What counts as bug abuse and what doesnt?

Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

What counts as bug abuse and what doesnt?

Post by Critawakets » #518495

This thread is overdue for like a month but here goes.

What counts as bug abuse? I ask myself this because currently there is some pretty bad bugs. The two worst ones i can renember are both in engineering.

If someone uses RPEDs to build up infinite radiation, it is an exploit but does it count as bug abuse? Currently the only verdict i have is from Shaps, who says that since admins didnt PR a fix, it is not bug abuse. But then, if say, something that completely breaks the game is inherent to BYOND, would that mean that it is more of a feature?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Re: What counts as bug abuse and what doesnt?

Post by Ghilker » #518499

if you use the bug/exploit and is beneficial to the station, or totally harmless, you could use it

if you use the bug/exploit and is only beneficial to you and you use it to murderbone you'll have a bad time
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #518502

There is already pre-existing policy on this topic.

Here's some precedent from the headmin Armhulenn quoting Optimumtact on the previous bug abuse policy discussion "Bug abuse - is it ok and how much?"

Unless the current headmin team feels like changing this policy. There's your answer.
► Show Spoiler
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #518504

Alright so, putting BRPEDs with stock parts into the SM is bwoinkable.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #518508

Critawakets wrote:Alright so, putting BRPEDs with stock parts into the SM is bwoinkable.
Sadly no, lol. You should report it but nobody will get in trouble.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #518572

There was a more serious incident of bug abuse with uh... The "Crabpocalypse".

So, Essentially, a resource duplication bug with departmental lathes was discovered, and abused to hell, resulting in the station aquiring infinite money. Cargo eventually established a communist regime, the captain kept OCCASIOnALLY sending down crab drop pods, and the Space IRS was on our ass.

As soon as someone said "The Taxman Cometh" , The captain decided to fucking CARPETBOMB CARGO WITH CRAB DROP PODS MULTIPLE TIMES OVER, LAGGING THE SERVER TO SHIT.

I'm not sure if this is too funny to be bannable or too bannable to be funny.

Either way, bug abuse can NUKE rounds occasionally, so... it's an issue.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #518625

I don't consider it an exploit if it's been around for months and no code solution has been attempted

I've asked for clarification on the radiation behavior from maintainers in discord. Oranges replied that the coderbase is aware of it, does not consider it exploitative, but someone has been assigned to work on the issue
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Reyn

Post by Reyn » #518745

Is ordering 32 crates of military surplus gear via cargo using funds you got by abusing a resource duplication bug considered exploiting, when you do it for basically no reason.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #518759

Will you do it literally every single round?

Stop
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #518772

Also we don't "assign" people to work on things, but I bugged ninja to fix radiation
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #518831

are you using this to griff? ban
are you using this to give yourself a serious advantage? warn
are you using this to make something funny and innocent? secret rule
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #518833

Figuring this issue out is a 5 step process:

Step 1: What counts as a bug vs unbalanced feature

Step 2: What counts as abuse

Step 3: Start over from scratch because your definitions are still too broad/narrow.

Step 4: ...

Step 5: Profit!
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #519115

step 4 is argue the point over 300 million years on forums and githubs worldwide
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #519403

A codified rule will encourage our ever so lovely rules lawyers to toe the line.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #519426

ThanatosRa wrote:A codified rule will encourage our ever so lovely rules lawyers to toe the line.
Uncodified rules force you to play admin roulette with subjective rulings, rather than hard and fast rules that everyone can easily understand and enforce objectively.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #519428

IMO the rule should be that maintainers are required to comment on bug reports to decide whether they're exploits or not. Admins can rule based on that. Right now we have grey areas where major bugs exist without fixes for over a year, but are clearly not considered important enough to work on. Nobody should be banned for doing something that the coders don't care to mention.
Reyn

Post by Reyn » #519430

Should we have specific rulings related to certain extreme sorts of bugs being used? Such as ones which result in a round crashing being done intentionally, or mass duplication in terms of items leading to a crash related to yield, or the bug directly impacting the round in an extreme which ruins the day for multiple people? SPECIFICALLY stated?

Item duplication bugs should result in admins keeping watch over the station like it's goddamned 1984, especially when it comes to cargo. Give them an item duplication bug and they take an excuse to start a fucking communist revolution. I have more to say, but I can't think of how to put down those thoughts as text efficiently right now.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #519432

Reyn wrote:Should we have specific rulings related to certain extreme sorts of bugs being used? Such as ones which result in a round crashing being done intentionally, or mass duplication in terms of items leading to a crash related to yield, or the bug directly impacting the round in an extreme which ruins the day for multiple people? SPECIFICALLY stated?

Item duplication bugs should result in admins keeping watch over the station like it's goddamned 1984, especially when it comes to cargo. Give them an item duplication bug and they take an excuse to start a fucking communist revolution. I have more to say, but I can't think of how to put down those thoughts as text efficiently right now.
Every time I've found a wild bug I've checked git and it was uploaded ages ago. Usually the worst of the worst (which happen to be new, and not ignored) will get posted to git right after the round. We can reliably ask coders to make these determinations based on what they consider worth fixing.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #519437

If the abuse is going to be a major player of the round (see Jarek's TC dupe glitch) then the onus is on you, the user of the bug, to ask an admin prior to using it. Whether or not I, maintainer, call it a "wild" bug/not shouldn't have much bearing on whether or not the admin at the time is willing to let you use it to create a unique situation within the round. Sometimes bugs can be funny!

If you aren't going to report an interaction out of fear it might get widely used or whatever the reason, then you take the risk of being assumed that you're abusing said interaction and not reporting it.

Coders can just tell you if an interaction is a bug/feature (and we can give our 2 cents on the matter on how it affects the game), but it's ultimately up to the administration to determine whether or not it's fair game to use until fixed.

Admins tell you not to do something that's permissible by the current mechanics, Coders make it so you can't do something via changing the mechanics.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #519438

My question is: If you're not going to fix it, then isn't it a feature?

The most basic ruling on whether something should or shouldn't be allowed ingame is whether or not it's going to be patched.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #519443

Everything is a "feature" up until it gets changed/patched, which is why I said the determination of whether or not you're allowed to use an interaction is on administration side (which is why we're here and not in the coding subforum).

For example, the nuke op ship had a well known issue of being gameable for years. It was on admins (not coders) to tell players they can't purposefully look for the ship even though there were no tangible plans up until recently that it would be changed.

As a maintainer, I can tell you if something SHOULD be patched, and I can tell you if I personally am planning on patching it. Since I talk to a lot of people who also contribute, I can sometimes tell you if someone else is currently working on it/planning to. Every now and then I can tell you how to fix it too. That's it though.

I cannot say unless i'm personally handling it that an issue will be fixed within a certain timeframe. Even then, I cannot say that the PR will be finalized since it requires another person (be it the author or the person reviewing) to work together prior to merge so that the code adheres to the standards.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #519490

deedubya wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:A codified rule will encourage our ever so lovely rules lawyers to toe the line.
Uncodified rules force you to play admin roulette with subjective rulings, rather than hard and fast rules that everyone can easily understand and enforce objectively.
don't play roulette then?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #519838

you could just press f1 and ask if this sus interaction is permissible by the current admins online. If no one responds, assume it isn't.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #519848

oranges wrote:
deedubya wrote:
You're right, we should just all quit playing ss13 because the rules aren't codified properly. What a novel idea.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #522575

deedubya wrote:
oranges wrote:
deedubya wrote:
You're right, we should just all quit playing ss13 because the rules aren't codified properly. What a novel idea.
yes, I think you should quit deedubs, because you're actually mentally incapable of processing the fact most people know how to act like a good person
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #522849

I don't see how something being a bug vs an intended mechanic changes the math of allowing or banning that activity. Like the warden randomly killing people with a gun is obviously not abusing a bug, but it's banned anyway. Therefore if you abuse a bug to kill people, you're gonna get banned because killing people FNR is not allowed. Likewise if you abuse a bug to spawn a cookie in everyone's hand, you're probably not going to get banned because giving people cookies is perfectly acceptable.

Now of course there's some cases where the bug abuse is itself bannable, eg cheating/unfair advantage situations, but sorting that out tends to be extremely obviously cheating and/or top priority to fix.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #522914

it's bug abuse when someone you(the reader) dont like does it

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.