Syndicate Lavaland Comms Base Flavor And RP Nuances

The_Silver_Nuke
Byond Username: The_Silver_Nuke

Syndicate Lavaland Comms Base Flavor And RP Nuances

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #509359

So this is relevant to a round I had recently, where a miner snuck up to the base and used an rcd to steal the Syndicate hardsuit and a headset. So the problem I have with this type of situation, is that the agents on the ground are not allowed to pursue the aggressor, nor retrieve the stolen items if it means they have to go up to the station to do so. Now in a normal situation I completely understand, however the ghost role rules state, "Follow the flavour text you receive upon spawning to the best of your abilities. Unlike the rest of the rules, these roles are very much defined and guided by roleplay rather than a system of "valid" or "not valid."

So basically this can be interpreted for the lavaland operatives in particular as, "You are a Syndicate agent tasked to defending a comms base. Do not allow for the theft of any equipment or personnel." And lavaland ghost roles are meant to add flavor to any given round. So for example if an item is stolen from the comms base, an agent should be allowed to retrieve it and return it to its rightful place, as long as it doesn't result in murderboning. Allowing for an agent to pursue the thief and retrieve the item is a lot like any given admin spawned event, however the situation is entirely player driven.

I believe that the rules should be adjusted on this note to allow for increased RP and flavor to the interaction between lavaland and the station.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Syndicate Lavaland Comms Base Flavor And RP Nuances

Post by Cobby » #509375

The passive-aggressive syndicate shouldn't go balls deep into the station over a headset and hardsuit.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #509409

Well to be honest the syndicate is hardly passive, but what matters is that they aren't allowed to reciprocate hostile actions taken against them, regardless of what was stolen. That is sort of the point I'd like to try to emphasize.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #509413

One time miners raided and killed some of us, so admins gave us permission to launch an attack on the station. We ended up taking over cargo and making demands and shit, it was fun. The moral of the story is rule 11, if it adds to the round and has interesting roleplay (and it doesn't help to have admin permission), admins probably won't get upset. Probably.
[this space reserved]
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #509416

The_Silver_Nuke wrote:Well to be honest the syndicate is hardly passive, but what matters is that they aren't allowed to reciprocate hostile actions taken against them, regardless of what was stolen. That is sort of the point I'd like to try to emphasize.
I mean, if they run off back to the station with some of your stuff and it's clear you've been found out it might be MORE in character to self destruct the facility to avoid further loss of syndicate equipment. You aren't equipped to handle the station, you're just there to monitor it and the weapons you have are to deal with intruders. It might be fun to ahelp when that kind of situation occurs though as some cool admin might actually give you the go-ahead to invade. Otherwise it's not a good idea to break the flavor-text for free antag. Ghost roles aren't really meant to be a huge impact on the round.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #509417

wesoda25 wrote:One time miners raided and killed some of us, so admins gave us permission to launch an attack on the station. We ended up taking over cargo and making demands and shit, it was fun. The moral of the story is rule 11, if it adds to the round and has interesting roleplay (and it doesn't help to have admin permission), admins probably won't get upset. Probably.
See that's a lot of the stuff I like to see, creative and fun additions to the round. I feel that if the player in question is responsible and knows what to and what not to do, then it should be okay. So like, a ghost role shouldn't be allowed to run up to the station and murderbone, but stuff that spices up the shift beyond just shouting mean things over comms would be awesome.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #509425

problem is its not really possible to make a rule since bad faith actors will just interpret it in the worse way possible. really just ahelp before hand
[this space reserved]
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #509429

The broad intent of the lavaland base is to give people a place they can play with potentially harmful toys (virology, chemistry, etc) without copping a ban because they release deathfoam all over the station, with a minor secondary of being a hazard for miners if they should stick their hand in the hornet's nest trying to get ~loot~

As others have stated, an admin may very well approve you going on a raid in that kind of situation, but it would be counterproductive to try and write it into the rules. At root the point of the base is not to get into a war with the station, even if they do interact with you. Kill miners who get up in your beef, kill the hypothetical-but-I've-never-seen-it station security force that comes to raid you because you killed a miner, but in general stay in the base.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #510229

The_Silver_Nuke wrote:Well to be honest the syndicate is hardly passive, but what matters is that they aren't allowed to reciprocate hostile actions taken against them, regardless of what was stolen. That is sort of the point I'd like to try to emphasize.
The stealthy syndicate base meant to eavesdrop and sow discontent is most certainly passive in terms of ACTUAL confrontation (you're right in that they're certainly not passive when it comes ot trashtalking comms lol)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #512160

I feel like there is a pretty simple fix to the problem and that's removing the GPS tracker in the comms agent's mask. That way, actually finding the base isn't an easy task except on pure accident, and it means confrontations between the station and the base will be significantly lower.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #512169

NecromancerAnne wrote:I feel like there is a pretty simple fix to the problem and that's removing the GPS tracker in the comms agent's mask. That way, actually finding the base isn't an easy task except on pure accident, and it means confrontations between the station and the base will be significantly lower.
But conflict is fun and this situation is opt in on both sides
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #512171

Yeeeah it's not fun to take it away entirely but if it proved a problem that's the quickest method. I actually kind of prefer keeping it. Base defense is the most excitement you'll get as a comms agent.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #512177

Its necessary for when comms agents start to just recite WGW
[this space reserved]
SealCure
Byond Username: JimmyJingo

Post by SealCure » #512189

wesoda25 wrote:Its necessary for when comms agents start to just recite WGW
Usually just results in a quick smite/admin deletion as far as I've seen

NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #512226

NecromancerAnne wrote:Yeeeah it's not fun to take it away entirely but if it proved a problem that's the quickest method. I actually kind of prefer keeping it. Base defense is the most excitement you'll get as a comms agent.
It would probably be more fun if the base was more defensible and miners cant just walk in, take all the gear, turn on the self destruct, and then walk out without any risk
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #512245

Miners can't just walk in and do all that.

You're underestimating how strong their turrets are
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #512254

D&B wrote:Miners can't just walk in and do all that.

Gibonite

Also there are a few spaces that the turrets aren't at.

IE above and below
► Show Spoiler
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #512278

D&B wrote:Miners can't just walk in and do all that.

There are a ton of turret blindspots. A miner is able to get to both the gear room and the self destruct room without ever being shot at. They can easily RCD over, RCD down the wall, yoink the chests, RCD the wall back, then go open up the SD and kill everyone without them having known you existed.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #512308

Lava construction was a mistake
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #512313

NecromancerAnne wrote:I feel like there is a pretty simple fix to the problem and that's removing the GPS tracker in the comms agent's mask. That way, actually finding the base isn't an easy task except on pure accident, and it means confrontations between the station and the base will be significantly lower.
Doing so prevents any method of retaliation against a shitlord comms agent.
BSAing them is a tried and true tradition.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #512320

The turrets aren't even on the side where the bomb is, which is backed against an external wall lol.

Why is plastitanium walls the same as normal walls?

Here are some easy fixes actually that don't spoil the fun.

1. Centralize the bomb in the base so you need to actually breach fairly far inside.
2. More turrets, harder hitting.
3. Probably make plastitanium walls a subset of reinforced walls already.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #512325

Make it so the bomb can only be set off by syndie agents, though an ID or code in their notes or something.
--Crocodillo