Take Terry off Dynamic

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Take Terry off Dynamic

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525443

Code-Base Player-Base separation was enough.

We don't need Server-Base Code-Base Player-Base separation to drive things even more up the wall.

Unless more conflict is desired, either all the servers need to convert to Dynamic. Or Dynamic needs to be removed from terry, since it's already an option in secret.

Let us leave the drama in 2016. We dont need a cat-girls boogaloo. This time it'll be the headmins of the future making constant polls to leave terry on dynamic or not.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Take Terry off Dynamic

Post by wesoda25 » #525454

To save you guys from having to read that I’ll leave this here:
Nervere wrote:I set Terry to 24/7 dynamic. It was meant to be for a short time, as a testing period. Terry admins kept requesting it.
The fact that it is still running dynamic is very odd. It should've been taken off by now.
oranges wrote: it is absolutely vital that all the servers are travelling in the same direction.

Diversions lead to admin / playerbase /coderbase tension, as you are now seeing in effect.

a temporary controversy over config changes is much easier handled than leaving the issue to fester.
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525455

To save you from having to read that I'll leave this here.

It is of the utmost importance that we rapidly work towards addressing this problem. If left to fester, the diversion could be so great that we'll never get over it. Just like the cat-girl issue that was Once just an item.

Address it, or it'll come back to bite us!
► Show Spoiler
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #525466

no
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Post by Kangtut » #525472

The Respected Man wrote:no
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #525488

Shadowflame909, I don't wanna be the one to say this but you seem to be proposing a ton of bad ideas on the forums. Maybe try playing on yog for awhile and see how do you like that, because all the changes you are pushing for are similar "no dynamic, antags cannot do anything, sec cannot do anything, only admins can resolve IC conflicts, rounds last more than 60 minutes etc".

Dynamic is inherently the best gamemode there is, since once antags are figured out there can be other threats rather than knowing that the only danger out there is "cult" or "revs" etc.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #525495

IMO - Dynamic is good, could still get a lot better. Issue isn’t Terry always being on dynamic, its Terry being on something the other servers aren’t. So either make all servers dynamic or not terry. Or some half measure for both.
[this space reserved]
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #525500

I set Terry to dynamic as a temporary measure - for testing. Terry admins kept asking for it to be put on.
It was not meant to be on for 24/7. The onus is on the headmins to take it off and set it back to normal.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525501

Istoprocent1 wrote:Shadowflame909, I don't wanna be the one to say this but you seem to be proposing a ton of bad ideas on the forums. Maybe try playing on yog for awhile and see how do you like that, because all the changes you are pushing for are similar "no dynamic, antags cannot do anything, sec cannot do anything, only admins can resolve IC conflicts, rounds last more than 60 minutes etc".

Dynamic is inherently the best gamemode there is, since once antags are figured out there can be other threats rather than knowing that the only danger out there is "cult" or "revs" etc.
Take it off Dynamic or Put all the servers on dynamic.

You do realize how the codebase would effectively clash within itself if coders are coding for a dynamic type setting where all the antags can appear, versus just one antag type once per round.
► Show Spoiler
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #525504

Dynamic is chaotic as fuck, completely awful. Few opportunities for roleplay.
Dynamic needs to be taken off permanent rotation for Terry, and set as a normal gamemode with low-medium odds.
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #525521

Im not sure if you've played on terry or a dynamic round recently but RP still does happen on the regular. The rounds are no where near as chaotic as they started because the mode got updated to fix the bugs with it. Ive seen people complain that too much happens but I really REALLY think those people are having either selective memories or havent played on a dynamic round recently. Ive seen admins complain that its hard to interact with terry because of its dynamic mode but I also think this is wrong because I do it on the regular and Ive regularly done stupid events / full event rounds and had positive feedback on it.

Most of the complaints I see about Terry dynamic are from people who I never fuckin see on terry and just saying to remove it because ??????. I get that we are meant to be consistent between servers but when Dynamic is just secret but better I find it really really hard to see the arguments against it.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #525523

The main issue with dynamic is the bagilites that come to terry to play it. They have changed the atmosphere of terry for sure.

