concept idea #1 thread for new chem/botany that orange wants to change

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

concept idea #1 thread for new chem/botany that orange wants to change

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #483203

chemical process station: it ll have its own “ore silo” style network of things that need input/output of chems or ingredients that can be processed into chems like the plant fridges, chem master, sleepers(if they get changed to not have infinite meds), ore silo, recycler (these will be explaimed later in the thread). It ll have a grind function, a big chem buffer of like 500u where all the the chems you took from the input list end, chem filter (like the chem master has), an electrolyzer which can decompose chems into its components (like water = oxygen) which could use either power or teslium to work. a chem stasys module which will use the frost oil to keep the buffer no_react as a turn on/off botton. once u like made atropine u can either output it to a secondary beaker which can be ejected or a chem master or sleepers.
recipe changes: certain things dont make sense to be made out of plants (like aluminium) they will either require either real minerals (ex stable plasma ,silver sulfarizine), ore biproducts that will be made in the ore silo when smelting(sulfur?) or recycler (ground aluminium can) or ghetto chem or cargo ll have chem kits with some liquid chems
map/job changes: maps changes wont be needed as it ll be handled by chem network and chemist ll have some starting chems and botany access, botany ll have some mutagen
pros / cons: solves some chem inconsistency without any big changes
Angust
Byond Username: Angust

Re: concept idea #1 thread for new chem/botany that orange wants to change

Post by Angust » #483273

I like your ideas. An ore silo style reagent deposit would keep the fast-paced gameplay with minimum tedium. Hopefully it would create a symbiotic relationship between botany and chemistry similar to current science/mining relations.

Some thoughts: Would giving the chemist botany access really be necessary? With your deposit idea we can give the chemist several optional ways of getting raw chems:
  • Plan A: Wait for botany.
  • Plan B: Order one or several of the new cargo chem crates.
  • Plan C: Run around and scrounge grindable stuff from all over the station and dump them into the processing plant, which can then grind them for you. Enjoy thinking of stuff to make with the results.
I mean giving botany access to the chemist would feel like giving mining access to the scientists. Better let HoP handle that if needed.

And let's not forget about xenobiology, which Oranges has mentioned in this context. Each one of the 21 basic slime extracts could get any number of extra chemical transmutations when injected with different chems, for even more ways of getting chems for processing. Respect to whoever would choose to code and try to balance it though.

Anyhow I look forward to having different raw chems available different rounds, for that variety and satisfaction when making the results.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #483706

xenobio has already medical things like regen jelly and those crossbreeds
Angust
Byond Username: Angust

Post by Angust » #483786

No I mean xenobio is envisioned to become another source for chems for chemistry somehow.

Though I don't know how to do that without it only benefitting the xenobiologists themselves.