Heads of Staff - Required playtime

Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Heads of Staff - Required playtime

Post by Nervere » #487815

With the Ssethtide on our servers, heads of staff roles are being taken up by newbies who have no idea what they're doing, mostly because the hour requirement is so low.
The current requirement for heads of staff is 3 hours of experience, and that experience is per department. We have a config to change this limit, and the administration is currently debating what it should be raised to.
I am currently thinking that something around 10 hours should be enough experience for a head of staff role.
What are your thoughts?
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Twaticus

Re: Heads of Staff - Required playtime

Post by TWATICUS » #487816

yes
ImageImageImage
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #487817

100h
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #487818

Is it possible to have the time broken up amongst all jobs that are in a department? So 3 hours as genetics, 3 hours as virology, 3 hours of chemistry, etc for CMO
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487821

Any increase is a good increase. Head Roles, especially command roles, have been going to brand new and fairly clueless players quite as bit as of late and merely existing in two or three rounds is not enough to prepare any of them for the roles.
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #487826

I think something between 10 hours and 20 would be cool.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487830

Consider also: 1) new players are naturally drawn to command roles because the name sounds powerful and important 2) because the roles are locked behind time gates the new player gets a sense that they "unlocked" something new and will obviously want to try it out even if they're not equipped to handle it 3) often don't even look at their job preferences when they're near to starting out so will often land in jobs they don't have any idea where to start with. Its entirely possible to accidentally end up captain after randoming into a couple departments and pass the minor time gate. And then you get to wonder why the station exploded and why everyone in OOC is mad at you.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #487831

Were newbies not already restricted from head roles? Wasn’t that the entire point of the playtime unlock system?
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #487835

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Were newbies not already restricted from head roles? Wasn’t that the entire point of the playtime unlock system?
It’s too leniant to the point of anyone being able to get past the gate with ease. Especially because it can be done in one round if it’s long enough even if you don’t learn how to play the command role
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #487858

I understand the drive for this, but I will say that sending some clueless inept moron to head your department is exactly what I'd expect nanotrasen to do.

we arent a high or medium RP server and we arent supposed to worry about "winning" (lol).

I can see both sides of the issue, I don't think it's as cut and dry as "I want my head of staff to be leet pls I hate losing"

conflict drives the round and that has been a constant defense of the irritatingly broad asimov laws
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #487861

An increase of even just overall play time would be good.

3 hours of medical with 10 hours of total alive time would at least make sure the CMO knows what intents are.
--Crocodillo

bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #487889

yes

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #487900

24 hours total with at least one hour in every job where it makes sense (CEs that can't set up the Engine or don't know Atmos at all, RDs that can't put a battery in a cyborg, CMOs that can't make Mutadone...)
2 hours as every Head of Staff for Captain
12 hours as borg or 72 hours total for AI
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487904

Skillywatt wrote:I understand the drive for this, but I will say that sending some clueless inept moron to head your department is exactly what I'd expect nanotrasen to do.

we arent a high or medium RP server and we arent supposed to worry about "winning" (lol).

I can see both sides of the issue, I don't think it's as cut and dry as "I want my head of staff to be leet pls I hate losing"

conflict drives the round and that has been a constant defense of the irritatingly broad asimov laws
I'm not sure where you're getting this focus on "winning" and "losing" from. We're discussing removing a needless bottleneck that's fun for neither the head role player (who is generally clueless and inept due to OOC reasons rather than interesting IC conflicts) nor their underlings who have to deal with their boss with access and additional specialized tools having no idea how to use or find any of them. It also hurts the learning process for new players because if they can't consult their Head of Staff to figure things out, they're hindered further when the Head of Staff theoretically should be at least passably capable at the components of their department. "How do I Xenobio" should be a combination of "consult the wiki" and "talk to your RD." That doesn't work if your RD doesn't know how to do anything up to and probably including removing a backpack.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #487905

hour requirements are fucking stupid

let them learn to swim by having to avoid drowning

the heads of staff have zero responsibility other than "don't die" and "protect the disk" if you're the captain.
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #487963

10 hours with their first connection being more than a month ago
That way it increases the likelihood they have more well rounded experience with the game systems and keeps out fotm shitters
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #487983

current system doesnt support such a thing malkraz

anywhere from 10-20 hrs is fine, honestly i think erring on the longer side is fine
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #487996

iamgoofball wrote:let them learn to swim by having to avoid drowning
Punish the new player to spite everyone else. Brilliant.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #488002

cedarbridge wrote:
Why do you see it as punishment?
Nervere

Post by Nervere » #488076

This isn’t about roleplay, lore, or winning. It’s about not having your round ruined by a shitter captain, or a CE who immediately blows up the engine. As admins, we deal with this stuff OOC’ly, but we can’t always be there, and it has become incredibly frequent.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #488082

hi it me a squd, i think that captain and HoS should unironically be 20-30hrs of playtime
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #488093

NoxVS wrote:Is it possible to have the time broken up amongst all jobs that are in a department? So 3 hours as genetics, 3 hours as virology, 3 hours of chemistry, etc for CMO
I don't like this because even though it's good for a head to know how to do everything in his department, it shouldn't be mandatory just to unlock the role. Heads are mostly a management job and the bare minimum should be not blowing up your department. For this reason I'd argue that CE (and HoS on a smaller note) is probably the only job that should require mandatory experience as engineer/atmos, it's hard for other heads to ruin a round with their ignorance only. If you round is "ruined" because the CMO didn't know how to operate a cloner/chem dispenser and there was nobody else who could do it, I guess that round had other more serious problems.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488097

iamgoofball wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Why do you see it as punishment?
What is the "drowning" in your example and in what way is it positive?
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #488128

I thought we weren't entitled to anything except rules being followed (and even that is not absolute because of the "secret rule of mayhem")
there's also rule 10:
Losing is part of the game.
Your character will frequently die, sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose.
does the spirit of this rule not apply to heads being incompetent?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488144

teepeepee wrote:I thought we weren't entitled to anything except rules being followed (and even that is not absolute because of the "secret rule of mayhem")
there's also rule 10:
Losing is part of the game.
Your character will frequently die, sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose.
does the spirit of this rule not apply to heads being incompetent?
How is this related to anything discussed in the thread, exactly? New players are not entitled to head of staff roles.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #488155

how is asking if we really are entitled to good heads of staff not related to the thread?
can you get head of staff banned for not knowing all of your department for example?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #488162

Head roles have the following responsibility:
1. Don't die.

Default roles have the following responsibility:
1. Don't die.

See the issue with putting heads up on a pedestal?

It's not mandatory to follow orders from heads either, so authority isn't a reason to lock it off.

The only exception is the captain. His responsibility is:
1. Don't die.
2. Pick up the nuke disk.

The second only requires basic knowledge of how the inventory works. Holding this job and other head roles up on a pedestal as needing tons of hours is insane.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #488163

In fact, we could solve the didk issue by just spawning the disk on the captain if one is present, otherwise just default it to the normal location.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #488197

Not all of policy leads to, or is driven by, bans.

Upping the playtime for heads is a good idea. The point is not to ensure that the heads are competent, but to promote it. It is more likely that a player with 20 hours of engineering can set up the SM than one with only an hour.

While we're at it, lets restrict robo play time behind like 20 hours of borg. I'm getting tired of yelling at other robos that place the basic power cell into borg shells.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #488209

You guys are kinda going crazy on the long side here. You should not have to play for fifty hours to unlock every head of staff. Five hours in a department maximum, but unlocking head roles should also have a supplementary requirement of 20 hours playing as an onstation role. Easily long enough to gain enough mastery of the mechanics not to be a total screw up, and five rounds is long enough for a CE to figure out the engine. Every other role is so easy they barely need a time requirement.

