/mtgag/ Magic The Gathering Arena General

Talk about video games here
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

/mtgag/ Magic The Gathering Arena General

Post by Lumbermancer » #477736

Since nobody is playing the game apparently, this will be my private area to blogpost.

So I've hit Mythic yesterday, with Mogwais meme control decks of all things. It's pretty fun, try it out.

I play mostly control and jank, that's how I roll. Fuck red unga bunga.
So I crafted 2 more Angraths, because this guy is fun as hell, and I'm running that one deck with Captive Audience. It generally wrecks aggro pretty well, but I want to fit in few Bairds though, because I like his effect. Probably replacing Forbidding Spirit.
Spoiler:
1 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
1 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
2 Mountain (RIX) 195
4 Plains (XLN) 263
6 Swamp (XLN) 271
2 Banefire (M19) 130
3 Fountain of Renewal (M19) 235
1 Detection Tower (M19) 249
2 Dawn of Hope (GRN) 8
2 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
2 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
3 Forbidding Spirit (RNA) 9
3 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
4 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
2 Captive Audience (RNA) 160
3 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
3 Mortify (RNA) 192
1 Consecrate // Consume (RNA) 224
2 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
2 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
3 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
3 Angrath, the Flame-Chained (RIX) 152
2 Forsaken Sanctuary (RIX) 187
1 Profane Procession (RIX) 166

2 Duress (XLN) 105
1 Banefire (M19) 130
2 Bedevil (RNA) 157
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
2 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
2 Sorcerous Spyglass (XLN) 248
Check out my decks. I'm out of slots though, I do hope they fucking add more because it's getting ridiculous.
Spoiler:
Anyway, that's all for today. See you guys tomorrow I guess. Remember to do your dailies.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Re: /mtgag/ Magic The Gathering Arena General

Post by Floiven » #477833

I climbed to diamond with izzet drakes and kinda lost the drive to continue ranked, so I just do my dailies with janky stuff in play mode. Currently memeing it up with mirror march and other ridiculous effects. I do wanna make a mardu aristocrats deck though. I also wish there were more flicker effects in the format at the moment, I loves me some recurring value. Also, that Thran deck is pretty hilarious, if I had more stuff for already I'd make it as well.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #477848

Hey there buddy! Welcome to the thread!

Izzet drakes is something I really hate, because how braindead it feels. It's just shitting out all burn and draw (including nonsense like Warlords Fury just to cycle) to fill graveyard and pump out the drakes. Wew lad.

But Jank is my thing. Right now I'm trying to bring back my Azor's Gate -> Mnemonic Betrayal deck up to RA standard, because everyone runs so many artifact removal like Invoke the Divine, Naturalize or Bedevil that it really ruins my groove. I'm also trying to make Dovin + Priest of the Forgotten meme combo, because I use Priest in a different deck with Skeletons, and it's fun as hell.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Floiven

Post by Floiven » #477859

Izzet drakes I'd argue is actually hard to play well, as it only has a limited number of win cons (the drakes and the pteramanders if you're running them) that you have to juggle keeping in play to block things to keep you from dying, getting cantrips in the bin to pump your drakes without tapping out to counter a bomb or save your drakes, and doing the mental calculations to think ahead if you can swing for lethal accounting for all that. I thought it was kinda mindless as well until I started getting really into it.

I wanted to mess around with a lot of the cool conditional flip things from the Ixalan block, but I started when GRN came out so I didn't have a chance to really open those packs. I wanna make things like nu-gaea's cradle work though (growing rites of Itlimoc), as ramping out craploads of mana tickles my inner Timmy.

What's the dovin+priest combo? Making tokens and saccing them? I was thinking that would work well in some sorta Judith+afterlife creatures shell, but it'd be dead to cry of the carnarium instantly I'd think. And yeah, I run crushing canopy etc as a middle finger to wilderness rec and azcanta in normal play.

My steam info is id/brakula, I'm down for some matches sometime between my classwork.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #478166

I literaly only play dinos every deck I have is 99percent dinos except when one guy killed me with you remove opponets hand with freebooters and I copied his deck and got like 6 wins in a row

not am good at magic before mtga i had only ever played magic commander like twice at a friends house

haven't play mtga since before ravinca thingie release
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #478242

Floiven wrote:Izzet drakes I'd argue is actually hard to play well
Oh I'm not saying they are super powerful or anything, it's just I don't like the theme, at least not the current archetype that I've seen. Only Drakes I've ever used are in Jeskai style control.
Floiven wrote:as ramping out craploads of mana tickles my inner Timmy.
The crazy treasure combo I've recently seen is Smothering Tithe into High Alert, but I'm lacking the Ixalan cards too.

Flovien wrote:What's the dovin+priest combo? Making tokens and saccing them?
Quite, I have THIS deck, which not technically built around Priests, but I've won solely thanks to them too many times to ignore it. The two mana they give you is enough to bring back Skeleton you just sacced, it's crazy! So I was thinking about making an Esper variant, where all the weenies pump up Dovin, and Dovin giving you thopthers to sacc when you need. Maybe put in Karn too, I don't have Tezzeret unfortunately.
Spoiler:
2 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
2 Memorial to Folly (DAR) 242
2 The Eldest Reborn (DAR) 90
4 Dusk Legion Zealot (RIX) 70
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
1 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
4 Reassembling Skeleton (M19) 116
3 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
4 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
2 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
3 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
3 Mortify (RNA) 192
2 Seraph of the Scales (RNA) 205
3 Revival // Revenge (RNA) 228
2 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
6 Swamp (RNA) 262
8 Plains (GRN) 260

1 Golden Demise (RIX) 73
2 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
2 Ixalan's Binding (XLN) 17
2 Kitesail Freebooter (XLN) 110
2 Duress (M19) 94
2 Consecrate // Consume (RNA) 224
TheWiznard wrote:I literaly only play dinos every deck
Then I do hope you got all the fancy Ghalta's from Singleton. Also I hope you tried Forerunner of the Empire combos, cause they're disgusting when they work. Also I think Commander is coming to Arena maybe?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #478253

And I love Kaya so much, they never see her coming, always forget about the ult. He could have at the very least -3 Teferi and bounce one of my little guys, giving himself one more turn, but alas...no one expects Kaya to stab them in the fucking back.
Spoiler:
Here we have the Fall of Thran in action, it makes people concede right away.
Spoiler:
Post more images, I'm sick and tired of real /mtgag/.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #478675

pretty much forerunner in every deck fav thing is forerunner + assure and polyraptor

https://i.imgur.com/iwgRlEc.jpg?1
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #478814

Well I've finally crafted a working Priest of the Thopther deck, and it works pretty good I think. But I don't really want to share it with you, cause it's the first thing I've done by myself that seems ok, so I want it to be only mine :oops:
Floiven

Post by Floiven » #479011

Kaya is low key one of the best pw's atm, she's starting to see more play now which is nice.

I pulled a 4th mirror march so I've been doing my dailies with decks that try to make either tons of copies of value/mana tapping/treasure making creatures for value, or tons of copies of huge dino duders that have enter the battlefield effects. 50% of the time, it's great!
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #479124

And don't forget her ult heals you. I did few times, and lost the match because of it. Too often I try to stall for a killing blow for no reason.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487153

Linkin Spark

[youtube]b5W9t62t10I[/youtube]
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #487382

Played it a bitty got a simic deck going pretty generically.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #487454

i stopped playing around amonkhet and was in the beta for arena but havent really touched it since then

how is it in terms of someone who'd want to play casually and build funny meme decks? i know my options are limited since the cards on offer are relatively recent but still
Limey wrote:its too late.
nullbear
Byond Username: Nullbear

Post by nullbear » #487460

I was running a low-cost mono white ajani deck through ranked for a while, then I decided to make a meme deck using all of my 6+ mana cards, +Xtra mana and draw.

