Make Sybil-2 A heavy roleplay server

Turn Sybil-2 into a heavy roleplay server?

Yes. I strongly support this idea and believe sybil-2 should be a heavy role-play server
56%
No. I dont believe Sybil-2 should be turned into a Heavy role-play server.
44%

Total votes: 39

Astriker
Byond Username: Astriker

Make Sybil-2 A heavy roleplay server

Post by Astriker » #506956

Hello /tg/ players! I have an idea that would give variety to servers that run on the /tg/ codebase. I believe that the unused server, Sybil-2 should be turned into a heavy role-play server. The reason that I think this should happen is because the current meta on TG is no roleplay. And adding the variety of a heavy roleplay server would allow the people that enjoy heavy roleplay and the TG codebase to finally have the 2 combined in an amazing server. I think this suggestion should be considered because the Sybil-2 server is unused. If this ends up happening. there would need to be a new ruleset for the new server. some ideas for the new rules:
  • -No greytiding :igloves:
    -Restricted knowledge of things your character usually wouldn't know about(think about a real life setting). where whatever job you play will almost have the knowledge of the occupation(knowledge of other occupations could be learned by having someone who knows it teach you). EX: out of character you may know how to hack a door. but as a medical doctor you wouldn't know that. unless you read a book about it (like the ones found in maint)
    -Metashield, items that your character usually wouldent know about arent known by your character
Some examples of roleplay behavior that happen on normal /tg/ but wouldent be on a heavy roleplay server.
  • -No value for life. Examples: suiciding for no reason. going out into space to retrieve the insulated gloves the security threw out.
    -Omnipotence. knowing everything about anything in the game. a chemist shouldn't know how to set up a Tesla engine and hack doors. This opens up an opportunity for textbooks to be useful
    -Mary sues. Characters with no flaws. on /tg/ no characters have flaws.
    -Unlimited pain tolerance. torture is an unreliable method because /tg/ characters don't feel pain. in a role-play setting your character should feel pain. As well as surgery without anesthetic.
    -Insta recovery. just got shot in the face 5 times then sucked into space? you get a defib and 3 brute patches. and you walk off like nothing happened. this is obviously not very good role play behavior. med bay has a recovery room for a reason.
    -No Fear. this goes along with unlimited pain tolerance. people should fear pain. a security threatening you at gunpoint dosent mean you should run away
    -Not needing to be comfortable. walking around in a gas-mask and fire-suit isn't comfortable. no reasonable spaceman would run around with a fire-suit and gas-mask on. same with hard-suits and space suits.
    -Hygiene not being a needed thing. got blood all over yourself from murdering that assistant? you should have to clean it off.
The /tg/code-base has so much potential for role-play. everything is in there for it. its just not used.
Kolinko
Byond Username: LMoore

Re: Make Sybil-2 A heavy roleplay server

Post by Kolinko » #506959

I agree, I like roleplay and I like the tg codebase.

Sybil-2 as a roleplay server should also gets its own standalone name.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #506965

what does heavy roleplay mean

are you gonna add fat sprites back in to sybil 2 and we gotta play the role of a FAT FUCK?
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #506966

I'd certainly play on it
i like this because even if only around 15 people decide to play on it, that's certainly good enough for high rp
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #507179

This isn't a codebase development idea, it's a server-related idea. I'm gonna move this to policy discussion where it belongs.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #507191

fuck HRP

MRP would be nice though
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #507195

Ok but for the whole hygiene/blood thing, sometimes being bloody is part of a gimmick (serial killer or some shit). Getting bombed by an annoying sprite kinda ruins that.
[this space reserved]
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #507199

wesoda25 wrote:Ok but for the whole hygiene/blood thing, sometimes being bloody is part of a gimmick (serial killer or some shit). Getting bombed by an annoying sprite kinda ruins that.
don't you think serial killers get stinky after so much murderizing?
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #507200

creating a roleplay server implies we shouldn't roleplay on the other ones.
we have a roleplay server already, it's called baystation.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #507203

No, but does anyone remember TLE's Sigyn? It was basically an anything goes server where players had to fend for themselves without admin intervention (though TLE oversaw things to weed out people who were being too disruptive). You could do what you wanted and everything was punished IC. Beardbeard as captain executed a cargo tech for ordering a crate because he was saving up for a hat crate. Some officer arrested me and threw me in the permabrig for no reason. This makes it sound like a terrible idea, but I think it's actually a fun idea. Better than HRP anyway.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #507245

This would also require a whole new rule set for one server, separate headmin policies and probably dedicated admins which was excusable for TGMC but I am not sure you can do that for a HRP server.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #507250

stock tgcode wouldn't work with heavy roleplay
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #507290

What if we instead make it into an events server since we currently don't really have one that isn't used
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #507400

cacogen wrote:No, but does anyone remember TLE's Sigyn? It was basically an anything goes server where players had to fend for themselves without admin intervention (though TLE oversaw things to weed out people who were being too disruptive). You could do what you wanted and everything was punished IC. Beardbeard as captain executed a cargo tech for ordering a crate because he was saving up for a hat crate. Some officer arrested me and threw me in the permabrig for no reason. This makes it sound like a terrible idea, but I think it's actually a fun idea. Better than HRP anyway.
I think lifeweb does that. But they have more mechanics for punishing players icly, like i think the head of church or something can designate someone for murder (don’t quote me i dont play). Its a cool idea.
[this space reserved]
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #507416

Better plan:
  • - Make Bagil a low RP server
    - Encourage med RP on all other servers
► Show Spoiler
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #507417

Farquaar wrote:Make Bagil a low RP server
done
Encourage med RP on all other servers
probably won't happen
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #507426

Farquaar wrote:Better plan:
  • - Make Bagil a low RP server
    - Encourage med RP on all other servers
Lmao all our servers are low rp, including sybil.
[this space reserved]
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #507429

it will never happen, go to another codebase if you want HRP, they are better setup in pretty much every single aspect for it. we're setup as a sperg containment chamber
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #507443

Go play on another server for HRP. The logistics of this is basically managing an whole new community. New admins, because not all of the current admins would be willing to moderate a HRP server. The ridiculous amount of rules and policies would require a new board for it. The codebase isn’t even designed for this. Not something that i can see happening in the foreseeable future, or ever.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #507550

BeeSting12 wrote:Go play on another server for HRP. The logistics of this is basically managing an whole new community. New admins, because not all of the current admins would be willing to moderate a HRP server. The ridiculous amount of rules and policies would require a new board for it. The codebase isn’t even designed for this. Not something that i can see happening in the foreseeable future, or ever.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #507564

Iunno, could be fun. I wouldn't mind adminning it.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #507582

Aren't some coders trying to move us towards MRP? What if we only applied the MRP PRs to a single server, so that the LRP servers can serve as a "containment zone" for us filthy greytiders? That way, you wouldn't need to make PRs specifically designed to piss us LRPers off enough to make us leave.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #507584

Trying to move the server to MRP with code when the rules aren't MRP is basically trying to code rules.

Those coders are going to get their self-esteem lowered real quick with all the hate going there way.

It's a silly idea to me. And everyone realizes it, they just rationalize it in a different way.
► Show Spoiler
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #507647

As a person that had moderated a baycode HRP server for a few years, this is not something you would ever want to moderate.
The sheer level of rules that have to be enforced, not to mention the roleplaying standards that would continuously need to be checked with a focus on real-time observation is more than I could ever expect from any admin that has administrated a No/Low Roleplaying Server for as long as they have on here. The work in dealing with players increases almost tenfold, as does log diving for any investigation reading a breach of rules or roleplaying standards.

If we were to make any of the servers have a higher roleplaying standard, you would have to slowly ramp the standards up to acclimate the existing playerbase to the change.
This sort of dripfeed method ensures that you steadily build a population on said server that is willing to accept higher and higher standards of roleplay, while having the freedom to choose other servers on TG with less restrictions. Also, via my recommendation, I suggest having a MRP server more than HRP. MRP allows for a bit of lax enforcing on things like hacking doors, or attacking antagonists back, but still keeps the standards of metashielding and the like in place (see servers like how OracleStation was for things like this). The workload doesn't increase too much with MRP from the current workload because there aren't actually all that many more standards that would need enforced to move our current style of play up to it.

TL;DR HRP is a bad idea for both the playerbase and administration, MRP is a good middle ground between our current playstyle and desired(?) playstyle.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #507656

All in all. It'd be the choice of the headmins. Not the maintainers.

Don't code rules and don't use rules to change code.
► Show Spoiler
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #507712

MRP is the highest we should go. And this is coming from a roleplayer. Why? Its in the culture and in the game to be a bunch of autistic lunatics in space. That's what SS13 IS. It'd be out of character and not in the spirit if the game to rein that in too much.
Edit: actually I want to add something to my thoughts here.
Consider what the in universe culture would be like for an insane corporatocracy with little to no consequence from death. Danger at every turn and death not being the end.
To our safe little lives and minds these people would be completely fucking insane compared to our sensibilities. We should have some semblance of "this isn't a game this is real life" in our IC interactions... But life seeming like a game when someone drags your corpse, copies your mind into a freshly cloned body then hands you your shit and shoves you back out with the expectation that you go back to whatever you were doing, it sure as shit would feel like one.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
J Moldy
Byond Username: J Moldy

Post by J Moldy » #508040

I'd be interested in it.

I'd definitely be willing to admin it. It's just that this is going to have to require a somewhat different mindset while doing it. I've been pretty cool with, and adminned on high, medium, low, and no-RP servers and what's most striking is that the thing that most people don't really like about HRP is often less the ruleset than it is the players on higher RP settings tending to be very thin-skinned about what they think should happen to them, that there's some correlation between "roleplay enforcement" and "fairness". There doesn't need to be. TGstation tends towards breeding and attracting players who're a lot tougher and more willing to ride things out than most, who really do understand that the game isn't going to treat them fairly, and I'd like to see what "heavy roleplay" for them looks like.
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #508090

combining some of the ideas here of "easing" people into it while testing the waters and seeing what, exactly, the denizens of tgstation consider "MRP", maybe have MRP days on certain servers.

Like every saturday is MRP day on sybil-2 or something like that, where MRP is encouraged but not necessarily enforced outside of normal tgpolicy except for perhaps a more liberal application of rule 1/0.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #508199

ATHATH wrote:Aren't some coders trying to move us towards MRP?
lol'd
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #508202

This isn't MRP though

it's borderline no rp
► Show Spoiler