24%

Total votes: 51

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Hivemind is completely unfair with no redeeming qualities

Post by confused rock » #486529

Bottom post of the previous page:

Here's an average round of hivemind for whoever ascends to one mind for you:
-go around standing next to people for 30 minutes. best part is in bar, when you're just clicking the action button
-gain powerful spells such as "make people dizzy" and "forcewall" none of which solve the problem of hivemind dying if a security officer tases them once.
-eventually start using your "anal probe" power on people standing still for a long time, since they're the only ones it's reasonable to use on. chances are, that person's also a hivemind, since they're standing still so long.
-medullary failure the hivemind and instagib them. you can do this in public since it's so rapid and confusing.
-notice the pinpointer on the top right. you're not sure why it's active, but you figure out who it is-not by running up close to the person, but by staying a screen a way and lining the horizontal pinpointer up at long range.
-cockshock them since medularry's on cooldown, stab them to crit, instagib.
-use your "get four minions" ability and order them to contact you on pda and obey you (what other orders would you put in there?)
-get one or two of your minions to contact you. the other 3 will be completely silent the whole round
-avoid using implant breaker since if all you do is attack other hiveminds and convert people sec will have 0 reason to suspect hiveminds exist
-get one mind
-turn implant breaker on and keep it on. you can now tase a sec officer and stand next to them for 2 seconds to convert them to viva.
-be very lucky no other hivemind cockshocked or medullaried you, since you'd have no way to avoid it besides carrying a box of implants on you at all times
-after a career of killing people with unfair stuns and heart attacks, retire to being slowly killed by your own minion who you converted mid-combat.
"instant heart attack which works on anyone you see with no downsides but it only works once every 5 minutes" doesn't seem balanced to me. nor does instant KO shocks or fuck it any of that shit. It's completely boring to play and completely frustrating to have used on you. It's an extremely polished pile of poop, and while yes it's shiny, they polished the bottom of the poop not the top so you can't even SEE the sheen. I don't think the amount of love and care can protect it from being complete garbage.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: Hivemind is completely unfair with no redeeming qualities

Post by imsxz » #492290

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Lexia black would find any mode that is fueled by shitcurity and bullshit fun to be fair
counterpoint: marisa kirisame would find any mode that relies on talking to another human being and coopearting with them bullshit and unfair

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #492327

counterpoint: marisa kirisame would find any mode that relies on talking to another human being and coopearting with them bullshit and unfair
That's only the case on Bagil, the designated shitting street of servers, where if you are not constantly powergaming as hard as you possibly can, Lexia Black (as well as the metagang greytide) will robust you with their 12 ping roundstart full powergame kit

I'm actually quite a bit more relaxed on sybil 8-)

although i don't play blood brothers or ops, so I guess you have a fair point there.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #492381

It's not like Sybil makes for very engaging antag players, let alone get much use out of the brainwashing poweer. Most seem to get very angry about being made one. Or ignore it, as it were.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #492446

So where are these people who really like hivemind and want it to keep going? I'd like to hear their reasons.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492457

It's like if someone split Shadowlings into two halves and then dumped it into a barrel of "Traitorification" Acid.

So now we have the armblade murderboner Nightmare with no substance, and a PSI generating cheapskate. With its only powerful abilities brutally able to cause a "cheap" win.

That used to be mind-controlling. Now it's a heart attack.

We all realize that without its new strong ability. That it'd be so much of a joke, it wouldn't be fit to even call an antagonist.

Welcome to balance mechanic hell.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #492484

Moral of the story is never mistake forum opinion for public opinion I guess.

I sort of wish hivemind was less about obtaining power. I don’t really know what would work better, but I don’t think its heading in the right direction.
[this space reserved]
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #492548

the only balance issues with hivemind in my opinion are that hiveminds can use abilities directly on each other, otherwise hiveminds with lots of hosts are extremely strong and need a good ol lynchmob when they use their abilities properly and get dabbed on if they don’t, and they’re encouraged to not just go Rambo like ling/cult tends to early on because hiveminds are weak early game.

To people that think hiveminds are too easy to kill, try using distortion field and induce panic, distortion does lots of stamina damage to the target and everyone around them other than you and induce panic can stun/deal a flat amount of stamina damage

you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492563

If an AOE disabler is what makes this antagonist scary. Then clown ops need to be merged asap.
► Show Spoiler
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #492564

Shadowflame909 wrote:If an AOE disabler is what makes this antagonist scary. Then clown ops need to be merged asap.
Clown ops is already a thing in the code.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492579

Woops. I meant put into the rotation asap.
► Show Spoiler
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #492743

imsxz wrote:the only balance issues with hivemind in my opinion are that hiveminds can use abilities directly on each other
Honestly, I think that if hivemind hosts were immune to each other's powers (that aren't meant to specifically be used on other hivemind hosts), a lot more people would like playing as a hivemind host. As it is now, playing a hivemind host is a game of rocket tag that feels terrible to lose (turning reclaimed hivemind hosts into imaginary friends of the hivemind host that reclaimed them (and that are also loyal to said host) would be a nice way to soften the blow of losing that game of rocket tag, by the way).
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #492797

Guess this policy thread doesn’t have a reason to exist because “maybe keep it in but this seriously fucking needs work” won the 4 option poll because yes/no would be understood by the uneducated playerbase, should we get back to reeing in its actual feedback thread, maybe?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #492803

confused rock wrote:Guess this policy thread doesn’t have a reason to exist because “maybe keep it in but this seriously fucking needs work” won the 4 option poll because yes/no would be understood by the uneducated playerbase, should we get back to reeing in its actual feedback thread, maybe?
You realize that both "yes" options combined is over 60% of the vote right?
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #492804

Yes, because a lot of people would’ve voted “no” if the main yes option didn’t imply the mode was fucked. Which I maintain that it is, far moreso than any other gamemode we’ve removed, in fact.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #492806

I agree with rock that the poll was really bad. You shouldn't have a "Yes keep this mode but completely overhaul it" Unless someone already has plans and a schedule to completely overhaul it.

The options should have been:

"Yes, I like hivemind, keep it and keep enhancing it"
"No, I think hivemind is bad, remove it from rotation and if it gets overhauled test it out again."

Those are really the only two options that matter.
--Crocodillo

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492832

Reminds me of the catgirl poll.
► Show Spoiler
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #492835

Has anyone mentioned that mindshield nanites dont work on hivemind powers at all? and that mindshields are useless after one mind because he can one click stun or kill you regardless? and he gets stun immunity to boot, like a one click you win button wasnt enough
You know, even devil would be better than hivemind
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #492913

you may be surprised to find out that one mind means the hivemind won

knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Post by knacker48 » #492918

I had one round where I was a centcom inspector for the first time, went around making notes of how shit the station was, trying to RP how everyone was gonna get their pay cut and stuff, but just as I was getting started I find out, oh I'm part of the One Mind. No RP for me I guess. I pretty sure it was like 5 minutes after arriving too so it kind of over before it started.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #492958

imsxz wrote:you may be surprised to find out that one mind means the hivemind won
I'd be surprised, since all a hivemind has to do to do that is stand still on the same screen as 20 people more than the other living hiveminds, and unless security is intentionally shit and mass implants everyone then unless the hivemind is intentionally shit and uses any of his other abilities nobody will have any reason to suspect a hive until the onemind.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492960

imsxz wrote:you may be surprised to find out that one mind means the hivemind won
If you kill the one mind all the "revs" instantly lose their rev status, and lose their holy glow.

Quite easy when a fellow assimilator finds them because even they have access to the ONE Mind chat. Then they give them a heart attack, and convert all the suddenly de-converted, de-implanted crew.

Happened twice as far as I've seen
► Show Spoiler
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #493796

We've run the poll on this particular issue and the result has been overwhelmingly that hivemind should remain in the game in its current state, although could continue to do with support. Kierany has continued to maintain the game mode, and has been made aware of the results of the poll.

As far as assimilation is concerned at the current time we won't be removing the game mode from rotation.