Github Merging

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Github Merging

Post by Timonk » #498667

so, basically, why does oranges keep merging heavily disliked stuff? shouldnt there be something that prevents him from merging (policy wise) without considering what the community wants?
Examples:
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/44324
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/44530
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/42386
all of these were heavily disliked, yet oranges still merged them.

dont get me wrong here, this isnt just oranges, but hes doing most of it.

also a gem i found in my pics, god bless his soul
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Re: Github Merging

Post by Shaps-cloud » #498671

DIVISION BETWEEN THE SERVER AND THE CODEBASE IS-
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #498672

you answered your own post with a post inside your post.

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #498674

Probably the most intelligent deitus post I’ve ever seen. But to a degree I feel a “dictator” like codebase is necessary, because the masses really never do seem to know what they actually want. In some select cases its seemed almost antagonistic of the coders to keep certain features, especially when votes have proven they are in the minority. But I suppose thats the price we have to pay for the stability that figures such as oranges bring to SS13.
[this space reserved]
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498675

bobbahbrown wrote:you answered your own post with a post inside your post.
my point is it shouldn't be like that
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #498676

just because a majority vote agrees on something doesn't make it a good idea
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498679

wesoda25 wrote:because the masses really never do seem to know what they actually want
i mean, there is a player poll feature and when was the last time a testmerge got unmerged?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498680

Screemonster wrote:just because a majority vote agrees on something doesn't make it a good idea
yea, some of this may not seem like a good idea, but that's what the players want, and not for it to be removed.
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #498683

Timonk wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:because the masses really never do seem to know what they actually want
i mean, there is a player poll feature and when was the last time a testmerge got unmerged?
It’s usually rare for a feature removal of testmerge stuff bc for it to be testmerged in the first place, coders are usually on board. By the test merge, any flaws coders see are ironed out and its deemed ready for the game. Theres been lots tho im sure, none I could list off the top of my head tho.
[this space reserved]
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #498695

This isn't for Policy Discussions - the administration (including the headmins) have no greater say in what gets merged then the average player does.

If you're interested in asking oranges about his rationale I suggest posting in the coding subforum - Coding or Feedback, probably.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #498741

Arianya wrote:This isn't for Policy Discussions - the administration (including the headmins) have no greater say in what gets merged then the average player does.

If you're interested in asking oranges about his rationale I suggest posting in the coding subforum - Coding or Feedback, probably.
Not sure why you locked this thread after this post. I believe the suggestion is to reform the current system into a policy that the server has some say over, which is a valid point of discussion in here, like it or not.

A "democratic" pull request process is absolutely something that could hypothetically be put in place as a policy.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #498745

Game design is not and should not be a popularity contest
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #498749

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Arianya wrote:This isn't for Policy Discussions - the administration (including the headmins) have no greater say in what gets merged then the average player does.

Not sure why you locked this thread after this post. I believe the suggestion is to reform the current system into a policy that the server has some say over, which is a valid point of discussion in here, like it or not.

A "democratic" pull request process is absolutely something that could hypothetically be put in place as a policy.
That's incredibly wild hypothetical on your part - realistically one that could only be implemented by fork of the codebase or the codebase ceding to it. Regardless, this thread is in violation of the Policy Discussion rules:
4.) This board is for discussing in-game administrative policy and rules, including in-game server configuration; coding policies and rules is discussed in #coderbus viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #498750

SpaceManiac wrote:Game design is not and should not be a popularity contest
Strong agree. Its good that players are interested in the state of the game and its development direction. They should actively share how they feel about changes and make/suggest some. But many necessary changes would not currently exist if every change were subject to even more political games and hand wringing. Getting to vote about changes feels good for the randoms that cast votes, but merely playing the game does not grant special insight into how the game functions nor does it provide a stable field on which the game can be developed.

This also opens the door to code changes by coders people like for reasons other than their code gaining more support for their changes not because they are good changes, but because the coder is popular or charismatic and pulls more people to upvote their code.

Keep democratic memes out of the codebase
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #498755

yeah let's do a global player poll on every server for every PR before it gets merged, even minor bugfixes, there are no downsides to this at all
unless you're saying a pr being merged or not should be decided by the upvotes and downvotes it gets on github, which is even funnier honestly
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #498758

Arianya wrote:
4.) This board is for discussing in-game administrative policy and rules, including in-game server configuration; coding policies and rules is discussed in #coderbus viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150
Going to say that this is superseded by the act of proposing new policy, which I explicitly allowed in the board guidlines (see https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=11057)
Normally coding changes would be moved out, yes, but this thread is specifically about proposing a new server policy that handles how we interact with code.
Whether what's proposed in this thread is a good idea or not should be discussed, and whether it should be locked and resolved is up to headmins (or on rare occasion a moderator if the thread goes wildly out of hand), not you.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #498775

I think a system where if a feature is controversial enough, and its put to vote in game and say X% of active players vote X% majority, coders have to honor the polls decision. This way only truly horrific features which are universally hated can be put up for removal, a check of sorts.

The “teehee every bugfix vote” is idiotic and we know it. What I proposed obviously wouldn’t be a perfect system, nor should it be the finished product, but would giving the players some sort of insurance against the will of coders.
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498784

cedarbridge wrote:
Strong agree. Its good that players are interested in the state of the game and its development direction. They should actively share how they feel about changes and make/suggest some. But many necessary changes would not currently exist if every change were subject to even more political games and hand wringing. Getting to vote about changes feels good for the randoms that cast votes, but merely playing the game does not grant special insight into how the game functions nor does it provide a stable field on which the game can be developed.

This also opens the door to code changes by coders people like for reasons other than their code gaining more support for their changes not because they are good changes, but because the coder is popular or charismatic and pulls more people to upvote their code.

Keep democratic memes out of the codebase
I would agree if maintainers actually gave a damn about quality control.

So many controversial obviously bug filled Prs getting merged.

We need a little bit more than just the bare minimum that is instantly closing the obvious meme PRs.

Coders should be forced to fix the issues in their ideas if they want it merged. A half-baked idea only harms the people that actually play the game.

Tsk tsk tsk.
► Show Spoiler
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #498797

Exactly which part of "give a bunch of non-coders a vote on what counts for good code" suddenly makes the code better? You don't make the NBA better by having the fans in the bleachers write the rules.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #498798

cedarbridge wrote:Exactly which part of "give a bunch of non-coders a vote on what counts for good code" suddenly makes the code better? You don't make the NBA better by having the fans in the bleachers write the rules.
Fans of the NBA don’t play the game.
[this space reserved]
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #498799

wesoda25 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Exactly which part of "give a bunch of non-coders a vote on what counts for good code" suddenly makes the code better? You don't make the NBA better by having the fans in the bleachers write the rules.
You're right. They pay for the tickets and attend the game. You log onto a server running the codebase's code. They play the game you want a hand in: the code.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498813

Jimmius wrote:yeah let's do a global player poll on every server for every PR before it gets merged, even minor bugfixes, there are no downsides to this at all
unless you're saying a pr being merged or not should be decided by the upvotes and downvotes it gets on github, which is even funnier honestly
Maybe a mix of that? Make a player poll for controversial PRs?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498814

cedarbridge wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:
You're right. They pay for the tickets and attend the game. You log onto a server running the codebase's code. They play the game you want a hand in: the code.
I mean the NBA viewers are basically the audience on YouTube, etc. and we are the basketball players?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #498815

Timonk wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:
I mean the NBA viewers are basically the audience on YouTube, etc. and we are the basketball players?
How on Earth did you come to such a terrible conclusion?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498816

Because we play the game while the greedy team owners make terrible business decisions
► Show Spoiler
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #498818

This basketball analogy is clearly too confusing, if it's so easy to equate "playing spacemans" with "playing pro basketball" just because they're both called "playing".

Coding involves work. The best way to influence the direction of the codebase is to put in that work.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498820

I'm sick of all the work being half-assed and being accepted.

Because ultimately it harms the player.

The player is sick of being abused! aaaaa
► Show Spoiler
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #498822

I can’t really think of a better system than what we have here. While there are some moments that I think democracy would be better, there are also moments where something is changed for the better despite all people wanting otherwise separated chemicals
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #498828

Outside the scope of this, but I always thought there was a 24 hour rule to merging new pull requests?

Realistically, and on topic, nothing will change.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #498842

SpaceManiac wrote:This basketball analogy is clearly too confusing, if it's so easy to equate "playing spacemans" with "playing pro basketball" just because they're both called "playing".

Coding involves work. The best way to influence the direction of the codebase is to put in that work.
I'm guessing that's the only way that metaphor got confused. "I consume the thing so I'm best suited to dictate how the thing is made" makes no sense in either of those cases.
Shadowflame909 wrote:Because we play the game while the greedy team owners make terrible business decisions
Entitlement without actual entitlement.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #498845

bring back kor
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #498847

return the slime to us
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498851

I actually agreed with pretty much of all of Kors design decisions but I'm still unsure if there was actually a point of time, even in Kor's time. That people actually had any convincing power over the maintainers.

Basically oligarchs now.

Which makes me quite the aggro'd gamer when broken half-baked PRs get merged instead of maintainers forcing lame shitters to fix their own PRs.

I know that even the current maintainers don't give a fuck about the current issue tracker (Some of them do. I guess, otherwise that whole code lock-down thing would have never happened.) But I don't think we should just allow code to break mechanics and gimmicks very noticeably and just wait for someone else to code a fix for it because you like the PR.

That's so lazy and WYCI is going to crash and burn /tg/station with no survivors because with minimal design direction other then "shake up the meta to keep power-gamers on their toes" and "nerf this old feature because players have gotten too reliant on it" you're going to end up in a state of entropy where the game literally is too convoluted to do anything enjoyable anymore.

So yeah, you're going to turn us into paradise maintainers!
► Show Spoiler
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498854

are you telling me you would merge something that literally nobody wants?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #498855

Timonk wrote:
are you telling me you would merge something that literally nobody wants?
hello i wanted all three of the prs in the OP merged
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #498857

Timonk wrote:yea, some of this may not seem like a good idea, but that's what the players want, and not for it to be removed.
So say this topic inspires new policy and the community gets a greater say in merges. Hypothetically, let's say something unpopular needs to get merged and, in hindsight, that thing will be good for the server. Do you think the community would be able to make the right choice and allow it to be merged?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498859

If it needed to be merged then it wouldn't be unpopular.

Sorry gamer, but the maintaners and the players want a whole different game.
► Show Spoiler
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #498864

Shadowflame909 wrote:If it needed to be merged then it wouldn't be unpopular.
Do you believe this will be the case every single time there's an unpopular PR? Why should we trust the community's foresight?
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498867

IkeTG wrote:
Do you believe this will be the case every single time there's an unpopular PR? Why should we trust the community's foresight?
Do you really think the majority of players wanted seperated chems and null crates removed? Emagging the cargo console is basically useless now unless you want that static weak gamer gear for 5k or so
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #498868

Timonk wrote:Do you really think the majority of players wanted seperated chems and null crates removed?
That wasn't my question.
Timonk

Post by Timonk » #498869

Kinda answered that first part though
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Agux909 wrote:

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498870

IkeTG wrote:
Because I have no reason not to.
► Show Spoiler
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #498874

You're arguing that oranges doesn't give a good enough reason why something was merged, but here you are not giving a good enough reason why something shouldn't be merged. How would applying this topic's policy change anything except making a force in the codebase that's way harder to hold accountable?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498878

No, I'm upset that so much broken code gets merged and the maintainers shove it onto other people to fix it. "eventually"

If the bug is obvious, then the coder should fix their own shit before it gets merged. We shouldn't accept the half-baked code.

That's all I'm saying. If the maintainers aren't willing to do so. Then maybe the players would have more interest in the quality of life of /tg/station. Since they're the ones actually dealing with it.
► Show Spoiler
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #498882

You're trying to frame the issue of bugs as a matter of laziness or irresponsibility because it's easier to attack those two points. "If the bug is obvious..." If all the bugs are so obvious, why are all the players, who in your eyes are perfectly capable of vetting merges, not fixing them right now?
If you want meaningful change you need to make a good, solid case for the change. Otherwise, you're just beating around the bush and squabbling over what if's.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498883

That's the problem. We have over 1000 bugs that the maintainers seemingly don't care about because of how "wonky" the issue tracker is.

We don't need any PRs adding more of them.

It's a quality of life thing. And maintainers aren't living up to quality control.

The only real aspect of that I've seen is just instantly closing meme PRs as PK Penguin adds in a dildo PR. Or another counter-nerf PR's that happen out of outrage.

I just want more quality control.

Because of the current standard of accepting quirks and issues within a PR only makes the game worse.

Also Hint, if the ever-growing issue logger isn't a sign. Those issues don't get fixed.
► Show Spoiler
IkeTG

Post by IkeTG » #498884

You're saying quality control but you aren't making a visible case as to what you mean by quality control or how you think one could work towards achieving this quality control. This is a good example of why giving players a say in what gets merged would make things more confusing and less efficient, simply because a lot of players would say Thing Bad but couldn't feasibly elaborate on workable solutions or alternatives.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #498885

itt people with no understanding of how to run a codebase
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #498886

Separated chems were cancer, good PR. Null crates were cancer, good PR. Autocloning was cancer, good PR.

If you’re gonna quote features for your argument at least address stuff like hygiene.
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #498889

If you want some examples. When I look at the recent PRs. I get really annoyed at the disregard of simple mob functions and their antagonists. You nerfed dragging but gave people a feasible alternative. (Almost didn't exist until PKpenguin came up with the idea. But the execution ended up just being another roundabout minor movement speed nerf.) The problem with this was, is that simple mobs were not addressed and ultimately ignored. Because "They're not important enough for me to care" as oranges put it so eloquently.

On another example, stasis. It left some gaps to fill in medbay as it made doctors even more useless and forced people to rely on an unreliable role. It wasn't a 1:1 replacement as the maintainer who merged it put it, and hoped that it would inspire people either out of anger or frustration to fix medbay themselves.

It didn't, and the maintainer themselves had to add in a bit more to keep medical doctors busy.

These issues would both be addressed by some quality control that I'm looking for. A simple, "Your PR has issues like ___ and until they get fixed. This is simply not compatible with our code-base."

You cannot rely on people to care about things that do not affect them. You have to give them a reason to care. Maybe a coder would fix the botched PRs after a month passes and they realize "Hey. Why does this role suck so much? How come no one fixed this?" But I feel like this could ultimately be more easily addressed by just having the original person. Either fix it or not merge their half-baked idea at all.

To simply put it. I want it to be the original coder's problem. They only care whether their nerf PR gets merged or not. Why shouldn't the maintainers make them care about the issues their nerf PR brings up?

This is what confuses me.
► Show Spoiler