On felinids

General SS13 Chat
YuiY1997
Byond Username: YuiY1997

On felinids

Post by YuiY1997 » #520162

I've only been playing for around 6 months, probably even less. I realize felinids can no longer be selected as a playable race. This was decided on a vote from november of last year (I think?). Wasn't only one of the four options to actually keep felinids as a race that can be played by everyone? Isn't that kind of rigged? What was the actual reasoning behind it? I hear people kind of thought that the cats were metagaming but it doesn't make much sense to remove a race for that reason since it's not going to stop people from metagaming. I've heard rumors that there's another vote happening this November. That vote's going to be more straightforward, right?
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: On felinids

Post by Sandshark808 » #520164

In the dark, all cats are gay.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #520165

im going to rig it even harder this time
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #520167

the reason was cat-girl statics are incredibly robust and mean and we didn't want any more of them

They are now few and weak in power.

It's like having a dragon as a main race. Power scales tip in the extremes.

But with only like 4 dragons. Then everything is cool.

Depends on the lore all in all. 40 dragons can be quite chill.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #520168

hahahahhahahahahhahaaaaaaahahhahahaha
[this space reserved]
YuiY1997
Byond Username: YuiY1997

Post by YuiY1997 » #520170

oranges wrote:im going to rig it even harder this time
Wait so did you actually rig it or is that just a meme? I've mostly heard about this all in shitpost banter so it's hard for me to tell what's actually a thing and what's just autistic screeching/bants
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #520175

aahhhahahahahahahhahahahahhaaahhhaaa
[this space reserved]
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #520177

They were never meant to exist.
► Show Spoiler
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #520179

More of a sincere answer is that felinids were controversial from their original release because a lot of people believed they were catering unnecessarily to weaboo anime culture and that the race didn't fit SS13 lore nor lend itself in any material way to gameplay. A lot of felinid players feeding into the often fetishized nature of a "neko" archetype using very trite and frequently obnoxious gimmicks (replacing all the walls of the shower room with glass and loudly drawing attention to one's nudity insodoing) did nothing to help general perception of the race.

They were removed as a selectable race in the aftermath of a series of votes on complete removal which came far too close to a draw for either side to be properly satisfied with the success of the other. Veteran players who already had a felinid character being entitled to keep those while preventing any new ones from creation should, in theory, have offered comfort to those on the pro-felinid side, while also promising to the anti-felinids that there would be no new ones which, in time as more veterans retired from the game, would ultimately mean the extinction of the race.

It's not hard to surmise that an additional motive for this compromise is that after the gradual decline of felinid activity, when next a vote was held a larger majority would be in favor of outright removing what would be seen by then (read: now) as an obsolete feature.

The Ssethtide was pretty unexpected and introducing a whole wave of new players before saying "hey look at this elitist veteran thing that you can't have ever" is a good way of having that exclusivity repealed, so if you as a new player look forward to someday being called a furfag and having a doctor morphine you and forcibly remove your ears, then vote in favor of felinid return during the next poll.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #520182

man adds tattoo system, allowing decals to appear over human mobs -> man adds cat ears and tail, sprites borrowed from the cat ears hat, as a proof of concept -> some absolute buffoon enabled this proof of concept because they are stupid -> idiots are now running around as catpeople -> catpeople receive snowflake code that eventually makes them their own race

catpeople were never even supposed to exist, and we STILL DONT HAVE TATTOOS
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #520186

PKPenguin321 wrote:man adds tattoo system, allowing decals to appear over human mobs -> man adds cat ears and tail, sprites borrowed from the cat ears hat, as a proof of concept -> some absolute buffoon enabled this proof of concept because they are stupid -> idiots are now running around as catpeople -> catpeople receive snowflake code that eventually makes them their own race

catpeople were never even supposed to exist, and we STILL DONT HAVE TATTOOS
stealth pr it is
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #520192

This is now a "how to mess with catgirl starics" thread.

Did you know they automatically run towards laser pointer dots? If you feed them chocolate, they will get organ damage and vomit everything in their stomachs.
Analbifida
Byond Username: Analbifida

Post by Analbifida » #520200

Remove cats.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #520202

does Yui know how IRV polls work
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #520209

the joy you get from playing a catgirl is immensly less than the headache admins (particularly headmins) and oranges has to deal with regarding what extent they're enabled to.

