Security buffs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Security buffs

Post by oranges » #505308

Yes you read the title right, I am considering some security buffs.

The first is inspired by goon, where the security officer has "security training" which significantly reduces the effects of stuns/stamina damage on them, and also gives them an edge in hand to hand combat.

I would have this as a trait/quirk that security officers have, roundstart and late join.
  • This would give them high stamina resists, (honestly I'm thinking as high as 50%) and lowered stun times.
  • It would also grant them increased stamina damage with their fists, as well as the ability to resist shoves stunning them at all, and more importantly they no longer drop items in their active hand when they are slipped or shoved over.
  • When they have a cuffed person in a pull grab, they are not subject to any slowdowns
  • when they have a cuffed person in a pull grab, other people cannot pull that person away from the sec officer without breaking their pull first
This is lore wise explained as they are trained in restraint/control situations and have spent time hardening themselves to these kinds of situations and fights.

The second is to take a look at security Armour, and to look at tweaking these upwards, to make security officers more resistant to common types of projectile damage like lasers and brute projectiles. Not huge amounts like their stamina/stun resist, but meaningful enough to matter.

I'm not as convinced on the armour changes being necessary, but my feeling is that the first trait needs to happen.

Yes, this makes a security officer, pound for pound, able to outmatch most crew members in a physical fight, especially where both are not using lethal weapons. However, this I think is acceptable, where the primary role of security is to be keeping the peace between crew, and resolving conflicts by arresting trouble makers, it prevents trouble makers being able to get a quick knockdown on a security officer when they're in the middle of arrests or taking someone back to security and hopefully will make security a more attractive option to play by making it easier to deal with people who are consistently causing trouble as non antagonists.

It also increases their danger rating against antags, but, the clever or prepared antag will find ways to outmatch security officers using the items they have available and they have a lot more lethal, loud options available, if they're not trying the sneaky beaky route.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Re: Security buffs

Post by oranges » #505310

update: I think being able to grant it is too powerful, so it should only be available to roundstart and late join security officers
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #505312

sec starts with strong gear, can choose which department access they want (which means having whatever unique gear that dep has like rcd and gloves from engi or boh/rush guns from sci/ order 2 disabler crates from cargo etc, have increased liberty to get stuff like extra access from hop or antag gear

having some special free combat buffs will just make people go sec then go do whatever they wanted to do as there is no obligation for the officer to care about responding to sec calls when george mc john breaks a window

i would say port security gps from vg which work as harm alarms + gps and buffs the coordination factor which usually sec lacks
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #505313

Can't we just give them better equipment?

Invisible permanent traits that give huge combat advantages are kind of cringe, bro.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #505314

Sounds like there'd be a bunch of sec officers at the HoP line roundstart.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #505318

Cool i love beating up people
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #505319

Cool i love beating up people
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #505323

Armor buff is probably unnecessary, but the "well-trained" status seems legit to me.

If you want to be able to give it to deputies but still have it somewhat balanced, make it an item you can dispense from one of the security vendors for 5k or 10k credits. If security wants to recruit deputies, they'll either have to deal with the fact that they're shittier than a regular officer, or cut into their department budget to get more competent officers.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
halitosisman
Byond Username: Halitosisman

Post by halitosisman » #505332

With player cooperation and knowledge, security players can already obtain the advantages you're proposing to give them.

-Most departments have means of providing stamina resists and reduced stun times.
-Medical and robotics can get anti drop implants. Sec has roundstart access to buckshot, which is reliable in melee.
-If sec has the above advantages, they should be able to deter prisoner stealing by putting down the individuals responsible.

Just gonna throw an alternative idea of my own out here. Most departments have means of producing these wondrous items and abilities, but little time and motivation to distribute them. If some one introduces a mechanic to solve that problem, they'll buff consumer departments like security, and simultaneously increase the player interaction that this game is all about.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #505334

Sounds nice, security officers should be a threat, not an opportunity; buffing sec gear only paints an even bigger target on their back
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #505343

Anything that shits on greytide is a plus in my book.
SIX10
Byond Username: SIX10

Post by SIX10 » #505344

halitosisman wrote:With player cooperation and knowledge, security players can already obtain the advantages you're proposing to give them.

