Cooldown on ghost role respawns to combat metainfo

A place to record your ideas for the game.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Cooldown on ghost role respawns to combat metainfo

Post by skoglol » #508295

This is something I have been thinking about for a while now. With any ghost role that has respawns, there is a lot of people using metainfo from previous lives in their new lives. It is often pretty blatant, but not something most people would ahelp due to proof being hard, or just not being aware of what happens.

Example 1: Xenobiology spreads spiders. You manage to fight off a spider in <remote location>. A moment later, a single new spider appears. Rinse and repeat until you die, since spiders can effectively have unlimited respawns.

Example 2: You crit an ash lizard outside their nest. It goes catatonic, and a new basic geared ash lizard appears to fight you. Rinse and repeat until out of eggs.

A cooldown of maybe 3-5 minutes between respawns as (the same) ghost roles would make abusing them for anything useful harder, as well as make the respawning roles value their lives somewhat more. Spiders can today just keep throwing themselves at death until something sticks without any regard for their life.

Thoughts? Better ideas?
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Re: Cooldown on ghost role respawns to combat metainfo

Post by Arathian » #508299

Once there are enough spiders where the same player can fling himself at you specifically over and over again over multiple lives, you are dead regardless of any metagaming.

Things like eggs or "empty" spiders or golem shells etc etc are there to represent potential. Their balance is what was required to create them. Because there are not unlimited players, you had 5 spiders come to you 1 by 1 instead of 5 spiders chasing you at the same time. The spiders always were there however, so the "potential' for them to chomp you down always existed. It's not like the ghost created the spider or the ashlizard egg.
Iron, blood and spider armies
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #508301

Arathian wrote:Once there are enough spiders where the same player can fling himself at you specifically over and over again over multiple lives, you are dead regardless of any metagaming.

Things like eggs or "empty" spiders or golem shells etc etc are there to represent potential. Their balance is what was required to create them. Because there are not unlimited players, you had 5 spiders come to you 1 by 1 instead of 5 spiders chasing you at the same time. The spiders always were there however, so the "potential' for them to chomp you down always existed. It's not like the ghost created the spider or the ashlizard egg.
You're missing the point of the OP. It has nothing to do with the ability to spam ghost roles, it has everything to do with people using info from ghost/a previous life in their new body.

That being said, it's already against the rules to do so. I'm not opposed to putting in something like a 5 minute cooldown after ghosting before you can inhabit a ghost role(specifically, so you aren't prevented from reentering your body), I'd prefer just more enforcement of metagaming with a ghost role.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #508303

5 minutes is a ton of time and severe overkill. That's above 10% of the total of an average round time.

If the goal is to prevent metagaming and people that keep flinging themselves at the same person, a more appropriate cooldown would be 30 seconds or so.

But really, if you can't deal with 2-3 single file ashliggers as a fully equipped miner, maybe fuck off back to killing mobs. They are literal spear chuckers and you start with a gamer gun.
Iron, blood and spider armies
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #508313

It's not about what you as a player can deal with, it's how the code allows for people to abuse it. We can enforce it administratively all we want, but noones got time to look up what spider (673), spider (94), spider (123), spider (424), spider (465) all controlled by the same person did or did not do in any given round. If you got four of those people, well, do you see the problem with laying this on admins yet?

To clarify, I am suggesting a cooldown between for example two spider lives, not between your human life and a ghost role.

As for spider balance, thats not really the main topic here. I am sure we will be discussing that in a topic/PR soon enough though.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #508418

Could be a scaling penalty where the first time you die is like 30 seconds, second time is a minute, third time is 2 minutes, and each time after that is 5. Or whatever.

The idea is if you just die once or twice over 40 minutes, it's not too bad, but if you keep throwing yourself into danger and die right away, you get punished.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #508565

I wonder how hard it'd be to detect and automatically alert admins if a mob controlled by a particular key kills or is killed by something with the same key as something that previously killed or was killed by them within the same round

so like, X kills Y
Y becomes ghost role
shortly afterwards Y kills X, system flags this up as something that might be worth paying attention to
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #521981

Should be a scaling net cooldown on all ghost roles plus you can only go as a type of ghost role once. Say I go golem and die. I can't pick golem again that round, and have a 5 minute cooldown until I can pick another ghost role. Then I go ash lizard and die. Now its 10 minutes and I can't play golems or ash lizards anymore. etc
[this space reserved]
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #522158

wesoda25 wrote:Should be a scaling net cooldown on all ghost roles plus you can only go as a type of ghost role once. Say I go golem and die. I can't pick golem again that round, and have a 5 minute cooldown until I can pick another ghost role. Then I go ash lizard and die. Now its 10 minutes and I can't play golems or ash lizards anymore. etc
This would essentially destroy spiders and ash lizards.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #522159

i feel like this would have to be done on a per antag/role basis

imo it makes perfect sense for things like swarmers to have no cooldown between dying and jumping in another body
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #522352

Screemonster wrote:I wonder how hard it'd be to detect and automatically alert admins if a mob controlled by a particular key kills or is killed by something with the same key as something that previously killed or was killed by them within the same round

so like, X kills Y
Y becomes ghost role
shortly afterwards Y kills X, system flags this up as something that might be worth paying attention to
Now that is a good idea instead of a cooldown being forced.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #522755

should just be a scaling penalty, as some roles make sense to simulate waves/reinforcements/etc.

If you're going to enforce NLR you need to also have a time when players can come back. Can a player return to their death location 1 minute after? 5? 10? ever?

Where do you draw that line?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #522764

NLR wouldn't work on tg, also just a pain to enforce. Preventing people from going back by preventing them from taking a new body immediately is a simpler solution.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #522777

Doesn't this code already exist in Whoneedsspacee's infestation game mode?
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #522779

what's that :smirk:
vkalls
Byond Username: Vincent Kallstrom

Post by vkalls » #576158

I like a cooldown of seven minutes, especially for spiders. It combats metainfo (somewhat) while still having players able to join back in to the round. It will obviously have to be adjusted for other spawns. I think carp portal, if it needs any changing, should be maybe two or three minutes.
Also, would this time start from the time of you taking the spawn, or dying?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #576163

this destroys many mob based antags on low pop.

Especially something like space dragon where often the carp end up being run by one person.

I'd much prefer a logging solution rather than punishing all players for a few bad actors.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #576167

7 minutes is a really long time.
I think maybe 1 or 2 minutes is more reasonable. That's enough time that things will change up enough that previous life info will have mostly the same significance that it would have after 5+ minutes.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #576169

We can see how many players are connected ghosts, and apply cooldowns based on that for certain events. Some might not need this too, like space dragon carp that are essentially tasked with protecting an area.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #576209

This is awful - if there's a huge spider nest going and 5 ghosts, let's say 4 want to play spider.

All 4 spiders die because individual spiders are pathetic and easily murked.

Great you just killed all the spiders for the next X minutes regardless of the amount of spiders the nest can/should spawn. Now you can just burn down the nest and the spiders are gone forever.

These respawning ghost roles are usually balanced around being dogshit and only being able to achieve victory through numbers.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #576261

no
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #576301

I dont think anyone is considering a 1size fits all for literally every ghost role. Like I said earlier, some roles make more sense to simulate swarming/waves/reinforcements/etc. Their times or power would need to be adjusted for this.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #576311

Ash lizards already have a mechanic where they need to sac corpses in order to respawn (not just to make new eggs; you can't ENTER those eggs unless you've proc'd an RNG chance from sac'ing a corpse, and you can only hold one "charge" of egg-possession at a time).

7 minutes would be an absolutely cancerous respawn timer for ANY ghost role. The timer for awakening after headslugging someone and the 3 minute timer for respawning as a lich are both already agonizingly slow; something that'd take even LONGER than that would be awful.
Learner
Byond Username: Learner

Post by Learner » #576813

Agreed. Adding respawn timers is going to do jack shit to solve the issue of combating metainfo because apparently, everyone's forgotten the one thing in common with all of these ghost roles... they become free-floating, teleporting x-ray vision ghosts who can hear all when they die!

We're operating on a 'faith and trust' system that you won't be naughty with the stuff you've learned. We all often tend to use this info to some extent now and again... noticing your backpack was removed and left somewhere, looking at what's around in Lavaland before you take up a role, looking around the station only to notice burning holes into space and avoiding them once alive... frankly, the proper solution then, is to look at how much of this meta info can be used and abused by ghost role respawns, and make adjustments to those directions.

For spiders, it's often as simple as 'locate place with people, break or find path to people, attack people, die, repeat from step 3 until no more people'. Maybe adjusting how easily they can get to people will make a big difference to wear down meta info. If spiders couldn't break doors down, then to make the meta info dated and thus useless simply requires one to get into a door. It won't do much though to stop a freshly killed spider from remembering where a badly wounded, downed, or dead person is though, regardless of how long we make them wait. It just opens up a larger time-frame that something else gets to them.

And as for ashies who aren't so much a swarm intensive mob like spiders are, we've already got the system in place which cuts down their respawns.

As for Xenos... xenos aren't a swarm intensive mob, but they're also dependent on having units to maintain their very lofty perch on the station threat level chart. Of course, on this matter, their issue is something else entirely, but that's unrelated to the metainfo issue.

And I don't remember what state swarmers are in now.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #576816

Upon reflection and thinking about this further

I still hate it don't do it
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman