General SS13 Chat
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Serial tiders

Post by Shadowflame909 » #514496

Bottom post of the previous page:

Some jobs promote tiding

One of them being chemistry because you're either just an automation machine constantly pumping out medicine. Or a lesson on ethical cruelty as you make and dispense drugs, death mixes, and torture chemicals. IE skewium and lube.

Genetics is also boring in a similar sense. Considering it's just a job where you unlock super-powers and then find reasons to use the more harmful ones. Although that job got nerfed so hard by incidental changes targetting other mechanics, making it very repetitive and uninteresting. it ultimately just needs more content.

Atmos is a tiders dream because no one understands that job

Shaft-Mining, the Cook, and Xenobiologist find themselves so engaged that you never see tiding from them.

Its just content versus boredom here

With a little bit of too much complexity.
► Show Spoiler
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #514499

oranges wrote:
tinodrima7020 wrote:Who would've thought that players eventually get bored, because nothing is being added, except epic medical changes, nerfs, and other fuckery no one asked for, turn to fucking with other players to get some enjoyment out of /tg/
this is bullshit considering the only person who ever made major new features got hated by 90% of the playerbase
This is the most braindead post you have ever made Oranges.

Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change from the laggy atmos system to the new version of it that processes it fast and adds shit like depressurization? No.
Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change where mining went from a menial job with next to no reward for the effort to a more combat/exploratory role that rewards miners for mining more? No.
Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change where the kitchen went from basically having burgers and waffles to having a fuckload of food and the ability to make custom food? No.
Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change where cargo got the ability to make more money via bounties? No.
Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change hated how xenobio got the ability to make crossbreed extracts that vastly amplifies potential rewards of putting time and effort into xenobiology? No.
Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change where the icons went from the most flat shading I have seen outside of mspaint to actually having detail and depth now?
Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change where dismemberment was added and it made combat feel better?

God, I can think of a fuckload more to the list above, and every one of those makes your point that much more retarded.
Just because the project that you're trying to force is hated by the community doesn't mean every major change was hated by the community, maybe it's a reflection of the people involved with that specific one?

I cannot wait for MSO to eventually appear again and do another NTstation because your hubris and idiocy got in the way of actually making the project better in the long run.
Last edited by TheMythicGhost on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #514500

The reason I don't enjoy playing Command is because then I have to shepherd a bunch of retards or if I'm Captain a bunch of retards with access to loud mode while trying my hardest to delay the chaos inevitable demise of the station around me. It's a lot of stress and not a lot of fun.
So I either play AI which means I observe and open doors and doorshock annoying cats for fun until a traitor subverts me or I roll malf (honestly I enjoy being in arguably the most powerful role on the station and using it to give people increased options rather than going "no sorry I can't open that door for you there's a screwdriver and you might hurt yourself"; increased options lead to increased creativity leads to better rounds), or I just take part in the chaos and fuck around. Remember, chayosh ish a ladder.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #514501

TheMythicGhost wrote:
oranges wrote:stuff about one specific person
autistic rant about individual changes
lol reading comprehension fail
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #514502

Glad to see I'm still living up to my name, even if other jobs are starting to catch up.

Make it so if assistant is more than 50% of your playtime, you just don't play assistant (and like PK said just fuck off with some other jobs tools and slot).
TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #514503

4dplanner wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:
oranges wrote:stuff about one specific person
autistic rant about individual changes
lol reading comprehension fail
Planner, I recommend you read the sentence again. The point of that 'autistic rant' is to highlight that there wasn't just one person that made major new changes, and 90% of the community didn't hate all major new changes nor the people involved in those changes.
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #514504

TheMythicGhost wrote:
4dplanner wrote:snip
Planner, I recommend you read the sentence again. The point of that 'autistic rant' is to highlight that there wasn't just one person that made major new changes, and 90% of the community didn't hate all major new changes nor the people involved in those changes.
Fair enough, I still don't think pointing out individual changes being received well is enough to counter the fact that the TG community tends to drive away/attack all the biggest content creators
TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #514508

4dplanner wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:
4dplanner wrote:snip
Fair enough, I still don't think pointing out individual changes being received well is enough to counter the fact that the TG community tends to drive away/attack all the biggest content creators
Not the point, stop strawmanning.