-Most departments have means of providing stamina resists and reduced stun times.
-Medical and robotics can get anti drop implants. Sec has roundstart access to buckshot, which is reliable in melee.
-If sec has the above advantages, they should be able to deter prisoner stealing by putting down the individuals responsible.

Just gonna throw an alternative idea of my own out here. Most departments have means of producing these wondrous items and abilities, but little time and motivation to distribute them. If some one introduces a mechanic to solve that problem, they'll buff consumer departments like security, and simultaneously increase the player interaction that this game is all about.
Completely agree with this. We should encourage department cooperation and player participation, not just give it to them with no work on sec's part.
John_Gobbel
Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Post by John_Gobbel » #505347

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:sec starts with strong gear, can choose which department access they want (which means having whatever unique gear that dep has like rcd and gloves from engi or boh/rush guns from sci/ order 2 disabler crates from cargo etc, have increased liberty to get stuff like extra access from hop or antag gear

having some special free combat buffs will just make people go sec then go do whatever they wanted to do as there is no obligation for the officer to care about responding to sec calls when george mc john breaks a window

i would say port security gps from vg which work as harm alarms + gps and buffs the coordination factor which usually sec lacks
1. Going into a department and tiding their gear is a dick move. Sec shouldn't be acting like the regular old powergamer and stealing other people's shit.

2. If people go sec to do whatever they want (which they already do) the heads of staff, AI, or Captain are there to keep them in check. If the HoS isn't doing their job and demoting people who act like shitters, they should lose their job. If players aren't adminhelping when security is abusing their role, that is another problem.

3. Having security gps would also be a good idea which I've already wanted for a while and would make sense. (Ping an officer's location when their vitals drop below a certain point) Stopping combat to scream that you're in danger will either A. let the perp get away easier or B. let them kill you while you're screaming for backup.

===========

On to Oranges' post:

I think that adding the well-trained buff to security will help to assuage the impact of all of the stun-based changes being made to the game and will help keep security balanced while these changes are being made. Having security be able to do a bit extra to get criminals in custody and be able to tank a little bit more will be a HUGE quality of life change.

With regards to the armor, I think that small changes up for the regular sec gear is pretty important as most of the sec gear is barely on par with the other armors available to the crew. This goes doubly so for the HoS armor (which is sprited like POWER ARMOR from HALO but doesn't act like it). The HoS armor is very weak for what it should be doing, and honestly, when the HoS puts on their hardsuit it should mean that it's really serious. (Perhaps lock down the HoS Armor until red alert is engaged, I think that would be pretty neat).

Overall I think this is a great change for sec and will make combat between them and antagonists more interesting; less "Hurr durr I will stun you and then kill you" and more "I will outsmart you and kill you in an interesting manner."
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #505351

The syndicate energy bow uses stam damage to keep people down and it takes like 2-3 shots.
You're thinking as high as 50% so the result will be that the e-bow will need 4-6 hits to stam crit an officer?

I may be a sec main but you must understand that the fun i see in security is that it's difficult, risky. For example i wanted the taser gone because it allowed me to defeat any antag who did not utilize stimulants, making sec too easy and therefore boring so let us avoid that

The officer restraining cuffed people is great but i want to expand that.

I would like to suggest something else and it's a counter to the stimulant meta, there's no real reason to not use stimulants when you are opposing security. If a person utilizing stimulants is downed, an officer who is quick enough to act before the suspect gets up can "pin" them. If the officer is ontop of the suspect (same tile) and grabs them, the grab will be a pin. This pin prevents the suspect from getting up or crawling and the officer can slap cuffs on them. An officer who is quick to act on the 1-2 seconds that a person on stimulants is stunned can pin them down so that they may be captured rather than killed.

At the moment, when i hear a person is utilizing stimulants i load my shotgun with buckshot

The base armor the sec officer wears is level-1 armor, obviously bullets and lasers barely take notice of that and i believe that should continue being the case because you have to understand the base armor is meant to be a compromise of the riot armor in that it doesn't protect against melee as much but does not slow you down. The bulletproof armor and helmet that security has access to allows you to tank 5 syndicate revolver hits before you enter a critical condition so in regards to bullets i feel that security is very well equipped for that.

