end.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #477481

Every single time this concept is brought up, for years, among the first things people say is that it is 'rewarding murderboners' and it'll become 'a goal to work towards' for mass murdering.

But will it?

Deathsquads are the most powerful force in the game barring admin shenanigans, they already have a lot of mechanics in their favour like mindshield firing implants, unslippable, insane armour that survived the armour purge and more.

A few minor tweaks and you can ensure that a Deathsquad will not even come close to some kind of reward for mass murdering. It won't be like GTA where you get to fight the army and possibly win, it should be akin to Nar Sie showing up, you've lost and you can't beat it.

Some quick tweaks for this concept could be these special DS could have firing pins tied to the user, not a loyalty implant. Their armour cannot be removed at all. The E-Shields get a firing pin and they won't work if someone else picks it up. Tracking beacon that can be set to follow the mass murderer, etc.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #477486

You are kinda missing the obvious, so let me point it out, again. Murderboner doesn't care that it dies. They don't care about rp, they don't care about objectives, they want to ruin your good time and disrupt the round. We are talking about assistant mains and ghost-role fishermen. The fact that super-powerful deathsquid comes is merely a cherry on top of the cake of shitting things up. And let's be honest, when deathqsuid/erp comes, the round will probably come to an end one way or the other soon.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #477488

Then this system won't change much, perhaps a more guaranteed ERT might help keep some people alive.

If a person wants to mass kill everyone they will do so irrespective.

If that is such a issue then perhaps a better idea is to investigate disencouraging murderboners.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #477495

>jo dinky kills half the station
>deathsquad called
>they kill the other half because they’re the fucking deathsquad that’s what they’re for
>10th round in a row
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #477497

TBH I'm not sure about the ERT part, but summoning the deathsquad seems like a bad idea.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #477537

IC Issue
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #477546

Dr_bee wrote:This is basically rewarding murderbone. It would be better if you just gave heads of staff a way to pay for an ERT instead of making it automatic.

Remember, murderboners want combat.
Then why did we punish admins for spawning deathsquads to fight clock cult? I thought murderboners wanted combat.

Call this a strawman if you want but I still find that to be a valid point. Clock cult may be a conversion antag however there is still an example, maybe even more, where admins got punished for trying to 'reward' antags with more dangerous foes.
actioninja

Post by actioninja » #477606

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:>jo dinky kills half the station
>deathsquad called
>they kill the other half because they’re the fucking deathsquad that’s what they’re for
>10th round in a row
Ideally the deathsquad would only be summoned if the round has hit "irreversible levels of fucked." More of an early round ender to spare everyone than anything else.