[Ambassador Carp] Ban Appeal, I guess?

Appeals which have been closed.
Jarek
Byond Username: JarekTheRaptor
Github Username: Jarektheraptor

[Ambassador Carp] Ban Appeal, I guess?

Post by Jarek » #496898

Title/subject:
[AmbassadorKarp] Loves-The-Lizards - Ban Appeal, I guess.

Byond account and character name: Jarektheraptor, Loves-The-Lizards
Banning admin: Ambassadorcarp
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Antag, Server
Ban reason and length: 2 weeks for the server, unsure for the antag: Reason: As an operative, duplicated their tc 15x despite being told in character it was a bad idea. They did not ahelp it in the round. Getting 3000 tc as an op is pretty gamebreakingly bad and goes from light exploiting to severe exploiting. Exploiting on this level is pretty gamebreakingly bad and I hope you never do it again in the future. The antag ban will carry the rest of the month+2 weeks.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 21:47 GMT+0
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Terry
Your side of the story: Using the ability to refund reinforcements that were on a discount for 9 TC and refunding them for the full 25tc, I was able to purchase 7 mechs and numerous actual reinforcements for the nuclear team I was in. The TC's were also spent on numerous nick-nacks, like weapons. I was,obviously, Very fucking stupid and clearly did not understand that this was a bad thing to do at the time, and I completely ignored anyone IC'ly telling me to stop fucking around with the TC refunding business, and did it anyway. This led, after the round was eventually over, to me getting banned because I did not tell anyone, nor report this obvious game-breaking exploit. I don't really have a defense for that, but to defend my side regardless, I thought, at the time, it would be somewhat funny to do.It's not much of a defense at all, but it's there, and no it wasn't funny. I did bring it up on the TGstation discord afterwards, of course, but the damage was done. I don't make a habit of fucking up badly like this most of the time as I have the capability of understanding when it's time to stop. I don't really expect anyone to take my side here, seeing how I myself know how fucking dumb I was and how well deserved the ass-kicking is. Don't think there's anything else to say.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I don't really know. I do know the exploit wasn't done maliciously, and I have no intentions of doing such a thing again.. It's not really much, obviously, but that's all I can say for why I should be. I obviously know I fucked up. There's no real argument there. I can't defend those actions aside from "wow it was funny" and that's an awful fucking argument. At best, Perhaps I could hope for one of the bans (Antag or server) to be removed or lessened as a whole. A tempban from antag but being able to play the server, or being server banned but otherwise nothing else, or both stay but less for both. I don't know. I don't expect much and I don't deserve much to be completely fair - The ban reason is entirely accurate and not incorrect. I don't know what I should really be aiming for here, but we'll see where my shot lands.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: [Ambassador Carp] Ban Appeal, I guess?

Post by imsxz » #497070

Short of metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals. Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team. Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists, but non-antagonists are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable prior cause. Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as an antag.
ariever
Byond Username: Ariever

Post by ariever » #497071

Image In case you all want to know what 3000 tc can buy...(i counted 14 nukeops in total)
I was the AI this round, saw steel rain hit the bridge and counted three mechs on my cameras before I was sniffed out of my hiding spot and killed. Ily Lizards, but you gave me some serious ostealgia that round.
Jarek

Post by Jarek » #497080

cedarbridge wrote:
imsxz wrote:
Short of metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals. Team antagonists can do whatever they want as per lone antagonists, as long as it doesn’t harm their team. Non-antagonists can do whatever they want to antagonists as per lone antagonists, but non-antagonists are not allowed to pre-emptively search for, hinder or otherwise seek conflict with antagonists without reasonable prior cause. Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as an antag.

This.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #497081

Here's some precedent from the headmin Armhulenn quoting Optimumtact on the previous bug abuse policy discussion "Bug abuse - is it ok and how much?"

The precedent is to say that, yes, there can be some leeway when Bug Abuse is accepted, sometimes.
Jarek

Post by Jarek » #497082

Shadowflame909 wrote:Here's some precedent from the headmin Armhulenn quoting Optimumtact on the previous bug abuse policy discussion "Bug abuse - is it ok and how much?"

The entire issue was based on the fact I went so hard on it in the first place. One or two extra ops and gear I wouldn't have otherwise gotten would have been fine, but I did buy a lot of shit. 7 mechs is pretty fucked. Granted mechs on ops aren't exactly great, and in war ops they're easy targets, but that doesn't change the fact they're mechs.
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #498210

sorry about the lack of reply, I've been pondering over this but I haven't really been super active so I forget to reply. I'm still pondering over the situation that occured. I'm glad you took my suggestion of making a ban appeal though but I'm still going to take a tiny bit more tine to come to a conclusion, like a few hours after this post amount of time.

The main reason I banned you was because you were told to stop repeatedly ingame by other players on your antag team and you continued to do it on a pretty severe level while explicitly saying you wouldn't stop in response to them. Originally there was a presumtion that you were hiding it or not being outwardly obvious about the bug in question until you noted mentioning it in the discord which you did, but that's something that should be ahelped/put on the git issue tracker and not offhandedly mentioned or alluded to.
Jarek

Post by Jarek » #498214

Karp wrote:sorry about the lack of reply, I've been pondering over this but I haven't really been super active so I forget to reply. I'm still pondering over the situation that occured. I'm glad you took my suggestion of making a ban appeal though but I'm still going to take a tiny bit more tine to come to a conclusion, like a few hours after this post amount of time.

The main reason I banned you was because you were told to stop repeatedly ingame by other players on your antag team and you continued to do it on a pretty severe level while explicitly saying you wouldn't stop in response to them. Originally there was a presumtion that you were hiding it or not being outwardly obvious about the bug in question until you noted mentioning it in the discord which you did, but that's something that should be ahelped/put on the git issue tracker and not offhandedly mentioned or alluded to.

Yeah. Ignoring people was mainly based on the fact less that I thought they didn't want me to do it and more because I thought they thought I or they would get in trouble for using the shit I ended up acquiring and less because I thought they weren't really happy with the massive fuckery of balance that was literally infinite TC. That, and the use of such an exploit in the first place was by itself not really the best thing to do, which I'm sure they were thinking about, but not me. Of course this doesn't stop the fact it was done, but I was caught up in the moment and I suppose the excitement of finding out it worked and that made me more than a little ignorant to what the consequences were going to be.

The wait is completely fine. I appreciate a reply at all.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #498351

I was a crew member that round.

For what it's worth, I LOVED that round. It was hilariously chaotic and a true fight.

If it was done repeatedly by nuke ops, it would quickly grow frustrating. As a one off thing on the 2nd nukie round in a row, it was perfectly acceptable imo.

I support an unban and a simple note.
Jarek

Post by Jarek » #499316

Bumping this if it matters. The actual server ban wears off at the end of tommorow. Is there any chance this appeal will be resolved before then?
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #499331

Whew, the original intention of the server ban+antag ban was to push away from having people try to abuse major bugs in a big way. The issue originally was that someone had to be lucky enough to be on the server, find out that you managed to give your team that much TC, and had to figure out how it was done from another party which was why perceptions of what happened were malicious. The original intention for the antag ban was for it to stick around for a month after your ban timed out. Massive apologies but i intended on shaving off a week at least from the server ban, I'll lift the rest of it and the antag ban due to the inability to do that. I wasn't sure if I was being too harsh or if I wasn't being harsh enough as a result of sleep deprivation so apologies.

Just remember to report bugs on the git issue tracker/adminhelp them please, stating them in the discord IS a sign of trying to report it but most people will still assume that you're trying to keep an exploit under wraps to abuse again. If you want the note edited in any way over any inaccuracies you can state your issue but I apologize again over what happened.
Jarek

Post by Jarek » #499362

Karp wrote:Whew, the original intention of the server ban+antag ban was to push away from having people try to abuse major bugs in a big way. The issue originally was that someone had to be lucky enough to be on the server, find out that you managed to give your team that much TC, and had to figure out how it was done from another party which was why perceptions of what happened were malicious. The original intention for the antag ban was for it to stick around for a month after your ban timed out. Massive apologies but i intended on shaving off a week at least from the server ban, I'll lift the rest of it and the antag ban due to the inability to do that. I wasn't sure if I was being too harsh or if I wasn't being harsh enough as a result of sleep deprivation so apologies.

Just remember to report bugs on the git issue tracker/adminhelp them please, stating them in the discord IS a sign of trying to report it but most people will still assume that you're trying to keep an exploit under wraps to abuse again. If you want the note edited in any way over any inaccuracies you can state your issue but I apologize again over what happened.

Thank you! I checked the note and there's no real glaring problems with it so I don't mind it. I'll be sure to check what I'm doing is kosher for the future, though.