RD= scientist with command access
CMO= super doctor
HoP= all access assistant jr
Captain = all access assistant sr, protect the disk btw
HoS= if youre qualified to play sec you can probably do this

CE’s the only one with consequences for the whole station and they can probably do that as an engineer anyways.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #488236

BeeSting12 wrote:You guys are kinda going crazy on the long side here. You should not have to play for fifty hours to unlock every head of staff. Five hours in a department maximum, but unlocking head roles should also have a supplementary requirement of 20 hours playing as an onstation role. Easily long enough to gain enough mastery of the mechanics not to be a total screw up, and five rounds is long enough for a CE to figure out the engine. Every other role is so easy they barely need a time requirement.

RD= scientist with command access
CMO= super doctor
HoP= all access assistant jr
Captain = all access assistant sr, protect the disk btw
HoS= if youre qualified to play sec you can probably do this

CE’s the only one with consequences for the whole station and they can probably do that as an engineer anyways.
People don't like having rounds fucked from someone who played 3 rounds of sec deciding they deserve to be a hos main now.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #488237

The HoS is just a sec officer with more access, he can fuck your round the same way a sec officer already can with no play time requirement. Being shitcurity is bannable so if an officer is abusing you because the HoS is going full Hitler, ahelp and it will be dealt with.

CE is different because even though a regular engineer can also single-handedly blow the engine, incompetence isn't bannable, but a blown SM means the round is over. That's why CE should at least know the basics so he can take over and fix the SM when his newbies engineers inevitably fuck with it.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #488238

Grazyn wrote:The HoS is just a sec officer with more access, he can fuck your round the same way a sec officer already can with no play time requirement. Being shitcurity is bannable so if an officer is abusing you because the HoS is going full Hitler, ahelp and it will be dealt with.

CE is different because even though a regular engineer can also single-handedly blow the engine, incompetence isn't bannable, but a blown SM means the round is over. That's why CE should at least know the basics so he can take over and fix the SM when his newbies engineers inevitably fuck with it.
Sec officers do not default with authority to sign off on executions. Paul Blart can put me in a cell for a few minutes. He can't execute me outside of very specific and harrowing circumstances or with permission from the HoS.

Despite what a lot of bad opinions in this thread have claimed, head roles are more than just "Role but also bridge access." I've also yet to hear a reason that we should want or need newer players to have access to head roles sooner rather than later.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #488239

I'm not an admin but I hope unjust executions are treated exacly like being beaten to death by a random officer (something that happened to me at least twice in the past few days, which is actually a low number). An officer can also wordlessly put you in a cell with no timer (again, this also happens with ssethtide sec players). There's not much difference in Paul Blart abusing you and Paul Blart abusing you because the HoS said so, both things are bannable.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #488246

BeeSting12 wrote:You guys are kinda going crazy on the long side here. You should not have to play for fifty hours to unlock every head of staff. Five hours in a department maximum, but unlocking head roles should also have a supplementary requirement of 20 hours playing as an onstation role.
If you had bothered to read the fucking op post or the rest of this thread you would know that we can not do that under the current system and this thread is about what to change the config values under the current system to, not about theorycrafting better systems.

Back on topic: The current system actually uses a custom default for each head role, not a flat default value. Roles like hos are 5 hours by default but roles like ce are only 100 minutes by default. (Side note: Captain requires 3 hours of crew (not as heads like I thought it was.))

If we had to set this to a flat hour requirement for all head positions, than 10 hours would be best.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #488249

does the timer count for living as job or even as dead?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #488252

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:does the timer count for living as job or even as dead?
Living as job if it's the same code we stole from Yogs.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #488258

iamgoofball wrote:
OMG are you still fucking on about that?

Yes yog's version was shit, no, we aren't using it, yes, it does still require you be alive to count for that role, that was never why yog's version was shit, yog's version was shit because it gave exp at round end and didn't give you any of the exp if you were dead at round end, not even for the time you were alive.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #488260

MrStonedOne wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
OMG are you still fucking on about that?

