Talking mimes shouldn't be valid

deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Talking mimes shouldn't be valid

Post by deedubya » #519847

See title. Dumb rule that limits creative expression in a role meant to encourage it, and encourages players to continue to be validhunting assholes. I've never not seen a mime immediately get lynched upon this rule being introduced. Give players a target and an excuse to murder them, and no force imaginable is going to stop them. It also gives the mime an excuse to self-antag. Break vow of silence>murder anyone that gets within screen distance of you. You're justified because everyone else could potentially murder you at any moment, all because you had something to say.
Spoiler:
not even an ided post, and I've even occasionally taken part in the mime lynching, but it's still dumb as fuck
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Talking mimes shouldn't be valid

Post by Sandshark808 » #519856

Nobody really kills talking mimes if you talk for a good reason, but realistically why play mime if you want to talk? It's not called "Assistant Clown" or "I want to tide but in a mask," it's a mime.

BTW, if a mime fights back against the lynch mob they're in the wrong. If they assault people after speaking it's bannable. Being valid doesn't mean you automatically get to murder people.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #519857

why was this even introduced? it's dumb as fuck
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #519858

Sandshark808 wrote:Nobody really kills talking mimes if you talk for a good reason, but realistically why play mime if you want to talk? It's not called "Assistant Clown" or "I want to tide but in a mask," it's a mime.
I've seen a couple times where a Mime is killed by security because they chose to speak in their own defense. It's valid but kind of sad to see. Most Mimes at least seem to understand this point.

The real issue with talking Mimes being valid is when people think they heard the Mime speak or are falsely claiming the Mime spoke to get the in trouble. These are honestly a huge pain in the ass to deal with as it requires a bit of effort to determine if the guy is stupid or acting maliciously to get the Mime killed. In most cases I tell people who murder Mimes for this falsely that it's on them to be sure the Mime actually deserves the valid salad they are dishing out.

I wouldn't mind seeing talking Mimes going back to a shunned but not expressly valid to murder. Having these explicit policy exceptions telling players they can murder someone like this tend to cause the odd complication for little benefit.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #519859

Sandshark808 wrote:Nobody really kills talking mimes if you talk for a good reason
Yes, and nobody kills the friendly wizard either.

Do you even play the same game that the rest of us do?

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #519876

Don't pick the gimmick role if you don't want to play the gimmick.

Breaking your oath should be something you consider as having implied weight to it - the best way to enforce this in a round-based game where an "oath" is largely meaningless is making it dangerous for the player's continued participation in the round.

Giga does raise good points about things such as mistaken cases of mime's speaking, but largely these are no different to other possible "mistaken kill" scenarios - we generally can tell a good faith actor vs someone trying to slip under the radar.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #519881

Shoeless clowns should be treated the same way imo, fuck shoeless clowns. Not literally, you weirdo.

Mimes should have a limited PDA vocabulary too, preferably just emojis. Same with paper. If you can't mime it out, you dont want it enough.

Also fuck these mimes.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #519882

Clowns at least have possible gimmicks going for them without shoes, I've seen some good Jester/Griffin stuff before. The purpose of the clown is to be funny/entertaining, and shoes aren't necessarily a prerequisite.

But mimes only purpose is to be quiet and if they fail that they deserve to die.
[this space reserved]
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #519887

don't play the mute role if you don't wanna be mute, kind of like you don't play non humans if you want silicon protection roundstart
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #519889

deedubya wrote:
Sandshark808 wrote:Nobody really kills talking mimes if you talk for a good reason

I've been forced to talk as a mime (tortured by security) and also tried to get people robusted as a traitor with a mime target, but nobody goes after mimes who speak even though they're allowed to. I've also seen mimes talk and tried to gin up a witch hunt to swirlie them, and nobody responds. Maybe it's just Sybil culture?
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #519893

Sandshark808 wrote:
deedubya wrote:

I've been forced to talk as a mime (tortured by security) and also tried to get people robusted as a traitor with a mime target, but nobody goes after mimes who speak even though they're allowed to. I've also seen mimes talk and tried to gin up a witch hunt to swirlie them, and nobody responds. Maybe it's just Sybil culture?
I play exclusively on Sybil, and every time I've seen the mime talk, either in common or just in local, they've always been found dead sooner rather than later. Hell, one time recently on Kilo, there was a legitimate greytide trying to get into the HOP office. The mime said something, I don't even remember what it was. All I remember is that all the assistants immediately stopped trying to break into the HOPffice and proceeded to toolbox the mime so hard he didn't even know what happened, made peace with the HOP after they gave their thanks for removing the talking mime, then everyone moved on with their shift. It was amazing, yet still absolutely retarded.

Spoiler:
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #519903

I have no idea why we have such different experiences then.
teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #519904

deedubya wrote:
Sandshark808 wrote:
deedubya wrote:

I play exclusively on Sybil, and every time I've seen the mime talk, either in common or just in local, they've always been found dead sooner rather than later. Hell, one time recently on Kilo, there was a legitimate greytide trying to get into the HOP office. The mime said something, I don't even remember what it was. All I remember is that all the assistants immediately stopped trying to break into the HOPffice and proceeded to toolbox the mime so hard he didn't even know what happened, made peace with the HOP after they gave their thanks for removing the talking mime, then everyone moved on with their shift. It was amazing, yet still absolutely retarded.
lmao at sybil being the "rp" server
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #519926

there is no rule about mime speaking being valid/not valid

if you killed/have killed you just got baited
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #519929

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:there is no rule about mime speaking being valid/not valid

if you killed/have killed you just got baited
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 41&t=19699

Spoiler:
Analbifida
Byond Username: Analbifida

Post by Analbifida » #519941

Mimes have a ventriloquist dummy so they can speak without actually speaking, just use that and you won't get lynched.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #519981

Analbifida wrote:Mimes have a ventriloquist dummy so they can speak without actually speaking, just use that and you won't get lynched.
Mimes have never been able to use the dummy.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #519983

Iatots wrote:
Analbifida wrote:Mimes have a ventriloquist dummy so they can speak without actually speaking, just use that and you won't get lynched.
WHAT dummy?
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #519984

As long as this rule exists allowing mimes to break their oath is a dumb cop out and either one should be removed
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Analbifida
Byond Username: Analbifida

Post by Analbifida » #519990

Iatots wrote:
Seems I was wrong, I was pretty sure I had used it as a mime before. You can still use it if you break the vow as a workaround to not get lynched.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #519995

remember when mimes couldnt break their oaths
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #520045

Reyn wrote:
Iatots wrote:
WHAT dummy?
the one you hold in one hand and use .l or .r (depending on which hand) to speak through
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #520078

I don't think you can do something that makes you valid and then kill anyone who comes to kill you, unless you were already an antag.
crashmatusow
Byond Username: Crashmatusow

Post by crashmatusow » #520081

Have y’all tried not being fucking sociopaths?
Ivan Issaccs
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Ivanissaccs

Post by Ivan Issaccs » #520089

Perhaps a solution would be to have a Mime that breaks its oath gib upon doing so.

Keeps filthy fucking talking mimes off the server and denies valid hunters there salt for killing them.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #520101

It should be changed to permit escalation, not outright KoS in the same way it should be permissible to escalate against a doctor not healing you, an engineer not making power, etc.

Basically it makes the mime the instigator
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #520114

And you wonder why mimes are assholes.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #520122

Ivan Issaccs wrote:Perhaps a solution would be to have a Mime that breaks its oath gib upon doing so.

Keeps filthy fucking talking mimes off the server and denies valid hunters there salt for killing them.
Or just fully remove the action button
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #520135

can we make assistants who don't assist valid next?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #520137

deedubya wrote:See title. Dumb rule that limits creative expression in a role meant to encourage it
it does the opposite of this actually; it forces mimes to utilize their creative capabilities to actually pantomime stuff, which is, you know, the entire fucking point of the mime
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #520201

I want to point out that you want assistants that don't do anything but want to hold a mime to a standard of not-talking and kill him just for breaking it. Do you not see the absurdity of this?
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #520212

Gamarr wrote:I want to point out that you want assistants that don't do anything but want to hold a mime to a standard of not-talking and kill him just for breaking it. Do you not see the absurdity of this?
remov asestunt
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #520554

No? Assistant is the basic stress free job. Mime is a unique job which is based around the one obligation. Anyone not doing that one thing is wasting the only slot. Not that that matters, because this is dumb.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #520967

an obligation decreed by whom? It's permissible via the code...
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #520978

I feel bad for removing my suspenders and beret, let alone breaking the vow.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #520983

NecromancerAnne wrote:I feel bad for removing my suspenders and beret, let alone breaking the vow.
Clowns who take off their shoes deserve to have their feet removed.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #521143

Shitter mimes who speak deserve death.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #521168

The proper punishment is to forcefully cut their tongue out.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #521260

Why pick the gimmick job if you don’t want to play the gimmick lol

Talking mimes deserve death
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #521351

why pick the job meant to be used as a newbie role to just be a general nuisance / hunt antags / gather gear so when antags reveal you can proceed to hunt them?

Assistants who don't assist deserve death
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #521377

Cobby wrote:why pick the job meant to be used as a newbie role to just be a general nuisance / hunt antags / gather gear so when antags reveal you can proceed to hunt them?

This but unironically
► Show Spoiler
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #521538

Cobby wrote:why pick the job meant to be used as a newbie role to just be a general nuisance / hunt antags / gather gear so when antags reveal you can proceed to hunt them?

assistant isnt a gimmick job and has no general expectation of anyone. if anything, people expect assistants to shit up the place.

mimes are expected to pantomime stuff and NOT TALK. Ask anyone, ss13 player or not, what they expect of a mime. Not only will they mention stuff like the classic invisible box, they'll 99% mentino that mimes dont talk.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #521539

Assistants are literally given a link to various gimmicks they can do instead of assisting in their spawn text upon joining.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #521660

terranaut wrote:The proper punishment is to forcefully cut their tongue out.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #521747

Mines breaking their vow should be hit with such a heavy mood debuff no amount of mindbreaker and space drug should make them neutral.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #521748

Davidchan wrote:Mines breaking their vow should be hit with such a heavy mood debuff no amount of mindbreaker and space drug should make them neutral.
Or buckshot. Buckshot works too.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #521799

Davidchan wrote:Mines breaking their vow should be hit with such a heavy mood debuff no amount of mindbreaker and space drug should make them neutral.
this

speaking isn't "acting like an antag" anyway so I dunno where nonantags get the idea they can just murder them unless they want to argue that the mime has attacked them by speaking somehow therefore it's escalation
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #521815

A clown that doesn't honk isn't valid.
An assistant that doesn't assist isn't valid.
An engineer that doesn't fix shit isn't valid.
A doctor that doesn't heal people isn't valid.
A chemist that doesn't make medicine isn't valid.
A scientist that doesn't do research isn't valid.
A cook that doesn't cook isn't valid.
A mime that doesn't stay silent is valid.

Where's the consistency? It's pretty obvious from every single other job on the station that not doing your job the way you're expected to isn't a crime worthy of death/lynching. Yet we make an exception for what is essentially the most harmless role on the station when done "incorrectly".

Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #521819

deedubya wrote:A clown that doesn't honk isn't valid.
An assistant that doesn't assist isn't valid.
An engineer that doesn't fix shit isn't valid.
A doctor that doesn't heal people isn't valid.
A chemist that doesn't make medicine isn't valid.
A scientist that doesn't do research isn't valid.
A cook that doesn't cook isn't valid.
A mime that doesn't stay silent is valid.

Where's the consistency? It's pretty obvious from every single other job on the station that not doing your job the way you're expected to isn't a crime worthy of death/lynching. Yet we make an exception for what is essentially the most harmless role on the station when done "incorrectly".
To provide a counterargument, if someone doesn't do their job gets demoted:

A demoted clown is just clumsy. Plus, it's not uncommon for unfunny clowns to get lynched
A demoted assistant is just a permabrig resident.
A demoted engineer, doctor, chemist and scientist has no special abilities.
A demoted cook has an ability that can only be used in the workspace that he no longer has access to (and presumably wasn't using before he was demoted)
A demoted mime will still have the ability to retake their vow of silence when it suits them, granting them access to annoying mime powers no matter what IC action is taken.

The mime is really one of the only jobs that has innate powers that you can't truly take away, and these powers are tied to whether the mime speaks or not. Is killing your coworker for speaking weird from an RP perspective? Yes. But it'll have to be replaced with serious IC consequences that go beyond a temporary inconvenience.
► Show Spoiler
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #521870

Farquaar wrote:
deedubya wrote:snip
To provide a counterargument, if someone doesn't do their job gets demoted:

A demoted clown is just clumsy. Plus, it's not uncommon for unfunny clowns to get lynched
A demoted assistant is just a permabrig resident.
A demoted engineer, doctor, chemist and scientist has no special abilities.
A demoted cook has an ability that can only be used in the workspace that he no longer has access to (and presumably wasn't using before he was demoted)
A demoted mime will still have the ability to retake their vow of silence when it suits them, granting them access to annoying mime powers no matter what IC action is taken.

The mime is really one of the only jobs that has innate powers that you can't truly take away, and these powers are tied to whether the mime speaks or not. Is killing your coworker for speaking weird from an RP perspective? Yes. But it'll have to be replaced with serious IC consequences that go beyond a temporary inconvenience.
The punishment for breaking the vow is being locked out of your griffwalls for a not insignificant amount of time until you can renew your vow. In fact, that just made me think up a fairly decent code solution: The timer for being able to re-take your vow of silence resets every time you use the "say" verb, rather than it just being a static timer starting when you broke it in the first place.

Also, lynching the clown without proper escalation is still against the rules, so I'm not sure how that applies as a point in support of this.

Spoiler: