new renderer when
working anti-cheat when

wasted potential edition
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: DayZ

Post by Ikarrus » #49124

I thought DayZ was supposed to be amazing.

What happened? I haven't been following it.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #49125

1: Game runs like absolute garbage even on the best possible hardware.
2: Weird development decisions, like using the Take On Helicopters engine. DX9, 32-bit singlethreaded server software.
3: Private server hosting. Horrible idea, I've lost many characters to an admin kicking everyone in the server when they spot me, on the public hive.
4: Terrible QA means important things like melee weapon and wells have been periodically broken through various patches.
5: Zombies are a nuisance, the game would be more enjoyable without their current implementation. I get that they don't want to iterate on a placeholder, but they don't need to be in the game at this point.
6: Hacking has been a horrible problem in standalone and the mod, and has not really improved at all.
Spacezenegger

Post by Spacezenegger » #49226

Can you still play the mod on Arma 2 or has everyone switched to the standalone?
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #49233

You can still play the mod, but people only play modmods now like Epoch/Overpoch, and I don't like them.
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #49353

Dean is out, now fix this shit
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #49354

it never was that great of a game even when it was just a mod
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #49392

I used to be in Australian clan in Arma 2 called OCB, we'd do tac ops every friday and all that jaz, half the members were current or former military, shit was good.

Anyway, when DayZ the mod popped up, one of our senior guys was working with the DayZ folks, and told us about it, so me and some other got into it. Going from fairly serious Arma 2 play to DayZ, actually translated rather well as it turned out, since we were well co-ordinated and knew the map/mechanics and shit.

I have to say, that for a few months, that's quite possibly the mos fun I've ever had in a video game, We could play literally all day sometimes, jesus fuck. I remember one time me and a couple of the guys had a Ural, and another clan member logged in at the beach, so we arranged a pickup point to get him, giving him some pleb gun/basic kit we had in the truck. The another guy logged in somewhere else on the map, so we went to get him. The another. And another. Pretty soon I was driving our bright blue truck with 15 armed and ghillie suited fuckers chilling in the back. We had so many people, if I saw a cow or some shit, I would just veer off and run the fucker down, then we would all get out and stand around the corpse and time our harvesting (there was that bug where basically if you did it at the same time, it made meat for each person), and we'd all just be slicing up this poor cow.

It took us literally 10 second for us to refill the fuel tank as well, since we just had 10 people going back and forth filling it while the guys with thermals stood watch.
And then we decided to raid the hospital. I backed us in nice and smooth right infront of the hospital, everyone quietly got out, and started absolutely stuffing the truck full of supplies (Ural can carry fucking shitloads), while guys with silencers stood watch/killing zombies that got too close.
And then it happened. The interface is notoriously shitty, and sometimes when you open the scroll menu and try click something, the menu vanishes as you click. When you have a high powered rifle out when this happens it can be an issue. When said rifle is pointing into the back of a friend's head it can be a big problem. When we're surrounded by dozens of zombies it can be a major problem.
This in fact, happened. 50 million zombies swarmed in, some of the guys hid in the hospital, some got in the truck - others opened up, mowing down zombies, some got eaten. I was driving the truck back and forth, crushing zombies trying to dent my poor vehicle. Then the server crashed, honk.

DayZ is/was hilarious fun, but really only if you have good people to play with. On your own, it's a lot of running around and getting sniped like a pleb. For a month or so we had an autism fort in some construction site, we had a helicoptor parked on the roof, and like 5 vehicles down stairs, with assloads of gear inside and sandbags/barbed wire fortifying the whole place. When clan mates logged in at random spots or respawned, we'd get a few guys in the heli and I'd fly over and pick them up, maybe mow down a couple of scrubs along the way with the machine guns.

I kind of miss it now, oh well.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #49408

This game is so blatantly and stupidly hackable it's a fucking joke.

My younger brother plays it religiously on and off, but that's because he's programmed a bunch of radar and clairvoyant bullshit so he can see everyone everywhere through everything, what they have, how much health, etc in addition to having a second screen running with a map of the server and where everyone is on it.

He plays honestly with it, if you can believe that, but he uses it to look out for hackers and shit at which point he goes beast mode and starts doing everything he can to constantly teleport up their asses and and kill them or whatever.

I don't understand why anyone would care this much about a game that's that corrupt...that is supposed to center around survival and shit.

Based on what I've seen when I've hung out with him and he's shown me this shit I'd never touch it. Fucking everyone is hacking. Seriously everyone.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #49410

Arm 2 was always more a co-op game then a pvp game so it's always had pretty shitty anti-cheating. That said, when I was playing, they banned assloads of hackers in huge waves.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #49508

lumipharon wrote:Arm 2 was always more a co-op game then a pvp game so it's always had pretty shitty anti-cheating. That said, when I was playing, they banned assloads of hackers in huge waves.
You can still remove trees, grass , buildings and bushes by removing the associated .pbo file. You could sit in the middle of a city and shoot everyone with literally zero risk because it's just a big flat empty plain on your screen.
This shit has never been fixed and you will likely never get banned for it which is ridiculously stupid.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #49544

On the other hand the only people that complain about hacking in Arma are faggots who aren't playing Arma but some bullshit mods or RP servers.

People don't hack during OPS because you'd get blacklisted and thrown out of the group you play with.
And people don't usually play with randoms. So you'd be shit out of luck looking for people to play with.

Fixing the hacking in DayZ is a problem for Rocket and whoever the fuck else, not a problem for Bohemia.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #49561

I wouldn't hold your breath as long as they're using BattleEye, which appears to be utter garbage.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #49563

Only fun in groups and mostly we just play by finding basic gear and running around blasting creepy music out of the voice chat
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #49693

I wouldnt mind joining up with you fellows and sing compelling tales
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #50303

It's a completely different game once you have a good group of friends, and gear setup.

You go from a dirt eating peasant fighting for survival, to a bunch of marauding vagabonds with stockpiles of gear and shit, and death becomes only a minor inconvenience because someone can just pick up your shit, then pick you up off the beach with a vehicle.

Also once you have good gear, you really just have to kill everyone on sight. It's far too easy to have some peasant kill you for your shit, because you let him get the first shot, it's just not worth the risk.
Being able to fly a heli 5 minutes across the map instead of running for literally an hour is also nice, although there's literally a whole meta game of defending your shit, mainly vehicles, when not logged in.