Yes yog's version was shit, no, we aren't using it, yes, it does still require you be alive to count for that role, that was never why yog's version was shit, yog's version was shit because it gave exp at round end and didn't give you any of the exp if you were dead at round end, not even for the time you were alive.
Oh, we re-wrote it? Sick, alright, I was under the impression we used their shit verbatim since that was the last time I saw a PR up for it before it got merged.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #490463

The amount of time it takes before a headrole is unlocked for a given department is basically a minimum for brand new player who chose that department first to meet and go "ooooh shiny!" and immediately pick a head role the moment it's unlocked. Not everyone does this but some people will and they're the new players who cause trouble in head roles. So, every hour we can get in this regard is important for ensuring that new players don't cause a ton of trouble in head roles.

The problem is that since all a new player needs to cause trouble is one role, but an experienced player would like to have every head role unlocked, it is multiplicatively more annoying for a theoretically experienced player on a new account or something like that to unlock everything. And that effect gets considerably worse the longer the hour requirement is. So, in this regard there are two thoughts. One, we should get as many hours possible required and sit right below the "threshold of overwhelming obnoxiousness" for unlocking roles. Second, as admins we do have a tool that allows us to toggle people exempt from the job experience gated head roles. And there's no real reason why we can't use this to help out old or obviously well experienced players caught out by the time restrictions.

It's definitely a necessary change. 15 hours would probably be good. 20 seems too obnoxious.

Also, this is still really annoying, please do something headmins.
Last edited by subject217 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #490474

iamgoofball wrote:hour requirements are fucking stupid

let them learn to swim by having to avoid drowning

the heads of staff have zero responsibility other than "don't die" and "protect the disk" if you're the captain.
That would be fine if this was a singleplayer game, but having a CMO that overdoses people in sleepers or a CE that doesn't know how to fix atmos or tcomms is a complete shitshow for everyone involved.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #490482

When I play a head of staff, it’s because I want to lead and teach coworkers while fixing things where they lag behind. Only Hop and Captain are particularly unique, with others mostly having extra access and slightly better equipment. As such, I don’t think new players deserve easy access to these roles, they’re mostly there for people with skill and desire to be a leader, not for people who wanna start with armory access and a tazer. The playtime could be long as fuck and it’d be fair, heads should be actually experienced. Medbay’s pretty gross even if the cmo is good, but when the cmo isn’t competent you’re fucked.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #490485

I think the general playtime is far more important here then the departmental playtime - if a head doesn't know how to do certain things that fall under the departments duties, its kind of annoying, and not even that if one of the department members is willing to do it and the head is able to communicate. If a head has little understanding of the server culture or the basics, handing them a baton, expanded access, and the ability to call the shuttle is a bad idea.
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #490486

The playtime needs to be higher. 15 hours sounds good.

Had a non-antag CMO attempt to space a dead plasmeme because he didn't know how to put them out and didn't understand that they would keep igniting without their suit. I was the AI and was trying to help him over comms, I explained why defibbing wasn't working and that he needed to be cloned several times. I got ignored. The plasmeme eventually got cloned after I asked for someone to help and guess what, he wasn't catatonic. So this player had been waiting patiently for like half an hour to be revived when it should've taken a few minutes at most.

The negative impact that a poor head of staff can have on a round is insane. That CMO clearly was new to medical in general and should not have had that head role available to him.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #490492

if your first connection is after 2014 you cannot play head role

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Electronics
Github User
Byond Username: Electronics111
Github Username: Electronics

Post by Electronics » #490493

bobbahbrown wrote:if your first connection is after 20142012 you cannot play head role
bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #490495

Electronics wrote:
bobbahbrown wrote:if your first connection is after 20142012 you cannot play head role
ok Image

Nervere

Post by Nervere » #490646

Alright, we have now set the required playtime for heads of staff to be 15 hours. Reminder that this is a per-department restriction.
This is mostly to prevent new players from catastrophically messing stuff up as we've seen time and time again with the Ssethtide.
if you're an experienced player and have somehow found yourself caught in this restriction, please ahelp and an admin can make you exempt from this requirement.
Thanks for your input, everyone!