Ended up winning with it 5 times in a row, and playing all 100 cards in a couple of games:

http://i.imgur.com/I2tMA5M
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #487461

For meme decks, it's okay to fuck around, but they have to be at least somewhat viable even in casual play to have any fun with them.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487486

Qbopper wrote:i stopped playing around amonkhet and was in the beta for arena but havent really touched it since then

how is it in terms of someone who'd want to play casually and build funny meme decks? i know my options are limited since the cards on offer are relatively recent but still
See, I always have problems answering questions like these, because it depends. Do you want to go purely f2p route? Then I'm gonna say no, since funny meme decks include a lot of mythic and rare cards from older sets. Do you want to spend money? Then it depends on how much you have to burn. I've spent around $200 so far because I'm a fucking idiot, and I play mostly fun meme jank decks, and I'm still missing certain cards I would like to have. I mean I could get them right now, I have enough wild cards, but now I'm saving for the upcoming WOTS.

Casually you won't do all the dailies, meaning you f2p gains will be limited too.
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #487490

4-6 games every 3 days is enough to get all the dailies. 15 games/week to get 3 booster packs.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487494

4-6 games? 4-6 wins, that can be waaay more games. Say, last deck I crafted ended up going 2 wins 19 loses. That said I do concede a lot.
And how does 4-6 wins get you all the dailies exactly? 6 wins will give 600 gold (not counting the quest) and 1 ICR. You are still missing 150 gold, and probably most importantly 5 more ICR's.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #487497

Lumbermancer wrote:
Qbopper wrote:i stopped playing around amonkhet and was in the beta for arena but havent really touched it since then

See, I always have problems answering questions like these, because it depends. Do you want to go purely f2p route? Then I'm gonna say no, since funny meme decks include a lot of mythic and rare cards from older sets. Do you want to spend money? Then it depends on how much you have to burn. I've spent around $200 so far because I'm a fucking idiot, and I play mostly fun meme jank decks, and I'm still missing certain cards I would like to have. I mean I could get them right now, I have enough wild cards, but now I'm saving for the upcoming WOTS.

Casually you won't do all the dailies, meaning you f2p gains will be limited too.
i don't have the money to start building a collection online ESPECIALLY when i can't be buying singles

"casually" for me must be different for you because I can do dailies, just not "play for hours every day"
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487499

Every six packs you open you get 1 uncommon wildcard and 1 mythic or rare wildcard, you can then redeem those wildcards for any card you wish. So technically you could brute force it. And doing all the dailies could take hours, depending on your winrate.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487514

Even longer when you run into one of my Esper bretheren
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #487599

dw i am a god and i never lose
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487645

Qbopper wrote:dw i am a god and i never lose
Fight me in card games coward you won't.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487652

Oh yeah? Can you handle my Omniscient Pelakka Wurm?
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487741

Somebody actually let you do that to them.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487756

But do you think they will allow me to do Bolas?

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487762

Lumbermancer wrote:But do you think they will allow me to do Bolas?

Grixis proliferate is going to be a deck and I'm super hyped.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #487795

Hi, I have like thirty different decks and they're all jank, AMA.

Actually tho, my favorite is a variant of blue-black control. Instead of running disinformation campaign and things specifically to support it, I run creatures like Kitesail Freebooter, Hostage Taker, and Ravenous Chupacabra, then cast Quasiduplicate on them to keep my opponent's board clear and steal their gameplan.

Also, the new bolas is super fun with castaway jace and oath of teferi. Yeah, lemme just uh. +1, -5, get two copies, +1, -5, get four, +1, -5, get eight copies...
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487822

datorangebottle wrote: Also, the new bolas is super fun with castaway jace and oath of teferi. Yeah, lemme just uh. +1, -5, get two copies, +1, -5, get four, +1, -5, get eight copies...
Actually sounds like something that will need an oracle ruling. Would Bolas create a new Bolas or a new Jace? Bolas says he gets all abilities but it doesn't say his name replaces all instances of other names. Jace says it creates a new copy of itself by name.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487837

201.4b If an ability of an object refers to that object by name, and an object with a different name gains that ability, each instance of the first name in the gained ability that refers to the first object by name should be treated as the second name.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #487838

Creating a ton of jaces using bolas would still be hilarious. But yeah, rules.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #487890

cedarbridge wrote:
Qbopper wrote:dw i am a god and i never lose
Fight me in card games coward you won't.
you're right i'm too busy with school to even play ss13 let alone start playing magic again
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #487893

Stay in school. Rarely play.
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #487934

Anyone up to playing against my half meme half serious decks?

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487993

datorangebottle wrote:Anyone up to playing against my half meme half serious decks?
Just ping me on discord sometime.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #488024

Fuck discord. Add me on Steam, I added it in 2nd post. Flovien is already my card buddy, but he's a filthy American so our timezones don't converge well enough for video games.

But don't forget, memes beat vampires.
Spoiler:
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #488303

Lumbermancer wrote: But don't forget, memes beat vampires.
I am also a filthy american.

Speaking of memes, my meme just beat a tier deck through superior skill.

Details below if you care.
Spoiler:
I am on Blue Black Quasiduplicate control. It's a meme I made that uses creatures like ravenous chupacabra and hostage taker, then copies them, to control the board and aggro out with them and the stolen things to win the game.

My opponent is on Jeskai Control, perhaps a variant of it? Featuring ral zarek, niv mizzet, and, of course, ya boi Teferi.

Last two turns of the game, after a constant counter-war and us staring at eachother for a while.

His boardstate: A teferi emblem, teferi, ral, and niv. Two cards left in his deck. Three lands untapped thanks to teferi +1.

My boardstate: 10 lands left. No other permanents.
My hand: Mirror Image, Quasiduplicate, Quasiduplicate. Two quasiduplicates in the graveyard.

It goes to my turn. I draw a card- Syncopate. I think for a minute, tryingto find an out to losing. Then I find it. I cast Mirror Image, intending to evoke a BM response of some kind. HE FALLS FOR IT. He lightning strikes my face to trigger niv-mizzet for lethal. I syncopate for 6, exiling his lightning strike and triggering niv-mizzet a second time. His one mana left is red/white and he isn't running shock. I go down to 2 and pass to him.

He draws from an empty library and loses the game.
cedarbridge wrote:Just ping me on discord sometime.
Shore thing.

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #489590

When all goes according to plan.
Spoiler:
I was taken down to like 7 hp, and survived multiple turns of Ajani's emblem.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #490851

Here. We. Go.
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #490935

Spoiler:
Happened more than once, I can't believe they let me do this.
Anyway running a doofy sub optimal dreadhorde invasion, simic ascendency deck it's fun for me but a selesnya deck just pumping counters onto tokens would probably do better.
Extra fun running black and blue with no counter spells and one copy of find/finality as the only removal rest is bounce and lazotep plating I don't understand why I did this.
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #492348

https://imgur.com/a/RTWiJll
I think i win. Turn 8.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #492793

Started playing a bit, not touching ranked for the time being because I can't be assed to tryhard
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #492886

ironically ladder tryharding consists of playing cheapest and most effective decks like rdw
nullbear

Post by nullbear » #511312

Gotta get those broken gimmick decks in before the next block is released:

Deal 100 damage, and Draw 100 cards.
Spoiler:
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #511397

I've made many many many more gimmicky decks since I last posted. Here's my list:
Spoiler:
From the top:
Kethis
Simic Elves
Selesnya Wolves
Green Vivien Tribal
Dimir Zombies
5-color niv-mizzet
Golgari Explore
Simic Flash(not that one)
Dimir Mill
Jeskai Discard
Temur Elementals(of course)
Kykar
Orzhov Bolas's Citadel
Dimir Artifacts
Izzet Artifacts
Jund Bontu
Gruul Mirror March
Orzhov Teysa
Simic Counters
Simic Arkbow
Boros Feather
Golgari Undergrowth
Azorius Dovin
Azorius Fliers
Dimir Quasiduplicate Control
Dimir Surveil
Izzet Storm
Grixis Bolas
Izzet Discard

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #511402

You're supposed to post image so people can judge your deck names.
Spoiler:
Also also...
Spoiler:
Two wildcards for one historic card.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #512528

mah boi Garruk is back!

[youtube]mzBrfW7Ipzg[/youtube]
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #579271

This game is lame, never played magic before, and i got to plat2 within a week of ranked play off of a scute swarm mutate deck.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #579273

playing someone elses competetive list is lame. all the fun comes from building janky decks with crazy combos and making them work.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]