[Deleted] LANGUAGE POLICING

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lmwevil

LANGUAGE POLICING

Postby lmwevil » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 am #509926

since the tarkov NTR thread was a dumpster fire lets hope this one goes better.

do you believe we should cut down on slurs, phobic remarks and try to remove bad faith dickery in general?

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: LANGUAGE POLICING

Postby terranaut » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:00 am #509930

I don't think policing language is good. In fact, it's an awful direction I would not want to take, ever. Player harassment will remain against the rules.

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:10 pm.
Reason: you're not a candidate, therefore nobody wants your opinon
View this post

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Postby Dax Dupont » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 am #509968

Hard no.
Unless it's direct harassment in the OOC way, leave it be.

We're not space britain.

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:32 am #509981

skoglol wrote:Not a candidate, just asking for a clarification to the OP. Are you talking about IC, OOC, or both?

both, thanks for asking for clarification. answered separately is preferred.

jcll
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Jcll
Github Username: jcll

Postby jcll » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:42 pm #510028

100% no. This is /tg/. I do think targeted harassment does override this tho

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:38 pm #510037

Hard Pass. Welcome to what used to be the 4chan server.

We're not going full China or Britain.

If you can't handle the bants stay out of the kitchen

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

SpacePrius

Byond Username: SpacePrius

Postby SpacePrius » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:32 pm #510091

Slurs used in an attempt to harass another players are gay as fuck and show an overall immaturity that I don't want to see in the playerbase. However if you just say the big scary n word then whatever man, have a nice day. I'm not going to ban you because you said a naughty word.

MortoSasye

Byond Username: MortoSasye

Postby MortoSasye » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:25 pm #510118

I’m going to be real honest here

People are allowed to use whatever the fuck they want, as long as it isn’t targeted towards a specific person. I don’t see any reason why you should be able to start insulting someone repeatedly because they did something that annoyed you, however, if you’re in a fight with said person it’s different. For example:

Case A. Player A killed you on round 832768 while they were an antagonist. You, player B, are mad that they did so even when you were their objective so you decide to go across rounds insulting them at each chance you get in OOC channels, pinging them over discord, etc. They normally ignore you, so you decide to investigate and find out that A is recently sad over losing their job. You use this weakness to exploit them even further by making fun of their situation.

This is not good behavior and it’s harassment which wouldn’t be tolerated and would be punished with an OOC ban for a determined amount of time under the update I want to give to our current rule 1.

Case B. Player U and player L got into a verbal fight in OOC over something that happened last round. L told U to keep an eye on the nuke disk for them, but U got killed by nuke Ops and the station was nuked. They’re obviously just spewing insults because of their current emotional state.

In this case, L and U would be told to chill by an admin and if the fight continues they would be only temporarily muted from OOC to avoid both the fight getting bigger and third parties having to deal with them spamming the channel.

Case C. Unga Bunga the character of player R says ‘’Nigga’’ ‘’Faggot’’, etc in character. Player R also tends to use this terms but not against anyone in specific.

This would be fine by me (As much as I dislike people using those terms personally).
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
DICK PILLS HERE
NSFW:

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Virtual John

Postby Virtual John » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 pm #510154

No. Policing language serves no real purpose other than to keep those mean, stinky words away from people. If you don't like it, there are options. Block the person, ignore them. The minute you start telling other people what they can and can't say is when you've lost.
Harassment is another beast, and that is not tolerated. The latest event was clearly harassment and what happened was just, I believe.

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NikNakflak

Postby NikNakFlak » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:08 am #510674

I've been here forever and been called the worst shit imaginable and probably even been harassed in the past but it wasn't bannable then. It hurt at the time and grew me some pretty fucking thick skin. I'm not gonna language police now and each time a borderline situation comes up where someone might be crossing a line, take it slow and dish out the appropriate bans like an OOC ban or whatever is needed instead of just nuking everyone.
REDACTED
pm for deets

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Postby Dax Dupont » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:00 am #510989

It's also important to note that I think harassment should be defined as something that repeatedly happens and not a single offhand insult. I think people should be able to take it if doesn't happen constantly.

Like I don't care if someone calls me a faggot at all. I guess some people do care but honestly it shouldn't be acted upon unless it's someone calling someone a faggot or nigger constantly or enough times to be disruptive.

Harassment is something that is sustained. Be very careful how you define that line because everything is offensive to some people.

Imagine getting banned for calling someone a faggot as an offhanded comment on ss13.

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Hulkamania

Postby Hulkamania » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 am #511565

I posted this in the policy thread for language policing but I don't really have a problem with people using whatever dumb slur they want to.

The issue mostly arises when it is not done in a playful or ribbing manner, but when its specifically targeted to strike somewhere that is deeply personal.

The idea that people need to harden up and get over petty insults doesn't really apply to these kinds of situations, because it's not even close to being equivalent. If someone calls you stupid online, you're going to brush it off because they know nothing about you and they're just being toxic and mean. If someone knows something personal about you (your sexuality, your race, your nationality, etc.) and specifically targets that thing with the intention of making you feel unhappy, unwanted, less than a normal human, that is where the line is drawn.

You cannot equate yourself being called a slur with someone else's experience, humans take things differently because we come from different backgrounds. My experience is never going to be equivalent to yours, and vice versa. What you may find to be extremely important or offensive, may not be the same to the other person. This gap is bridged by informing the other party "hey that's a touchy subject for me can we not talk about it?" to get everyone on the same level. If you're violating that level, if you're ignoring the fact that they've attempted to reach out despite being upset and make it clear that that's a line they don't want crossed, that's not welcome on our server.

Rule 1 says don't be a dick, and going out of your way to hurt someone OOC as personally and deeply as possible is definitely being a dick. No I wouldn't ever advocate banning someone at the first drop of an offensively targeted slur, but I sure as hell would if you're specifically told that's something you're not comfortable with, or if someone is repeatedly targeting you to belittle you, defame you, marginalize you, or otherwise make your experience here unpleasant. It's a fuckin' 2d spaceman game there's zero reason for that kind of behavior.

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Postby Dax Dupont » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:38 pm #511590

I really don't feel like one or two instances classify as harassment.

You can use any insult in the book except a few specific ones. Do I get to ban people for calling me a furfag or a faggot because I'm part of the LGBT spectrum? No.

It happens all the time, and not in a playing manner. If words offend you so much, then just maybe a community born out of 4chan might not be good for your well being in general.

If you're getting hounded day after day then yeah I can understand taking action, but targeting someone personally happens all the time in conflict. It's somehow okay to call someone a fat fuck (when they may or may not have problems with their self image, you don't know but you can get banned anyways!) but oh no we cross the line at other specific slurs.

I don't think we should punish people for calling people faggots. Consider that 'traps' for instance is now a slur for most LGBT tumblrites in the same way that tranny is. People see TERF as slurs as well, another side of that coin.

I don't advocate the use of these words but I'll defend people's right to use them and other language.

Karp

Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Postby Karp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:31 pm #513135

when we're done we're going to ban any speech on tgstation flat out and force a gamerocracy where people speak with actions rather than words

Return to Archived/Deleted