TGMC Hotkeys Port Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

TGMC Hotkeys Port Feedback

Post by bobbahbrown » #523034

I've chatted with a few people and there didn't really seem to be a good place to leave feedback on this new feature, so I made this thread.

Original PR here: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/47003
Revert PR here: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/47571

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Re: TGMC Hotkeys Port Feedback

Post by kopoba » #523048

Revert please this is unplayble
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #523064

The inability to keep the chat bar focused so you can easily chat is a problem for me. It makes quickly speaking difficult and speaking while moving impossible.
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #523087

Absolutely fucking cancerous for AI, i'd take back the telepad meme if it meant this would go away. having to hit tab whenever I do literally anything and having the camera hotkeys memed away is ass.

Removed the ability to turn with ctrl + arrows. Surely there has to be a better method for customizing hotkeys than this.
gameaddict07
Byond Username: Gameaddict07

Post by gameaddict07 » #523179

It SUCKS FAT ASS please remove.
I want to be able to use arrow keys AND WASD.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #523184

Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #523286

After the fixes... I still don't use it but its not unplayable so yeah, this only fucked over the command bar people
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #523292

Tarchonvaagh wrote:After the fixes... I still don't use it but its not unplayable so yeah, this only fucked over the command bar people
fuck jannies

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #523295

this is like society we are lowering everyones life quality to accept a few weirdos with not qwerty keyboards
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #523301

My life quality has been increased, and I am on a qwerty keyboard.
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #523370

deedubya wrote:<snip>
I laughed but you left part of the screencap out:
And I was completely right, the revert has still been causing issues with save files.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #523383

I used to use the arrow keys to talk while moving while using wasd normally. the only people the new hotkeys benefit are powergamers. Meanwhile, arrow key mode makes talking easier than fighting. I wonder which you think I prefer.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #523385

actioninja wrote:wew
Aside from the comedic effect, my point there was also the fact that merging something with at least partial knowledge that it would cause issues isn't exactly good maintenance practice.

Surely if this was a near-irreversible change as you predicted, it deserved to have more time being tested on localhosts to ensure we wouldn't lose functionality once it went live?
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #523391

It was tested on local. The issues that came up in production weren't issues that were seen in local testing. I said it was probably going to break things because large changes to controls like this frequently do. If I didn't expect it to be fixed I wouldn't have merged it.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #523424

im using a qwertz keyboard you jannies
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #523464

deedubya wrote:
actioninja wrote:wew
Aside from the comedic effect, my point there was also the fact that merging something with at least partial knowledge that it would cause issues isn't exactly good maintenance practice.

Surely if this was a near-irreversible change as you predicted, it deserved to have more time being tested on localhosts to ensure we wouldn't lose functionality once it went live?
you obviously have no idea about the way we run things here
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #523478

There's a big difference between knowing that there will be issues and knowing what those issues actually are. Obviously yeah if there were any outstanding issues they would have been fixed.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #523513

Let me ask a question. What does this have thats objectively a massive improvement in the game?

If its custom bindable keys, let me further that by asking WHY do we need it?

Sure you can't use hotkeys if you use your DOVAK or non qwerty keyboard, but then use arrows like every other person who managed to play the game. Hell maybe you'll even find it means you talk more and spend less time wordlessly running around trying to min/max, probably not.

Seriously though, what was actually useful about this merge? Did we even get a say? From what I can see this wasn't a overall code change pushed by the headcoder, this was a loosely implemented use of someone elses (broken) code.
Are we really heading back to the googlecode days of jamming stuff in and testing later...? Kinda seems like that.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #523514

Fuck sake just let me die in piece before you all destroy the game I can play...
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #523522

we're not going to delay technical improvements because of a bunch of boomers
carshalash

Post by carshalash » #523570

People like having easy access to the chat bar in a roleplaying game.
cdru
Byond Username: Cdru

Post by cdru » #523592

I like being able to run AND type at the same time
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #523682

oranges wrote:we're not going to delay technical improvements because of a bunch of boomers
This is my point though, its not improved my experience. If anything its made it much much worse. I'm waiting for the work around merge to go through and I hope that allows me to at least keep the damn bar focused...
And its not just the old accounts complaining either... 2017/2018 acounts, hell I had a (fairly) new player ask why they could no longer move and why they couldn't get the bar to stay focused.
carshalash wrote:People like having easy access to the chat bar in a roleplaying game.
This ^ In the same way as half the screen is dedicated to text, for a roleplaying game
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #523687

peoplearestrange wrote:hell I had a (fairly) new player ask why they could no longer move and why they couldn't get the bar to stay focused.
Better get rid of it now then, before more people adopt the input style.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #523688

Why are you even trying to have a conversation with oranges when you know he won't give a fuck outside of the coderbus circlejerk? You know coderbus are insular as fuck, why waste the energy? Just move to a different codebase, I'm only here cause Eris isn't open outside of weekends.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #523706

you've been "leaving" tg for fucking years, maybe if you actually sacked up and did it, people wouldn't think you're so much of a joke

reality is there's an open pr to fix the issues, so there's nothing really to discuss, other than the lack of patience people have
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #523715

oranges wrote:you've been "leaving" tg for fucking years, maybe if you actually sacked up and did it, people wouldn't think you're so much of a joke

reality is there's an open pr to fix the issues, so there's nothing really to discuss, other than the lack of patience people have
What the actual fuck kind of methyleated spirits are you on oranges, I've been "leaving" for the past several months. Have you really retreated so far up your ass you're no longer able to tell people apart? And your fix don't fix shit, that "fix", or another like it, went live on TGMC and didn't fix my problems with the control scheme and that it doesn't respect the division between hotkey and chat modes.

You're completely impossible to talk to in any kind of serious capacity and it's only through being dismissed do you actually respond with something other than memes. It's infuriating.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #523747

for years anonmare, for years
carshalash

Post by carshalash » #523751

The fact that the removal of default mode was completely undocumented is probably the worst thing about this.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #523854

it was discussed, I just dont' think anyone gives a shit about it other than the four or five people who bothered to comment
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #523874

oranges wrote:it was discussed, I just dont' think anyone gives a shit about it other than the four or five people who bothered to comment
based on what? Your assumption that everyone who effected knows the forums exist, then takes the time to find the right thread and then comments on it?

As much as I'm fairly certain that fixes will help it return to how I played, there was very little evidence, even the change log was fairly unclear to what was being changed and the fact that the change included REMOVING something in the process.

I think thats what urks me more, is that when I asked why I couldn't get out of hotkey mode people acted like I was dumb or some idiot on the backbenches... Which is just a weird angle to play for actually quite a large change.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #523912

based on the assumption that very few people actually use classic mode, because it hasn't been the default or recommended for years
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #523987

Still not data and only assumptions. Not a great way to make a change as such.
Don't go all Firefall on us...
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
carshalash

Post by carshalash » #524091

The default click and chat is... very very finnicky. I've found my command bar being over written by letters while clicking and talking quickly.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #524103

type slower then
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #524148

oranges wrote:type slower then
N.A.S.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #524497

very much looking forward to the day I can actually play this game again

(edit: wait, it seems I can, hallelujah)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #524507

had a fun round due to the ability to bind scream to a key, we had a space court determine that spamming scream and deafening all around you is free speech
carshalash

Post by carshalash » #524514

For the love of god please kill bindable emotes.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #524517

carshalash wrote:For the love of god please kill bindable emotes.
Please make *flip deal slight damage to people around you, so we can be human ninja stars.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #524518

carshalash wrote:For the love of god please kill bindable emotes.
*scream
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #524521

Maybe add a sort of sechailer-like system to hotkeyed emotes? Like, say, if you use hotkeys to use the same emote 5 times in 5 seconds, your hotkey for it gets disabled for a minute?
carshalash

Post by carshalash » #524668

Seems that default mode is unable to press tab to use lettered hotkeys anymore.