Endgame gateway

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Endgame gateway

Post by Time-Green » #486010

Might fix the problem with short rounds.

Basically, we add something like the awaymission Gateway and lock it behind some lategame stuff. The crew can then construct said Gateway to an endgame area.

Instead of miners, it'll kinda be everyone that feels like it that will be going there, like bored assistants. If we lock some other job specific content there, people will be inclined to explore and gather resources to unlock some rare lategame stuff.

We could kinda have like a rotation and save on lag if we have the area generate once a gateway is constructed. Instead of regular shitload of fauna, just have a few that hunt players from a distance so that you don't need to necessarily be armed to the teeth, but just good at running.
Limbo
A dark, dusty place filled with a bunch of Cthulian horrors that hunt down players

Space Siberia
A big frozen area, that can safely be traversed with some winter clothes. Will definitely need yeti gorillas, wheezeworts and snow storms

I haven't really made that many of them up.

This is kind of a big thing so I wanna know what others think before I do something stupid
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Endgame gateway

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #486030

Time-Green wrote:Basically, we add something like the awaymission Gateway and lock it behind some lategame stuff. The crew can then construct said Gateway to an endgame area.

Instead of miners, it'll kinda be everyone that feels like it that will be going there, like bored assistants. If we lock some other job specific content there, people will be inclined to explore and gather resources to unlock some rare lategame stuff.

Instead of regular shitload of fauna, just have a few that hunt players from a distance so that you don't need to necessarily be armed to the teeth, but just good at running.
Limbo
A dark, dusty place filled with a bunch of Cthulian horrors that hunt down players

Space Siberia
A big frozen area, that can safely be traversed with some winter clothes. Will definitely need yeti gorillas, wheezeworts and snow storms

I haven't really made that many of them up.

This is kind of a big thing so I wanna know what others think before I do something stupid
1. Everyone will rush for said gateway just to have loot/fun. Depending on how lategame it is, that probably won't be as bad as PLS WAIT TWENTY MINUTES though since it takes effort.
2. There is one thing I have learned from experience and watching other people: if you want something done right then do everything. People will basically rush for all access in some way so they can do what has to be done for what they want.
3. AI suck in this game. If you run away far enough then they'll stop chasing you. Unless we get a real developer in here, I think the only way for them to not do that is if they just fucking saw you through walls or had a line of code that was basically NEVER STOP CHASING NO MATTER WHAT.

Technically Space Siberia and Limbo are done with Snowdin. Yeah, the selection of eldritch/nether creatures is shit however it works. Away missions only work when no one powergames. When people powergame then they ruin the whole thing and suck the fucking fun out of it.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #486053

Gateway missions don't work here unless you're go the lengths of goonstation where ghosts can only see what the person they observe see and the actual away mission is loaded off-repo so you can't just download the .dmm and look at it. Otherwise their charm wears off after the first week when the powergamers start speedrunning the map on a local server and coming back to get the loot as quickly as possible on the actual server.

When the stars align, however, they're extremely fun to play or watch other people traverse. In the first couple weeks after I released the caves/snowdin mission, I had people telling me that was the most fun they've had in the game in awhile and they thought it was really cool how they actually felt the need to cooperative with others to get to the end.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #486056

Ayy Lemoh wrote: 3. AI suck in this game. If you run away far enough then they'll stop chasing you. Unless we get a real developer in here, I think the only way for them to not do that is if they just fucking saw you through walls or had a line of code that was basically NEVER STOP CHASING NO MATTER WHAT.

We've technically gotten around that, since bubblegum and another megafauna just Teleport behind u when you go too far, and then ram into you with a load of bullshit instant kill attacks.

The reason for the Gateway to be turned off was:

- Took away too many of the players onto some death trap loot pinata, where 99% of them died and won't be cloned.

- Leaves empty job slots and fundamentally removes some antagonist interaction. That would be possible with it being off.

-Caused some lag loading the gateway map pre-round start. (I don't really think that it was laggy but, it was a stated detriment.)

My idea is that when the server is flooded with players and is on extremely high pop. The gateway could function like a centcomm objective. Similar to getting DNA Samples or building Meteor Shields.

This'll allow us to offload some of those players onto an ancient map where they're pretty much dying, since the only way for them to prepare for whatever OP shit is being thrown at them. (Like Nukies with LG-Saws. Or Wizards with Stun magic and Fireball) is with metagame, or luck.

The lag part isn't being addressed, but I wonder. How come VR's Pre-Loading doesn't lag. But the Gateway does. Even though they're the same maps being used?
► Show Spoiler
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #486114

>lag
Optimizations
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #486132

just have it random generated key ruins like lavaland
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #486135

Timegate it by requiring large amount of power to open the gateway.

More exotic destinations (some ideas; a derelict abductor research ship stuck in a tear of reality, a wizards pocket dimension or the dreamworld) could be autismgated by requiring huge amounts of energy to open.

The cheesing problem can be solved by offering key mobs to ghosts upon the opening the gateway.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #486154

I always loved the wizard academy mission since players could pretty much use it as intro to wizard and the loot was pretty heavily guarded and not really worth the effort