Github Username: optimumtact

Re: why is readding Gang so taboo?

Post by oranges » #487638

Bottom post of the previous page:

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #487777

I loved gang but it suffered from all the conversion mode problems.

You end up with a mode with the disorganization of Revolution mixed with the team coordination of Cult. Which was kinda fun except for the territory mechanic that only two people in your gang would use while the rest would go back to their jobs or just fuck off.

And it took too long to end. This was always its biggest problem.

Once you and two robust shitheads take down the HoP/HoS/Captain and get them on your side its over, sec drops like flies unless they're highly competent and then most of the crew ends up in your gang but refuses to actually progress the round, so you end up with 20 minutes of doomsday timer and the few remaining enemy gang members trying to suicide bomb you and break you're shit, dragging the round out where they can't even win.
Stickymayhem wrote:cool shit
That would be awesome but you'd need to force sec to play their role in the gang war, which would be an amazing feat of administration or code. Or we'd need a High RP server.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #487878

daily reminder Families fixed every problem laid out in this thread
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #487884

"fixed"
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #487906

Super Aggro Crag wrote:"fixed"
did you play it?

it fixed:
1. the core issue with conversion modes, force conversion, by replacing it with volunteered signups for families
2. mass murdering everyone not associated with you because dead people can't rep your family's colors and alive people can join your family, and people won't want to join your family if your family is mass murdering people
3. tagging turf being useless since the winning family is decided by points gained overall and tagging turf is a serious benefit points wise, along with tagging another family's turf as to encourage breaking stalemates and starting turf wars
4. security just killing everyone that isn't security because implants don't matter due to signing up for a family being voluntary and not forced
5. rounds lasting way too fucking long, because the gamemode was locked to 30-45 minutes max via the gamemode itself

overall, it was a far better gamemode than Gang ever was
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #487921

iamgoofball wrote:
did you play it?

it fixed:
1. the core issue with conversion modes, force conversion, by replacing it with volunteered signups for families
2. mass murdering everyone not associated with you because dead people can't rep your family's colors and alive people can join your family, and people won't want to join your family if your family is mass murdering people
3. tagging turf being useless since the winning family is decided by points gained overall and tagging turf is a serious benefit points wise, along with tagging another family's turf as to encourage breaking stalemates and starting turf wars
4. security just killing everyone that isn't security because implants don't matter due to signing up for a family being voluntary and not forced
5. rounds lasting way too fucking long, because the gamemode was locked to 30-45 minutes max via the gamemode itself

"playing"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #487972

iamgoofball wrote:
did you play it?

it fixed:

i did play it and frankly while the concept is nice the voluntary conversion bit was kind of a mess ("FREE ANTAG??? SIGN ME UP!" --everyone) and not very conducive to good gameplay
wish that part was different
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #487975

I don't think its Gang so much in of itself but rather there is a general unease at the concept of 'more TDM' modes.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #487976

PKPenguin321 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
did you play it?

it fixed:

i did play it and frankly while the concept is nice the voluntary conversion bit was kind of a mess ("FREE ANTAG??? SIGN ME UP!" --everyone) and not very conducive to good gameplay
voluntary conversion is the only way to have a team based gamemode that doesn't start with everyone already assigned a team.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #488233

iamgoofball wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
did you play it?

it fixed:

voluntary conversion is the only way to have a team based gamemode that doesn't start with everyone already assigned a team.
Voluntary conversion still has the win-more mechanic of snowball conversion as there is really no reason to join a weaker team. consider a way to incentivize joining the smaller gangs over everyone joining one.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #488241

Gangs was bad because it tries to do what cult did except it replaces everything with "guns". Guns make for shitty balance and security hates it when anyone else has guns because most of the edge of being security is having access to that.

Gang shouldn't be readded because like every other conversion game mode, it's just a worse version of revolution, which is the most pure form of conversion game modes. Conversion doesn't need a gimmick, when conversion itself is the gimmick.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #488253

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Gangs was bad because it tries to do what cult did except it replaces everything with "guns". Guns make for shitty balance and security hates it when anyone else has guns because most of the edge of being security is having access to that.

Gang shouldn't be readded because like every other conversion game mode, it's just a worse version of revolution, which is the most pure form of conversion game modes. Conversion doesn't need a gimmick, when conversion itself is the gimmick.
can't believe I'm agreeing with primo shithead yakumo

except not really because forced conversion is dumb as shit
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #488274

iamgoofball wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Gangs was bad because it tries to do what cult did except it replaces everything with "guns". Guns make for shitty balance and security hates it when anyone else has guns because most of the edge of being security is having access to that.

So is voluntary conversion. Who would ever turn down being an antag?
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #488279

NoxVS wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Does Devil count as precedent?

But in that situation, even people don't take it because dying becomes perma-death. And what the devil can offer is very limited.
► Show Spoiler
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #488287

NoxVS wrote: So is voluntary conversion. Who would ever turn down being an antag?
Same shit all the time so I walk out an airlock during rev and such. 'Antag' is meaningless other than the toys you get during it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #488311

Shadowflame909 wrote:
NoxVS wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Does Devil count as precedent?

But in that situation, even people don't take it because dying becomes perma-death. And what the devil can offer is very limited.
What planet do you live on? EVERYBODY takes devil deals whenever devil is ran
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #488503

I wish what you said was right my last devil round.

The Curator actually researched my Bane, brought me to the chapel and forced me into a duel with them. Whilst getting sec to murder me so I wouldn't revive.

The idiot security took me out of the chapel, which allowed me to revive.

The only people who actually took the contract that round, was cargo because they could make infinite money and the HoS. Because they got killed by a ling.
► Show Spoiler
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488504

Shadowflame909 wrote:I wish what you said was right my last devil round.

The Curator actually researched my Bane, brought me to the chapel and forced me into a duel with them. Whilst getting sec to murder me so I wouldn't revive.

The idiot security took me out of the chapel, which allowed me to revive.

The only people who actually took the contract that round, was cargo because they could make infinite money and the HoS. Because they got killed by a ling.
Working as intended
Kierany9
Byond Username: Kierany9

Post by Kierany9 » #488536

Gangs is a mode that can produce incredible rounds but is bogged down by player incompetence. Unless you can skill match the three bosses (antag elo lol), it's a miracle when a gang round doesn't end one of two ways:
1) One boss recruits the right people and it becomes revs but with the dominator.
2) All the gangs are mentally handicapped and get smacked by security immediately.
Doesn't help that every PR pushed seemed to actively make the mode worse, either by overbuffing the gangs to a ridiculous point or reducing any motive to not go lone wolf gung-ho immediately.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #489090

remember when Joan intentionally testmerged broken updates to Gang to fuck over Robustin?
That was pretty passive-aggressive and mean.

Also, I think that one of improvements that can be definitely made to gang is removing implant breakers. It helps with snowballing greatly, especially if you convert sec.
Bring back papercult.

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #489754

worst case scenario for gang:
all but one gang dies, becomes fairly similar to rev, but with fewer and more well armed revs, similarly to cult but with far simpler mechanics

what was wrong with that again?
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #489817

InsaneHyena wrote:
remember when Joan intentionally testmerged broken updates to Gang to fuck over Robustin?
That was pretty passive-aggressive and mean.

Also, I think that one of improvements that can be definitely made to gang is removing implant breakers. It helps with snowballing greatly, especially if you convert sec.
Ways of bypassing implants are lame. Why have a defense that can be easily broken or doesnt work at all *cough*bloodcult*cough*.

There already exists a way to remove implants anyway, its called kidnapping and surgically removing the implant, or killing the person and then converting the fresh clone.

Conversion antags should really do what revs does right now when it comes to implants, and that is fight to control cargo to prevent the implants from coming in the first place.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #490458

Sometimes I want to code gang again
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #490522

confused rock wrote:worst case scenario for gang:
all but one gang dies, becomes fairly similar to rev, but with fewer and more well armed revs, similarly to cult but with far simpler mechanics

There's a huge gap between 10 assistants armed with spears, soap, and stun prods, and 8 assistants with Uzis, sketchkins, and a portable turret, and one of them is the Head of Personnel.

Most shifts don't see more than 5 security, if you're lucky, in comparison.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #490540

Yakumo_Chen wrote:
confused rock wrote:worst case scenario for gang:

There's a huge gap between 10 assistants armed with spears, soap, and stun prods, and 8 assistants with Uzis, sketchkins, and a portable turret, and one of them is the Head of Personnel.
please dont cite robustin-gang mechanics like turrets that were in for 1/100th of the mode's lifespan and wouldn't be readded. it's just dishonest
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #490541

kevinz000 wrote:Sometimes I want to code gang again
ah yes, and do the classic kevin method of over-designing it and making it by default the same mode it was before? Fuck off. Families was the only good gang-styled gamemode there ever was and ever will be.