How do we make sec more incentivizing to play?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

How do we make sec more incentivizing to play?

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525177

My only idea is taking an incentive that exists (Syndie Uplink) and making a more neutral version of it. I mean, currently the opposite happens.

As Security, every time they cuff someone. "Last touched" remembers their ckey. When they cuff an antagonist and therefore are the last touched, if they bring them to the shuttle, alive or dead on a sec floortile. They gain 1 nanotransen Quantum Crystal. Basically a yellow telecrystal.

You can use it for nanotransen themed goodies, like donuts, security cardboard cut-outs. A hoverboard, A clown themed beating target. And with a maximum of 10 Quantum Crystals, you can summon your very own Prisoner (Grey tider guaranteed) to practice your shit sec skills!

This'll accomplish multiple things

1. Increase the declining sec numbers with an incentive similar to the one that causes people to antag roll.

2. Increase the shift to ghost roles and borging over cloning.

3. Have this attitude of "kill and morgue" change to actually see perma used until the shuttle comes.

So any other ideas or thoughts on mine? Leave a reply below. I'll read them.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: How do we make sec more incentivizing to play?

Post by Cobby » #525180

sec is the shittiest role because you have admin restrictions that aren't given to people who pretend to play sec
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #525206

A large part of what makes it shit is that you get shit on by everyone if you try to do any form of security work that is not directly tied to fighting antags.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #525233

:flashbang: Bring back secborgs. :flashbang:

But honestly, death alarms or something similar would help extend the lives of the few people who DO choose to play sec. If we cant get people to play the role at least make the people who do play the role have a slightly less shitty time of it.
EpicFatGamerNuts2006
Byond Username: EpicFatGamerNuts

Post by EpicFatGamerNuts2006 » #525407

I was about to make a thread on this but since theres already one I'll throw in my suggestion. I have no idea how feasible this would be to code, so sorry in advance. People really like fun unique roles, and I think giving sec a chance per round to get something I'll call "drone tokens" would be a nice way to incentivize normal people instead of noobs wanting free gear or actually insane Stanford prison experiment wardens into playing sec. These tokens would allow you to spawn as a free drone with a set static name like a borg, able to explore the station. I don't feel like this would be overpowered or anything, and since almost everyone really likes playing drones and they aren't antags, it could work.

I'm also really just using drones as an example. Something else equally harmless like taking control of an animal, with the same sentience announcement we currently have, could work well too.
Armhulen wrote:i have added epicfatgamernuts2006 to my friends list
wesoda25 wrote:im gonna add EpicFatGamerNuts2006 to my friend list too bc idk what that does
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525411

EpicFatGamerNuts2006 wrote:I was about to make a thread on this but since theres already one I'll throw in my suggestion. I have no idea how feasible this would be to code, so sorry in advance. People really like fun unique roles, and I think giving sec a chance per round to get something I'll call "drone tokens" would be a nice way to incentivize normal people instead of noobs wanting free gear or actually insane Stanford prison experiment wardens into playing sec. These tokens would allow you to spawn as a free drone with a set static name like a borg, able to explore the station. I don't feel like this would be overpowered or anything, and since almost everyone really likes playing drones and they aren't antags, it could work.

I'm also really just using drones as an example. Something else equally harmless like taking control of an animal, with the same sentience announcement we currently have, could work well too.
Drones are humans with all access, smaller sprites, and they're harder to hit and Vent-Crawl.

They're Wizard only right now because of how robust they are
► Show Spoiler
EpicFatGamerNuts2006
Byond Username: EpicFatGamerNuts

Post by EpicFatGamerNuts2006 » #525540

Shadowflame909 wrote:
EpicFatGamerNuts2006 wrote:I was about to make a thread on this but since theres already one I'll throw in my suggestion. I have no idea how feasible this would be to code, so sorry in advance. People really like fun unique roles, and I think giving sec a chance per round to get something I'll call "drone tokens" would be a nice way to incentivize normal people instead of noobs wanting free gear or actually insane Stanford prison experiment wardens into playing sec. These tokens would allow you to spawn as a free drone with a set static name like a borg, able to explore the station. I don't feel like this would be overpowered or anything, and since almost everyone really likes playing drones and they aren't antags, it could work.

Drones are humans with all access, smaller sprites, and they're harder to hit and Vent-Crawl.

They're Wizard only right now because of how robust they are
oh shit, well I've barely seen drones so oops. Anyways, I still think some type of gimmick or harmless token might at least be a step.
Armhulen wrote:i have added epicfatgamernuts2006 to my friends list
wesoda25 wrote:im gonna add EpicFatGamerNuts2006 to my friend list too bc idk what that does