Server Differences

General SS13 Chat
Frogtoez
Byond Username: Frogtoez

Server Differences

Post by Frogtoez » #494206

I've played on Sybil for a while now, recently have been playing on the Events Hall and enjoying it and sometimes I will dip over to Bagil but I've never really understood the differences between them (mostly because I don't pay attention) in terms of RP and player/admin outlook on the happenings.

Could I get a rundown on what to expect and the gist of each server? With Terry thrown in just to be inclusive, thanks xo.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Server Differences

Post by Shadowflame909 » #494207

Bagil: High Pop. More boredom, more tiders. More chaos. 21m - 1 hour Average

Terry: Less pop. Slow shifts, calmer admin events. Lots of braindead crew. Expect to get stuff done. When rounds hit the 4-hour mark though, expect the admin to just start spamming the meteors button to end the round. 1-3hr average

Sybil: The middle ground of both. There's chaos, but less of it going around. Still, need to be wary though. 45m -1:30 average.

Event Hall: Newbie Park. Admins will be helpful and forgiving. Round length honestly depends on if people know what to do. Tutorial the server
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #494209

they're the same except for event hall which is a cesspit that gets no admin attention and is essentially a place to put all the youtuber drooling morons to stop them overwhelming our main servers.
donutstation
Byond Username: EwynB

Post by donutstation » #494219

bagil: robust
sybil: semi-robust
terry: unrobust
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #494250

bagil: gold-plat MMR, higher pop usually
Terry: silver-gold MMR, gets good pop EU hours
sybil: ARAM, get shunned for violating others sacred fun

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Frogtoez
Byond Username: Frogtoez

Post by Frogtoez » #494255

Thanks for the answers bois.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #494370

Shadow is pulling numbers out of his butt please look at statbus for an actual estimate.

As of recently it's been like:

Basil: 1-2 hours, <1 if TDM/wiz, ~2+ Extended

Sybil: 1.5 - >2 hours, <1 if TDM/wiz, same as normal time for extended rounds as of late lol

Terry: Terry is consistently above an hour often going into 2, They don't typically have enough for TDM modes but those are <1

So basically, when it comes to round length they're all pretty similar. The thing that has more correlation is gamemodes.

The only real difference are the regulars, admins included.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #494379

y'all are only looking at this from a physical perspective, not a metaphorical one.
sybil represents the past in ocarina of time. problems, sure, but happy people socializing, relaxed all in all. now you know why the world is worth protecting.
basil represents the future in ocarina of time. Everyone is isolated as everything is unsafe. the first creature you'll meet on your stay in either basil or future hyrule will be a fleshy almost-human which will try to hump you. Now you know what the world needs protecting from.
terry is majora's mask.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #494398

confused rock wrote:terry is majora's mask.
The end times where everyone is braindead or actually dead while speaking some sort of bizarre accent?
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #494399

Bagil is known for more heavy powergaming and somehow even less focus on roleplay than you would expect on a low RP ss13 server. the greytide metagang is pretty noticeable, expect assistants to rush cap's office consistently every round one doesn't spawn shift start (and often on rounds where one does). I get a more "play to win" vibe consistently playing on the server. Rounds are often extremely short and players will call for shuttle at any time there are not enough antags. Validhunting is prevalent and somewhat expected from most of the crew, don't expect security to give you an easy time if you were caught with a single camera bug in your bag after breaking a window.

Sybil on the contrary feels a lot more relaxed, somewhat heavier RP is expected. Greytide culture is not as bad, you don't see tide breaking into any secure areas very often, outside EVA. Players are not as competent overall but generally less mouth-frothingly aggressive, the vibe is much more "play to play". Tends towards longer rounds and you will almost always get a crowd calling for shuttle recall if it is called at any time, for any reason whatsoever. Since the game started crashing consistently around 1.5 hours, most rounds end in a crash unless it was a more focused roundtype like wizard or a TDM mode. Validhunting is much less prevalent although it being TG, you can expect it to be on people's minds. Security is a mixed bag depending on who is HoS.