However, when it comes to laser-based weaponry there is a hole. The officers have access to an ablative vest, but no ablative helmet. Suspects utilizing laser based weaponry can exploit this by aiming for the head in order to make the vest less useful. The armor change that i feel is most helpful to security is the simple addition of an ablative helmet as it'll patch the hole in our defence in regards to laser based weaponry.

Edit: You want to add roundstart and latejoin quirks for officers so let me suggest one. The shove intent for officers should be different, in this intent they will not shove, but disarm. If an officer is disarming a suspect with a kitchen knife there is a chance the officer will grab the knife from them or make them drop it. It is similar to the krav maga gloves the warden wears which allows you to do this but i rather make them different. The krav maga gloves allows you to always take the weapon of the suspect whenever you succeed in a disarm but the base quirk for the most part should only make the suspect drop their weapon with a small chance of immediately having the weapon in your hands.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #505358

If you are going to do security buffs do so via gear changes and not via traits. Adding mindshield firing pins to all their weapons would be a huge buff, and adding it to BATONS would be an even bigger one. Giving all security officers a death alarm implant would also be a significant buff to them without making them better overall in combat.

Basically make killing officers blow cover, and make them less of a loot pinata for antagonists.

These two changes would probably do wonders.

Also armor in general is weak as hell, and armor penetration is too common. Consider toning down armor pen, especially in ranged weapons, which already get their own special armor class anyway.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #505359

Non-transferable job locked buffs like this are something we've done a really good job of avoiding over the years, and I hate how they've become more prevalent. The mime was an older one, then the chaplain became important in cult because it's thematic, then the chaplain became important in wizard too because ???, then job locked traitor items which I'll give a pass because at least that keeps some of the more disruptive traitor items out of most rounds.
The most disruptive of these has got to be the chaplain, since his magic immunity just outright cancels everything the wizard can do and is a massive combat advantage which I really hate. It doesn't help that it's not communicated very well, either. Most spells simply fail silently.
Spoiler:
So why the fuck should we double down on this and give not only one guy but an entire department of people massive combat buffs for pretty much every single applicable combat scenario in the entire game??? This is a horrible idea that I think goes against a sort of unspoken design philosophy we've been actively holding to for years (see the bartender's drink sliding book or the warden's krav maga gloves for job specific abilities that are deliberately not job locked). Not to mention how it will make disguising as sec all but impossible, which will make real sec easy to tell apart, which will make it safer to give them all access and unconditional trust in a game that used to be about paranoia.
edit:angry rant supressed
Horrible idea. If you absolutey must go through with it, these abilities need to be communicated very clearly in-game and sec-traitors need to be re-enabled.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #505363

PKPenguin321 wrote:Not to mention how it will make disguising as sec all but impossible, which will make real sec easy to tell apart, which will make it safer to give them all access and unconditional trust in a game that used to be about paranoia.
I agree with you and did not take this into consideration.
I'd like to change my suggestion about the officer's pin ability and disarm ability to instead be tied to their black security gloves, it will then be feasible to masquerade as a sec officer. It'll be odd to have the gloves also provide stam resistance so i suggest tossing that out the window.
John_Gobbel
Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Post by John_Gobbel » #505365

Reading these replies makes me second guess what I've posted and I agree that the buffs in question should probably be transferable via gear.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #505369

Security could use a buff against nonantagonists, but I'd recommend the stun resistance be tied to an implant that can be found in the armory, or their gloves. That way, it's still possible to disguise as security for antagonists. Could make a book called the "Security Training Handbook" to transfer the abilities, and the ability to order more through cargo.

In full support of these two though (as long as they're transferrable):
When they have a cuffed person in a pull grab, they are not subject to any slowdowns
when they have a cuffed person in a pull grab, other people cannot pull that person away from the sec officer without breaking their pull first
Security armor could use a buff as well. There's currently no reason to choose riot gear over the default armor because the slowdown makes the melee resistance pointless. Possibly make riot armor give total immunity from melee attacks and thrown objects under a certain damage, but make it break after a certain amount of damage. The default armor just needs its values raised to the point where it's not made of wet cardboard.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505370

some good comments.

