Free Terry

deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Free Terry

Post by deedubya » #518268

Before I begin: I don't actually play Terry. I'm not a europoor. The majority of this topic is under the information I've been given that Terry is more or less under 24/7 Dynamic mode, and has been for quite some time now. If this isn't the case, feel free to move this topic to FNR trash immediately. Why is this in policy discussion? Because as far as I'm aware, things relating to server configs belong here, or at the very least don't seem to go anywhere else.

So with that assumption out of the way...why is this the case? EU players only have one non-eventhall server to choose, and it's Terry. It seems incredibly unfair to force them to play under dynamic constantly if they want to have a respectable ping. It's to the point that I've had players salt about it in OOC/deadchat/discord, saying how "I used to play Terry but I'd rather play with bad ping than play 24/7 dynamic". Now don't get me wrong, I think dynamic is pretty fun as a once every so often thing. Some people probably disagree with me, and prefer the fast paced hectic action of dynamic. In fact, it sounds like it'd be far more appropriate for a different playerbase entirely. A server who's already used to highpop fast paced hectic action. A server that has a viable alternative with the same ping if dynamic isn't your cup of tea.

Basically, my proposal is this. Put Terry back on secret. That way dynamic still happens every so often, but the euros can still play the game normally without having to sacrifice their ping to do so. Instead, make Bagil the 24/7 dynamic server. Their population is already used to the fast paced shenanigans of high pop nonstop toolboxing. Not only that, but NA has two additional non-eventhall servers to choose from if dynamic isn't your thing. Sybil would become the main "normal" server, and Sybil-2 would actually have a purpose as an overflow server.

tl;dr: Make Terry secret again, make Bagil dynamic.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Free Terry

Post by terranaut » #518271

Just have a vote during the shuttle flight for the next rounds gamemode (as in secret/dynamic, not the full selection)
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #518279

We should improve on dynamic, and throw out secret. Dynamic is the future, but it needs a bit of tweaking.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #518284

I don't know whether it's due to server culture or balancing, but /vg/'s dynamic is much less insane.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #518286

Sandshark808 wrote:I don't know whether it's due to server culture or balancing, but /vg/'s dynamic is much less insane.
Years and years of tweaking it, and different antags some of which fit much better with Dynamic. Server culture helps, they (allegedly) don't murderbone as much.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #518296

I wanted to start this thread first
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #518298

Free terry from the curse of secret, Dynamic is the future. If bagil wants dynamic 24/7 just change bagil to it too. People who want secret from american can play sybil 1/2 and the euros can play event hall. Win win.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #518299

only people who dont like playing ss13 anymore like dynamic mode
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #518333

I mostly play on terry, but I do tend to play roles that don't get into much conflict (Service, Medical), so probably not the best
to talk aout these things, but hey.

For one, I'd say taht dynamic is interesting but I've noticed it tends to make Cults a lot, which is nice because cults
allow people who aren't confident enough to roll for antag to become one and see how actual antag play is. I personally
don't like extended or sextended (Low-pop servers are better for intentionally longer rounds), but I do understand some poeple do,
and they have a right to enjoy the game as well.

Maybe the solution is to have (s)extended in the rotation, maybe as a 60 Dynamic- 20 Sextended- 20 Extended ratio or something?
Like, whenever the game rolls for dynamic, it could instead turn into (s)extended. That way we can have everything.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #518336

dynamic makes the game always active and only people who arent even on terry seem to dislike it like why even make this thread with the premise "i havent tried dynamic out but i dont want it " like nigga go on sybil you dont need good ping for your bar rp that you are looking for or event hall, terry has high pop literally 80% of the day while synil and boghill are at dead pop, coincidence? i think not
Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #518337

>"I don't play on Terry."
>"Here is how I want to change Terry."

Let it be known Terry is filled to capacity during highpop with people who like playing on dynamic. And the lag argument is irrelevant because many Americans have better ping on Terry due to the servers moving to the West Coast.

My only complaint about dynamic mode is that rounds without any threat happen too often and they are very boring.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #518365

I'm on Terry pretty much exclusively these days (sadly nuBagil gives me awful ping. I miss you Bagil ;-;) and I will say that I'm not a fan of dynamic mixing antagonist types wildly - including creating some "impossible to win" antagonists like blood brothers who need to escape the station on revs.

Ideally I think dynamic should be in the secret mix, and the server put back to secret, but that said I do think it should be up to the players. The only issue is we don't have an easy way to poll just the players of one particular server at the moment - polls go to all 3 servers and it's not really noted which server you play on/voted from.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #518443

And of course, there would be the issue of someone logging onto another server to vote, and then logging off again.
Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #518461

I'm from America, and I fucking love Terry's dynamic. Originally I was kinda sad about it since I'd basically couldn't get on Terry for Dynamic except during Terry's low-pop hours(which due to how threat level works basically removes the chance of mixed antags), but over time it's gotten more popular and Terry still has mid and even high pops well beyond their former low-mid pop hours.
Now whether most of these players come from TG's other servers playing with lower ping for Dynamic, new players, or European's players returning from other servers, I dunno, but for some reason I think recently I've been having better ping on Terry than any of the American servers.

What I do know is, that Terry is more popular than it used to be.

If the Headmins/Admins want to set Terry to Secret and Bagil to Dynamic for a week to see how the playerbase responds with populations moving between servers and what would be "Just", that's fine, but canning a Dynamic server, nah.

Also the choices for a Poll to find out about it could just be=
  • I live in the European area and play on Terry for Dynamic
    I live in the European area and play on Terry for other reasons
    I live in the European area and do not play on Terry because of Dynamic
    I live in the European area and do not play on Terry for other reasons
    I do not live in the European area and play on Terry for Dynamic
    I do not live in the European area and play on Terry for other reasons
    I do not live in the European area and do not play Terry because of Dynamic
    I do not live in the European area and do not play on Terry because of other reasons.
There's the poll questions, that work at least reasonably well for it appearing on all servers.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #518496

Dynamic was never intended to be the sole round type, headadmins proceed at their own risk, we won't support the configuration with any urgency.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #518532

Arianya wrote:I'm on Terry pretty much exclusively these days (sadly nuBagil gives me awful ping. I miss you Bagil ;-;) and I will say that I'm not a fan of dynamic mixing antagonist types wildly - including creating some "impossible to win" antagonists like blood brothers who need to escape the station on revs.

Ideally I think dynamic should be in the secret mix, and the server put back to secret, but that said I do think it should be up to the players. The only issue is we don't have an easy way to poll just the players of one particular server at the moment - polls go to all 3 servers and it's not really noted which server you play on/voted from.

^
Or just fix this somehow it pisses me off that I get traitor and some random cult summons a god that moprhs me into a spiky thing
Also dynamic is already in the secret rotation
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #518562

I got permission to touch dynamic during the antag freeze, and I will be making some changes to try to make the gamemode less "everything at once all the time" and more "high threat could mean its just LOTS of traitors, or some times even traitors and cult together." The nukies and cult and revs and wizard and traitors has lost its novelty a bit, due to the frequency of that happening. This is mainly due to none of the rules scaling their cost, meaning that once you got 70 threat you might get one or two big cost ones (cult/revs/nukies/wiz/changeling) and traitors added on top.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #518588

skoglol wrote:I got permission to touch dynamic during the antag freeze, and I will be making some changes to try to make the gamemode less "everything at once all the time" and more "high threat could mean its just LOTS of traitors, or some times even traitors and cult together." The nukies and cult and revs and wizard and traitors has lost its novelty a bit, due to the frequency of that happening. This is mainly due to none of the rules scaling their cost, meaning that once you got 70 threat you might get one or two big cost ones (cult/revs/nukies/wiz/changeling) and traitors added on top.
PRAISE
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #518987

I play on Terry and every round is either revs or cults. Yes there are other antags mixed in but rev/cult will define the round so that's how it feels like.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #519002

If my thing goes through, solo antag rulesets will attempt to (and in most cases do so once or twice) scale up the amount of antags made based on spare threat. This should leave less room for the round enders on top of solo antags, while allowing it to still happen when the stars align. That's the hope at least, the rest can be fixed via config if needed.

I also want to make some changes to how revs ends in dynamic, since they aren't the only game in town most rounds. That might get pushed to a later PR though.