Everytime it's a shitfest and not worth the effort so people can avoid just getting catears from the theatre.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #520211

The catgirl clique is forcing me to shill felinids.
Orange man bad, cats good.
Please send help, they have my family.
Snuffleupagus

Post by Snuffleupagus » #520216

Cobby wrote:the joy you get from playing a catgirl is immensly less than the headache admins (particularly headmins) and oranges has to deal with regarding what extent they're enabled to.

Everytime it's a shitfest and not worth the effort so people can avoid just getting catears from the theatre.
I find exactly half of your statement to be pure bullshit. Admins might have to deal with it. (People being pricks and dosing you with morphine to remove your ears.) that’s an easy fix. You change policy. It’s the same reason you can’t gulag lizard folk.

Oranges causes this chaos. He seems to revolve around it. Never plays the game. And stirs shit within the codebase when he gets bored. I was around for the cat polls (2.0) this is the second time he’s done this and it was maybe 3-4 people bitching on the forums. Oranges retroactively polled it and like a retard fucked up the wording on the first poll which retroactively caused him to lose the vote and created a second poll which was biased in the other direction.

Iirc at the time headmins tried to tell him to get fucked and he pointed at his: Get Out Of Jail Free Code Maintainer card.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #520221

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Cobby wrote:the joy you get from playing a catgirl is immensly less than the headache admins (particularly headmins) and oranges has to deal with regarding what extent they're enabled to.

I find exactly half of your statement to be pure bullshit. Admins might have to deal with it. (People being pricks and dosing you with morphine to remove your ears.) that’s an easy fix. You change policy. It’s the same reason you can’t gulag lizard folk.

Oranges causes this chaos. He seems to revolve around it. Never plays the game. And stirs shit within the codebase when he gets bored. I was around for the cat polls (2.0) this is the second time he’s done this and it was maybe 3-4 people bitching on the forums. Oranges retroactively polled it and like a retard fucked up the wording on the first poll which retroactively caused him to lose the vote and created a second poll which was biased in the other direction.

Iirc at the time headmins tried to tell him to get fucked and he pointed at his: Get Out Of Jail Free Code Maintainer card.
????????????
so much wrong with this
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #520222

No matter what your opinion on coderbus is, felinids belong in the brapp chamber.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #520243

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:

????????????
so much wrong with this
well duh, it's snuffle

timeline:
Nervere makes removal PR (as a joke apparently)
More support than I expected
Ask headadmins to make poll because this shit is getting annoying
Nervere tells me he wont do it because it would cause drama (very non hypocritical of you)
I make poll to get info
According to neds statbus, removal wins
Headadmins now tell me to make a proper poll with correct wording (okay I guess, strange to be suddenly interested)
ned & mso inform me there was an issue with the poll and that keep actually won
okay I guess, headadmins try to tell me this should be the result, but im already committed to a new poll
new poll formed, agree all question and answer options with headadmins
poll runs
result is given to be slight majority of remove
big argument about irv, show clearly that with the two alternate options removed in special first rounds the outcome does not change
discuss with headadmins, compromise reached
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #520245

oh man i remember making that pr 15 minutes before having to drive to uni

good times
retired ss13 coderman
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #520247

The whole controversy was stupid and still remains stupid
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #520248

Delete catgirls and give us tramp stamps instead.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #520251

Anonmare wrote:The whole controversy was stupid and still remains stupid
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #520255

I thought we were still a few months out from this scab being picked?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
TothBrush

Post by TothBrush » #520291

I still cannot understand why so many people got so butthurt over a cosmetic change akin to basically changing your hair color or skin color.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #520763

TothBrush wrote:I still cannot understand why so many people got so butthurt over a cosmetic change akin to basically changing your hair color or skin color.
Skub
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #520765

Now that the anniversary is coming, we should make another poll about c*ts
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #520771

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Now that the anniversary is coming, we should make another poll about c*ts
And this time delete them fully :^)
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Twaticus

Post by TWATICUS » #520773

Wowwwww, you meow like a cat! That means you are one, right? Shut the fuck up. If you really want to be put on a leash and treated like a domestic animal then that’s called a fetish, not “quirky” or “cute”. What part of you seriously thinks that any part of acting like a feline establishes a reputation of appreciation? Is it your lack of any defining aspect of personality that urges you to resort to shitty representations of cats to create an illusion of meaning in your worthless life? Wearing “cat ears” in the shape of headbands further notes the complete absence of human attribution to your false sense of personality, such as intelligence or charisma in any form or shape. Where do you think this mindset’s gonna lead you? You think you’re funny, random, quirky even? What makes you think that acting like a fucking cat will make a goddamn hyena laugh? I, personally, feel extremely sympathetic towards you as your only escape from the worthless thing you call your existence is to pretend to be an animal. But it’s not a worthy choice to assert this horrifying fact as a dominant trait, mainly because personality traits require an initial personality to lay their foundation on. You’re not worthy of anybody’s time, so go fuck off, “cat-girl”.
ImageImageImage
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #520970

