OOC bans for copypastas and consistency

Blase
Byond Username: MacBlaze

OOC bans for copypastas and consistency

Post by Blase » #503283

It seems there is a lack of policy on OOC enforcement and that it is left up to admins with extreme varying degrees of punishment. Ive seen a bunch of players spam The Lexia Black nuke op pasta or the Jay Gibson salt pasta from the restart of the server all the way until the round begins, and no one is banned. On the other hand, I've been banned for pasting a pasta one time for 2 hours. I wish there was some consistency in enforcement and cause of OOC bans.
I dont believe copypastas posted one time is a cause for banning, twice sure, but just because 10 people post a pasta on their own once does not mean each person is collectively responsible for 10 reposts of the pasta. If the same people spam it the same, like I saw another doing right before my two hour OOC ban, then that is cause for an OOC ban. They got banned, thats good. Copypastas being OOC bannable would be fine if they actually said such in the rules. But its a gamble posting them. I believe they should be allowed before and after the round, not during. Its just the grey area is confusing, are they allowed or not?
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: OOC bans for copypastas and consistency

Post by Arianya » #503284

generally speaking you probably shouldn't spam up OOC with meaningless copypasta, and "me too-ing" a copypasta isn't really an excuse to do it - especially if its a big chunk of text. that scrolls other messages off screen.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Blase
Byond Username: MacBlaze

Post by Blase » #503286

Arianya wrote:generally speaking you probably shouldn't spam up OOC with meaningless copypasta, and "me too-ing" a copypasta isn't really an excuse to do it - especially if its a big chunk of text. that scrolls other messages off screen.
As Ive said, Id like that to be added to the rules. During a round when people actually need to see chat, copypastas should not be pasted, after and before the round, I believe is fine, as no one is doing anything but chatting about previous rounds and shitposting. Consistent ban lengths and application of punishment would be good too.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #504148

Arianya wrote:generally speaking you probably shouldn't spam up OOC with meaningless copypasta, and "me too-ing" a copypasta isn't really an excuse to do it - especially if its a big chunk of text. that scrolls other messages off screen.
Copy pasta is fine depending on the situation.

Mid round? Yeah, obviously it should be a bwoink. But when the server is restarting on a round end, and you throw a "jaysob gibson" pasta, it really shouldn't be a 10 minute ban, which is just enough to fuck your next round.

Basically, round end bs should be allowed. Or, at least, the admins should warn people to stop once before utilizing the banhammer.

But seriously, let people meme a bit at round end/round prep. It's not the end of the world. It's the internet and meme pastas are part of its culture. This is a game after all.
Iron, blood and spider armies
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #504152

Why do you think your block of text is more important then people who want to cool off talking about the round or asking questions that they couldn't during the round?

It's fine to have a little copy pasta - it's a meme-y community, it's to be expected, but when it becomes excessive, either in number of messages or in pure volume of text, you shouldn't expect some magical exemption from the rules that do already exist against this kind of thing:
The Rules, Rule 1 Precedents wrote: Spamming any channel is not allowed, this goes for radio spam, AI vox announcement spam, paper at camera spam and other forms of spam. Non-antagonists doing so may not defend themselves and may suffer from IC or OOC consequences. Antagonists can to a certain extent, moreso with reading things like WGW over the radio, but may be told by admins to stop if it becomes excessive. Spamming can result from in-game admin intervention ending in you dying, to admin warnings, to bans for excessive or repeated spamming.
Ultimately, if an admin says to cut it out with the copy pasta/spam, and you then go and post more copy pasta/spam, don't be shocked if you get a kick or a short ban. But in general a bit of common sense is a wonderful thing - see 8 people posting a full paragraph of copypasta? Don't be the 9th idiot!
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #504180

Not gonna disagree on the point that, if an admin says stop, you should stop immediately.

But I think having arbitrary kicks/short bans because you were the nth (arbitrarily) person to post it is also dum.

It's honestly not that hard an issue to solve. Just have the admins warn once to stop. That should solve any feelings of arbitrariness and stop >ADMIN ABUSE complaints that crop up basically daily.

Makes both our lives easier.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #504184

it's not dumb if it teaches them not to do it again
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Arathian

Post by Arathian » #504191

Mickyan wrote:it's not dumb if it teaches them not to do it again
Arbitrary and unpredictable moderation is bad, mmmkay
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #504195

No warning bans for spam when a player posted something only one time, with no prior notes, is really dumb when the admin can also just as easily mute ooc, tell people to quit, and then ban for any additional instances.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #504212

One solution is to just turn off OOC during in-progress rounds. It's not a bad one.
Another is to not but then ban idiots who are stupid enough to meme in ooc 'because it's there and we can.' I mean, at least one of these is fun, but not really if you forget to turn off ooc and are enjoying a round.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #504214

Yakumo_Chen wrote:No warning bans for spam when a player posted something only one time, with no prior notes, is really dumb when the admin can also just as easily mute ooc, tell people to quit, and then ban for any additional instances.
People getting 10 minutes bans get the message out better, I've banned a few now and it seems to have cut it down quite a bit. I've also conferred with the headmins about it and it was very much approved.

Anyone breaking rules can be banned on the first offense.
Our mistake was being lenient in the first place.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #504240

my 2 cents:
posting it once is fine, posting it more than once is lame. if it's being proper spammed with everyone only posting it once it's probably a good pasta

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #504276

All is fair round-end and pre-round but let's not do it during the round.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #504541

there are also per-player OOC mutes which aren't used as often as they should be
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #515202

We already enforce this rule, people that spam copypastas get banned or muted from OOC for the round.

As a side note, people that spam copypasta when the round has already started usually get punished harder than when it's done before it starts or after it ends.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW: