Byond Username: APaRist

[Peoplearestrange] APaRist - This is a TDM server now

Post by APaRist » #504046

When and where this incident occured (Game Server, forums, Discord): Terry
Byond account and character name: APaRist, James Blaine
Admin: Peoplearestrange
ROUND ID HERE IF APPLICABLE:113699
Detailed summary:
I was playing assistant when a security officer called Colton Bousom (not an antag) stunned me, took me to the brig and then proceeded to search me. The reason for this was that he "saw me skulking in maint near corpses" (I wasn't). He then say that I sent some PDA messages to a man named Dougie Jones (I think?) who was apparently a changeling. Based on this he concluded that I must be a changeling to (nevermind the fact that changelings can talk telepathically), and proceeded to decapitate me with a fire axe (which would not kill a changeling). He did not consult with the other security officers that were standing next to him before cutting my head off. I reported this in an adminhelp and was told that the admin was looking into this. I didn't hear back from them.

At the end of the round I saw that the security officer was not an antagonist. I was very confused by this, so I adminhelped again. After asking them again after the restart, before in the next round I got this response:
-- Administrator private message --

Admin PM from-Peoplearestrange: Yes they found evidence (be it bad and the WRONG) evidence and made a bad decission. They didn't go out their way to hurt random people they THOUGHT they were doing the right thing. This is the POINT of changelings, they make people paranoid and make the wrong disission. Im 100% sticking behind my conviction of this. Thank you.

I have a few things to say about this:
[*] "Yes they found evidence (be it bad and the WRONG) evidence and made a bad decission." No reasonable person would call that evidence. If anything, talking to a changeling on PDA is evidence that I'm NOT a changeling.
[*] "They didn't go out their way to hurt random people" they went out of their way and hurt me
[*] "they THOUGHT they were doing the right thing." "Yes, Your Honor, I did kill my wife and my son, but I thought I was doing the right thing!" Conviction is really no excuse, is it? Can people not be punished if the admins believe that they are sincerely stupid?
[*] "This is the POINT of changelings, they make people paranoid and make the wrong disission." The point of changelings is for security to kill people for no reason? That's TDM. You're describing TDM.

I know security can make mistakes, and I know a lot of really stupid people play security. But can we maybe hold them to at least some standard? Is not being killed for talking to a changeling really that much to ask? I mean, the sec officer thought I was a changeling and their colleagues talked to me so by that logic they could have killed everyone in sec without any kind of punishment.

(Besides, doesn't the captain or HoS have to allow an execution? I may be misremembering that.)
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [Peoplearestrange] APaRist - This is a TDM server now

Post by peoplearestrange » #504050

Firstly this sounds more like a "I didn't get the response I wanted to from an admin call" as you haven't mentioned what I did wrong specifically as an admin.

Ok lets address the ling thing first as I feel its mostly what this is all about. During a ling round paranoia is high due to anybody potentially being able to be a ling or a ling is able to mimic someone is probably a simpler way to put it. This is intentional part of the round type. It causes people to draw poor conclusions, to make bad judgement calls and ultimately other people often pay this with their life, particularly innocent people.
In this case the officer had witnessed a few horrific deaths to a changeling and had also been stung themselves in the corridors a few times. When they caught you with what they thought was skulking about and then used the PDA messages as confirmation that you had been talking with another known ling. Now obviously this isnt 100% proof but they lept badly to conclusions. They also then asked the HoS whether they should execute you a fair few times. From what I can tell the HoS told them to cremate them, but after they decap they seemed to think it was an ok idea? Either way the HoS seems to have given permission for this, so they weren't trying to circumvent the correct route.

This leads me to the most important bit, that I do not believe that Colton was trying to TDM as you put it (though I think you mean RDM as TDM usually stands for Team Death Match). They were simply a scared security officer in a round with lings doing desperate things to keep control as things spiral around them.
One officer killing someone who they were THOUGHT was a ling, is NOT the same as attacking people maliciously for no reason.

Ultimately rule 6 here comes into play. The admin team (because I believe another admin actually initially started the reply to the original ahelp) made a call that their intentions were not breaking the rules and that it was entirely an IC thing.

If you have any other complaints about my behaviour as an admin rather than the round, please make that here. Otherwise this isn't a complaint about me that I can see.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #504053

I originally investigated this. The officer made a poor judgement based on the circumstantial evidence he had: your PDA messages, a bloodied cleaver, you being in a changeling killspot were a few of the ones he named. Part of the changeling round type is innocent people getting caught in the cross fire as they get arrested for crime a ling impersonating them did, killed because of paranoia they create, etc. Please look at rule 10 if there are any more questions.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
APaRist

Post by APaRist » #504057

peoplearestrange wrote:Firstly this sounds more like a "I didn't get the response I wanted to from an admin call" as you haven't mentioned what I did wrong specifically as an admin.

