Dragging Around Birdboat

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Dragging Around Birdboat

Post by Farquaar » #518525

Vomitgoose is a fairly recent addition to the station's menagerie. For those of you who don't know, the goose vomits in incredibly large quantities, and it's fairly common to see entire hallways coated in vomit. Some players get kicks out of dragging it around the station and covering as much floorspace in barf as possible.

My question is as follows: Where does killing this vile beast sit in escalation policy? On one hand, Birdboat is clearly a pest, like a wire-chewing mouse. On the other, some people are violently protective of it. Is using Birdboat to purposefully spread vomit all over the station an instigation of conflict? Or is it instigation to kill Birdboat with the goal of halting the barftide?

► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Dragging Around Birdboat

Post by Sandshark808 » #518527

Birdboat can't vomit on command, right?

Also it's not a department pet so killing it is fine. And anyway vomit doesn't cause miasma last I checked so it's just a visual nuisance (and free snacks for lizards!!).
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #518530

Sandshark808 wrote:Birdboat can't vomit on command, right?

Also it's not a department pet so killing it is fine. And anyway vomit doesn't cause miasma last I checked so it's just a visual nuisance (and free snacks for lizards!!).
He vomits when you feed him though so you can just feed him over and over again with the food that he vomits back out
crashmatusow
Byond Username: Crashmatusow

Post by crashmatusow » #518535

Let’s not validate any more killbaiting
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #518539

Killing Birdboat is an act of mercy
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #518550

Sandshark808 wrote:Also it's not a department pet so killing it is fine.
Birdboat is a department pet. He's specifically located in maint bar because he's the assistant pet.

That being said, killing department pets has never actually been codified as valid or not valid. I've never been bwoinked for killing Ian, nor have I been bwoinked for killing/spacing someone that killed Ian. It just seems like one of those unwritten rules. If you kill Birdboat, you should expect to get lynched by anyone that actually cares, but you should still be allowed to kill him.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #518554

I would think killign animals to be in the same position as "sprading WGW over intercom", or
"Viro fucked up and released a virus". Not a bannable offense, but an action that will lead to rightful IC lynches.

Now, if Clown is the one doing it, would it be considered as a prank, or as a lynch-worthy prank?
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #518561

If you kill someones pet, you are instigating conflict. Escalation rules follow.

That said, even a dead birdboat will eat and vomit, so unless you butcher why bother.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #519353

Calomel wrote:I would think killign animals to be in the same position as "sprading WGW over intercom", or
"Viro fucked up and released a virus". Not a bannable offense, but an action that will lead to rightful IC lynches.

Now, if Clown is the one doing it, would it be considered as a prank, or as a lynch-worthy prank?
Well the standing headmin ruling on killing pets is as follows
Validity when killing pets If you perform an action which has zero benefit to you other than making others upset (like killing Ian) I will ban you if you adminhelp when someone kills you.
tl;dr: you're valid.

However, I don't think it applies in this case, since killing the vomitgoose doesn't have "zero benefit" for you, in fact it has the benefit of having less vomit around.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #519366

Vomit isn't a problem with fly-men on the manifest.

Oh wait.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #519397

skoglol wrote:That said, even a dead birdboat will eat and vomit, so unless you butcher why bother.
regardless of what plapatin says this is a bug
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #519399

Who's idea was this vile shitbird anyway?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #519404

The pet policy has been around because there's hasn't ever been a good reason to kill pets, meanwhile birdboat seems to have been specifically made to annoy people and ruin the janitor's day and does not deserve the same protection
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #519409

Mickyan wrote:The pet policy has been around because there's hasn't ever been a good reason to kill pets, meanwhile birdboat seems to have been specifically made to annoy people and ruin the janitor's day and does not deserve the same protection
Back when Ian was first introduced, people would kill him to killbait the HoP (or anyone else who wanted to avenge him). So they made pet-killers valid and unable to ahelp. So now that we have an annoying pet like the vomitgoose, people are using it the opposite way, to killbait (or banbait, if they lose) anyone who tries to dispose of it.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #519413

Grazyn wrote:
Mickyan wrote:The pet policy has been around because there's hasn't ever been a good reason to kill pets, meanwhile birdboat seems to have been specifically made to annoy people and ruin the janitor's day and does not deserve the same protection
Back when Ian was first introduced, people would kill him to killbait the HoP (or anyone else who wanted to avenge him). So they made pet-killers valid and unable to ahelp. So now that we have an annoying pet like the vomitgoose, people are using it the opposite way, to killbait (or banbait, if they lose) anyone who tries to dispose of it.
Or maybe, just maybe, they enjoy having the vomitgoose around? Floors being full of vomit doesn't negatively effect your game experience. It's not slippery, it's not toxic, it's only a temporary visual gag.

If you're willing to kill the bird over a visual gag, why not valid a spraypainter for graffiting the floors? Valid chemistry for spreading carpet everywhere? Valid the chaplain for dumping salt and holy water everywhere? Valid anyone that's dragging a corpse to medbay and leaving blood on the floor? Where does it end?

tl;dr if you kill a pet with the flimsy excuse of "muh vomit" you're valid, end of.

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #519415

deedubya wrote:Or maybe, just maybe, they enjoy having the vomitgoose around? Floors being full of vomit doesn't negatively effect your game experience. It's not slippery, it's not toxic, it's only a temporary visual gag.

If you're willing to kill the bird over a visual gag, why not valid a spraypainter for graffiting the floors? Valid chemistry for spreading carpet everywhere? Valid the chaplain for dumping salt and holy water everywhere? Valid anyone that's dragging a corpse to medbay and leaving blood on the floor? Where does it end?

tl;dr if you kill a pet with the flimsy excuse of "muh vomit" you're valid, end of.
There’s nothing fun about spending all round working on an aesthetically-pleasing project and having some greytider cover it in vomit every time you try to clean it. Not to mention, anyone who’s played janitor knows what happens and how people begin to act as the station becomes dirty. Deliberately spreading filth is an act of minor sabotage.

Your latter point isn’t relevant. Nobody is saying that they greytider dragging birdboat should be valid. This is a discussion on whether it’s okay to put a pe(s)t that’s only role is to spread vomit out of its misery.
► Show Spoiler
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #519417

Farquaar wrote:
deedubya wrote:Or maybe, just maybe, they enjoy having the vomitgoose around? Floors being full of vomit doesn't negatively effect your game experience. It's not slippery, it's not toxic, it's only a temporary visual gag.

There’s nothing fun about spending all round working on an aesthetically-pleasing project and having some greytider cover it in vomit every time you try to clean it. Not to mention, anyone who’s played janitor knows what happens as the station becomes dirty. Deliberately spreading filth is an act of minor sabotage.

Your latter point isn’t relevant. Nobody is saying that they greytider dragging birdboat should be valid. This is a discussion on whether it’s okay to put a pe(s)t that’s only role is to spread vomit out of its misery.
Would you kill Poly because the CE came and disassembled your autism project? Would you expect to be protected by the rules if you did so?

Spoiler:
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #519418

Poly played no role in the CE’s actions. Killing Poly would make zero difference in whether my project got the boot. Vomitgoose, on the other hand, functions as the tool with which the dirty deed is done.
► Show Spoiler
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #519421

Other more active admins can come in and correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand it killing pets alone doesn't make the 'valid'. Rather it's the action of intentionally killing someones beloved pet to get a rise out of them that makes the valid to that person. The same applies if you publicly kill a beloved pet to annoy the crew, your intention is to upset them so complaining when they lynch you is ban baiting and you might get punished (or more likely told to fuck off).

With this in mind there are two scenarios to keep in mind with Birdboat: If you are using Birdboat to annoy or bait someone into a fight (for example, following the Janitor around to make his work pointless) then you are instigating that situation, not them. If they kill Birdboat and then you kill them, frankly you were in the wrong. Should you start fighting them because they want to stop Birdboat and they end up killing you as a result of that conflict I wouldn't ban them; you started that conflict.

Alternatively, if you are simply dragging Birdboat around and bothering no one with it, or say, cleaning up after your bird pukes all his food up. If someone then kills your pet for no good reason besides to piss you off then they are instigating that conflict and they have no right to complain should it end in their death.

The key here is intent. Classic Kor policy on killing pets is; "If you perform an action which has zero benefit to you other than making others upset (like killing Ian) I will ban you if you adminhelp when someone kills you." The implication of this is pretty simple; if you are going out of your way to start a conflict, don't bitch when someone puts you down.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #519439

claiming birdboat is an "assistant pet" just so you, as an assistant, can claim easy casus belli on anyone that kills the annoying fucker prior to claiming is stupid.

The pet killing policy already works for this. If the bird isn't being annoying, don't kill it FNR or face the wrath of its owner.

