[Deleted] Ban Lengths

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Arathian

Byond Username: Arathian

Ban Lengths

Postby Arathian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:12 pm #510768

I believe ban lengths are getting a bit out of hand. Admins are quick to ban people for weeks, months or even permanently people for rule breaking that isn't done maliciously. Things like metacommunication to teach a newbie friend the game basics or "self antagging" in very niche circumstances. I believe bans are used more "because a ban is supposed to happen" and less as a reform tool (or a tool to remove truly irredeemable people from the community).

Would you agree with the above? What would you do to fix it?

Do you disagree? What is your perspective? Do you think there is anything that could be improved anyway?
Iron, blood and spider armies

terranaut
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Ban Lengths

Postby terranaut » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:25 pm #510773

I think that administrative action should be taken as little as possible but when it is taken it should be harsh.
This means warning people who make mistakes with no ill intent even if the rules would call for a ban and cracking down hard on people who act out of malice.
There's a line of caution that needs to be held though with players who should know better, such as long-time players metacomming with friends, even to teach them the game, simply because it's difficult to prove it was no more than that; in such cases I believe admins should be approached and permission sought so an admin can keep an eye on the respective players ingame actions for a round or two to avoid precisely this scenario.

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

Virtual John
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Virtual John

Postby Virtual John » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm #510801

My current philosophy on this is that I try to to warn people and note them for things that aren't majorly horrible. If they keep doing the same thing over and over then that is when I place a ban, as it's clear they aren't getting the message.

We actually get a lot of admin helps about asking if it's okay to use metacom's for teaching their friends. This is hardly ever an issue from what I see when I'm online, as we will usually just place a short note on them, or just watch them more closely during that round.

I do agree with you in the regard that bans should be looked at case-by-case and not just applied because we've been taught to do it. The only way to fix it is to correct the teaching method a bit, and not just ban people because 'bad man must go away'.

Stickymayhem
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Postby Stickymayhem » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:10 pm #510818

I think, as with a lot of things, it's a symptom of the seriousness of adminbus.

When admins are less willing to treat the game as a game, ban lengths rise. We had a similar issue back in hbls day where standard bans started to become a week long and permabans got thrown around like candy.

Another reason for this is as the rules get more complex and precedent focused, admins will be less willing to be lenient because they get incentivized to follow the letter of the rules and take intent into less account.

Reducing the reliance on these rules and bringing the focus back to rule 1 will help here I think.

Omni Tears

Spoiler:

Plapatin

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Postby Plapatin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:39 pm #510890

Stickymayhem wrote:I think, as with a lot of things, it's a symptom of the seriousness of adminbus.

When admins are less willing to treat the game as a game, ban lengths rise. We had a similar issue back in hbls day where standard bans started to become a week long and permabans got thrown around like candy.

Another reason for this is as the rules get more complex and precedent focused, admins will be less willing to be lenient because they get incentivized to follow the letter of the rules and take intent into less account.

Reducing the reliance on these rules and bringing the focus back to rule 1 will help here I think.

i agree with my husband
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

MortoSasye

Byond Username: MortoSasye

Postby MortoSasye » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 am #510995

I agree that some bans have been thrown too harshly and I have been guilty of this too. You’re absolutely right that bans are reform tools, a slap on the wrist so the player learns to follow the rules next time (hopefully).

An idea I have at the moment would be to discuss this if I get elected in adminbus with the admins, to remind us all of the original purpose of the banning tool. We shouldn’t be too hard on people that commit legitimate mistakes and neither should we be harsh on people that admit their fault after a conversation in admin help.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
DICK PILLS HERE
NSFW:

Return to Archived/Deleted