Cobbychem: A Separate Thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Re: Cobbychem: A Separate Thread

Post by Calomel » #512501

Bottom post of the previous page:

Dr_bee wrote:
Taraiph wrote:I wonder when the last of the useful medicines are going to be removed.
The current non-cobby medicines probably need tiny nerfs TBH.

Trop could have its passive healing removed and have its only method of healing being the peptides. This would put it more in line with a virology healing virus in that it requires the person needing healing do something to trigger the healing, and as a side bonus make active chefs handy to have.

Rhigo healing should be reduced and limited to the spray form. Right now you can use pills, which kind of defeats the purpose of it the cool side bonus.
I don't think eliminating everything is a good idea. On any game, there should be multiple ways to deal with a problem as imperative and important as health, from multiple departments
(Specially on low-pop, there won't always be a doctor, so an alternative has to exist)
I understand you want to make medical doctors relevant, but to do so by removing all Chem alternatives, you may instead make everyone go eat milk/orange/limes for healing instead.
And if that fails, people will just go to Cargo and order medipacks all day, or use Miner's machines for it. And seeing cargo become the new medbay would just be silly.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #512516

Calomel wrote: I don't think eliminating everything is a good idea. On any game, there should be multiple ways to deal with a problem as imperative and important as health, from multiple departments
(Specially on low-pop, there won't always be a doctor, so an alternative has to exist)
I understand you want to make medical doctors relevant, but to do so by removing all Chem alternatives, you may instead make everyone go eat milk/orange/limes for healing instead.
And if that fails, people will just go to Cargo and order medipacks all day, or use Miner's machines for it. And seeing cargo become the new medbay would just be silly.
Dont get me wrong, there should be chemical ways of healing damage, but they should be hard to get or require you actually do something to activate them like healing viruses do, so you dont end up with people stacking healing chems again.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #512529

Calomel wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:
Taraiph wrote:I wonder when the last of the useful medicines are going to be removed.

Trop could have its passive healing removed and have its only method of healing being the peptides. This would put it more in line with a virology healing virus in that it requires the person needing healing do something to trigger the healing, and as a side bonus make active chefs handy to have.

Rhigo healing should be reduced and limited to the spray form. Right now you can use pills, which kind of defeats the purpose of it the cool side bonus.
I don't think eliminating everything is a good idea. On any game, there should be multiple ways to deal with a problem as imperative and important as health, from multiple departments
The thing is, while there should be multiple ways to do things they have to be meaningful tradeoffs, there has to be some element of a decision tree behind the actions a player takes.

So that does mean that things you are describing we will impose consequences of some description on.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #512531

oranges wrote:
Calomel wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

The thing is, while there should be multiple ways to do things they have to be meaningful tradeoffs, there has to be some element of a decision tree behind the actions a player takes.

So that does mean that things you are describing we will impose consequences of some description on.
Seriously lacking in the current implementation because the chemicals with side effects are inferior even without those side effects.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #512532

We'll get there, don't worry, also can you snip large quote chains okay.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #513100

oranges wrote:We'll get there, don't worry, also can you snip large quote chains okay.
One of the problems is that it is supposed to be a short term vs long term tradeoff but organ damage is a horrible mechanic for this against it is also long term and just another health bar.

There should be actually temporary but debilitating side effects.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513112

oranges wrote:Also regarding organs, organs are specifically supposed to be healed via surgery

I don't like the trend that everyone is doing of making every single issue in the game solved by chemistry/reagents just because it happens to be one of the most fleshed out systems in the game.

im perfectly happy for surgery's to be added that heal organs, or consume reagents on touch to the organ to heal it, before you put it back in.

But I dont' want straight organ healing via chems because the surgery system needs fleshing out too
For this to be a thing, organs would actually have to do something meaningful outside of the alcohol poisoning meme.

I remember one round I was in where people were getting their eardrums blown out by flashbangs, and they came rushing into the surgery only for their newly-implanted monkey ears to not actually give them their hearing back until the default deafened state ended. Organ damage and the benefits of replacement seem to be totally inconsistent across organs, which is just another symptom of the medical systems being totally divorced from the life function and body systems in their intents.

No medbay rework, not cobbychem or cloning removal or whatever, is going to succeed until a coherent roadmap is laid out for what features you actually want people to use and how they will interact with the body and its parts. It would be worth it to make this public, so other coders can contribute to the project.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #513118

is it time for the orange (organe) system to be a codebase goal like planetstation and de-centralized RND

this means that it'll never be fully completed
► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513123

Shadowflame909 wrote:is it time for the orange (organe) system to be a codebase goal like planetstation and de-centralized RND

this means that it'll never be fully completed
Considering the slapdash implementation of med and chem reworks so far, we're probably already there. Why not let the end-goal be public?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #513152

everything in this game is slapdash, because we don't have paid devs nothing is ever going to be perfectly implemented straight away, if you want to fix a specific issue, then get stuck in.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513177

oranges wrote:everything in this game is slapdash, because we don't have paid devs nothing is ever going to be perfectly implemented straight away, if you want to fix a specific issue, then get stuck in.
I'm a newbie with the git development tool, but I actually do have some things I want to implement. I just want to be in the loop, and I want everyone else to be in the loop, so we all know what your plan is. Like, I definitely can't do a PR to trash cobbychem and replace it with a bare-bones simple medical chem system (like I outlined earlier) because cobby has obviously produced something you like.

From the broad-strokes ideas you've presented I think I agree with you in principle, but there seem to be a lot of specifics that don't make sense because nobody in the playerbase has the full picture.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #513259

Sandshark808 wrote:
oranges wrote:everything in this game is slapdash, because we don't have paid devs nothing is ever going to be perfectly implemented straight away, if you want to fix a specific issue, then get stuck in.
I'm a newbie with the git development tool, but I actually do have some things I want to implement. I just want to be in the loop, and I want everyone else to be in the loop, so we all know what your plan is. Like, I definitely can't do a PR to trash cobbychem and replace it with a bare-bones simple medical chem system (like I outlined earlier) because cobby has obviously produced something you like.

From the broad-strokes ideas you've presented I think I agree with you in principle, but there seem to be a lot of specifics that don't make sense because nobody in the playerbase has the full picture.
It's just "move away from chems and focus on more active methods of healing (IE surgery)".

Chems should have downsides or be difficult to produce to make them competitive with active methods of healing which require trust and time.

I'm not sure how we haven't made that clear yet.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513301

Cobby wrote:
Sandshark808 wrote:

It's just "move away from chems and focus on more active methods of healing (IE surgery)".

Chems should have downsides or be difficult to produce to make them competitive with active methods of healing which require trust and time.

I'm not sure how we haven't made that clear yet.
Perhaps you should have started with a major surgery rework, because where we're at now means that surgery is kinda bad and medicine is still way better but also might kill you.

Just check out https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23936 for how confusing and inconsistent surgery is. If this is gonna be our primary method of healing, it needs to be not only very robust but also actually work as advertised.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #513307

that is 1 surgery, I think it's a bit much to say the entire system is incoherent/confusing because of 1 minor issue of naming organ add-ons as something that security can inject you with.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513339

Cobby wrote:that is 1 surgery, I think it's a bit much to say the entire system is incoherent/confusing because of 1 minor issue of naming organ add-ons as something that security can inject you with.
It illustrates a larger problem with how surgery is done, which is to say that it was always seen as a side-feature and now that you want it to be the main feature it's full of weird cruft that many people find extremely off-putting to learn.

As someone who enjoys doing surgery, here are a few questions I hear people ask or that I had to ask when I started: Why are there separate surgeries to take things out of the body? Why can some implants be removed normally and some have to have a case on-hand? Why is there a tank of anesthetic gas in the surgery room but no way to make more? Is there any reason to actually put people under for surgery aside from tricking them if you're going to brainwash?

My point is that the plan is being executed wrong. You want to push people to surgery, but only a few dedicated people know its ins and outs and it's not particularly good at curing people right now to boot. What you should have done, and probably should do now, is buff surgery and simplify it at the same time. Here are a few of my ideas:

1. Merge organ manipulation and implant removal into one surgery type.

2. Make all implants function like organs, even the injectable ones, to normalize behavior across all types. This would also allow fun things like if you smash a sec officer's head in with a toolbox you might get lucky and be able to convert them to cult/rev/whatever.

3. Compress the research tree for surgery so revival surgery is obtainable early without miners lynching R&D, or make revival surgery a roundstart surgery.

4. Give doctors a surgical kit when they spawn.

5. When cloning is removed, or even before that, make the organ growing machine a roundstart machine in medbay.

6. "Nerf" medicine by making two broad tiers of chems: Simple Chems, which heal between 2 and 5 damage per tick and metabolize slowly, and Advanced Chems which heal a moderate amount quickly but require the cooperation of an advanced department to provide some specific ingredient or reagent that chemistry can't make on its own.

If you must include a penalty, make it a silly or interesting one based on the special ingredient. For example, a mushroom toxin medicine might cause hallucinations, or a plasma-based radiation cure might turn your skin purple and make you temporarily flammable. The huge penalties for cobbychems aren't producing fun, they're just making people chug charcoal and eat ambrosia. They don't even have the intended negative repercussions for overuse, or at least I'm not seeing them matter in actual rounds.

7. Give surgery steps a prompt for the proper sequential tool, and give an indication if a surgery is already active on a patient. Construction and decon already do this, so it would make sense to add, and it would help newbies learn the ropes. Making it so the wrong tool doesn't stab people was a good idea, but it could still be a little clearer.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #513358

to buff surgery to match chems would have made it so absurdly overpowered that it would have made medical even more of a joke than it was.

The nerf was necessary, because of how simplified the trekchems had made tg med.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513363

oranges wrote:to buff surgery to match chems would have made it so absurdly overpowered that it would have made medical even more of a joke than it was.

The nerf was necessary, because of how simplified the trekchems had made tg med.
It's not about matching chems, it's about making surgery more useful. Did you read my list of suggestions? I didn't suggest making surgery heal more damage, I suggested making it more user-friendly and less dependent on an already over-stressed R&D point pool.

Furthermore, the "nerf" didn't make chems less good, it just made them have really un-fun side effects that aren't stopping people from using them. Time to heal is basically the same as it was before with some medicines now having extremely negative consequences in edge cases and in most cases just being annoying. A slow-release base medicine for each type of damage is more in line with your stated goal than cobbychem is.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #513368

Organ manipulation is organ -based. I'd rather "implants" in the sense of reviver implant be changed to organ mods or something since implants are the little chips that track/apply chems/loyalty.
2. Make all implants function like organs, even the injectable ones, to normalize behavior across all types. This would also allow fun things like if you smash a sec officer's head in with a toolbox you might get lucky and be able to convert them to cult/rev/whatever.
See above, implants are like chips in the person. I wouldn't mind a minute chance of removing an implant through heavily damaging the head or something.
3. Compress the research tree for surgery so revival surgery is obtainable early without miners lynching R&D, or make revival surgery a roundstart surgery.
Use defib and dissect bodies so you have medical bargaining power.
4. Give doctors a surgical kit when they spawn.
I wouldn't mind a rudimentary kit for them (which was PRd but author closed it).
5. When cloning is removed, or even before that, make the organ growing machine a roundstart machine in medbay.
Use EmptyCloning into Surgery into storage. You can also research cybernetic organs.

You SHOULDN'T be experiencing organ failure regularly.
6. "Nerf" medicine by making two broad tiers of chems: Simple Chems, which heal between 2 and 5 damage per tick and metabolize slowly, and Advanced Chems which heal a moderate amount quickly but require the cooperation of an advanced department to provide some specific ingredient or reagent that chemistry can't make on its own.
No.

I do want Dopable meds to be locked behind department cooperation (meaning botany needs chemistry and vice versa to make the chem).

I also want white kits to be the minor damage healers instead of strong single-bodypart healers they are now.
7. Give surgery steps a prompt for the proper sequential tool, and give an indication if a surgery is already active on a patient. Construction and decon already do this, so it would make sense to add, and it would help newbies learn the ropes. Making it so the wrong tool doesn't stab people was a good idea, but it could still be a little clearer.
Already exists if you use optables.
Recurracy
Byond Username: Recurracy

Post by Recurracy » #513373

the 'failure' chance for the healing surgeries is the fucking devil, you basically need to have a surgery table if you actually want to heal people to full
roller beds shouldn't fail at all but operate at 75% effectiveness or something, how do you expect any capable MD to do triage when you heal people for 5 damage every 2 steps, and deal 15 damage every 3rd step
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #513404

you're only 5% off.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #513406

back to where you started.

That's pretty evil
► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513413

Cobby wrote:
Organ manipulation is organ -based. I'd rather "implants" in the sense of reviver implant be changed to organ mods or something since implants are the little chips that track/apply chems/loyalty.
See above, implants are like chips in the person. I wouldn't mind a minute chance of removing an implant through heavily damaging the head or something.
Is there existing code for adding mods to organs? The way I'm looking at this, certain implants like the loyalty implant are obviously attachments to the brain, but others like the storage implant function essentially like a separate organ in the chest cavity which contains items.

If there was a good way to attach them to organs it could be coded so that once you have the organ out you could just pick them off with a hemostat, in much the same way that you can use a screwdriver on a headset and it drops the chip at your feet, which would be pretty cool. It would simplify surgery in the same way that I want, while also letting chip implants remain unique. There would also then be room to have them react to organ damage.

Some of the bigger ones should still show up in the organ manipulation menu, like implanted flashlights and storage implants.
Calomel

Post by Calomel » #513438

oranges wrote:to buff surgery to match chems would have made it so absurdly overpowered that it would have made medical even more of a joke than it was.

Honestly, i agree with this. With olD chems you could ahve everything to heal the station 4 times over in 4 minutes without any effort (Tricord was brain-dead and Perfluoro
was easy as well); at least with this there is more effort required for Chemistry to actually pull their weight.

I have been testing how fast you can get going in Chemistry right now, and I was able to get Oxan, Saly, Pentetic and Salbu in like 10 minutes,
specially since Salbu comes very effectively from sali production, so Chem can still get everything, it just takes a bit more work.

Pentetic removes all other chems so it's already quite a lmited chemical that has to be used properly to do anything. Oxandrolone and Rhigo/Trop have
risky OD rates, so they become slow healers with a high chance of poisoning if the person doesn't know what he's doing, which deterrs people form med raiding/self healing,
which we can agree was a big reason why med players were undervalued.

Salbutamol, salicylic and oxandrolone work well as panic heals, but are slow as molasses at topping people off. Since surgery takes more time for healing the more hurt you are,
it creates a nice combo; panic heal first, then top off with surgery/Food/bruise pack/ointment while it's going or afterwards. of course, I understand there will be
more changes, but right now it seems this is where we stand. Maybe a toxin panic med like Oxandrolone? It could need toxin bottles, which would cause
interesting crew interactions. (I refer to my preivous post; where I mentioned sending asisstants to find the abandoned clinic, as an example)

I'm interested on seeing the botany-chemistry meds: it'll be nice for the botany-chem relationship to be two-ways. Although i always leave three bottles of mutagen/cleaner on the fridge
by principle, I imagine seeing Chem and botany actually exchanging stuff would be interesting. Just make sure that, in the event no botanist is on-station, that chemists can enter
Hydroponics (Or depend on Cook/bartender, which would be a rare case of a cook/bartender interaction).

In short, I reserve my judgement until the changes are finished, but I don't think cobbychems are a dealbreaker at all, and it is only an inconvinience to med raiders
who'd rather ignore the whole medical process to keep turning spacemen horizontal. Of course, this assumes Chemistry actually does his job, and I don't know how
common that is, can anyone with more experience illuminate me on this point? Thanks. Also, sorry for long post, I wanted to have all my thoughts in one go for
easier understanding.
Last edited by Calomel on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #513454

Sandshark808 wrote:
Cobby wrote:
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23936
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #513456

But treckchems were never the ones used, it was always the instant healing brute/burn patches that were the problem.

They were just the perfect medicine. Easy to make, instant heal, no downsides, no OD.
py01
Byond Username: Py01

Post by py01 » #513599

I'm enjoying the more complicated decision tree for medical treatment, but I feel that the existence of bruise packs and ointment in their current state are undermining most of the depth, they are a first order optimal strategy at the moment for many situations. For severe combat injuries, most damage is concentrated in one area, usually the chest, making bruise packs substantially better than advanced chemicals like salicyclic acid.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #513629

Right now Omnizine plants are the go-to easy healing. Easy fix would be to make omnizine craftable by chem but require a botany precursor similar to how rezadone is made. Having it take one other chem that only chemistry can easily make would be enough, like copper, or using plasma as a catalyst.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #513649

Calomel wrote:snip.
thanks for the detailed feedback

In terms of the medkit/easy heals, It might be an idea to cap them at only healing the top 50% (60%? 75%?) of health, which means they're still useful to fix up scrapes and bruises and burns etc that are not more damaging.

This still prevents the fridge logic of having to go to medbay cause you cut your finger or stabbed yourself with a screwdriver by accident, but does mean that serious woundings will require surgical intervention.

edit:dawson had the idea of having a very slow passive healing rate, and ointment/bruise packs could speed up that rate by a percentage.

[14:41] Dawson1917: you can always start low, we still have chembay and surgery as crutches for fast healing right now
[14:42] Dawson1917: a real minimum amount to start off with would probably be healing 1 damage per minute, meaning it takes a full hour to heal off 60 damage
[14:43] oranges: I do like the idea
[14:43] Dawson1917: that healing being divided by the different damages you currently have, like 0.5 brute and 0.5 burn per minute if you have brute and burn damage
Dawson1917: it's too low to ever save someone in a combat situation or let them ignore medbay but if they step on a glass shard or touch a lightbulb they can go "well it'll heal on its own" rather than fetching a medkit for so little damage

edit: edit:
sleeping could also improve the rate by a %
Zangard Howitzer
Byond Username: King_of_the_pugs

Post by Zangard Howitzer » #513682

It’s been tossed around before, but I cannot remember if you (@cobby,oranges) have mulled over it. This isn’t my idea in the slightest, but a merge of ideas I have seen, experienced, etc.

At a certain threshold of brute damage (for example’s sake, let’s say 50), bone fractures/breaks can occur on melee hits 5 damage or greater, with the percentage of fracture scaling with total brute damage. IE Someone with 90 Brute is more likekly to break a bone from being robusted than someone with the base 50. Broken bones, depending on the area wounded (legs:delayed movement speed, tripping. Arms:action delay, dropping items. Chest: organ damage. Head:organ damage) and will deal brute damage the more they are used without being stabilized or fixed. Obviously, surery will be used to fix the issue, but for emergency stabilization when surgery isn’t usable, casts/splints can be used to temporarily mitigate the damage caused.

Repeated for Burn, let’s use the same example threshold of 50 burn damage. If left untreated, burn wounds can become infected. Major infections will require surgery to fix. If left untreated, the infection can spread throughout the body (slowed with spaceillin) and deal toxin damage multiplied by number/severity of infected body parts.

With these implementations, your idea of Medical doctors getting more action is fulfilled. Small wounds will be able to be medkitted and healed by other methods, and more severe wounds will require more effort from doctors, with more devistating effects if left untreated. This adds more of a gameplay/sense of urgency to doctoring
Last edited by Zangard Howitzer on Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zangard Howitzer
Byond Username: King_of_the_pugs

Post by Zangard Howitzer » #513683

In terms of the chemicals, the minor healing damages in the medkits should IMO be low-healing with little to no side effects, while the medicines with more devastating side effects should heal rapidly. Therefore Medbay isn’t clogged by people with papercuts, and people are discouraged to use medicines rather than safer alternatives (such as the newly implemented tend wound surgeries) for more major injuries, lest they have to deal with the consequences and maneuver mixes to mitigate the damage done. In laymans terms, High-risk high-reward.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513686

Zangard Howitzer wrote:In terms of the chemicals, the minor healing damages in the medkits should IMO be low-healing with little to no side effects, while the medicines with more devastating side effects should heal rapidly. Therefore Medbay isn’t clogged by people with papercuts, and people are discouraged to use medicines rather than safer alternatives (such as the newly implemented tend wound surgeries) for more major injuries, lest they have to deal with the consequences and maneuver mixes to mitigate the damage done. In laymans terms, High-risk high-reward.
I suggested this just above but Cobby didn't even consider it.
Taraiph
Byond Username: Taraiph

Post by Taraiph » #513688

With a bit more time working with the chemicals, I've come to a new set of conclusions.

Surgery is absolutely amazing to use, and a godsend for playing around with, conditionally. If you're a plasmaman, and you get injured, you're basically fucked if I have to do surgery. If we have three people who need surgery at the same time, someone's getting fucked for the sole reason that there are two other people ahead of them. If there's anything more hazardous than a swarmer infestation happening on the station, then surgery goes from "preferred, but unwieldy" to "nearly impossible". If I have to do surgery on someone because they got shot into crit with lasers by nuke ops, that person's going to die. If I somehow get into a ten-minute drawn-out firefight on the bridge with a horde of kitted-out cultists and I run out of bruise kits to treat someone with, that person's dead. If there are xenomorphs/spiders/zombies that multiply the more time goes on without all of them being killed, if I have to treat your wounds with surgery, you're probably already dead. Then you'll come back as a xeno/spider/zombie to cause me even more trouble. If you are ever constrained by time, surgery probably won't do anything.

The actual cobbychems themselves are fairly useless for dealing with most ailments that are caused by anything other than pure oxygen deprivation, as far as I can tell. Syriniver's the closest to "useful" a chem as I can find, but it's just not as useful as Pentetic Acid. All of the brute-healers and burn-healers are useless to the point of in-born obsolescence by the mere existence of cryoxadone/omnizine, neither of which are ever in truly short supply with even an amateur botanist/chemist. They're better used to kill/incapacitate than heal in a pinch. I've started considering adding chlorine and instabitaluri to my hypospray mix for extra damage while I try to get away. The takeaway is that it's just not worth the effort to figure them out while they shake impotently on a stasis bed when you could be either either tossing them in a cryopod or bashing their head in with a toolbox and cloning them.

Radiation is the second worst nightmare of Medbay. If you're irradiated, you're going to irradiate literally everyone else coming to Medbay, as well as the Medbay staff, and then we have to inhale pentetic pills while you die vomiting your guts out under a shower. It's effectively impossible to deal with properly, which is a pain on a station where your main power source can instantly turn you into ash if you touch it.

I'm still not sure if this new Medbay is actually good. Sure, it's busier and more engaging, but in an unfun and boring way, like washing dishes or doing grammar homework.
Calomel

Post by Calomel » #513694

Taraiph wrote: If you are ever constrained by time, surgery probably won't do anything.

The actual cobbychems themselves are fairly useless for dealing with most ailments that are caused by anything other than pure oxygen deprivation, as far as I can tell.

Radiation is the second worst nightmare of Medbay. If you're irradiated, you're going to irradiate literally everyone else coming to Medbay, as well as the Medbay staff, and then we have to inhale pentetic pills while you die vomiting your guts out under a shower. It's effectively impossible to deal with properly, which is a pain on a station where your main power source can instantly turn you into ash if you touch it.
1. The problems with a surgery-oriented medbay are mainly that surgery requires active part by the medical doctor, which can lead to waiting lines during war times, and having to stay
in Medbay to wait for people when it's not. If I played Engineering I'd be tempted to build literal Stasis Beds everywhere around the station for easier access.

2. At this point in time I would neve ruse the new "basic" chems for any reason, and i would discourage anyone form ever using them. There are better alternatives even on chemistry for all of them,
that can be done in high quantities (specially with an upgraded chem dispenser). If they removed them completely I don't think we'd be missing much. It'd honestly be better if basic chems onyl healed
you when you're already pretty healthy (maybe mix them with the ointment and such and make paper-cut medicine) while the actual chems are panic meds (Like oxandro and sali). That way
all chems have a unique purpose, and no chem will be "better" or "worse"

3. Radiation is an absolute death sentence. Iodide does not do the job fast enough and there is literally no way to deal with heavy radiation. The honestyly best thing to do with heavy radiation is to put on a
Rad suit, extract' the person's brain, and space the body. Then clone/borg the brain. And even then you'll subject half of medbay to radiation hell. Chemistry -needs- a better rad heal, maybe an IV
requiring one (Dyalisis is too complicted to do, but a chemical that works on IV drip isn't).
Recurracy
Byond Username: Recurracy

Post by Recurracy » #513891

Just remove the RNG success when you're doing surgery on a roller bed and give every MD a scalpel, hemostat and cautery, it'd make triage a lot less of a pain in the ass
Calomel

Post by Calomel » #513933

Recurracy wrote:Just remove the RNG success when you're doing surgery on a roller bed and give every MD a scalpel, hemostat and cautery, it'd make triage a lot less of a pain in the ass
Actually, this can be achieved by Medical having an accesible lathe to build stuff from like Botany does.
And also, i decided to mess around as Engineer and found out I can litter the entire station with stasis beds
with very little effort (A stasis bed's circuit + microman + capacitor is not expensive to make), so if there's waiting lines
just go pester engineering and/or science. Engis barely have anything to do after setting the SM anyways.

Also, cargo can make surgery tools as well, just contact your friendly QM/Cargo techie or just break into Cargo
if the place is empty. People already break into the lathe all the time anyways, at least this way it's for a good cause.
Plus, it gives Medical doctors something to do that isn't "round about medbay for the 12th time".
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #513950

Calomel wrote:
Recurracy wrote:Just remove the RNG success when you're doing surgery on a roller bed and give every MD a scalpel, hemostat and cautery, it'd make triage a lot less of a pain in the ass
Actually, this can be achieved by Medical having an accesible lathe to build stuff from like Botany does.
And also, i decided to mess around as Engineer and found out I can litter the entire station with stasis beds
with very little effort (A stasis bed's circuit + microman + capacitor is not expensive to make), so if there's waiting lines
just go pester engineering and/or science. Engis barely have anything to do after setting the SM anyways.

Also, cargo can make surgery tools as well, just contact your friendly QM/Cargo techie or just break into Cargo
if the place is empty. People already break into the lathe all the time anyways, at least this way it's for a good cause.
Plus, it gives Medical doctors something to do that isn't "round about medbay for the 12th time".
You need technology from the R&D techweb to make surgery tools.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #513976

Sandshark808 wrote: You need technology from the R&D techweb to make surgery tools.
Not the baseline ones.
Taraiph

Post by Taraiph » #514121

Cobby wrote:
Use defib and dissect bodies so you have medical bargaining power.
Read: Get fucked if R&D decides nanites are better than surgery.
Use EmptyCloning into Surgery into storage. You can also research cybernetic organs.

You SHOULDN'T be experiencing organ failure regularly.
[/quote]

If you're using these chems you're probably already experiencing major organ failures by virtue of having them in your system in the first place. Besides, empty cloning > surgery > storage > surgery is not any more effective (or even a comparable use of your time) than toolbox > cloning >cryo.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #514367

Taraiph wrote:Read: Get fucked if R&D decides nanites are better than surgery.

If you're using these chems you're probably already experiencing major organ failures by virtue of having them in your system in the first place. Besides, empty cloning > surgery > storage > surgery is not any more effective (or even a comparable use of your time) than toolbox > cloning >cryo.

1. No, you can just clone OR TW into Defib OR heart replacement into defib.

2. I mean stop taking so much, otherwise idk what to tell you but that's not true? As for le epic KNC, The idea is that you do it beforehand. Of course it's not going to be as efficient if you're doing it "on request", you should be doing it whenever you get downtime. Research can also alleviate this with cybernetic organs.

If everyone is taking damage for some reason then yeah it's going to be hard. That's intentional.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #514377

Cobby wrote:
Taraiph wrote:Read: Get fucked if R&D decides nanites are better than surgery.

1. No, you can just clone OR TW into Defib OR heart replacement into defib.

2. I mean stop taking so much, otherwise idk what to tell you but that's not true? As for le epic KNC, The idea is that you do it beforehand. Of course it's not going to be as efficient if you're doing it "on request", you should be doing it whenever you get downtime. Research can also alleviate this with cybernetic organs.

If everyone is taking damage for some reason then yeah it's going to be hard. That's intentional.
So you want it to be harder in the phase where it was already really hard, but also harder in the phase where it was straightforward? How does this increase player enjoyment again?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #514386

which phase was "already really hard" and which one was "straightforward"?

Little Damage? Stypic
Medium Damage? Stypic
LOTS OF DAMAGE? Stypic
LOTS OF DAMAGE WITH SEVERAL PEOPLE? MORE Stypic

If you're implying medical was ever difficult outside of maybe an instakill cheese mechanic (or wizard bafoonery I guess) then I don't think we've been playing the same game.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #514404

Cobby wrote:which phase was "already really hard" and which one was "straightforward"?

Little Damage? Stypic
Medium Damage? Stypic
LOTS OF DAMAGE? Stypic

If you're implying medical was ever difficult outside of maybe an instakill cheese mechanic (or wizard bafoonery I guess) then I don't think we've been playing the same game.
Styptic has always had an overdose threshold. Synthflesh made with extracted and mutated blood was the way to go to cure major injuries but it still wouldn't stop medbay from being choked with the dead when a robust player showed up.

That you reduce medbay to this oversimplification shows that A) you don't play medical doctor and don't understand how difficult it was to keep up with an active antagonist with the old, better chems, or B) you aren't aware that Oranges is removing cloning relatively soon and so your changes aren't keeping that in mind.

I suggest you take into consideration that every person who plays medbay hates your changes and 1/2 to 3/4ths of the doctor mains on Sybil have quit over your chem rework. People are just not having fun playing the role anymore.
Taraiph

Post by Taraiph » #514438

Cobby wrote:which phase was "already really hard" and which one was "straightforward"?

Little Damage? Stypic
Medium Damage? Stypic
LOTS OF DAMAGE? Stypic

This one's gonna take me a minute.

In game design (and if you're going to tell me that ss13 isn't a game when you can have mothpeople clowns shooting banana creampies at literal robe-and-hat spacewizards you can fuck off), giving the player choices does not necessarily improve player engagement or improve the player's decision making.

To tell you what I mean, let's take one of my favorite fighting games: Street Fighter 3: Third Strike: Fight For The Future. Every character gets three super moves that you choose at character selection, and each one can drastically change the overall playstyle and goals of that character. My favorite character, Remy, has a super move that can throw a barrage of projectiles, a super move that covers a massive vertical slice of the screen in three somersaults, and a super move that outright counters any basic attack you throw at it. Lots of really good choices there, right? You'd see a lot of different players try and play a more zoning-based playstyle with the first one or an aggressive one with the second and a very mindgame-based with the third. Thus, every player has a different approach to how they would play Remy, and more people would enjoy playing Remy due to his interesting and useful tools.

This is not the case. All three are dogshit. I won't go into exact reasons here (There's a lot of knowledge I know most of you don't have and I'd have to define and explain each and every one) but everyone picks the second super move and ignores the others because it's the only one that can be properly made use of with Remy's toolset given what literally every other character has access to.

This is medbay.

What you've made, Cobby, is a situation where the choices available are effectively inferior in every circumstance to the choices that came before, further obsoleting the department you wanted to improve. No one wants to risk blindness with aiuri or replace burn damage with brute with ichiyuri. No one wants to sit on a table for a minute and a half (or more) while they wait for a doctor to tend their wounds. No doctor wants to sit there and tend wounds because it keeps them from dealing with other matters that may be more useful in the near future. And no one wants to have to wait for the CMO (AKA me) or a doctor (often non-existent) to finish up with someone else to tend to their bullshit.

Medbay's a team effort.

The problem is there's no one else to play with.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #514439

Sandshark808 wrote: Styptic has always had an overdose threshold.
Thats where your wrong kiddo. It used to not have one, it just purged from your system very fast.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #514454

I should have known you're from the fighting game community given how insane you are
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #514457

oranges wrote:I should have known you're from the fighting game community given how insane you are
"Surely THIS snarky comment will deal the crushing blow to my critics," says increasingly nervous man for 7th time this week.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #514461

you got me sandshark 808

also stop saying im removing cloning soon.

It's just not true at all, digg asked about it in the AMA and I said in a year or mores time, when medbay was suitably ready for it.

It really pisses me off when people straight up lie about stuff like this and I will catch you a dev subforum ban for it.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #514468

Sandshark808 wrote: Styptic has always had an overdose threshold.
Yeah no, I literally added a styptic OD 2 months ago.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #514471

which is probably about how long this person has been playing

oh, apparently since march this year, so not far off
Calomel

Post by Calomel » #514477

I'm going to take the middle ground position, as dangeorus as it is to do so.

I do agree on teh elimination of Styptic/Silver and Bic/Anti/kelo. They took no effort to make, Chemistry has clear alternatives to it that
can be done en masse with almost as much ease. Oxandro and sali are powerful stabilization chems, and trop and rigo, albeit a bit slow,
can work for moderate wounds. To chemistry these changes at least avoid the chemists finishing all the work in 5 minutes and then
be at the bar for the rest of the round or make meth because there isn't anything else to do.

My only complaint on this respect is the lack of an emergency anti poison (I can't use Pentetic with multiple damage types because of purges)
and a better anti-rad (We can't keep up even with basic SM radiation)

On teh toehr hands, i agree that the new Tier 1 chems have aboslutely no reaosn to even be brewed. As a chemist I'd never do it, because
there is no reason to do so. I'd either make them paper-cut chems (Healing only when a person has above X% health) and substitute
the ointment/bruise packs for them, and make the medkits have Oxandro/Salicyl/[Insert emeregency toxin heal here] so medbay has
some method to deal with things taht doesn't require chemistry. (Over-dependance of chemistry was one of the reasons medbay was so
undervalued, and these changes only make Chemistry even more indispensable)

Also, this also provides a challenge to medbay: to truly heal people you'd need both types, so trying to use onyl chems will deplete medbay
really quickly; they must compliment the chems with surgery to maintain their reserves if a chemist is not present, or depend
on CARGONIA. heck, you can allow a "void zone" between the emergency heals and the paper cut heals so there is a sweet spot
where surgery si the only way to deal with an injury. That would make all things (Chems, surgery) relevant and with a unique use.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #514480

Is that actually true regarding the rads? I've been getting conflicting answers on radiation for weeks now and I can't figure out why people are having radically different experiences.

I like the idea of switching the tier 1 chems to be paper cut chems, personally I'd cap them to heal the top 40% of damage only, and then make them the active components of bruise /burn patches etc.

I know someone mooted the idea of passive healing over time and the paper-cut chems speeding up that heal rate a bit., however I think a cap is more manageable and understandable (with proper feedback).