ITT: We lament over all the dead coding PRs that were pretty great

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

ITT: We lament over all the dead coding PRs that were pretty great

Post by Shadowflame909 » #519651

I miss dwarves. Face the wrath of my skewium sword

Also chameleon guns are dead. Because they kept crashing the server and no one knew why. That sucks.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/36185

^ Goofball's bizzare adventure that got closed because his computer died

Last old PR that needs to be mentioned

Mechanics. Where engineers and arrival space technicians could build space crafts with lasers that can fly around space.

a sec job to chase them also existed.

It exists on paradise and junk, but the /tg/ variant was pretty great as well. sad it didn't get full merged.
► Show Spoiler
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: ITT: We lament over all the dead coding PRs that were pretty great

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #519658

Shadowflame909 wrote:https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/36185

^ Goofball's bizzare adventure that got closed because his computer died
Get goofball's permission and start where he left off. It's not like the other examples where the creator wanted it gone, it crashes the game, or is really hard to fucking pull off.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #519660

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/43108

Golem commander bundle

No maintainer wanted to look at it. Sad.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #519662

Kryson wrote:https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/43108

Golem commander bundle

No maintainer wanted to look at it. Sad.
The fact that they openly said they wouldn't review it just to screw him is really lame.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #519812

Engipoints would have been a glorious addition that made the Department relevant beyond being a WMD depot for antags and free insulated gloves/toolbelt for would-be assistants too lazy to steal them.

The repair vehicle, Engi-shuttle, mannable/aimable emitters, the atmos market, remote shieldgen, advanced RCD/RLD, construction bomb, dance machine, etc. was the product of 100's of hours of work and was all fully functional without giving Engineering anything particularly potent in combat (emitters were just about it and they were mostly for blobs).

Then about a year later I tried a Box update that added directional map/ruin loading along with randomized ruin templates, several new flavor items, a THUNDERDOME(tm) Construction Device, cozy lounges for various departments, constructable steam vents (block vision but otherwise passable), and using the aforementioned upgraded map loading I gave Box maint several randomized rooms that could turn out as anything from an abandoned bathroom to an overgrown garden. It also included an art gallery where people could mount persistent canvases/photos but unfortunately persistent canvases had big issues with BYOND and would cause a crash on a busy server. After the crash I removed the canvases but still struggled to get anyone to testmerge and there was no interest in reviewing it - so all of the finished features ended up DED.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #519819

Oldman Robustin wrote:Engipoints would have been a glorious addition that made the Department relevant beyond being a WMD depot for antags and free insulated gloves/toolbelt for would-be assistants too lazy to steal them.

The repair vehicle, Engi-shuttle, mannable/aimable emitters, the atmos market, remote shieldgen, advanced RCD/RLD, construction bomb, dance machine, etc. was the product of 100's of hours of work and was all fully functional without giving Engineering anything particularly potent in combat (emitters were just about it and they were mostly for blobs).

Then about a year later I tried a Box update that added directional map/ruin loading along with randomized ruin templates, several new flavor items, a THUNDERDOME(tm) Construction Device, cozy lounges for various departments, constructable steam vents (block vision but otherwise passable), and using the aforementioned upgraded map loading I gave Box maint several randomized rooms that could turn out as anything from an abandoned bathroom to an overgrown garden. It also included an art gallery where people could mount persistent canvases/photos but unfortunately persistent canvases had big issues with BYOND and would cause a crash on a busy server. After the crash I removed the canvases but still struggled to get anyone to testmerge and there was no interest in reviewing it - so all of the finished features ended up DED.
I loved the randomized ruin template concept, and tried to use the code from it for a station goal thing, but never got it working without bugs.

Steam vents was still a top tier idea, even if some of the other things you included were questionable.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #519821

I would like to see the randomized rooms return. Sounds like an awesome feature, especially with multiz. We could have an awesome maint exploration level below the station.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #519836

Not feedback of features so moved to general
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #519849

cobby we must know what PRs you liked that are dead
► Show Spoiler
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #519862

I'm pretty sure xhuis made a shadowling PR that reworked it into a solo main antag at one point. Got cancelled for the Nightmare side antag I think. Shame, since a new real solo antag would have been cooler imo
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #519902

Oldman Robustin wrote:Then about a year later I tried a Box update that added directional map/ruin loading along with randomized ruin templates, several new flavor items, a THUNDERDOME(tm) Construction Device, cozy lounges for various departments, constructable steam vents (block vision but otherwise passable), and using the aforementioned upgraded map loading I gave Box maint several randomized rooms that could turn out as anything from an abandoned bathroom to an overgrown garden. It also included an art gallery where people could mount persistent canvases/photos but unfortunately persistent canvases had big issues with BYOND and would cause a crash on a busy server. After the crash I removed the canvases but still struggled to get anyone to testmerge and there was no interest in reviewing it - so all of the finished features ended up DED.
I'd love to see this, honestly. Especially with all the ssethtide newfags complaining about Box lately, it'd definitely give some more life to the OG main map.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #519960

Nabski wrote: I loved the randomized ruin template concept, and tried to use the code from it for a station goal thing, but never got it working without bugs.

Steam vents was still a top tier idea, even if some of the other things you included were questionable.
I think I saw someone try to add directional map loading too and said they couldn't get it working.

As I recall, map loading is changed every so often and that means the code becomes obsolete since it obviously wasn't being updated to reflect the changes. It had to accommodate two different map file types and it took a lot of testing to make sure the tiles were loading not only in the right order but also rotating them and all the objects on them correctly.

If I were to go back and try against I suspect I'd have to start completely from scratch.

Speaking of directional stuff, I'm a little bummed we never tested directional flashlights. I think it remains a really good IMMERSIVE idea for making dark places spooky, I really liked being able to "point" the flashlight just by clicking somewhere on screen too. The only issue I had left is that I could never quite perfect the lighting "cone", since the code had to accommodate lights of varying strength and range - some of the cones would end up looking irregular. I heard lighting code is being updated or something too so I'm reluctant to revisit that as well... but if I could do it again I would make it so that where the light's destination is where it is brightest and the "cone" is more dim (ex: this stockart I just dredged up https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... RtQRFT7w&s). The downside is that your tile is still dark unless you point the light at yourself or the floor next to you, but that makes it more realistic and solves the issue I was having with flashlight illumination being inconsistent on nearby tiles because of how BYOND lighting works (it only checks corners of turf).
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #520013

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Nabski wrote: I loved the randomized ruin template concept, and tried to use the code from it for a station goal thing, but never got it working without bugs.

I think I saw someone try to add directional map loading too and said they couldn't get it working.

As I recall, map loading is changed every so often and that means the code becomes obsolete since it obviously wasn't being updated to reflect the changes. It had to accommodate two different map file types and it took a lot of testing to make sure the tiles were loading not only in the right order but also rotating them and all the objects on them correctly.

If I were to go back and try against I suspect I'd have to start completely from scratch.
I got the loading to work, the issue was that I tied the loading into when it was announced and unlocked, but when it was a greenshift it unlocked all types. The answer was going to be some kind of base "spawned=0" check, but then I fucked up other things.

My first attempt was to follow closer to your footsteps and do it with ruins and that was just a nightmare, I ended up using a stationary location template like used for maint loot spawners.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #520032

deedubya wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:Then about a year later I tried a Box update that added directional map/ruin loading along with randomized ruin templates, several new flavor items, a THUNDERDOME(tm) Construction Device, cozy lounges for various departments, constructable steam vents (block vision but otherwise passable), and using the aforementioned upgraded map loading I gave Box maint several randomized rooms that could turn out as anything from an abandoned bathroom to an overgrown garden. It also included an art gallery where people could mount persistent canvases/photos but unfortunately persistent canvases had big issues with BYOND and would cause a crash on a busy server. After the crash I removed the canvases but still struggled to get anyone to testmerge and there was no interest in reviewing it - so all of the finished features ended up DED.
I'd love to see this, honestly. Especially with all the ssethtide newfags complaining about Box lately, it'd definitely give some more life to the OG main map.
yeah
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #520325

So you're saying the loading worked but the issue was how to implement it?

As I recall I made it so that the functionality was controlled with a new argument for loading any map/template, with the default being the existing orientation (which was considered 'East' I think), so if you added a "South" argument it would load turned 90 degrees to the right with all the objects oriented to the right as well. What do you mean by greenshift?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #520338

Greenshift aka extended. It enables all station goals for purchase.

I tossed the loading and template selection/loading with the activation/announcement section.

I didn't bother with the rotation portion of things, it was just remapped to where the vault was and the vault was remapped to cargo.