Better Suggestion
3%

Total votes: 114

Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Appearance/Antag bans on ERP

Post by Skorvold » #4834

Bottom post of the previous page:

If ERP becomes an issue with a player, do you think they should be punished for it?
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Appearance/Antag bans on ERP

Post by paprika » #5089

If you tick antag knowing you're going to spend the entire round erping and you know a lot of people take issue with it and you know it disrupts the round and you know it wastes and antag slot that's basically griefing. If an admin talks to you, tell you it's bad, tell you people dislike it, it's griefing, you should cut it out. You could argue it's not against the rules, and just bad roleplay or gameplay, but it's the same with grey tide. Grey tide was initially just 'bad gameplay' or 'bad roleplay' but it got so bad it was equated to grief because, most of the time, people were repeat offenders who did it over and over after being talked to by admins.

Inaction is still an action if they're wasting antag slots after an admin has told them it bothers people / messes with the round.

It's reasonable to ban someone from antag who knowingly wastes antag slots because it bothers people. As always, admins should PM players who do it post round or on the forums or byond and let them know it's not okay, then after that point you can escalate the issue accordingly with bans on their antag selection. Pretty basic admin shit, but always talk to the player with this vague situation and take the responsibility onto yourself as an admin to personally watch the player so you aren't banning people based on hearsay or vague proof.

ERP is a different subject. ERP in non-critical jobs (critical jobs are defined as heads of staff or most security positions currently) hurts nobody because it has no effect on the gameplay outside of a traitor potentially targeting you and not being able to find you because you're locked in a closet feeling up the mime. But again, if this was reported to an admin, the admin could easily tell the player that was targeted to 'please late join to cut down on the chance you're targeted by antags if you're going to engage in heavy roleplay' because it makes it hard for them to find you in what would normally be a relatively simple task. Traitors also have thermals to counteract ERP hiding making it even less harmful to gameplay in the long run. I've had my target engage in 'heavy roleplay' in a 1 tile box but I found them with thermals eventually through maint. It's pretty much why thermals exist.

So yeah, use your smart admin judgement. PM the player. Things like this are circumstantial and making sweeping bans on things like ERP wastes time. Admins aren't allowed to ERP but do it anyway, that's pretty obvious sign it's going to happen regardless. I've always thought our server doesn't ALLOW ERP, instead we TOLERATE IT to a POINT.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #5099

Admins aren't allowed to ERP but do it anyway
Stop spreading misinformation.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #5101

But it's true.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #5102

I have yet to see proof.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #5107

not gonna lie

>traitors
>important to flow of round

>laughing six max yield lol ggnore call shuttle traitors
>laughing c4 parapen traitors
>laughing steal plasma tank traitors

bring back the tensioner, it's the only way

tensioner 2014
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #5123

Cheridan wrote:Currently, we ban station heads if they go braindead and 'waste the job slot'.

It makes little sense to me if we're not going to apply this to Traitor positions as well, which are also very important to the flow of the round (arguably more so, depending on who is arguing) and also limited in number.
Locking yourself in a dorm all round is equateable to going braindead.

So sure, an antag ban in this situation is logical.

That being said, do we really want our servers to be a place where people go just to internet-fuck each other? Just ban erp outright.
We ban heads who ghost/go afk. We don't ban heads who fuck off, and if we did (or do and I'm just not aware of it), where is the line? It's pretty much impossible to draw that line and I don't believe it should be drawn.

I dare anyone who supports these bans to draw the said line. Which situations require ban and which do not and why?

Also, many people have said that inaction is not actually an issue, but ERP is. I also dare you to explain how is it different.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #5125

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I dare anyone who supports these bans to draw the said line. Which situations require ban and which do not and why?
Those that cause issues require administrative attention. Those that do not, do not.
Also, the fundamental nature of SS13 administration is that there CANNOT be a clear line. The vast majority of situations are far too complex for a clear black/white policy to work.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Myroc

Post by Myroc » #5130

Cheridan wrote:That being said, do we really want our servers to be a place where people go just to internet-fuck each other?
If it's obvious that all they ever do on this server is spend every round co-writing smut with random people in the dorms? Sure, ban them. It's obvious that they're not here to play the game and be a meaningful part of the community. The same applies for any other kind of griefer, and we shouldn't have to make special rules just because ERP is involved.
iamgoofball wrote:You people are defending getting your rocks off in 2d spaceman.
People have, are, and will continue to get their rocks off to pretty damn near anything. So long as they're not bothering anyone in the process (which is the case in the situations discussed, admittedly, but not the case for every single instance), why give a shit? Compared to some of the things out there, doing it in 2D spacemans is comparatively tame. (And one could easily argue that trying to pretend to be special snowflake people in 2D spacemans AKA roleplaying at all is equally silly.) Everytime I see someone decrying ERP in a manner like this I can't help but picture a typical christian soccer mom that gets upset as soon as someone bares their midriff in public.

You want to stop ERP from being a problem? Stop paying attention to it. It wouldn't surprise me if the people being talked about are doing it for the sole reason that it pisses people off. If it pisses off ghosts in deadchat because they can't avoid hearing it, just implement a selective mute for ghosts (which would also help for the dozen monkeyhumans with tourettes in genetics, the clown who is repeatedly screaming HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK over the radio, or the seven cultists trying to summon Nar'Sie.)
Characters I play:
Angel Hawke - Chief Engineer, Pacifist, Comparatively Sane
Damien Hawke - Detective, Compulsive Hero, Ladies Man
Kaylin Stern - Roboticist, Survivalist, Sociopathic Bitch
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #5141

Bluespace wrote:this topic is literally just about fuzzeldorf and dawgas
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #5165

Actually Dawgas and Fuzzle were just a catalyst to the whole thing, I've seen people before way way over do it on ERP on /tg/. It's like there's a fucking culture for it. Since this thread is basically just vomit now. I'm locking it, any objections to the lock can PM me.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.