Non-Cultist constructs during Cult rounds.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Non-Cultist constructs during Cult rounds.

Post by RG4 » #17809

What twisted asshole decided to actually let this happen, let alone not even seeing the possibility of this and preventing it? I swear the past few cult rounds I've been in I always see in radio "We got a friendly -construct type- here helping us root out the cultist." This typically gets ignored because what Cultist actually keeps up with the names of the constructs to point out which one isn't exactly Nar'sir slave. Like the construct still retains the cult symbol above it's head and many will assume it's friendly before getting smashed by a juggernaut because it really wasn't culted all along. Seriously is about the same level as a converted borg or a borg that still have ling hive mind.

*Only Cultist are allowed to create constructs during Cult rounds
*Servants of the Nar'sie tap into the power of magic'n'shit to actually make these fuckers while regular crew members don't have a clue.
*Using the items to make a construct have the same effect as using the cult blade, it giving you burn damage and force you to drop it.
*This wouldn't during non-cult or wizard rounds where on mining you can actually find soul stones and bodies for them rarely.

Make whatever else restriction you can technically apply because it literally doesn't make sense that Head of Sec Jimmy can nab a soul stone and a shell to make a valid seeking construction that all cultist see as friendly. Let alone the guy doesn't even know how to use the cult magic to get it to work.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Re: Non-Cultist constructs during Cult rounds.

Post by Miauw » #17811

This could very easily be used to meta the roundtype if it only works during cult rounds.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #17816

Or just make it so constructs made by non cultists aren't considered cultists. That way the station can get a powerful (?) ally, but it's immediately obvious that it isn't on Nar-Sie's side.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #17821

The real issue is that non-cultist constructs are auto-assigned antagonist and cultists see a cult icon on them, but the construct itself can't see cultists and has no objectives at all.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #17846

Last time I saw this an admin mentioned to us that its ability to see cultists was a glitch and DO NOT use it to find antags.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #17867

The behavior of this keeps getting changed. I think it's been "fixed" like 4 times now. Apparently it still needs work.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Xerux
Byond Username: Xerux

Post by Xerux » #17878

There used to be a bug where even wizard made constructs were cultists, it was made so that shades were only cultists if the maker was. (https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/3630)

Unless something's changed these constructs should be non-antags still. (The file hasn't been changed since the linked pull.)
It could be changed so that non-cultists making a construct during a cult round makes the master Narsie instead of whoever did it and turns it into a cultist.

Edit:

During testing on a local server on extended with creating a construct as a non-cultist then culting the maker, the construct did not show up as a cultist and the construct didn't see the maker as a cultist as expected.
I didn't think of this at the time but if the person was already a cultist, it's likely that they remain so when soul-stoned.

Edit 2:

On a test with sharding a cultist on extended, they lost their cult status.
Last edited by Xerux on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Nolan Field - Various, Solar - Cyborg, Watcher - AI, Honksey - Clown, Sy Lent - Mime, Aveil Nahara - Inactive, Ayden Fryer - Data Lost | Byond, Github
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #17931

Miauw wrote:This could very easily be used to meta the roundtype if it only works during cult rounds.
What sort of drugs were you on that would lead you to believe this is a problem.

If non-cult have managed to gain access to shells AND shards that means they have a very fucking clear idea of what the fuck is going down.

What's next? Remove Nar-Sie, when Nar-Sie is spawned it allows people to meta the roundtype.

Sorry if that seems harsh but it really feels like a vast majority of the coders have never even played a cult round before.

The two simplest solutions are:

1) Only those with wizard/cult status can use blood shards. Simple enough and it makes sense. Crew can't use tomes or runes, why can they use on of the most powerful relics of nar-sie?

2) Constructs summoned by non-cultists are also non-cultists, cannot listen in on cult chat, and do not have the cult symbol.

Edit: It sounds like #2 may have been implemented. If this is the case then this is kind of a non-issue now.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #18072

Non antags being able to shard/ make constructs is mostly just a relic of back when there was a chaplain shard on all our maps and a construct shell on the derelict.

While some maps no longer have the shard I am pretty much all of ours lost the shell since anyone could abuse the daylights out of it. For the short time it was there those in the know rampantly abused it.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #18106

Non-cultists making constructs is retarded, there's no other way to put it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #18135

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Miauw wrote:This could very easily be used to meta the roundtype if it only works during cult rounds.
What sort of drugs were you on that would lead you to believe this is a problem.

If non-cult have managed to gain access to shells AND shards that means they have a very fucking clear idea of what the fuck is going down.

What's next? Remove Nar-Sie, when Nar-Sie is spawned it allows people to meta the roundtype.

Sorry if that seems harsh but it really feels like a vast majority of the coders have never even played a cult round before.

The two simplest solutions are:

1) Only those with wizard/cult status can use blood shards. Simple enough and it makes sense. Crew can't use tomes or runes, why can they use on of the most powerful relics of nar-sie?

2) Constructs summoned by non-cultists are also non-cultists, cannot listen in on cult chat, and do not have the cult symbol.