You could just kill it roundstart before it gets claimed for free too, it's not anyone's default pet.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #519440

deedubya wrote: Would you kill Poly because the CE came and disassembled your autism project? Would you expect to be protected by the rules if you did so?
A more fitting comparison would be killing Poly after someone fed him a ton of crackers and was dragging him around with an open radio.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #519798

birdboat was designed to be a tool of destruction. janitors waging war on him and assistants valiantly protecting their precious goose is emergent gameplay. i personally would say that killing him is fine, unless the goose is just sitting there in someone's autism fort like any other pet, in which case it falls into the "killing pets exclusively to provoke a reaction" policy
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #519805

Grazyn wrote:
deedubya wrote: Would you kill Poly because the CE came and disassembled your autism project? Would you expect to be protected by the rules if you did so?
A more fitting comparison would be killing Poly after someone fed him a ton of crackers and was dragging him around with an open radio.
You're right, that is a better comparison. I'd still consider anyone who kills Poly in that situation valid, however.

Think about it this way: Would you consider a player valid for doing something that a pet is currently doing? If not, don't kill them. Otherwise, you should prepare your anus for the wrath of anyone that cared about said pet.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #519837

if I killed a rat in maint you don't get to claim it was your pet despite never interacting with it and use that to escalate.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #519865

deedubya wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
You're right, that is a better comparison. I'd still consider anyone who kills Poly in that situation valid, however
Then you would be wrong :)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #519951

deedubya wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
You're right, that is a better comparison. I'd still consider anyone who kills Poly in that situation valid, however.

Think about it this way: Would you consider a player valid for doing something that a pet is currently doing? If not, don't kill them. Otherwise, you should prepare your anus for the wrath of anyone that cared about said pet.
Roleplay-wise I understand your point, you wouldn't kill a pet IRL for something his owner forced it to do (unless the pet is being dangerous to people), i.e. killing a dog for shitting on your porch after his owner fed it a laxative. But gameplay-wise we have players using the pet as a tool to be annoying, and if you make people automatically valid for killing the pet, regardless of the fact the pet was used only to annoy people (spammy Poly, vomitgoose), you have the perfect recipe for killbaiting. That's because validity is different from escalation. I'm fine with escalation over this thing, but valid means you can instantly lethal the guy who killed the pet without him being able to ahelp. It's pure killbait and as I said before, even banbait because if you lose, you can say the other guy was killbaiting you by killing your beloved pet. And it's a really shitty situation all around because then you're punishing a guy who tried to avoid escalation by removing the annoying tool instead of attacking the player who was using the tool.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #519954

Reminder that our precedent on pet policy is, and I vaguely quote: “if you do something with no benefit besides pissing people off (like killing ian) I will ban you if you adminhelp when someone kills you.”

If we still use this precedent then coating the halls in puke makes you valid, not the guy killing your puke dispenser.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #519998

Grazyn wrote:
deedubya wrote:
Grazyn wrote:

Roleplay-wise I understand your point, you wouldn't kill a pet IRL for something his owner forced it to do (unless the pet is being dangerous to people), i.e. killing a dog for shitting on your porch after his owner fed it a laxative. But gameplay-wise we have players using the pet as a tool to be annoying, and if you make people automatically valid for killing the pet, regardless of the fact the pet was used only to annoy people (spammy Poly, vomitgoose), you have the perfect recipe for killbaiting. That's because validity is different from escalation. I'm fine with escalation over this thing, but valid means you can instantly lethal the guy who killed the pet without him being able to ahelp. It's pure killbait and as I said before, even banbait because if you lose, you can say the other guy was killbaiting you by killing your beloved pet. And it's a really shitty situation all around because then you're punishing a guy who tried to avoid escalation by removing the annoying tool instead of attacking the player who was using the tool.
"It doesn't make sense RP-wise" should be the be-all and end-all for justifying an action. You wouldn't take a sledgehammer to your neighbor's dog just because he trained it to bark at squirrels all night. Likewise, you wouldn't toolbox a goose just because it keeps throwing up on the floor.

Furthermore, there are several different methods of solving the issue that don't involve killing the pet or its owner. Just taking him and hiding him is one. Calling security is another. Removing the grief tool itself is another.(common channel from Poly, rats from Birdboat) There's several ways you can solve the issue without escalating to your bloodied toolbox.

Spoiler:
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #519999

actually if someone got killed for puking everywhere I'd close his adminhelp
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #520033

confused rock wrote:Reminder that our precedent on pet policy is, and I vaguely quote: “if you do something with no benefit besides pissing people off (like killing ian) I will ban you if you adminhelp when someone kills you.”

If we still use this precedent then coating the halls in puke makes you valid, not the guy killing your puke dispenser.
This

It's not exactly hard to grasp. Someone kills your dumb goose for no clear reason? Dunk on them.

You make a nuisance of yourself with the goose and someone removes the goose? You got the reaction you were angling for.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
bandit

Post by bandit » #520041

deedubya wrote: Likewise, you wouldn't toolbox a goose just because it keeps throwing up on the floor.
I absolutely would toolbox a random goose that vomited all over my apartment, it isn't that out of the ordinary

admin feedback pls
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #520157

bandit wrote:
deedubya wrote: Likewise, you wouldn't toolbox a goose just because it keeps throwing up on the floor.
I absolutely would toolbox a random goose that vomited all over my apartment, it isn't that out of the ordinary
I was using the context of an RL scenario to compare it to an ingame one of the same nature. IRL, fuck geese, they're fucking assholes and should all be shot. Ingame? It's someone's pet doing something annoying. Contrary to what the majority of redshirts and greyshirts believe; being annoying isn't a capital offense.

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #520169

deedubya wrote:being annoying isn't a capital offense.
but it is grounds for valid IC escalation
how do you think lynching for WGW originally started?
why do you think killing the clown is such a staple SS13 gag?
if you're annoying on purpose and then freak out and kill/ahelp people when they naturally retaliate, you may as well be banbaiting
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #520210

applying realism when talking about a bird that infinitely pukes so long as you feed him enough is a bit crazy.

We get it, you want to shit up places without repercussion. It's not going to happen.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #520226

Birdboat can get really buggy and can crash the game.

Suffer for your greytide shittery, lest ye end the round
► Show Spoiler
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #520286

I wish being annoying was a capital offense so I could shoot deedubya in his dented head
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #520302

Cobby wrote:We get it, you want to shit up places without repercussion. It's not going to happen.
Quite the contrary. I'm very much against shitters roaming free with no recourse. I just don't see how a visual gag/infinite food for flymen is equivalent to fireaxing every window you can see. Honestly, there's more of a legitimate case for killing a cracked up Poly than there is for Birdboat. How does vomit on the floors cause you so much asshurt that you're reduced to psychotic pet murder?

Spoiler:
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #520308

deedubya wrote:
Cobby wrote:We get it, you want to shit up places without repercussion. It's not going to happen.
Quite the contrary. I'm very much against shitters roaming free with no recourse. I just don't see how a visual gag/infinite food for flymen is equivalent to fireaxing every window you can see. Honestly, there's more of a legitimate case for killing a cracked up Poly than there is for Birdboat. How does vomit on the floors cause you so much asshurt that you're reduced to psychotic pet murder?
Especially since vomit doesn't seem to cause miasma.
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #520320

deedubya wrote:How does vomit on the floors cause you so much asshurt that you're reduced to psychotic pet murder?
it's vomit, it's unpleasant. if you had to wade through vomit on your way to work every single day you'd probably be pissed too
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #520326

deedubya wrote:
It literally drives you insane, IC. Vomit->room is unpleasant->mood debuff->insanity
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #520352

deedubya wrote:
If we're going by the metric of "does this lead to your death" like fireaxing windows that may or may not lead into space, There is more of a case against birdboat's vomit spam into mood debuff than there is for "you now how to scroll up more in chat" from poly.

Even then, it's the intent behind it that should make it valid-able. If you do something for no other reason than to rile up people, then you don't get to cry to admins when you get an unfavorable reaction.

Like this is why we have petkilling = valid in the first place, it's literally applying that same mentality here.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #520363

Birdboat isnt a pet, its a pestilence.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #520373

Grazyn wrote:
deedubya wrote:
It literally drives you insane, IC. Vomit->room is unpleasant->mood debuff->insanity
Huh. I actually didn't know that. If this is the case, then I admit I was wrong.

Spoiler:
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #520410

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Birdboat isnt a pet, its a pestilence.
it's the first failed syndicate experiment
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #520431

I believe intentionally making a mess in a department, workplace, or the public hallways should open up the person doing it to some amount of escalation, and the person who in this instance kills birdboat should not be valid to the person dragging them around.

I get tired of all the messy spam people seem to get away with... Mediborg treats, salt shaker, shrooms, breaking glasses, etc. If you're causing inconvenience or creating a considerable eyesore just to be a butthole, you deserve what is coming to you.
bandit

Post by bandit » #520446

at the very least a PR has been opened to keep the goose from vomiting while dead

admin feedback pls
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #520672

Imagine being janitor and this guy gives you a half hour of extra work and will continue to do so but stopping him is the wrong thing to do