Code Bounty: Var Editable Timestop

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Code Bounty: Var Editable Timestop

Post by Arianya » #516658

Putting up a £10 GBP/$12 USD/$16 CAD (claimer's preference via paypal or steam game equivalent) code bounty to modify the timestop spell to be var editable.

Currently, the timestop spell is hard coded to be a 3x3, and the duration is similarly hard coded to be 5 seconds. I would like this changed, so that the spell can be modified by var-editing to allow modifications by admins/people with varedit.

The Core Spec:

The timestop spell must be modified to be var-editable on area of effect (range) and duration. The functional effect of the Timestop spell as given to a wizard by his spellbook must be the same as before changes. This is to ensure the codebase has a high chance to want to merge the changes. If there are unforeseen code spaghetti reasons that make this clause unreasonable then it will be waived.

Optional:

The clock graphical effect that is summoned when timestop is cast should probably remain at it's current size regardless of actual range. I have no strong preference for this but it'd be nice.

Break Clause

If in the process of PRing the change, the codebase makes reasonable requests for changes, and in my opinion those changes are unreasonably refused or delayed by you, compromising the change's ability to be merged, then only half of the bounty (base and any bonuses from stretch goals) will be payable. To reassure, this will only be called upon if you're like, goof levels of un-cooperative.

Might post some stretch goals with extra bounty later.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Re: Code Bounty: Var Editable Timestop

Post by XDTM » #516701

Can do, should be quick
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #516708

As a bonus I also made it so it visually freezes affected turfs and machinery, although mechanically the only effect is that it prevents them from being dragged. As well as obscuring light fixtures, because apparently it behaves as if they were sprayed on due to the atom color change.

Let me know if you don't want this part, or if there are any further changes that could be added
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #516712

XDTM wrote:As a bonus I also made it so it visually freezes affected turfs and machinery, although mechanically the only effect is that it prevents them from being dragged. As well as obscuring light fixtures, because apparently it behaves as if they were sprayed on due to the atom color change.

Let me know if you don't want this part, or if there are any further changes that could be added
Quick work!

I do like the visual freeze for turfs and machinery, though I worry the light change would make it a bit odd? A screenshot would be appreciated.

XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #516719

As you can see, the corner of the room is visibly darker; with very wide range timestop this can result in total blackouts (minus other light sources) so i'm considering blacklisting light fixtures as a simple solution, since it doesn't look great.
timepic.PNG
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #516727

Blacklisted lights, here's a wide-range timestop.
timepic2.PNG
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #516743

That looks ace, so it's fine by me to keep.

Obviously oranges/maintainers might not like the effect, so if they express disapproval it's fine to PR it without.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #518077

Bounty belatedly paid!