Ok lets address the ling thing first as I feel its mostly what this is all about. During a ling round paranoia is high due to anybody potentially being able to be a ling or a ling is able to mimic someone is probably a simpler way to put it. This is intentional part of the round type. It causes people to draw poor conclusions, to make bad judgement calls and ultimately other people often pay this with their life, particularly innocent people.
In this case the officer had witnessed a few horrific deaths to a changeling and had also been stung themselves in the corridors a few times. When they caught you with what they thought was skulking about and then used the PDA messages as confirmation that you had been talking with another known ling. Now obviously this isnt 100% proof but they lept badly to conclusions. They also then asked the HoS whether they should execute you a fair few times. From what I can tell the HoS told them to cremate them, but after they decap they seemed to think it was an ok idea? Either way the HoS seems to have given permission for this, so they weren't trying to circumvent the correct route.

This leads me to the most important bit, that I do not believe that Colton was trying to TDM as you put it (though I think you mean RDM as TDM usually stands for Team Death Match). They were simply a scared security officer in a round with lings doing desperate things to keep control as things spiral around them.
One officer killing someone who they were THOUGHT was a ling, is NOT the same as attacking people maliciously for no reason.

Ultimately rule 6 here comes into play. The admin team (because I believe another admin actually initially started the reply to the original ahelp) made a call that their intentions were not breaking the rules and that it was entirely an IC thing.

If you have any other complaints about my behaviour as an admin rather than the round, please make that here. Otherwise this isn't a complaint about me that I can see.
BeeSting12 told me to complain here so I did. I still believe that a security officer who kills an innocent bystander for no reason other than that they are scared should be punished. If you piss yourself at the thought of dealing with antags don't play sec.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #504063

APaRist wrote: BeeSting12 told me to complain here so I did. I still believe that a security officer who kills an innocent bystander for no reason other than that they are scared should be punished. If you piss yourself at the thought of dealing with antags don't play sec.
And this is the right place to complain. But again I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

And if you don't like the risk of getting killed sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Then this is the wrong game for you sometimes you just lose, to quote rule 10.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
APaRist

Post by APaRist » #504086

peoplearestrange wrote:
APaRist wrote: BeeSting12 told me to complain here so I did. I still believe that a security officer who kills an innocent bystander for no reason other than that they are scared should be punished. If you piss yourself at the thought of dealing with antags don't play sec.
And this is the right place to complain. But again I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

And if you don't like the risk of getting killed sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Then this is the wrong game for you sometimes you just lose, to quote rule 10.
I'm aware of that, what bother me is that someone killed me for no reason other than that I talked to a changeling and is not getting punished for it. If the amount of evidence needed to execute someone is that low this might as well be a team death match server where the teams are security and everyone else
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #504127

Again, I stand by the judgement that was made in game. I think I've explained my reasoning and actions as best I can. This is all I have to say on the matter.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #504344

My question is this: If he really thought the guy was a changeling, why did he do just about the one form of execution that *doesnt* kill a changeling, decapitation?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #504367

Honestly I don't think they knew that it didn't perma kill them. Also from the logs it looks like they were planing on doing something else with the head? Theres mention of securing it.
Still little off topic from an admin complaint
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #504383

For some reason I thought this was your feedback thread instead of an admincomplaint.

Admincomplaints consisting solely of "I didnt like their decision" are usually little more than thinly-veiled ban requests and this complaint clearly fits that description to a T. I dont see anything which could in any way be described as actionable about PAS's decision or responses; whether it was correct to let them go or not.

Considering the actual substance here is "Sec should need more evidence to execute suspected changelings", I'd recommend a Policy discussion instead of wasting people's time.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #510764

It's nearly been 40 days since this was opened... can some decide on an actual outcome please?
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #511519

We have decided not to uphold this complaint.
The security officer was indeed in the wrong, but again, this game is driven by paranoia. This situation happens ALL the time - innocent people being killed because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This person even talked to the HoS to ask them if they should execute you. Their only crime was being wrong and inexperienced, but we cannot blame him for that unless it's their habit to kill with flimsy evidence. You were unlucky, and it sucks, but we don't believe Peoplearestrange made a mistake.
Apologies for the delay. We cannot post a reply until every headmin has given their opinion.
Locking this.
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try