Photo album pictures persistency

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Photo album pictures persistency

Post by Iatots » #520742

I am making this thread with the assumption that photos placed in any picture album do not "expire" since I can't see any mention of that.

Could albums be altered in such a manner that only their owner may remove photos from them?
I have noticed that most albums around the station are empty, and I am sure this is not for lack of trying. My own album is empty, even though a couple pictures were inside. I had left it in a mining locker before setting off to mine and I assume someone got curious, took the pictures out to open them up in their hand, but didn't think to reinsert them. I don't miss them too much, I tend to screenshot things I find outstanding, but still it kinda sucks that someone could, out of ignorance or malice, delete other peoples pictures.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Photo album pictures persistency

Post by bandit » #520990

and then if someone leaves the photo is in the album 5ever
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
OnlineGirlfriend
Byond Username: Countrygal68

Post by OnlineGirlfriend » #528927

Perhaps a lock and key system, so removing photos is discouraged but not impossible.
|||||||
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #528930

I want upvotes and downvotes on the persistent objects in the display cases in the library, and for persistent objects with upvotes and downvotes (so engravings too) to be deleted if they reach a certain downvote threshhold. Because right now the station is covered in engravings people have got into the habit of ignoring, and the cases are filled with trash.

A similar concept could be added to photos so one person can't dump out every photo, but there's still some form of curation. If I had the ability to code it I'd make it so at the end of each round, the contents of an album is compared to its contents at the beginning, and every removed photo has an invisible downvote against it. Too many downvotes and the photo is removed from the persistency pool. New photos will be added with a 0 score.

The only way I can think of adding upvotes (because passively adding them to the photos that survive the round is going to be massively biased in favour of older photos) is by paying attention to which photos are viewed but not replaced by someone who ultimately chooses a photo to swap out. This is passive acknowledgement that the photos viewed but not replaced are just as good as if not better than the photo they're adding. This way photos that survive to the end of the round in albums that aren't viewed or modified won't have an artificially inflated vote count that makes them impossible to remove.

I say this not expecting any of this to happen or most people to even read this but it's how I'd do it if I knew how and maybe someone will get their own idea from it.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #528932

Album can randomly lose pictures occasionally (it is a bug) so it may not necessarily be that someone took them out, though I'm sure it does happen

I don't know what causes it other than I once had it happen after a server crash
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #528973

theyr'e saved at round end so new pictures wont' save iirc.

Also there seems to be a bug where explosions kill the photos inside the album, even though they shouldnt
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #528983

I mean the entire album got wiped after the server crash, not just the photos I took during that round
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #528984

so glad i became oldman robustin
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: