Attempting to fix the bug with the syndicate item "camera bug"

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Stillplant
Byond Username: Stillplant

Attempting to fix the bug with the syndicate item "camera bug"

Post by Stillplant » #479581

I've decided to try and take a stab at the camera bug bug, as described in issue 39975. As Angustmeta described, the problem is that the bug can not be reproducted on a private server.

My suspicion is that the bug is caused by the configuration. However, since I don't know how your servers are configured, I can't test my hypothesis. Is there somewhere where I could look up how your servers are configured, so that I could try and reproduce the bug?

I, ofcourse, don't know whether Angustmeta has already tried that.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Attempting to fix the bug with the syndicate item "camera bug"

Post by oranges » #479633

Stillplant

Post by Stillplant » #479662

Thanks.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #479985

Oddly, the camera bug showed the entire list of cameras the last time I used it on the server. Is this not supposed to be the case?
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Angust
Byond Username: Angust

Post by Angust » #481284

Stillplant wrote: I, ofcourse, don't know whether Angustmeta has already tried that.
I have not.
datorangebottle wrote:Oddly, the camera bug showed the entire list of cameras the last time I used it on the server. Is this not supposed to be the case?
That's how it's supposed to work. Was this recent? Maybe it's fixed. Confirmation needed. Server name might also be relevant.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #481387

It was pretty recent, I generally only play on Sybil.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Stillplant

Post by Stillplant » #481784

datorangebottle wrote:Oddly, the camera bug showed the entire list of cameras the last time I used it on the server. Is this not supposed to be the case?
Not as far as I know.
Angust

Post by Angust » #481800

When you activate the camera bug, you get a list of cameras, each with a "monitor" button to the right of it. Clicking the monitor button gives you a list of mobs visible from the camera (such as Sergeant-at-Armsky in armory). You can then click a "track" button next to a mob's name and you'll get a "Last seen near "Armory - Internal (now)"" text, where "Armory - Internal" is clickable to make you see from that camera.

It seems clunky and buggy on private server now. Clicking cameras sometimes has long delays, and when clicking the tracked person's camera you only get a few seconds of view before being kicked out.

Anyhow I think the camera bug item works now. At least I could click it as an observer on Terry today and get the list of cameras up.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #481802

The bug has gone through a few iterations but has never been used much due to its first, I think, version. Basically it was cheap but you physically had to go plant it into cameras so its use was kind of little in regards to remotely viewing something useful and you don't got access to.

Later on, after actual bugs regarding the item made it even rarer used, it got changed, and someone just made it hack the camera network. You can Still plant it, I believe, and wiki says it just lets you disable that camera now. It's been this way now for a good while. The camera picking UI menu runs like complete ass but nobody has ever commonly used this item afaik and I've literally never noticed anyone but myself even bother experimenting with them. (They're fucking good for 1 tc btw)
Angust

Post by Angust » #481821

I agree it's a good item.

But scratch my previous post. The very next Terry round it was bugged again. No list of cameras appeared.
So it's probably some sort of condition that triggers it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #481828

Angust wrote:I agree it's a good item.

But scratch my previous post. The very next Terry round it was bugged again. No list of cameras appeared.
So it's probably some sort of condition that triggers it.
Did the map change between rounds?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Angust

Post by Angust » #482076

PKPenguin321 wrote: Did the map change between rounds?

It might have been round 103191 (item worked) and 103201 (did not work). Both on Metastation.

But I can't remember for my life, and I recall seeing pda-bombs on the one where it didn't work which was not bought on any of those rounds in the logs, so I'm very disappointed in myself for not screencapping.
Stillplant

Post by Stillplant » #486211

I tried it recently in the syndicate vr thing, and there it worked.