Edit: It sounds like #2 may have been implemented. If this is the case then this is kind of a non-issue now.
gamemode checks are bad ideas for various reasons, metagaming is just one of them. Say that admins want to spice up an extended round by adding cultists.
lolnope can't use shards gg
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #18136

Just don't let Constructs be constructable by anyone that is not a Cultist. If you want to make little robots go make Cyborgs not otherworldly abominations.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #18138

The non-cultist made constructs showing up as cultists to cultists is a bug and should be reported here.

WHY ISN'T IT REPORTED YET

Only cultists and wizards being able to use shards... meh. What if you're a lucky miner and found it? Or what if you're a chaplain and prayed to gods?
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #18145

Chaplain actually starts with one on Metastation.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Xerux
Byond Username: Xerux

Post by Xerux » #18500

Just did another test on extended on a local test server, culted one person, soulstoned and made them into a construct, no longer cultist. Culted the person who made them, they didn't see them as a cultist. This would need to be checked on an actual cult round. Is someone maybe sharding a cultist and then the construct just kills those it remembers as being cultists?
Spoiler:
Nolan Field - Various, Solar - Cyborg, Watcher - AI, Honksey - Clown, Sy Lent - Mime, Aveil Nahara - Inactive, Ayden Fryer - Data Lost | Byond, Github
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #18558

A lot of the checks for soul stones depend on if the game mode is set to cult (use the debug-game verb to turn the game mode debugger on, it'll let you bypass the player number requirements)
Soul stones also work differently depending on if the stone was used on a person or if the stone was created from a person being sacrificed, although in the latter case they ARE meant to be cultists, if you're dumb enough to loot a filled soul stone off a dead cultist and use it on a shell you deserve to get smashed in the face.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #493534

Hey hey hey this is still fucking stupid 5 years later and is still happening.
[this space reserved]
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493536

wesoda25 wrote:Hey hey hey this is still fucking stupid 5 years later and is still happening.
Yeah, its more of a problem that the chaplain on at least one map starts with his own shard.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493538

what if we turn this half bug into a feature.

Chaplains can already purify shades

What if it purified shells as well?

Angelic Constructs baby.
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #493572

wesoda25 wrote:Hey hey hey this is still fucking stupid 5 years later and is still happening.
BEGONE FOUL NECROMANCER.
OR AT LEAST ADD SOMETHING NEW TO THE CONVERSATION.
I was a wraith from the chaplains soul shard one time, it took me a while to realize I wasn't cult, and then I smashed their base.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493586

Nabski wrote:
BEGONE FOUL NECROMANCER.
OR AT LEAST ADD SOMETHING NEW TO THE CONVERSATION.
I was a wraith from the chaplains soul shard one time, it took me a while to realize I wasn't cult, and then I smashed their base.
Its valuable to note that this does come up fairly infrequently and causes trouble even still. The perils of issues that go unresolved.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #493589

cedarbridge wrote:
Yeah, its more of a problem that the chaplain on at least one map starts with his own shard.
Chaplain isn’t needed to do this. Non cult can’t shard people but they should be able to take an already sharded person and put them in a shell
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #493632

It’d be a cool idea if you purify a stone as chappy, and then create “angelic” constructs which have blue/white decals as opposed to red ones. They have special anti cult abilities and whatnot. It’d solve the problem of stealth non cult constructs, since they’d look different. But noncultists wouldn’t be able to place normal shades inside construct shells.
[this space reserved]
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493639

I'd much rather see a clearly visible anti-cult than "oh hey I can just use this construct to rat out and stealth the rest of the cult"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #493641

wesoda25 wrote:It’d be a cool idea if you purify a stone as chappy, and then create “angelic” constructs which have blue/white decals as opposed to red ones. They have special anti cult abilities and whatnot. It’d solve the problem of stealth non cult constructs, since they’d look different. But noncultists wouldn’t be able to place normal shades inside construct shells.
sounds good
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493703

Orange man sad
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #493749

ill be done witha PR sometime today or tomorrow

sneak peek at constructs:
Attachments
angelic constructs.png
angelic constructs.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493752

Change that black to white my boy

And we add Holy-Water to all of their damaging abilities
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #493754

Shadowflame909 wrote:Change that black to white my boy

injecting holy water on attack is a good idea and no black is better
[this space reserved]
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493780

Shadowflame909 wrote:Change that black to white my boy

I don't think we need to start buffing them above and beyond their cult-counterparts.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493797

what if we replace the damage with holy water

They can instantly purge themselves of reagents by stabbing themselves with their dagger
► Show Spoiler
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #493801

Shadowflame909 wrote:what if we replace the damage with holy water

They can instantly purge themselves of reagents by stabbing themselves with their dagger
Then you've made them strictly worse than their cult counterparts.
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Post by Kangtut » #493814

Shadowflame909 wrote:They can instantly purge themselves of reagents by stabbing themselves with their dagger
They would still lose all of their stored spells even if they had a chance to purge them self. Only thing I would say that they should have is the ability to erase runes null-rod style. That way the crew could have a safe way to scout and take out the very balanced wall/blood boil runes.