Techweb Related Code Bounties

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Techweb Related Code Bounties

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #499047

I will pay 5usd for each list following list point. they may be in separate PRs or grouped if you feel you can push multiple points in one PR. If you feel a point requires more work then 5usd can justify, I can negotiate.

-Move Bag of Holding to its own node after Tier 4 parts (Advanced BS I think?). 5000 tech points.
-Ability to halt research point generation of Research servers through the console in the server room.
-Logging on RnD console of the last tech researched, who did it, and GPS coordinates of console used. Downstream servers should have this code if a port would be easier.

-Ability for Research Director access to set tech nodes to high priority (moves to top of list and makes it stand out some way)
-Ability for Research Director access to block (and unblock) tech individual tech nodes from being researched. Emagged consoles can bypass.
-Less related but I still want it: bags of holding and body bags of holding make a very small explosion and qdel when placed inside each other (to prevent boh bomb cheese)

Pre tech webs, the RD was able to more easily actually direct research (Primarially through the server console). I hope to bring some of this back through these, so the title "Research Director" means something again, and allows some means of sabotage that is more subtle (by halting point gen) and also to make it harder for people to build consoles to steal all the points without science being able to find out and know who to lynch.
Last edited by Yakumo_Chen on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Re: Techweb Related Code Bounties

Post by knacker48 » #499050

Is that halting of research points just for antags to sabotage RnD or is there some non-harmful reason you see for doing it?
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #499051

Gives the server consoles a use again since all they do is list the servers that are two tiles away regardless. You used to be able to delete research from it before tech webs.

Gives the RD a bit more sway over research, they can threaten to turn off servers if security or something is building research insoles and stealing all the points without needing to physically destroy them.

Similar to the fact that the CE can turn off gravity or halt power if he feels slighted in some way. You mainly will see antag doing it but sometimes there will be valid reason to.
dapocalypse
Byond Username: Dapocalypse

Post by dapocalypse » #499077

Can i give this a thicc claim
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #499208

Can I dibs on

-Move Bag of Holding to its own node after Tier 4 parts (Advanced BS I think?). 5000 tech points.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
dapocalypse
Byond Username: Dapocalypse

Post by dapocalypse » #499304

FloranOtten wrote:Can I dibs on

Bruh
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #499343

I don't intend to reserve these for anyone, I figure whoever wants to code them can civilly sort it out amongst each other.

Just let me know in thread I guess when you pr and PM me a payment method when it's up to snuff.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #499348

Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #499352

As for the reasoning behind the bag changes, I've never liked the fact you unlock then wither tier 4 parts. The parts are always useful, but the bags tend to be more trouble then they're worth, and a pretty powerful item in their own right.

Also being able to boh bomb by hiding one in a body bag of holding in your pocket is cheesy and gay because you can't detect it.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #500290

Why not place the logging onto the console in the server room? You could totally have a full list of all tech researched, ore silo style, instead of only the most recent.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #500309

That's an option as well. However, I know for a fact that downstreams have the last tech research listed on the RnD console, along with who did it, and where. Coders will probably find it less work to port then to write a whole new thing.
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #500329

The other question is what to do if someone just removes their ID before getting the tech? Sure, we can find what console they used, but it'll show up as "Unknown" for the user. Is that fine and dandy?

Also, on an unrelated note; how do we feel about golems getting to research things? I suppose you could block their console, but they'd just be able to print more boards from the circuit imprinter and keep going. The other option would be making all consoles unable to research by default, and then manually setting the two in science, and the first board that golems get to be unlocked at round-start. That way the golems only get locked if they're being a pain in the ass, and it also stops engineering from becoming Science Bravo. I might try doing this one too, after the history one.
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #500338

doesnt the golem ship havea static tele beacon? just maxcap them if they are griefing with rnd points
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #500364

True, but we could just as easily add functionality to shut off their research tech while we're already here. It wouldn't really be too much extra work, and I like the idea of restricting Engineering's ability to just convert their RD console from production mode to research mod.

Anyway, while looking through and setting up code for the logs and console disabling, I ended up getting most of the halting points thing done.
Spoiler:
This screenshot is like way bigger than it should have been.
servercontroller.png
servercontroller.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
I figure the console locking and logs could either come after, or else be on tabs selected from the top. It makes the most sense to me that they would be on the server controller console. Turns out there's already logging done for researching nodes, it just doesn't display anywhere (that I know of) yet.
serverlogs.png
serverlogs.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
Is area location good, or do you want exact coordinates too?
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #500477

Exact coordinates would be preferred, science already works with GPS units and it's similarly in line with AI upload (that shows straight up on GPS however).

The console reading ID is fine, I want to allow for some amount of deception. For the same reason I'm actually against the wholesale disabling of consoles. Science should have some control over research (by prioritizing and disabling specific nodes or halting points) but I don't want them to be able to easily completely monopolize the system.
zxaber
In-Game Admin

Post by zxaber » #500556

Disabling point regen and research log.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/44783
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #500909

Quick update: The bag of holding PR has been merged. Someone who hasn't posted in this thread has also offered to do the block and priority points as well. I have also been asked via PM about the final point.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #503135

The person coding the last two major points has been unresponsive, in case anyone wanted to beat them to it.

I believe Questinus also asked me about the last point, the body bag of holding nerf, but I don't believe they made a PR, so it's probably up for grabs as well.
nicbn
Byond Username: NicBR

Post by nicbn » #503696

They aren't body bags of holding, they are bluespace body bags. They can only contain 15 mobs and 30 total items, and currently cannot contain another bluespace body bag. They are thematically different from bags of holding, it doesn't make much sense to make them explode because bags of holding will do too.
Do you still want this change?
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #503824

nicbn wrote:They aren't body bags of holding, they are bluespace body bags. They can only contain 15 mobs and 30 total items, and currently cannot contain another bluespace body bag. They are thematically different from bags of holding, it doesn't make much sense to make them explode because bags of holding will do too.
Do you still want this change?
The change I want is to prevent people from carrying the BoH inside a bluespace body bag, so they be unable to to BoH bomb with a pocket-sized item instead of a huge one.
The other way around should also work because being able to carry BoH-storage tier items inside BoHs isn't cool and it should make sense to have it work one way if it works the other way around.
I don't want the explosion to be large, or deadly, just big enough to teach people that you shouldn't be able to do it, not big enough to be used offensively. Something like a 0,0,0 from a PDA bomb or fireball.