Wowwwww, you meow like a cat! That means you are one, right? Shut the fuck up. If you really want to be put on a leash and treated like a domestic animal then that’s called a fetish, not “quirky” or “cute”. What part of you seriously thinks that any part of acting like a feline establishes a reputation of appreciation? Is it your lack of any defining aspect of personality that urges you to resort to shitty representations of cats to create an illusion of meaning in your worthless life? Wearing “cat ears” in the shape of headbands further notes the complete absence of human attribution to your false sense of personality, such as intelligence or charisma in any form or shape. Where do you think this mindset’s gonna lead you? You think you’re funny, random, quirky even? What makes you think that acting like a fucking cat will make a goddamn hyena laugh? I, personally, feel extremely sympathetic towards you as your only escape from the worthless thing you call your existence is to pretend to be an animal. But it’s not a worthy choice to assert this horrifying fact as a dominant trait, mainly because personality traits require an initial personality to lay their foundation on. You’re not worthy of anybody’s time, so go fuck off, “cat-girl”.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #523660

hahahhahahahahHAHAHAHAHhahaaaa
[this space reserved]
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #523695

id get on a felinid if you know what I mean
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #523730

Maximum chaos run
Bring them back

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Reeeee
Byond Username: LibbySnow

Post by Reeeee » #523740

*wag
signnatrire
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #523769

Plasmaman kills station just by existing? I sleep

Felinid does *wag? Real shit
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #523770

Lazengann wrote:id get on a felinid if you know what I mean
more detail please
► Show Spoiler
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #523790

oranges wrote:-snip-
The moral of this story is referendums are bad. So why are we having another one?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #523800

More controversial than brexit
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #523805

is it really THAT hard to get kitty ears from the theatre
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
Reeeee
Byond Username: LibbySnow

Post by Reeeee » #523806

i do gotta ask doe, does anyone even give enough of a fuck to do anything about it? I mean, actually give enough of a fuck what other people are choosing to play as to go out of their way to disable it?
Wierdos, go back to the sandbox and fight with your fellow kiddies about how the green shovel is better than red and how you are going to start kicking their sandcastles for it.

Anyone on either side of this is automatically facing a age ban since you can't be above 18 and care. *wag
signnatrire
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #523815

you must have had a rough childhood
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #523829

ThanatosRa wrote:Maximum chaos run
Bring them back
I'm low on salt intake help

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #523907

MisterPerson wrote:
The moral of this story is referendums are bad. So why are we having another one?
the issue was never settled the first time, too close to call, the hope was that after 1 year everyone would have settled the fuck down and we could have a sensible outcome
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #523910

Plapatin wrote:is it really THAT hard to get kitty ears from the theatre
if us God fearing spacemen have our way, there won't BE kitty ears once this is over
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #523914

wesoda25 wrote:
Plapatin wrote:is it really THAT hard to get kitty ears from the theatre
if us God fearing spacemen have our way, there won't BE kitty ears once this is over
I actually like the kitty ears headband
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #523930

expecting tg players to behave sensibly lol
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #523985

I voted remove because I believe it'll bring more salt than keep
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #524284

Removing felinids isn't gonna drive away the people playing them, yknow. Also keeping them would bring more salt because just look at the masses screaming remove compared to keep
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #524312

oranges wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:
the issue was never settled the first time, too close to call, the hope was that after 1 year everyone would have settled the fuck down and we could have a sensible outcome
Settling this via referendum is impossible. Like if readding felinids wins 51%-49%, that's close enough that the removal people are gonna whine and complain because they think they still have a shot at getting their way. And vice versa if removal wins by a narrow margin. The only "sensible" outcome possible is an overwhelming victory that forces the opposition to concede the issue as not worth the effort to change and move on to something else.

The correct way to solve this issue is to pick an option and say "this is what we're doing, end of story". At this point I would literally rather have "my" side lose this way rather than relitigate this bullshit constantly.
Mickyan wrote:More controversial than brexit
I wasn't gonna say it but since you already have, I suggest everyone draw the parallels here.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter