A unique botany chem dispenser

A place to record your ideas for the game.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

A unique botany chem dispenser

Post by cybersaber101 » #524601

Alright so here's the idea: A specialized dispenser for botany that fits into the role a bit better then stealing from chemistry or running to tech storage for a chem dispenser board.

1.Produces only chems useful to botany Robust Harvest, Saltpetre, Unstable Mutagen and etc.

2.plant matter powers it similar to the Biogenerator but instead is used to increase the rate it recharges it's power per tic

3.The dispensers energy is capped at 1000 and upgrades won't change that.upgrades however increase the max recharge rate instead.

This is a pretty messy way to explain an idea but I think it has some potential, maybe certain chemicals besides nutriments could effect the recharge speed like teslium or Liquid Electricity.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: A unique botany chem dispenser

Post by Sandshark808 » #524604

This already exists. There's one on the plant people ship.
cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #524606

Sandshark808 wrote:This already exists. There's one on the plant people ship.
I think it'd be better for botany to have a chem dispenser that is more about raising plants for power instead of using inducers and replacing/recharging batteries. but they could just add a plain dispenser with botany chems if they really wanted to.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #524608

I tried adding these chems to the biogenerator like they did on Hippie (made them harder to get though) and oranges just killed the PR so giving them a nerfed chem dispenser that runs on plant matter might have the same result.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #524615

there's no downside to use most of the stat-boosting chems.

mutagen is really the only good chem ironically since it's also the shittiest.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #524626

Why do they need a downside? It already takes long enough to get the plants you want. The balance in the case of my PR came from the amount of biomass you needed to buy them.
NSFW:

cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #524630

Cobby wrote:there's no downside to use most of the stat-boosting chems.
That is true and perhaps could be worked on by a man smarter then me, I could try and brainstorm for a bit though.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #524653

If I remember correctly Saltpetre increases potency but also increases production time.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #524654

cacogen wrote:I tried adding these chems to the biogenerator like they did on Hippie (made them harder to get though) and oranges just killed the PR so giving them a nerfed chem dispenser that runs on plant matter might have the same result.
Thats called the biogenerator

wasn't there a PR to add said things to it
► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #524662

Shadowflame909 wrote:
cacogen wrote:I tried adding these chems to the biogenerator like they did on Hippie (made them harder to get though) and oranges just killed the PR so giving them a nerfed chem dispenser that runs on plant matter might have the same result.
Thats called the biogenerator

wasn't there a PR to add said things to it
Re-read the post. He made the PR, and it was killed.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #524671

Dr_bee wrote:

If I remember correctly Saltpetre increases potency but also increases production time.
the opposite, it speeds up plants and increases potency.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... #L658-L664
cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #524677

Perhaps the new dispenser could replace the bioregen and the production of leather and monkey cubes could be replaced with a plant. I just consider it a pain for players to run around for boards or between chem and botany every round since growing your own mutagen without chems is a lot of waiting and luck
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #524692

cybersaber101 wrote:Perhaps the new dispenser could replace the bioregen and the production of leather and monkey cubes could be replaced with a plant. I just consider it a pain for players to run around for boards or between chem and botany every round since growing your own mutagen without chems is a lot of waiting and luck
It is not hard to make your own mutagen with only one batch of mutagen from chem or just left-4-zed.

The trend to powercreep departments by making them totally independent and self sufficient is really worrying.

Botany doesn't need their own dispenser so they can start powergaming at round start, this department can not only mass manufacture one hit win weapons or the best healing reagents in the game, they can even raise people from the dead.
cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #524693

Kryson wrote:
cybersaber101 wrote:Perhaps the new dispenser could replace the bioregen and the production of leather and monkey cubes could be replaced with a plant. I just consider it a pain for players to run around for boards or between chem and botany every round since growing your own mutagen without chems is a lot of waiting and luck
It is not hard to make your own mutagen with only one batch of mutagen from chem or just left-4-zed.

The trend to powercreep departments by making them totally independent and self sufficient is really worrying.

Botany doesn't need their own dispenser so they can start powergaming at round start, this department can not only mass manufacture one hit win weapons or the best healing reagents in the game, they can even raise people from the dead.
That's true. any ideas for potential quality of life? maybe less rng.
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #524695

Kryson wrote:

That's kind of a dumb statement to make about the department's power level. All of the broken botany combos are totally random whether you get them or not. There's a chance you don't get anything from any Strange Seeds you buy, and getting Zombie Powder is extremely rare, so just letting botany get started on advanced plants easier isn't going to make them blow the entire station up. We're talking about a department whose most potent non-RNG weapon is the ability to slap someone with an acid injection that took 20 minutes to grow to usable size. Chemists can kill you roundstart with a 200u meth grenade.

If you want chemistry to supply everyone with what they need, make the chem factory a large workstation like Atmos and have pre-set pipes to different departments for chemical delivery.
cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #524811

Sandshark808 wrote:If you want chemistry to supply everyone with what they need, make the chem factory a large workstation like Atmos and have pre-set pipes to different departments for chemical delivery.
That could be a good change, the main purpose of this idea is to get rid of the awkward botany round start(hacking vendor/grabbing a chem board) another thread mentioned making left4zed essentially unstable mutagen instead of slow rng.
Kryson
Code Maintainer

Post by Kryson » #524827

cybersaber101 wrote:That could be a good change, the main purpose of this idea is to get rid of the awkward botany round start(hacking vendor/grabbing a chem board) another thread mentioned making left4zed essentially unstable mutagen instead of slow rng.
left-4-zed is fine for what it is, you can counteract the RNG by planting several plants and treating them with left4zed.

Mutagen can be made in botany, and should be regarded as a luxury chemical since botany have alternatives in uranium, radium and left4zed.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #524830

Kryson wrote:Mutagen can be made in botany, and should be regarded as a luxury chemical since botany have alternatives in uranium, radium and left4zed.
That's really dumb. Even with unlimited mutagen, it can still take the best part of half an hour to get the plants you want. And rounds are 40 minutes if you're lucky.
NSFW:

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #524837

radium works the same as mutagen but it needs 10 u instead of 5u to mutate plants and its behind just hacking the vendor in 4 seeds, mutagen can be made after you mutate a single pumpkin and stick chlorine into glowshrooms, salt petre isnt even that important you can easly get high pot / high yeld by spamming 2u mutagen on plant, who cares if its 90 pot 8 yeld when you can plant 5 of them.
the system isnt really that great but it doesnt need to be more casual because 50 iq bimbos play the game
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #524894

Kryson wrote:
cybersaber101 wrote:That could be a good change, the main purpose of this idea is to get rid of the awkward botany round start(hacking vendor/grabbing a chem board) another thread mentioned making left4zed essentially unstable mutagen instead of slow rng.
left-4-zed is fine for what it is, you can counteract the RNG by planting several plants and treating them with left4zed.

Mutagen can be made in botany, and should be regarded as a luxury chemical since botany have alternatives in uranium, radium and left4zed.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #524903

im kind of surprised rnd can't just research the machine boards for the podpeople dispenser

by that late in the shift botany's already got the basics if they're any good
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #524912

cacogen wrote:
Kryson wrote:Mutagen can be made in botany, and should be regarded as a luxury chemical since botany have alternatives in uranium, radium and left4zed.
That's really dumb. Even with unlimited mutagen, it can still take the best part of half an hour to get the plants you want. And rounds are 40 minutes if you're lucky.
This. The person overseeing botany balance doesn't really understand how botany plays.
Kryson
Code Maintainer

Post by Kryson » #524944

cacogen wrote:
40min round time is too low and the maintainers aim to increase round time.

If rounds are consistently only 30-40m i think it is better to accept that you only have time to grow 1-2 really powerful plants instead of doing standard botany powergaming rush every round.

Speeding everything up by just giving the botanist all the powerful plant chems at round start will just shorten rounds and make the gameplay more hectic and less enjoyable.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #525182

I don't even like chem's chem dispenser.
cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #525250

Cobby wrote:I don't even like chem's chem dispenser.
Having botany focusing on dna manipulation would be cooler than pouring chemicals into a tray.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #525252

DNA manipulation is largely just pouring chemicals out of a plant though, but yes I agree with that.