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #514511

Thing is both a bad and good change will get major pushback. I don’t fucking know what people who change systems expect, you are literally changing how the game is played and forcing people to deal with it until its refined enough. If you don’t want drama don’t bother coding major changes :shrug:
[this space reserved]
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #514513

I mean, I see a lot of experienced players who CONSTANTLY tide, instead of doing anything helpful or productive or fun. Ekat being an example of tiding happening even OUTSIDE of assistant, within HEAD OF STAFF jobs none the less, Alongside countless times someone's yelled at me for arresting them because they broke into brig to get a sechud. Motherfucker you're not supposed to be here, and I'm supposed to defend my brig.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #514524

TheMythicGhost wrote:
Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change from the laggy atmos system to the new version of it that processes it fast and adds shit like depressurization? No.
When was atmos code changed?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #514530

TheMythicGhost wrote: Not the point, stop strawmanning.
lol redditor

anyway, as to the original point: player reactions to change don't really have anything to do with whether it's "bullshit" that lack of interesting changes drives people to greytide, it's just giving another cause of it
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #514531

Dunno how anyone could come to the conclusion that greytiding has anything to do with recent changes considering it's been a thing ever since this game even existed

If being an assistant was actually hard you wouldn't see as many people choosing it, their access to maintenance by itself is more valuable than what many other jobs have to offer without any of the responsibilities, which is perfect for someone that just wants to cause trouble

It's also worth mentioning that for reasons that are still a mistery to me admins will let assistants get away with things that wouldn't fly with any other job, which to me is absolutely backwards
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #514532

oranges wrote:
tinodrima7020 wrote:Who would've thought that players eventually get bored, because nothing is being added, except epic medical changes, nerfs, and other fuckery no one asked for, turn to fucking with other players to get some enjoyment out of /tg/
this is bullshit considering the only person who ever made major new features got hated by 90% of the playerbase
At the risk of getting a rarely plays tag, who is this person?
Kor the burned out? he is/was pretty popular.
Remie the molten down? That was on managment.
Joan the powertripper? They had it coming.
Cheridan? Niknak? Paprika?
Oldmancloudyeller? XDTM? the maintainers club?
Xhuis?? Kevinz?? triple M?? DAX?? fucking goofball??
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #514537

My alts need not to be addressed
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #514538

moodlets are good
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #514547

Lumbermancer wrote:moodlets are good
I agree
[this space reserved]
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #514567

just kill assistants no one is gonna cry about it

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Post by knacker48 » #514568

angelstarri wrote:just kill assistants no one is gonna cry about it
The assistants will
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #514605

angelstarri wrote:just kill assistants no one is gonna cry about it
with the symptom of the problem but not the actual problem removed, assistants now do the exact same thing as important roles
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #514671

You don't need to nerf or buff assistants
Only the players need to change
But it will never happen

cursed thread please close
Last edited by Tarchonvaagh on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #514675

TheMythicGhost wrote:Not the point, stop strawmanning.
?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #514700

Lumbermancer wrote:moodlets are good
Moodlets just cause not eating to be punished twice. Once with the hunger meter and once with the mood meter.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #514701

Come now, I for one object to this ridiculous myth that some of us only ever play as assistants and do nothing better with our lives.

Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #514704

Well some play assistant like an interactive spectator mode, yes.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #514705

I personally played asisstant for some time because I wanted to learn the layout of the staiton (I was sick of never knowing where stuff was)
and it actually is very useful when you want to play Sec/engi, because you know where the usual places with problems are.

Asisstant is basically saying "don't pay atention to me I'm just looking around" unless you actually start doing things.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #514745

I am an unapologetic silicon main but there was a time where I was a command main. Assistant is my cooldown job because to be perfectly frank, even I have my limits at being screamed at, and I suppose I do tide in a sense (though can it really be tide if it's pacifist tide?). I enjoy the thrill of a chase, evading pursurers and outsmarting them but I dare you to find an instance where I've ever thrown the first punch, or even one at all.
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #514765

Assistants is fine sometimes you just want to be him some dude with not responsibility. Heads roles is big pain in ass you forced to WORK and solve station problems same with security you need to care about antags and tiders. So assistants just relaxation role. You just run around and dont give a shit about hell around you.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #514767

