"Don't Ahelp if You're Not directly involved." On observer ahelps

Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

"Don't Ahelp if You're Not directly involved." On observer ahelps

Post by Reyn » #519967

So, I've had a few ahelps on issues of... varying degrees of severity simply closed out of th emerit of me only observing them as a spectator/ghost, and them not Directly affecting or involving me. In fact, I've had this come up on occasion when someone did something which did TECHNICALLY involve me post mortem.

Seeing as some people don't seem to ahelp some issues, and the issues I'm ahelping when I have this pushed on me tends to be a continuous issue, such as a head of staff breaking into the ai upload to purge the ai and upload meme laws, or some sec officer intentionally setting a hacked holodeck to something dangerous, Or so on, I'm wondering if this is a fair ruling. As much as I'd like to say that i'm in the wrong for ahelping and putting complaints in other people's mouths, Sometimes the victim does not ahelp or know WHO to ahelp, or there is something which is a long term problem.

My rambling aside, the point still stands. Should we have ahelps from observers which saw a situation unfold be ignored? Or should The admins actually consider these ahelps. I don't even know why there's rambling about not being involved but, here's also a chance for me to learn why observer ahelping often just immediately gets closed.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Re: "Don't Ahelp if You're Not directly involved." On observer ahelps

Post by teepeepee » #519972

have you tried playing the game instead of mini-modding?
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #519975

snitches get stitches
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #519977

The main reason we discourage non-involved people from adminhelping is because of the ultimatum that you don't have the context that the players might. The best example I can give of this is when two non-antagonist players are antagonising one another and have an escalating conflict that leads to the defendant or victim's death. On the surface, you might think this specific scenario you've witnessed violates the rules, but consider: what if the two players enjoyed that conflict? If this was the case, and we then banned the instigator, what would we get out of it?

In a sense, a lot of in-character conflict is treated like this from an admin perspective. When I'm observing and see two people killing each other, and neither are antagonists, I don't involve myself in their case unless one of them directly adminhelps. For all intents and purposes, SS13 is a conflict driven roleplaying game, and that experience might be the highlight of their round. The main exceptions to this motif is when a non-antagonist is doing something that effects a large population such as creating harmful viruses, flooding plasma, sabotaging the engine, and blowing up areas of the station.

We discourage uninvolved parties to adminhelp because we'd rather not bring up an issue on someone's behalf if the individual doesn't actually have a problem with the behaviour, or doesn't feel it necessary to involve admin intervention. It is very counterproductive to be angry for someone else. Players need to be able to create their own fun, and the more we limit that preemptively, the more players will shy away from trying to create meaningful conflict.

I hope that explains why many of us might do this. You should spend more time on playing and enjoying the game--let the administration worry about the administrating!
Last edited by Okand37 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a new line cause its a point I think is good!
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #519982

Okand37 wrote:The main reason we discourage non-involved people from adminhelping is because of the ultimatum that you don't have the context that the players might. The best example I can give of this is when two non-antagonist players are antagonising one another and have an escalating conflict that leads to the defendant or victim's death. On the surface, you might think this specific scenario you've witnessed violates the rules, but consider: what if the two players enjoyed that conflict? If this was the case, and we then banned the instigator, what would we get out of it?

In a sense, a lot of in-character conflict is treated like this from an admin perspective. When I'm observing and see two people killing each other, and neither are antagonists, I don't involve myself in their case unless one of them directly adminhelps. For all intents and purposes, SS13 is a conflict driven roleplaying game, and that experience might be the highlight of their round. The main exceptions to this motif is when a non-antagonist is doing something that effects a large population such as creating harmful viruses, flooding plasma, sabotaging the engine, and blowing up areas of the station.

We discourage uninvolved parties to adminhelp because we'd rather not bring up an issue on someone's behalf if the individual doesn't actually have a problem with the behaviour, or doesn't feel it necessary to involve admin intervention. It is very counterproductive to be angry for someone else. Players need to be able to create their own fun, and the more we limit that preemptively, the more players will shy away from trying to create meaningful conflict.

I hope that explains why many of us might do this. You should spend more time on playing and enjoying the game--let the administration worry about the administrating!
Got it! Still, I might need to start up a new thread on the culture of not ahelping issues which people ARE involved in due to ASSUMING the person is antag, or not caring because it's normal or not shitcurity. Sorry to bring this up!
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #519997

Reyn wrote: Got it! Still, I might need to start up a new thread
i disagree
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #520000

I was AI but thats basically observing. I once saw some guy repeatedly walk into somebody who was afk and had been standing there for at least 5 minutes of me being aware of them being there with a non-help intent, pushing them out of Escape and into space without once touching them and leaving a fingerprint or combat loggable action. I ahelped that since I figured an antag would just grab grab throw if they wanted to kill an afk target already in escape. Postround reveals the guy was an antag but I think this is a pretty valid case of ahelping without being involved and not exactly minimodding.
I do agree that "wtf mime killed clown?? valid??????" ahelps are pointless at best and a waste of time at worst if you happened to watch the last 3 seconds of the fight just after hopping off the arrival shuttler.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #520044

Reyn wrote:Got it! Still, I might need to start up a new thread
Dear god make it stop