Lots of strawman comments though.

Lets try to stay focused on reality here.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #505371

I don't believe that security officers signing up just for combat advantages and then fucking off is a valid, realistic concern. Security has started with powerful gear such as a baton and taser for years, so logically the same should have happened, but it didn't.
Bring back papercult.

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #505373

Maybe it would be better if these abilities were split between the different parts of the security uniform, something that wouldn't inconvenience a security officer but would require a traitor to make a decision between like say, wearing sec armor for the no shove disarm or a hardsuit, or wear the security gloves for no-slowdown dragging instead of insulated gloves

If you use something like a skill-book or implant, it just becomes extra powercreep for antags to strive for, but this way you require making tradeoffs for it
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505374

BeeSting12 wrote:Transferable
The problem with them being transferable is that these buffs are strong and I do not want them handed out willy nilly to all crew because it's warops for example.
halitosisman wrote:With player cooperation and knowledge, security players can already obtain the advantages you're proposing to give them.
The usual argument goes that player cooperation does not exist because most players are only focused on obtaining those advantages for themself to valid hunt, therefore this approach instead.
kryson wrote:Can't we just give them better equipment?
Dr_bee wrote:If you are going to do security buffs do so via gear changes and not via traits.
No, because the goal here is to make them better against greytiders, without making them loot pinatas even more than they already are.
Deedubya wrote:If you want to be able to give it to deputies but still have it somewhat balanced, make it an item you can dispense from one of the security vendors for 5k or 10k credits. If security wants to recruit deputies, they'll either have to deal with the fact that they're shittier than a regular officer, or cut into their department budget to get more competent officers.
This is an interesting idea, but does anyone know how much a security department can earn in a round? I dont', so I can't feasibly balance around it, and im not comfortable that economy is in a settled state.
The Respected Man wrote:I may be a sec main but you must understand that the fun i see in security is that it's difficult, risky
Yes, but I don't agree that it should be risky for a security officer to make an arrest against a greytider with his three friends. Antags have plenty more options than just stamina based stuns to deal with security officers, so I don't think this will adjust that balance markedly.
pkpenguin wrote:massive combat buffs for pretty much every single applicable combat scenario in the entire game???
The game is moving away from stuncombat, has been for some time, this is rediculous straw, the only reason I haven't deleted your entire comment is that parts of it are useful
pkpenguin wrote:Non-transferable job locked buffs like this are something we've done a really good job of avoiding over the years, and I hate how they've become more prevalent.
Yes, it's not as ideal as I would like, but the reality is that there's no other ways to make security effective against greytiders without also turning them into loot pinatas if they do get overpowered. There's no difference between this trait and a special mindlocked implant that only affects that user, and if you really care about the gameness of it, than I can add it that way instead.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #505376

oranges wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:If you are going to do security buffs do so via gear changes and not via traits.
No, because the goal here is to make them better against greytiders, without making them loot pinatas even more than they already are.
If you read my actual suggestion it was gear that made them less of a loot pinata. Death alarms and mindshield firing pins.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505379

none of those items confer the buffs that make security good against greytiders
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #505380

Possibly make it transferable from an officer, dead or alive, but only have as many "combat learning" items as there are officers and somehow keep it on the officer until he wants to willingly transfer it or it's forcibly taken through a somewhat difficult process. (That way, the one doing it has to have decent planning to disguise as an officer). An implant is a good one but there's no way to transfer implants without help from others, which wouldn't work for a solo antag.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #505381

oranges wrote:none of those items confer the buffs that make security good against greytiders
They do make it less attractive to fight them however, as you no longer can push an officer against a wall and get a free tiding tool. If you added things like GPS tackers to sec gear it would also make finding tiders who steal sec gear to be a dick easier.

most of the issue I have VS tiders is them pushing me against a wall or table and stealing my gear as I attempt to arrest someone anyway.

Instead of direct combat buffs for officers make the incentive for screwing with them less appealing.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505382

I don't think most of them are doing it for the tiding tools personally, I think the vast majority are doing it because they can, and they know that security officers will struggle to deal with them if they're already trying to detain someone else.

However at the same time, it's still yet another bonus for fucking with sec officers.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #505383

oranges wrote:I don't think most of them are doing it for the tiding tools personally, I think the vast majority are doing it because they can, and they know that security officers will struggle to deal with them if they're already trying to detain someone else.

However at the same time, it's still yet another bonus for fucking with sec officers.
The loyalty implant is also a good thing to work around. If you make any gear that buffs sec officers, give it an implant check. For example you could give them toned down CQC or krav maga gloves with an implant check. You will find traitors with them, but they would need to obtain an implant from cargo or the brig first, which gives a transferable sec buff that isnt inherent to rolling sec.
GuyonBroadway
Byond Username: GuyonBroadway

Post by GuyonBroadway » #505387

Now I thought about this and if yer gonna add intrinsic traits why stop at security?

Why not add some kind of basic skills system that the whole game can benefit from?

Like legit this could be an interesting way to make characters unique, like how in DnD you might build and act a character along a particular path, although not to the degree of DnD.

Notice how the chaplain usually roleplays more than most, just having SOMETHING to play around can put people in the right mindset.

Lets take another example, the detective doesn't get the punching and cuffing stuff by default but what if he was able to do some hard boiled combat dive! Jump a couple tiles going prone instantly and ducking behind a table! Revolver out, shootout time in the bar!

What if bartenders were immune to much of the negative effects of alcohol, sure they get drunk but no toxin damage or liver death so chugging them healing drinks is a good idea.

Heck why not make gym equipment play into this? Getting buff as fuck could make your punches a little stronger or take less stamina damage or run just a little faster? Before you know it the chaplain has started the cult of gains, the bartender is now legally not allowed to be consumed by children and the detective just backflipped over the chemistry desk to dodge a man with a lightsaber.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #505388

oranges wrote:
pkpenguin wrote:massive combat buffs for pretty much every single applicable combat scenario in the entire game???
The game is moving away from stuncombat, has been for some time, this is rediculous straw, the only reason I haven't deleted your entire comment is that parts of it are useful
You specifically outlined that they would take 50% less STAMINA damage in your OP in addition to stuns. I never even specified stuns in my post. What on earth are you talking about?
Also, my post was in good faith. Just because I'm offering legitimate criticism to your suggestion (and I said "fuck" once) doesn't mean I'm "angry ranting," and I'm kind of offended that that's the angle you're trying to take. It feels like you're trying to spin me as an angry lunatic to dodge my criticism, frankly. If that's not what you're trying to do, I apologize, but it comes off that way.
oranges wrote:
pkpenguin wrote:Non-transferable job locked buffs like this are something we've done a really good job of avoiding over the years, and I hate how they've become more prevalent.
Yes, it's not as ideal as I would like, but the reality is that there's no other ways to make security effective against greytiders without also turning them into loot pinatas if they do get overpowered. There's no difference between this trait and a special mindlocked implant that only affects that user, and if you really care about the gameness of it, than I can add it that way instead.
I indeed do care a lot about the "gameness" of it, and would strongly prefer that. And again, regardless of all other aspects: Unless you make sure that these abilities are communicated very clearly in-game (such as a message or an on-mob animation when an officer resists stamina damage), it will never be acceptable.
Spoiler:
Sanator
Byond Username: Sanator

Post by Sanator » #505389

I think those changes would be very solid, considering most of sec is seen as loot piñatas (as discussed here) rather than a threat to greytiders. Security is already one of (if not the most) stressful jobs on the station and in desperate need of a buff against greytiders.

Considering the (awful) security vest: what if it made the wearer more resistant to shoves?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505390

PKPenguin321 wrote:
oranges wrote:
You specifically outlined that they would take 50% less STAMINA damage in your OP in addition to stuns. I never even specified stuns in my post. What on earth are you talking about?
Also, my post was in good faith. Just because I'm offering legitimate criticism to your suggestion (and I said "fuck" once) doesn't mean I'm "angry ranting," and I'm kind of offended that that's the angle you're trying to take. It feels like you're trying to spin me as an angry lunatic to dodge my criticism, frankly. If that's not what you're trying to do, I apologize, but it comes off that way.
oranges wrote:
I indeed do care a lot about the "gameness" of it, and would strongly prefer that. And again, regardless of all other aspects: Unless you make sure that these abilities are communicated very clearly in-game (such as a message or an on-mob animation when an officer resists stamina damage), it will never be acceptable.
If you continue your negative approach, you are going to be put on post approval.

You can criticise an idea without coming off like an angry boomer

This is your only warning
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #505391

Maybe give sec officers special interactions with using handcuffs on a wounded/stam-wounded person gives you an automatic aggressive grab or something, so the officer can go for fisticuffs to weaken someone up before moving in for the actual arrest. You could also let them choose between punching primarily for stam damage vs punching for harm so they're not just running around beating people to death.

This would give officers a stamina based arrest method that gives them a boost over other unarmed crew that can't be stolen, while not affecting their balance against hard targets like cultists or nugies
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #505395

Now, the important question is: do lings get the ability from absorbing seccies?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #505396

PKPenguin321 wrote:I indeed do care a lot about the "gameness" of it, and would strongly prefer that. And again, regardless of all other aspects: Unless you make sure that these abilities are communicated very clearly in-game (such as a message or an on-mob animation when an officer resists stamina damage), it will never be acceptable.
You're talking about every time someone attacks a sec officer to have a message like "[officer] shrugs off some of the effects of [whatever]." right? That seems kind of spammy and maybe better accomplished through a hint and player-to-player word of mouth.

EDIT: Unless you had another idea, ideally involving the onscreen mobs that the attacker is definitely looking at.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Ty the Smonk
Byond Username: Ty the Smonk

Post by Ty the Smonk » #505397

Honestly I like most of the buffs, but I would only want this if stun batons got changed to stamina damage. Also I think that if we are going to buff the fuck out of sec then there should be a security trainee role where they don't get their buffs and have to play for like 5 hours or so of it to become a actual sec officer.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #505402

MisterPerson wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:I indeed do care a lot about the "gameness" of it, and would strongly prefer that. And again, regardless of all other aspects: Unless you make sure that these abilities are communicated very clearly in-game (such as a message or an on-mob animation when an officer resists stamina damage), it will never be acceptable.
You're talking about every time someone attacks a sec officer to have a message like "[officer] shrugs off some of the effects of [whatever]." right? That seems kind of spammy and maybe better accomplished through a hint and player-to-player word of mouth.

EDIT: Unless you had another idea, ideally involving the onscreen mobs that the attacker is definitely looking at.
That, or as I said in the text you quoted, something like an on-mob animation (like them pulsing blue for a half second or something?). Player feedback is absolutely vital for this. A message on a cooldown might even be good. Even just a regular message would probably be okay, considering you only hit people with stamina damage maybe a couple of times per fight compared to how many times you attack them.
Spoiler:
Nodewire
Byond Username: Nodewire

Post by Nodewire » #505408

Seconding the whole "only apply these buffs with the baton change" opinion, however if those will not implemented then some changes should be made with this idea. I do think some security buffs should be welcome as sec doesn't actually have as much impact on the round and it's antags as it should. Mostly with how easily they can be tided. With this in mind, these proposed changes should still be toned down a tad.

Stamina resist should be about 30% to still give them a fighting chance without being too spongy. Grabbing a cuffed person should probably still give slowdown, just reduced for a tiny bit of 'muh realism''s sake and to allow for some interaction. Lowered stun times, stronger stam punches, and having to break an officers grab to pull cuffed people away are all good ideas in my eyes.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505412

30% seems too low to be noticeable in terms of impact, that's on the order of 1-2 shots at most given how the current stam scaling all works.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505413

PKPenguin321 wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:

That, or as I said in the text you quoted, something like an on-mob animation (like them pulsing blue for a half second or something?). Player feedback is absolutely vital for this. A message on a cooldown might even be good. Even just a regular message would probably be okay, considering you only hit people with stamina damage maybe a couple of times per fight compared to how many times you attack them.
this is no different to stims or other implants that antags already have that give zero user feedback

I don't agree that's its "absolutely vital", but it would be nice to have.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #505414

I was a bit sleepy when I wrote my idea earlier, so let me expand on it a little and perhaps make it a bit easier to implement as well: Make the item that grants you the security buffs basically function like a martial arts scroll, and have every security officer spawn with it in their backpack. Call it the "Nanotrasen Combat Training Manual" or something to that effect. I'm not at all familiar with the underlying code, but this may be easier to implement than forcing the state on all roundstart/latejoin security officers. As well, have a limited number of them be purchasable at high cost in one of the security vendors. None of the security vendors are accessible by anyone that doesn't have proper security access, so a tator head with a budget card can't just nab one with their brig access without trespassing.
This is an interesting idea, but does anyone know how much a security department can earn in a round? I dont', so I can't feasibly balance around it, and im not comfortable that economy is in a settled state.
Unfortunately, I've almost never played HOS since we shifted from coins to credits and departmental budgets, so I can't actually provide data for that. If their budget increases at the same rate as other departments(sans cargo) however, I believe that security having somewhere in the realm of 20k-30k credits on the budget an hour in would be considered normal.

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
crashmatusow
Byond Username: Crashmatusow

Post by crashmatusow » #505417

Why not tie it to Loyalty implants? Seems like a very corporate security thing to do.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #505418

Im trying to limit distribution so that HoS or Warden doesn't just hand them out like candy to everyone.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #505419

oranges wrote:Im trying to limit distribution so that HoS or Warden doesn't just hand them out like candy to everyone.
Short of a station wide emergency, 95% of HOS/Warden players I see don't even hand out restricted shit to their own security officers, let alone Johnny Greytide or anyone else willy-nilly. Not that I'm saying these should be roundstart items just laying in the armory, mind you. There's a reason I proposed hiding it behind something that scales with how long the round has lasted.

Spoiler:
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #505422

I might be a biased sec main, but sec buffs really excite me. I think in the process of moving away from stun based combat has kind of negatively impacted security and made them worse then they used to be, more so than the antags. I think as we move away from stun based combat thats only going to be MORE prevalent.

If you want a way to transfer it but not make it so everyone gets it, this could be done through an implant that sec starts with. There would only be 3 or 4 spare of these implants in the armory and more could be ordered from cargo for a significant price (so that people don't choose to order these instead of guns vs nukies)
py01
Byond Username: Py01

Post by py01 » #505423

If security becomes extremely disarm resistant, you'll probably see a sharp rise in body throwing, assistants building glass tables in the halls, and water puddles for the disarm/stun chance. Those do require more effort/skill to pull of than the typical disarm, but assistant mains will still likely run circles over your average security.

Also, a lot more improvised weapons are going to get made. Currently the only one that is quick to make and can reasonably duel an officer is the stunprod, you probably won't see most of the others getting made because they're not useful against someone who has hard stuns.
bigfatbananacyclops
Byond Username: Bigfatbananacyclops

Post by bigfatbananacyclops » #505424

i quite honestly think they should just get a second category of advanced nonlethal gear, and so it doesnt get abused roundstart, there should be an activation to access it.

Officers are not gonna be able to stop an entire army of cultists always using disablers or the new batons, it encourages the use of more lethals.

The cat 2 could contain tranq darts which contains sleepy chems to sleep the target, a riot SMG maybe even as well. They could get gas sleep grenades or more teargas, teargas is actually useful when cultists are gathered up somewhere, they usually have masks but it blinds and affects some, but right now its impossible due to their numbers, the best option is to go lethal, i think going lethal should come in the point where they are too strong and they need to be put down in a fast way, but if we add a second category of nonlethal gear i think it could improve security into becoming more tactical to be honest.

Teamwork as well, its usually never seen but i think it can be encouraged, back when i used to play shadowlings, it was very important to never go alone, you could get catched alone by the slings with their glare, but if you went with a partner that would never happen, they would help you out and drag you away, however i never tried tg's slings so i dont know how unbalanced it was here, but it was super nice to play against them, especially in big maints.

i think there's many options for this one.
Last edited by bigfatbananacyclops on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #505425

oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:

this is no different to stims or other implants that antags already have that give zero user feedback

I don't agree that's its "absolutely vital", but it would be nice to have.
I never said those were good either, but I'm glad you agree
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #505438

Security doesn't need a buff.

Antags need a nerf.
► Show Spoiler