I don't have much experience with Terry but I do know they tend towards low pop and very long rounds, or at least did before ssethtide. With the server crash issue that has persisted for weeks, I don't know how long rounds are currently there or if they're remaining long.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #494400

no its just in a different country
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #494410

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Sybil on the contrary feels a lot more relaxed, somewhat heavier RP is expected.
Did new players bring in roleplaying with them? Because I played a round two days ago and it was super wholesome. I hanged with the bartender, who just made drinks, and we chatted. Chef churned out food like crazy, counter was stocked. I went to botany to ask for peppers for drinks, and they were like sure thing bud, and grew some right away. And there was the Mime (Offbeat, cool mime) who we just played piano with in the bar.
And guess what, Barkeep was a traitor who forgot he was a traitor, because he (ok she) got invested in having fun.

And I didn't recognize a single name, but Mic and Gadow.
Or did I just hit the weird hour?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #494422

Sybil isn’t sybil anymore. Human to lizard ratio has greatly been improved, round time is a lot lower, you’ll actually find people willing to end wizard/rev/cult rounds now. Somehow Sybils soaked up all the admins, and in turn only sybil players get admin, reinforcing the tipped scale. I honestly see little difference between sybil and bagil anymore, theres just more blatant tiding on bagil.
[this space reserved]
Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #494423

If you do something that goes against the sybil hivemind be ready to be ostracized.
No such thing on bagil or terry.
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #494439

bagil: ideal ss13 image(you may not like it, but this is peak performance)

sybil: every antag round you can expect to fulfill your fantasy of whatever xenobio or robotics or mining or genetics etc murderbone you could want, but you'll be up against validhunters as well or more well armed than you and you'll probably die instantly. Don't win if you're the minority either because then you're playing to win and thats BAD even if everyone else is too.

terry: neat mix of both, less loud murderboners/validhunters than bagil and less whiners than sybil(the admins wont give the crew a supermatter sword when you do well as antag). Shockingly, I live in michigan and get better connection to terry(eu) than i do to sybil/bagil(california), probably says something about the quality of terry hosting being better or something.

all 3 servers have powergamers and validhunters, no server has more roleplay than the other. it's the same /tg/ and lots of players play on all 3 indiscriminately. all 3 servers have assistants that rush caps ID, all 3 have security players that make you want to die, all 3 have incompetence and competence levels that will both leave you in awe. The only differences you'll get between the power levels are the pace at which the players do it. Sybil players tend to go for endgame content and won't be active with it until then. Bagil is quicker paced and people are less likely to want to fix stuff when it breaks. Terry is a wildcard and I dont have enough experience on it to make a complete judgement.

tl;dr all 3 servers are ok depending on your tastes and you should probably do something better with your time than playing ss13 anyways

you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #494450

I've played SEC somewhat extensively on both bagil and sybil

I deal with powergamers, meta-gangs, and round-grudges far more often on bagil. Acting in good faith as SEC almost always gets me killed. I go there if I want to see a bunch of action and literally "fight the tide". You have to validhunt to survive.

Sybil has those but I can let a traitor go on Sybil who I caught with an emag or somthing and just confiscate his stuff and let him be. Sometimes I even let them keep it if they haven't broke into anything major and are 100% cooperative. I go to Sybil if I actually want to play a security officer on a spess station in spess.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #494451

bagil: high pop in usa/aus low pop in eu timezones, competitive server
sybil: was a weird players/admins circlejerk where they would get mad at u cause they didnt recognize ur char name ,until some eu ppl from bagil left to terry, making it low pop in eu zones so now bagil players go on sybil demolishing the metagangers/metafrienders , mid pop 24/7 ppl dont escalate much pve server
terry: was low pop laggy server now its catgirl hq, has russians and degenerates
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #494456

server that i play on: good, friendly, everyone there is robust but not evil powergamers. best server

other server: no fun. everyone there sucks ass at the game, its full of metagamers and metafreinders. no thank you sir.

terry: lol terry
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #494471

Jimmius wrote:server that i play on: good, friendly, everyone there is robust but not evil powergamers. best server

other server: no fun. everyone there sucks ass at the game, its full of metagamers and metafreinders. no thank you sir.

terry: lol terry
this

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #494472

> roleplay game

> developing persistent relationships with the people that you play with constantly is bad

@Tlat don't worry, people don't dislike you because they DON'T know who you are, they dislike you because they DO know who you are :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #494482

Cobby wrote:> roleplay game

> developing persistent relationships with the people that you play with constantly is bad

@Tlat don't worry, people don't dislike you because they DON'T know who you are, they dislike you because they DO know who you are :^)
No its because the circlejerk hates when anyone not willing to suck their dick infiltrates their midst. Tbqh its more of trend on bagil, on sybil its just fucking lame ass lizards who hate anyone who isn’t constantly nice to them and shit. But really for all servers ssethtide reset everything, a crowd of new players who outnumber the old, who don’t care about the metagroups and shit.
[this space reserved]
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #494483

wesoda25 wrote:
Cobby wrote:> roleplay game

No its because the circlejerk hates when anyone not willing to suck their dick infiltrates their midst. Tbqh its more of trend on bagil, on sybil its just fucking lame ass lizards who hate anyone who isn’t constantly nice to them and shit. But really for all servers ssethtide reset everything, a crowd of new players who outnumber the old, who don’t care about the metagroups and shit.
Have you tried not being an asshole to lizards for no reason?
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #494487

lol no fuck lizards
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #494601

wesoda25 wrote:lol no fuck lizards
man literally to dumb to die
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #494606

oranges wrote:
I think you meant too* idiot
[this space reserved]
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #494635

imsxz wrote:bagil: ideal ss13 image(you may not like it, but this is peak performance)

sybil: every antag round you can expect to fulfill your fantasy of whatever xenobio or robotics or mining or genetics etc murderbone you could want, but you'll be up against validhunters as well or more well armed than you and you'll probably die instantly. Don't win if you're the minority either because then you're playing to win and thats BAD even if everyone else is too.

terry: neat mix of both, less loud murderboners/validhunters than bagil and less whiners than sybil(the admins wont give the crew a supermatter sword when you do well as antag). Shockingly, I live in michigan and get better connection to terry(eu) than i do to sybil/bagil(california), probably says something about the quality of terry hosting being better or something.

all 3 servers have powergamers and validhunters, no server has more roleplay than the other. it's the same /tg/ and lots of players play on all 3 indiscriminately. all 3 servers have assistants that rush caps ID, all 3 have security players that make you want to die, all 3 have incompetence and competence levels that will both leave you in awe. The only differences you'll get between the power levels are the pace at which the players do it. Sybil players tend to go for endgame content and won't be active with it until then. Bagil is quicker paced and people are less likely to want to fix stuff when it breaks. Terry is a wildcard and I dont have enough experience on it to make a complete judgement.

tl;dr all 3 servers are ok depending on your tastes and you should probably do something better with your time than playing ss13 anyways
What imsxz said is probably the most accurate descriptor of everything outside of bagil. The real difference on bagil is that you're more likely to see memes and character breaks due to high population that can be excused as IC stuff, like people fotm memes or spamming things like FEET FEET FEET FEET over and over. People are more prone to calling the shuttle over issues and you're more likely to be killed within the first 20-40 minutes of the round, but past that everything tends to calm down and and slow in pace and mellow out outside of things like random xenos. It feels like people powergame less on bagil and don't mind death as much on bagil as well compared to my experience on the other servers.
Last edited by Karp on Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #494642

wesoda25 wrote:
oranges wrote:
*your
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #494652

cedarbridge wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:
oranges wrote:
*your
*Cheddar
► Show Spoiler
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #494664

outstanding move
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #494665

PKPenguin321 wrote:
outstanding move
This isn't Citadel stop encouraging furry degeneracy.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #494673

event hall is actually the best
Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #495130

oranges wrote:event hall is actually the best
Unironically this, bagil rounds tend to come down to the antags vs whatever small number of players actually respond while everyone else ignores them and the outcome is determined by which group is more robust. While on event hall you see even newbies trying to pitch in when there's an emergency.