Server Crash responsibility, antag token giveaway and more

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Server Crash responsibility, antag token giveaway and more

Post by Timonk » #484665

what's the point of this?

So Basically, Muh antag token

But actually, I made this post with the intention to change/edit the correlation "server crash = antag token?"

Well, my opinion is that there should always be consequences to server crashes (if admins are online) either in antag. Tokens for those that were antag in the aborted round (if they weren't dead beyond revival at the point of the crash) or the responsible player eating a ban.

So, there are 3 Sides that can be responsible, actually one is no one's fault but more on that.

1. The fault of admin fuckery

As the current "policy" says, admins can give out antag tokens if asked and that's fine.

2. Playerside fault

If the player did it with bad faith they should really eat a ban.
If the players did it on accident, give them a warning to not do it again.

3." but it's nobody's fault, the server crashed in itself"

Ahh, how do we all love Grey spots! It's either go dig in the logs for a cause, or, antag tokens! Would you like to lose your gosh darn antag roll to a dumb server crash? I think not. But again, "antag rolls are not sacred"

Also, giving antag tokens is generally only done if the player asks an admin. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.
Last edited by Timonk on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Server Crash responsibility, antag token giveaway and more

Post by Arianya » #484683

Timonk wrote: 1. The fault of admin fuckery

As the current "policy" says, admins can give out antag tokens if asked and that's fine.
OK
2. Playerside fault

If the player did it with bad faith they should really eat a ban.
If the players did it on accident, give them a warning to not do it again.
This is basically already the policy
3." but it's nobody's fault, the server crashed in itself"

Ahh, how do we all love Grey spots! It's either go dig in the logs for a cause, or, fucking antag tokens! Why the fuck should I lose my antag round if. Nobody is responsible for it?

Also, giving antag tokens is generally only done if the player asks an admin. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.
Antag tokens are a hacky, unofficial system. The use of an antag token messes with a round to a greater or lesser extent. If antag tokens start being handed out for every round that crashes, regardless of the time period when it happened, you'll have 6-9 people per crash round with antag tokens who throw off a round when they use their token.

Ultimately shit will happen. The server will crash, a random event will fuck you over by pure RNG, your internet connection will choke at a crucial moment, etc. It's better to chillax and move on then to hang on to your "ruined" antagonist round.

Ultimately antag tokens for admin fuckups are a goodwill attempt to apologise for an admin's specific misdemeanour, not a recognition of a god given right to an antag round.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #484747

antag rounds are not sacred

in accordance with our usual policy for how admins act if an admin dicks over your special one round privilege through explicit stupidity on their part you can get a token for it

otherwise it's literally like anything else, you don't get an antag token if a player kills you either
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #484779

otherwise it's literally like anything else, you don't get an antag token if a player kills you either
I didn't say that. If you die its your own fault. If the server crashes because of something out of your reach its unfair. I understand that antag rounds aren't sacred, but 8magine you rolling antag just for the server to crash for some reason

Also if the server crashes several times In a row you don't have to give out tokens every round. This "format" isnt a guideline
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #484787

We should do away with antag tokens entirely if players are gonna be this entitled.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #484791

Timonk wrote:If you die its your own fault. If the server crashes because of something out of your reach its unfair.
this isn't really true at all, there are a ton of circumstances in ss13 where you'll die and there will have been nothing that you could have done to prevent it. which is exactly the same as the server crashing.

antag tokens are admins apologizing for their mistakes. the server doesn't apologize, it's a machine with some software running on it.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #484827

This is the ancient and forgotten antagonist token policy I wrote up and enacted during my headmin time, that I'm not sure is followed or what.
Antagonist tokens are simply a note an admin gives a player which allows them to trade in for antagonist. These are given in cases where an admin may ruin an round beyond the point of any redemption. In some cases these are given as rewards for specific events like the wiki drive or feature freeze with approval from headmins for them to be given.

These tokens may be given away by admins should they mess up a standard round; as in a round that didn't have any specific admin event running and was going on its natural course before a mistake was committed. What do I mean by messing up? Well, things like crashing the server or spawning things in that ended up making the round unplayable from lag.

Tokens are not to be given when something outside an admin's control happens; such as the server just locking up and crashing without an admin doing anything, team antagonist killing each other by accident or even incidentally, and the player losing connection and dying. They WILL NOT be given just because you feel like giving one out for something or the other.

These tokens are not to be given out lightly; somethings should be taken into consideration such as the above mentioned reasons, round length, and was the round about over if a token should be given. If the round was practically going to be over with the shuttle on it's way then it wouldn't really warrant a token be handed out when the antagonist generally made good use of the previous round at that point. Alternatives should be considered as well before handing out tokens, such as recreating the previous round. If you messed up a round up that hardly is underway; is acknowledge your error, apologize to everyone, and try to recreate the previous round. As in set the mode to secret and make the affected antagonist from the previous round the same antagonist type or less. Example, you crashed the server by accident and it was traitor. You apologize for the error and then remake the previous round's traitors as traitors for the new round. The issue generally gets resolved without much drama at that point that is fair to everyone.

If a token has to be given; do not give them being vague and open. You need to specify what antagonist type was affected and what they are allowed to trade for as to prevent a larger number of people being able to "trade up" for something rarer/stronger. Example: If you messed up a traitor round, you need to specify that they are allowed to trade for traitor or something that is lesser like revenant. Exercise similar judgement and restraint that is used with telecrystal trades. Additionally, when a TC trade occurs you should try to put them in rounds where it doesn't end up causing more confusion than is needed. Using the previous example of the traitor round; when you let someone claim the token you shouldn't put them in the middle of a cult round as a traitor.

In all honesty, the best solution to this is try not to fuck shit up as we don't want to make a habit of handing tokens out. Repeatedly interfering with rounds can result in punishment if a trend is seen doing such and any notes regarding tokens may be examined. Additionally, if you are unsure of a situation where you believe they are warranted; you can consult with others in adminbus and specifically try to consult with a headmin.
I intended to make a copy of this with less admin jargon to explain it to players a wiki page, but didn't get around to it before headmin election and not being re-elected.
Freedom
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #484903

subject217 wrote:there are a ton of circumstances in ss13 where you'll die and there will have been nothing that you could have done to prevent it.
Isn't that like 75% of the game? You dying due to something you weren't even remotely involved with.
--Crocodillo

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #484906

You did not earn antag, you are not entitled to a good regular round, nor a good antag round. You are entitled to nothing. The game is a shithole of chaos.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #484912

Antag token for when I due to meteors please
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #484921

Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #484999

Dax Dupont wrote:if players are gonna be this entitled.
Oof ouch my bones
Which passage of the text i wrote sounds entitled to you? I may Change it to sound less entitled because I don't want to sound entitled at all
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #485001

Stickymayhem wrote:You did not earn antag, you are not entitled to a good regular round, nor a good antag round. You are entitled to nothing. The game is a shithole of chaos.

is based and bugpilled
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #485102

Timonk wrote:Which passage of the text i wrote sounds entitled to you? I may Change it to sound less entitled because I don't want to sound entitled at all
Why the fuck should I lose my antag round if. Nobody is responsible for it?
I got you fam. It has been explained plenty already but tokens are just a way for a admin who made a big fuck up to try and make up for it. You aren't entitled to have antagonist replaced if unfortunate server stability strikes.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #485119

Threads like this are why we need to stop emphasizing antag status as some sort of reward.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #485120

10)Losing is part of the game.
Your character will frequently die, sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #485175

oranges wrote:10)Losing is part of the game.
Your character will frequently die, sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose.
Tokens for those that were antag in the aborted round (if they weren't dead beyond revival at the point of the crash)
Oranges not even reading my thread smh smh
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #485176

Gigapuddi420 wrote:
Timonk wrote:Which passage of the text i wrote sounds entitled to you? I may Change it to sound less entitled because I don't want to sound entitled at all
Why the fuck should I lose my antag round if. Nobody is responsible for it?
I got you fam. It has been explained plenty already but tokens are just a way for a admin who made a big fuck up to try and make up for it. You aren't entitled to have antagonist replaced if unfortunate server stability strikes.
There, fixed it. Now it doesn't sound as entitled
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #485466

What if we just removed antag roles instead
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #485901

cedarbridge wrote:What if we just removed antag roles instead
No u
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #486179

Stickymayhem wrote:You did not earn antag, you are not entitled to a good regular round, nor a good antag round. You are entitled to nothing. The game is a shithole of chaos.
Bingo.
Antag tokens are bad because then people think they are entitled to them when in this game you're entitled to nothing. The things are basically an urban myth that is now and again perpetuated when they're handed out for whatever stupid reason. Remove the function so it don't exist and this stupid argument will stop cropping up.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #486215

headmins should just lock this entitled thread lmao
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #486263

only way to get an antag coin from a server crash would be if an admin caused the crash by doing esotheric things with code and he would by give coins by his own will, if you complain about no antag coins you ll be laughed at
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #486275

I ded, dieing to a bug doesn’t give you a free revive either so why would losing a tator roll matter.
Next thing you’re gonna want tokens for pressing “yes” but not getting it...
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #486312

Antag is a privilege not a right. OP is entitled and should be barred from ever getting antag tokens
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?