Loss of people from basil's inactivity

General SS13 Chat
MistahOso

Loss of people from basil's inactivity

Post by MistahOso » #2933

Basil, although less popular, usually had a steady population of players. but with the recent birth of Antyom i feel like a lot of players weren't in the know and we lost some of them.

Now i have a hard time believing that all those players would just disappear, but since the /tg/ wiki has no indication that this server exists. i think they either went on sibyl or just fucked off all together.

it's unfortunate and i wonder how we could get players of old to come back.

if you're reading this and you'd an old basil regular, please use this. i'm sure we'll be glad to have you back. byond://game.tgstation13.org:3337
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Loss of people from basil's inactivuity

Post by Ikarrus » #2934

It's unavoidable every time we make a move like this. But any way to better disseminate information like this would be good.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #2938

It's a shame, I pretty much played exclusively on basil. But I wanted to stick with the TG code and ended up back at sybil.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #2940

Some moved to Sibyl, most seem to have gone to Artyom. I myself stick to Sibyl now due to the population issue. I prefer Metastation and the Basil community , however they no longer have round types other than traitor and changeling due to it averaging below 20 players readied at round-start. Cult is lost forever to 20+, so I got sick of it and moved on. I come back to Artyom when this is not the case, however.

I am part of the population problem, as it is a self-exacerbating issue. Having 70+ players packed into one server while the other has 18 and Basil flat-lined at 0 is just sad. It would take a personal sacrifice of several players' fun to fix, however.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #2982

MistahOso wrote:but since the /tg/ wiki has no indication that this server exists
I'm not sure what you mean by this; all three servers associated with /tg/ or NT station are linked on the wiki and website's main pages.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #2999

For the longest time, I played exclusively on Basil, but since the population went kaput I sulked back to Sybil.
I still refuse to play on Artyom. It's not out of pure, unbridled hatred, it's just that I support one way and not the other.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #3066

I suppose what we could do is "Rally the troops" and put a call out to start playing on basil again. If a few of the more influential players make a concerted effort to start on basil again we can make it pick up a player population again.

Before it started dropping basil was consistently getting 30+ most evenings. Often levelling out with sybil once in a while and seeing as the amount of players has seemingly increased there's no reason this isn't possible.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #3067

I moved to Artyom because everyone from Basil moved there. I'm not too fussed about the coding of either server, I went there for the playerbase. Sybil a shit in that regards, leading to more admin attention on that server and less on Basil and Artyom where Griff is now becoming more common at times when I play.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #3218

Comrade Leo wrote:I moved to Artyom because everyone from Basil moved there. I'm not too fussed about the coding of either server, I went there for the playerbase. Sybil a shit in that regards, leading to more admin attention on that server and less on Basil and Artyom where Griff is now becoming more common at times when I play.
^^^

The only reason I play on Artyom and not Basil is because Arytom is the new Sibyl2. It's got what few familar faces remain, it's got Metastation, and the code is similar enough to TGS for me to not give a shit. If Basil picked itself up into 10-15 on the off hours and 20-30 in the afternoon/evenings, I'd be on it.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #3238

If you get desperate you could have me as a special guest to draw people in

*winky face
you're gonna carry that weight
Quey

Re: Loss of people from basil's inactivity

Post by Quey » #3403

Well, Artyom's still fairly new and people are attracted to novelty, and yeah there's the cycle of see empty server -> keep server empty by playing elsewhere.
I have played on all three servers, and I even played on the empty EU server while it was there. It was kinda nice, as I got to learn important jobs without risking someone else's fun. I also found that if I played for a good while, people would slowly creep into the game and get some real rounds going. So while it would help if y'all could jump up in there en masse, just going in by yourself to do something you normally wouldn't could bring others in.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #3404

If admins were to take turns just giving Basil some fun and unique rounds I'm sure that could help pump life into it.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #3405

I am still actively trying to get Artyom and Basil merged, as per the results of the vote on the matter.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #3412

I doubt it's still possible to save Basil now, aside from merging it. Many Basil regulars seem to like the new codebase and splitting Artyom's userbase into half just to get Basil going again seems like a bad idea for both servers.

I don't really have any codebase preference so I might be a bit biased, but I find it silly that people would rather play on Sybil than Artyom despite being prefering the Basil community.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #3414

"I don't have a bias for either codebase so I might be a little biased"
tokiko you are honestly my favorite person in this community
you're just so
innocent
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #3431

all I know is basil has literally no reason to exist and probably shouldn't

and that artyom should be using the /tg/station database instead of erro's because we share administration and there's really no reason not to other than to be different
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #3531

You guys know why it probably won't happen. I hope it does, but really it's stacked against us it seems.
Mandurrrh

Post by Mandurrrh » #4697

Comrade Leo wrote:I moved to Artyom because everyone from Basil moved there. I'm not too fussed about the coding of either server, I went there for the playerbase. Sybil a shit in that regards, leading to more admin attention on that server and less on Basil and Artyom where Griff is now becoming more common at times when I play.

Same here went to Artyom because thats where the basil player base went. They are practically the same place but has to follow to stay with the player base I enjoyed playing with. Unfortunately the newness has died down some and we have lost a lot of basil players which sucks. Having the split was enough to get people to switch to other servers and Artyom just isn't as much fun as basil was. It has its moments but a lot of the regulars that made up the player base, the different events and fun we had on basil, and the general population has all gone down hill. We've lost like half of our regular basil players. I even hear Kaine and Sasha aren't together on the new server they are playing on! Also we rarely get to do event games. They say no extended but we have a lot of longggggg tator rounds. We get cult and nuke ops but they seem to have lost their fun-ness and usually last about 10 minutes. Just feels really offbalance now.
SergeantSkread
Byond Username: SergeantSkread

Post by SergeantSkread » #4712

Surprised Artyom even gets cult and nuke ops considering the population I usually see it get.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #4845

Basil arty merge when
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #4846

you could always try contingency terbs
you're gonna carry that weight
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #4850

Perhaps people don't play on those servers because they don't like the stations?
I am a big fan of Box and Asteroid, not as much Metastation
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #4853

opinion discarded
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #4975

The awesome Maint made efficiency better.
What's the redeeming feature of Metastation?
SergeantSkread
Byond Username: SergeantSkread

Post by SergeantSkread » #4976

Helios wrote:The awesome Maint made efficiency better.
What's the redeeming feature of Metastation?
maintenance, too
Mecha Musume

Post by Mecha Musume » #5593

It's really depressing to see Basil so dead all the time, it was the main server I played on, and with it like this I barely even play anymore. Heck, if basil gets merged into artyom I'm probably gonna forget about it all together. Sybil rounds just don't have the same feeling that basil ones do, and theres no way I'm gonna play on NT because they're the ones who caused this split. :/
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #5595

Mecha Musume wrote: because they're the ones who caused this split. :/
why can't you let that shit drop

we're all here trying to have a good time and shit and make deep fried deep fried deep fried gummy worm flavored candy cane gummy bear salad sandwich burger cake slice bread

and you people keep bringing that shit up
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #5723

I'd like to see basil run Gia's ministation map and codebase for really low pop servers

That'd help keep things ticking over when there are only few players.