The absolute state of mapvotes (unironic)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

These polls don't ever work out

Map vote good
29%
Map vote bad
59%
IMPROOOOVE DOONT REMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEE
12%

Total votes: 17

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

The absolute state of mapvotes (unironic)

Post by confused rock » #523090

I just got one round on box after not seeing it for a fucking week. of course, that was one round. the next map was set to meta 10 minutes in.

I don't actually feel like writing a paragraph about this topic. just fuck map votes.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: The absolute state of mapvotes (unironic)

Post by Sandshark808 » #523091

Meta isn't even that good of a map anymore IMO. The chemfactory really disrupted maint routes, but people have this insane love for the map.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #523092

Just make it weighted and unable to force the same map too much
[this space reserved]
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #523093

24/7 de_dust just as jesus intended amen

We could apply a penalty to the map previously played so it's slightly less likely. Hell make it a scaling penalty for each consecutive round on the same map if you really want to break things up. Ultimately though you're gonna have to convince people to change their settings.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #523094

i like meta

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #523095

bobbahbrown wrote:i like meta
I can't even disagree with a bee that smiles that way.
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #523096

If you don't like Meta then make a better map
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #523192

why mapvotes
why not just have a playlist that randomises each time it ends

if a map is shit, get rid of it
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #523195

There really is no point to having a map rotation if people can just vote a map off as soon as [whatever map is the current meta] isn't selected. On the other hand, not having a mapvote would mean there's no way for a populace that dislikes a map(donut/kilo) to save themselves from it.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #523212

yes there is, they can choose not to play that round and go to another server
you know which map is next since the end of the last round, more than enough time to not participate in the next round
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #523215

teepeepee wrote:yes there is, they can choose not to play that round and go to another server
Have you considered looking at the illustration in my first post you inbred
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #523259

Reminder that this is why i made map votes be weighted random based on the votes rather then highest percentage wins.

This was undone in June.

Restore my glorious system to fix this problem.

Idea for a new system:

Map votes happen as they do now, as a called vote where people press buttons to select their map, but they default to the preferred map if you don't vote, (and maybe not voting and going for your preference counts as like 50% of a vote)

The system will then randomly select rather or not to do weighted random selection(my old system) of winner or FPTP selection of highest selected winner(current system (i think)) based off of how many people voted vs how many people did not vote AND had a preferred map. so if 70% of the votes are from manual voting vs preference voting, then FPTP winner selection has a 70% chance of being used.

Also, maybe add IRV to the system? (if somebody else does the rest of the work I can handle making the tallying system for IRV.)
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #523279

MrStonedOne wrote:Map votes happen as they do now, as a called vote where people press buttons to select their map, but they default to the preferred map if you don't vote
This is already how it works to the best of my knowledge. It's why Meta will suddenly get like 10 votes it didn't have previously when a mapvote ends.
Also, maybe add IRV to the system?
You don't think that maybe this would be overkill for mapvotes? I think it'd work for the preferred map setting, but even then that'd only work if the mapvote was axed entirely. (It'd also be a good way to figure out which maps are disliked the most by the populace as a by-product)
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #523284

Just disable meta for like a week so people can experience the other maps
Spoiler:
and remove :donut:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #523288

We have the ability to weigh votes for certain maps still I think.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #523296

confused rock wrote:
teepeepee wrote:yes there is, they can choose not to play that round and go to another server
Have you considered looking at the illustration in my first post you inbred
I was answering this other retard, not going against your point, mongoloid:
deedubya wrote:On the other hand, not having a mapvote would mean there's no way for a populace that dislikes a map(donut/kilo) to save themselves from it.
as in, you could escape from playing donut if there wasn't mapvote
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #523298

Why are we trying to force people to play maps they dont want to play? A map like donut rolling is an instant pop killer, its bad for server health.

If anything, limiting how often and when people can run map votes would likely solve this. For example, we could prevent map votes after rotation has picked its map to prevent instant voting to change it back. That should let us see some more variety based on the old weighted rotation system.
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #523300

heres another idea just fix the other stations so they arent shit

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #523309

angelstarri wrote:heres another idea just fix the other stations so they arent shit
Getting MMMiracles to cut his losses on a year of work is basically impossible, even if most people ingame think it's shit. It's also probably not possible to identify why people dislike certain station layouts versus others, because most people don't have the critical eye to turn a vague sense of unease into a cogent identification of major issues.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #523318

I've already described a new system for this.

Either implement it or don't, but there's no reason to keep bringing it up if you're not willing to do anything