TheMythicGhost wrote: Are you saying that 90% of the community hated the change where the icons went from the most flat shading I have seen outside of mspaint to actually having detail and depth now?
i hate it so therefore everybody hates it
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
MGP
Byond Username: PME

Post by MGP » #514836

As a Sec/Cap main, you either have it in you or you don't. I hypothesize job selection is mediated by personality more than anything else. There are likely correlations between the proportion of hours spent as Security/Captain, and how agreeable a person is. People that are disagreeable are more likely to be hostile and argumentative, and are generally more tolerant of conflict than other people. Conflict tolerance being a determining factor of whether you main sec or not, as you will be having constant conflicts. Also Security's job is the keeping of order on station. Orderliness falls under the domain of conscientiousness, and thus there could be a link there as well.

So why do you not have many sec mains? Probably because someone that is low in agreeableness and high in conscientiousness is selected against at the SS13 game level, or at the server level. In other words, not many people with that personality profile play SS13, or if they do, not on /tg/station, because they are discriminated against in some way that moves them to other servers.

No amount of incentives is going to make an Assistant main who is on one opposite end of a personality spectrum be a Security Officer. Forcing them to will just make them play less or stop playing altogether. If you want more Sec/Heads of Staff, you have to lower the threshold for conflict tolerance necessary to comfortably play the role. This will make it so that people that almost have the psychological criteria suddenly fit, and far more likely to play the role. Basically, make it harder to greytide, nerf antagonists, and make it easier to do your job as Security.

If there's anyone here who has any sort of ambition, you should conduct a survey of player's five factor model personality (and better yet more variables than that, so more research can be done) and see if there are any statistically significant correlations between personality and job selection. Actually since I like research and know how to do it properly, I would do this all myself just because it's interesting. Alas, you have banned me. I don't think you deserve it, and most people here probably don't know how to read research articles anyway. Still a good idea.
TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #514951

MGP wrote:Attempting to psychoanalyze a game's playerbase correlating agreeableness to sec/command, and conscientiousness to other lower responsibility jobs using one of the least scientifically backed psychological models.
I don't agree with any part of this psychoanalysis, and I feel the choices in role mainly fall on (the answer to these can change on a round to round basis):
  • A. What mechanics govern the job? Are they fun? Do they have depth?
    B. What kind of responsibility do I want to play in a role right now?
    C. How much power do I have in this role over others? Subsequently, how much power in this role do others have over me?
    D. How many players go for this? Is there a reason they go for this? Should I find out?
I've gone pretty much everything from Silicon, to Security, to Clown (a few times), to Captain, to Assistant. Not specifically, but in a range.
Generally, I feel you get to experience the most out of the station if you're not tied to any single department, since you'll usually be going around to every single one of them and getting into interactions that people limited to their job generally won't without external factors affecting them.

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #514982

firecage wrote:Image
Imagine a person having the patience to spend over 60 solar cycles playing SS13, and that same person playing bartender for ten minutes, say "Nah, this is boh-ring." and never trying it again.
► Show Spoiler
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #514994

Farquaar wrote:Imagine a person having the patience to spend over 60 solar cycles playing SS13, and that same person playing bartender for ten minutes, say "Nah, this is boh-ring." and never trying it again.
People who hate RP hate playing Bartender, because it's just chemistry-lite except you get to shotgun the clown with beanbags.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Xeroxemnas
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Post by Xeroxemnas » #515057

Remove maint access from assistants. If they want to play the "hardmode" job then make it actually hard for them so they don't get griefing tools 5 seconds into the round.

Dante Must Die Mode: Remove salary from assistants because fuck them, no gloves for you.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #515062

Make assistants "passengers"
TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #515067

Xeroxemnas wrote:Remove maint access from assistants. If they want to play the "hardmode" job then make it actually hard for them so they don't get griefing tools 5 seconds into the round.

Dante Must Die Mode: Remove salary from assistants because fuck them, no gloves for you.
Shouldn't these be in the "shitty ideas" thread? I think you got the wrong forum.

Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #515068

don't change anything about assistants or how they play. instead, put a job limit on them that changes over time and scales with how many people are playing security/heads (and, to a lesser extent, the regular jobs). if you want to play a certain role but without the responsibilities, you'd have to turn on both assistant and that job if you wanted it, since there's no guarantee you're rolling assistant. in addition, this makes sure that there's always a decent amount of security that can deal with greytiders without being overwhelmed.
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #515069

Plapatin wrote:don't change anything about assistants or how they play. instead, put a job limit on them that changes over time and scales with how many people are playing security/heads (and, to a lesser extent, the regular jobs). if you want to play a certain role but without the responsibilities, you'd have to turn on both assistant and that job if you wanted it, since there's no guarantee you're rolling assistant. in addition, this makes sure that there's always a decent amount of security that can deal with greytiders without being overwhelmed.
Didn't we try that before?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master

Post by Plapatin » #515070

ThanatosRa wrote: Didn't we try that before?
i don't believe so but i'm not sure. even if we did try it, it was certainly a long enough time ago to where it wouldn't hurt trying it again, especially with the ssethtide shifting the atmosphere and whatnot
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #515071

Plapatin wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote: Didn't we try that before?
i don't believe so but i'm not sure. even if we did try it, it was certainly a long enough time ago to where it wouldn't hurt trying it again, especially with the ssethtide shifting the atmosphere and whatnot
the tears or angry assistant mains would be delicious though.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #515084

ThanatosRa wrote:the tears or angry assistant mains would be delicious though.
That means we have to do it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #515091

Sandshark808 wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:the tears or angry assistant mains would be delicious though.
That means we have to do it.
seething
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #515092

CPTANT wrote:Moodlets just cause not eating to be punished twice. Once with the hunger meter and once with the mood meter.
If you're going to complain about features, at least understand how they work so you don't look like a complete moron.

Hunger only interacts with mood if its enabled. The bar does nothing besides affect mood.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #515094

not that that matters since being literally starving to death should have bad downsides
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #515118

removing tiders just puts the tiders in another job slot

Remember engineering tide

and Remember Antag Rep Head Position tide

Honestly just commit full paradise style, and ban anyone you think is not fit for this community. That'll get your medium RP real quick, with less lag.

But. If you want a full commitment without all the mass bans and thanosing.

Changing the broken rules of yesteryears like escalation would be our best bet.
► Show Spoiler
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #515132

ThanatosRa wrote:
Plapatin wrote:don't change anything about assistants or how they play. instead, put a job limit on them that changes over time and scales with how many people are playing security/heads (and, to a lesser extent, the regular jobs). if you want to play a certain role but without the responsibilities, you'd have to turn on both assistant and that job if you wanted it, since there's no guarantee you're rolling assistant. in addition, this makes sure that there's always a decent amount of security that can deal with greytiders without being overwhelmed.
Didn't we try that before?
Yeah whenever I logged in and assistant cap was reached, I selected either cargo or atmos tech (for maint access), stripped my suit, changed into a grey suit, then (optionally) headed to the HoP to demote me to assistant.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #515143

Real assistant main would just abuse extended access while ignoring the job.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #515145

Lumbermancer wrote:Real assistant main would just abuse extended access while ignoring the job.
that's extra gay
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #515151

Lumbermancer wrote:Real assistant main would just abuse extended access while ignoring the job.
No way I'm keeping the department suit on, and then I'd get chain-arrested for trespassing. It gets boring after a while. Just loot the place first
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #515152

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Make assistants "passengers"
one of the hrp servers "removed assistant" then made an otherwise identical jobless role called "visitor" and tiding went down overnight

I dunno if that was just 'cause of the shock of "hey asshole, assistants don't exist here" reminding them that they're not playing on a traditional ss13 server though
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #515155

Screemonster wrote:
Tarchonvaagh wrote:Make assistants "passengers"
one of the hrp servers "removed assistant" then made an otherwise identical jobless role called "visitor" and tiding went down overnight

I dunno if that was just 'cause of the shock of "hey asshole, assistants don't exist here" reminding them that they're not playing on a traditional ss13 server though
Well it makes the RP different. You would treat an employee different from just some random asshole who is on the station.

I imagine it makes spacing them or throwing them in permabrig easier.