[Deleted] What if the codebase does something unacceptable?

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

JJRcop

Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

What if the codebase does something unacceptable?

Postby JJRcop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:34 am #510710

To start off I have no problems with the current relationship or any involved parties, this scenario just came to my mind and I'm curious how you candidates feel.

What will you do during your term if a change with the tgstation github is completely incompatible with you and your views of a healthy video game?

Let's say the headcoder approves, whether directly or by not intervening, a change to the game that crosses the line of what you will tolerate, and the normal path of discussion and debate is not changing their mind.

How will you handle this?

There are many options available to you even though as a headadmin you have no power on the codebase. Some actions may require host cooperation,
I lurk quite often...

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Re: What if the codebase does something unacceptable?

Postby Dax Dupont » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:03 am #510714

If it's something insane, then work with the host to get a fork going.

But it needs extreme justification, this is not done lightly and would entail the headcoders to be willfully malicious and destroying the code base. This is unlikely to ever happen.

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Virtual John

Postby Virtual John » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 pm #510796

People give him shit and he may not always see eye-to-eye, but oranges is a godsend to be honest. Sure he may do some questionable things like spoil a movie for you, but he does have the server's best interest at heart. With him over the code I don't really think there's anything to worry about.

If he were to turn evil for some reason, he could definitely do some harm. The only one who could juice him would be MSO to my knowledge. Headmins, despite their power have no control over coders, so we would need to get some of MSO help in that regard.

MortoSasye

Byond Username: MortoSasye

Postby MortoSasye » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 am #510990

The mistake starts when it asks what I would do if >> I << think it is incompatible with my views of the game. I don’t care if it’s what I want, I care if it’s what the community wants.

Now, back to your question: If something is damaging the game and a large amount of the members of this community are against it I would discuss the issue with the head coder and try to come to a solution with them. If they don’t change their mind, then I would have hope that they know what they’re doing because let's be honest, there is little I could do to prevent it from happening.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
DICK PILLS HERE
NSFW:

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 am #511016

Honestly. The Codebase is basically the stronger of the two branches.

The most we could do would resist it via testmerging and wait for MSO.

But my main thing is looking for making the players able to adjust to some pretty interesting code changes.

You can't have the rules saying one thing and the code saying another. It'll be agonizing to play and I don't want this community to suffer like that.

The rules would ultimately have to be the ones to change if the codebase is not budging.

Otherwise, everyone loses instead of the headmins losing because they didn't get what they wanted.

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

Karp

Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Postby Karp » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:46 pm #513141

we make ambiguously worded threats at oranges and pretend like he's murdered a child and then we finally threaten to fork before we get bored and move on. Problem solved, both sides unhappy and confused.

Return to Archived/Deleted