As for players who actually play terry's wishes on perma dynamic,there was a vote not too long ago. High is better.
https://sb.atlantaned.space/polls/216

Bobbah is looking into getting us extended stats for dynamic rounds, which should give us an easier overview of what spawns etc. This should be helpful in tweaking dynamic numbers further as we go along. I would at the very least want to see a higher percentage of dynamic in secret, as the mode is genuinely good and interesting, and deserves a chance to keep growing and improving.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #525524

the longer you leave the servers in disaparate configurations the harder it becomes toa dmin them.
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #525527

oranges wrote:the longer you leave the servers in disaparate configurations the harder it becomes toa dmin them.
Naloac

Post by Naloac » #525528

oranges wrote:the longer you leave the servers in disaparate configurations the harder it becomes toa dmin them.
Again I really dont think this is a problem. When dynamic is just better than secret for removing alot of the *O an emagged door guess we cant have any Cultists!* I also disagree with the hard to admin them comment because I swap between bagil and terry and find Next to no difference in adminning. When dynamic is just secret but BETTER its just the same way to admin. Only this time you have to include sometimes okay maybe this guy was worried about X.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #525564

Op is right
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #525568

Shadowflame909 wrote:Put all the servers on dynamic.
Agreed. :P

/thread
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #525574

I played on Terry because EU and thought dynamic was fun at first, then I realized every round is either cult or rev and it's awful for long-term projects
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #525575

When did you play grazyn? Changes were made to fix stacking bugs, as well as reduce the frequency of round enders a month or so ago.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525576

Naloac wrote:
Again I really dont think this is a problem. When dynamic is just better than secret for removing alot of the *O an emagged door guess we cant have any Cultists!* I also disagree with the hard to admin them comment because I swap between bagil and terry and find Next to no difference in adminning. When dynamic is just secret but BETTER its just the same way to admin. Only this time you have to include sometimes okay maybe this guy was worried about X.
Then would you agree to all the servers being Dynamic because its a better game mode?

Somethings gotta give.

Unbalanced Coder Turmoil once the terry coders see the flaws in dynamic and start making specific game mode changes after the antag freeze ends, which then don't mesh well on the secret when these antags are the main source of conflict with no other interruptions.

Pandamonium Naloac!

Another option would be adding "Dynamic ___" versions of antags to the datum. But that would be pretty bloated, wouldn't it?
► Show Spoiler
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #525577

skoglol wrote:When did you play grazyn? Changes were made to fix stacking bugs, as well as reduce the frequency of round enders a month or so ago.
Yeah it was a couple months ago. Good to know it was fixed, it made rounds very predictable (cult or rev, and if nothing happens in the first 20 minutes it's nukes)
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #525580

skoglol wrote:As for players who actually play terry's wishes on perma dynamic,there was a vote not too long ago. High is better.
https://sb.atlantaned.space/polls/216
This poll is actually the main reason I gave up that crusade as well. I remember seeing a lot of EU players turn up on Sybil because they hated dynamic, and I felt it was pretty unfair to force a 24/7 gamemode onto what's essentially their only server. But evidently the vast majority of people that play the server like dynamic, so there isn't really a problem there.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Naloac

Post by Naloac » #525606

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Naloac wrote:
Then would you agree to all the servers being Dynamic because its a better game mode?
I would put all servers on dynamic and have it run from that. although I dont play the other servers often bar maybe bagil when terry hits lowpop. So I dont normally comment on what those servers want.(because I dont know) In my opinion alot of the dynamic hate comes from misunderstandings of how it works/newthingbad. The proper argument of the game enders being too powerful stacked together was already addressed and fixed. Its a rare event to see nukies and cult. While im pretty sure it CAN happen I havent seen it since skoglols updates.

Theres another issue of traitors running off to join the cult which is an admin policy issue that I brought up before at one point. I think traitors/ lings/bloodbros and the like shouldnt be able to WILLINGLY join the cult and must be forced. Just because its alot more fun that way.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #525608

How does antag priority works for traitors? Can you join the cult to get closer to your assassination target who is a cultist or are you forced to obey the "no team-killing" rule? Can you kill him but you have to help the cult? Or can you ignore your cultist allegiance altogether?
Naloac

Post by Naloac » #525613

Grazyn wrote:How does antag priority works for traitors? Can you join the cult to get closer to your assassination target who is a cultist or are you forced to obey the "no team-killing" rule? Can you kill him but you have to help the cult? Or can you ignore your cultist allegiance altogether?
You have to help the cult. This was a policy thread before but its basically team antags over single antags.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #525614

I personally believe we can fulfill all the server preferences with dynamic if we take the time to tweak it. Want calmer rounds on sybil and more chaos on bagil? There are per server configs for that, and you are able to adjust pretty much anything about both the game mode and the impact of the individual rulesets. Anything that is not possible to adjust in configs today (barring very specific game mode stuff) is trivial to add.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #525661

Just tweak dynamics threat values until it is where we want it to be and it makes secret obsolete.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #525682

skoglol wrote:I personally believe we can fulfill all the server preferences with dynamic if we take the time to tweak it. Want calmer rounds on sybil and more chaos on bagil? There are per server configs for that, and you are able to adjust pretty much anything about both the game mode and the impact of the individual rulesets. Anything that is not possible to adjust in configs today (barring very specific game mode stuff) is trivial to add.
I believe purposefully gearing different servers for different play types is the exact reason 24/7 dynamic is disproved of. Giving everyone the same version of dynamic is ideal I think.
[this space reserved]
Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #525697

Grazyn wrote:
skoglol wrote:When did you play grazyn? Changes were made to fix stacking bugs, as well as reduce the frequency of round enders a month or so ago.
Yeah it was a couple months ago. Good to know it was fixed, it made rounds very predictable (cult or rev, and if nothing happens in the first 20 minutes it's nukes)
Yeah it's been dramatically changed since then, in fact oftentimes(like 1/5 rounds) the only Antags are Blood Brothers(who usually barely antag, usually killing 1/2 people for each set) since some of the admins like setting Blood Brothers to 45 Threat and it likes rolling around 45-60 threat and it occasionally doesn't like spending the remaining threat.
I personally haven't seen it roll a mixed gamemode like Cult+Wizard or Cult+Revs in well over a week and getting cult/revs happens about as often as on Bagil/Sybil.

wesoda25 wrote:
skoglol wrote:I personally believe we can fulfill all the server preferences with dynamic if we take the time to tweak it. Want calmer rounds on sybil and more chaos on bagil? There are per server configs for that, and you are able to adjust pretty much anything about both the game mode and the impact of the individual rulesets. Anything that is not possible to adjust in configs today (barring very specific game mode stuff) is trivial to add.
I believe purposefully gearing different servers for different play types is the exact reason 24/7 dynamic is disproved of. Giving everyone the same version of dynamic is ideal I think.
I don't think the exact same version of Dynamic is needed and some variance would be nice, even if it's just for a chaotic round with all the threat costs being lowered.
But it should be comparable, like if normal Traitor threat is 20 on one server, it shouldn't be 40+ on another, or if Blood Bros is 45, it shouldn't be 15 usually for another.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #525704

I'd just add dynamic to secret on all servers and put Terry on regular rotation as well. Having it in secret spices things up while still keeping traditional single antag-type modes.
Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #525706

Grazyn wrote:I'd just add dynamic to secret on all servers and put Terry on regular rotation as well. Having it in secret spices things up while still keeping traditional single antag-type modes.
Personally I disagree, since you can occasionally on high pop get team lings/traitors and nuke ops, but the Tots/lings decide to help the Crew against the Cult/Nuke Ops invading the station. It really spices up the Monotony of x group=valid when the Lings or ToTs are helping you out, but it's uncommon since Terrymins and Coderbus has Dynamic on such a short leash. Outside of Highpop (50+) players you pretty much only get regular rounds and even in highpop it's uncommon you'll get something like that, far more likely you'll get Lings + Blood bros + 1/2 tots.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #525714

>headmins: they put Terry off dynamic
>terrymins: time to start a vote about dynamic at the beginning of every round
:shades:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #525717

Taylork2 wrote:
Grazyn wrote:I'd just add dynamic to secret on all servers and put Terry on regular rotation as well. Having it in secret spices things up while still keeping traditional single antag-type modes.
Personally I disagree, since you can occasionally on high pop get team lings/traitors and nuke ops, but the Tots/lings decide to help the Crew against the Cult/Nuke Ops invading the station. It really spices up the Monotony of x group=valid when the Lings or ToTs are helping you out, but it's uncommon since Terrymins and Coderbus has Dynamic on such a short leash. Outside of Highpop (50+) players you pretty much only get regular rounds and even in highpop it's uncommon you'll get something like that, far more likely you'll get Lings + Blood bros + 1/2 tots.
Yeah but that was necessary because it was the only mode and round enders got old pretty fast, but once it's on rotation they could tweak it to be like it was before.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #525722

it is not sufficiently smart enough to be any better than the RNG gamemode roll at the start of the round.

I don't believe it adds any value at all.
Takov
Byond Username: Takov

Post by Takov » #525736

Shadowflame909 wrote:Code-Base Player-Base separation was enough.

We don't need Server-Base Code-Base Player-Base separation to drive things even more up the wall.

Unless more conflict is desired, either all the servers need to convert to Dynamic. Or Dynamic needs to be removed from terry, since it's already an option in secret.

Let us leave the drama in 2016. We dont need a cat-girls boogaloo. This time it'll be the headmins of the future making constant polls to leave terry on dynamic or not.
Fuck off with your false dichotomy, you don't even play on Terry.
What fucking "more conflict"? It's been fine for months and every vote in-game to play on Dynamic that I've seen has passed, I daresay the vast majority of players like it.

Speaking of divide, Hulk literally phoneposting on Discord and ordering Chosen not to do votes for Dynamic is fucking retarded. I can't recall ever seeing Hulk on Terry in fact, or doing much of anything to be honest. The real divide is between distant, unaccountable coders with awful ideas (Cobby, Oranges, Ninja) plus armchair admemes, and the regular players.
oranges wrote:it is not sufficiently smart enough to be any better than the RNG gamemode roll at the start of the round.

I don't believe it adds any value at all.
The people who actually play by and large disagree with you, as do I. Not that you even play on Terry, so what the fuck do you care?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #525742

Just have it on dynamic and alter between low and high threat.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525744

Takov wrote: The people who actually play by and large disagree with you, as do I. Not that you even play on Terry, so what the fuck do you care?
All or Nothing. We don't need two versions of the same antag. Except one can be converted by a cult and harpen upon a wizard's spellbook. While the other is there to rock the show entirely on his own.
► Show Spoiler
Takov

Post by Takov » #525747

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Takov wrote: The people who actually play by and large disagree with you, as do I. Not that you even play on Terry, so what the fuck do you care?
All or Nothing. We don't need two versions of the same antag. Except one can be converted by a cult and harpen upon a wizard's spellbook. While the other is there to rock the show entirely on his own.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemm
If you mean shit like a different antag getting converted that's rare enough that's it isn't a concern even on Dynamic, which you'd know if you actually played. It's almost always just funny actually.
And what the fuck are you even talking about? It "isn't two versions of the same antag" (whatever that possibly means) and an actual Wizard's Spellbook is bound to the person that uses it. Nobody else can use it. How do you not know this?
(Specifically it's bound it to their "mind" in code terms iirc)
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525748

Takov wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
If you mean shit like a different antag getting converted that's rare enough that's it isn't a concern even on Dynamic, which you'd know if you actually played. It's almost always just funny actually.
And what the fuck are you even talking about? It "isn't two versions of the same antag" (whatever that possibly means) and an actual Wizard's Spellbook is bound to the person that uses it. Nobody else can use it. How do you not know this?
Yeah okay, but it's not like a wizard has never been killed and looted.

Dynamic Antag and Normal Antag are two different types of beast. Advocating for the removal of dynamic as a default is just one option. All the servers can convert.

But somethings gotta give, because we don't need as I've said Two Main-Style of the same antag. Coders going on terry, seeing the faults in dynamic and retuning the antags to be weaker entirely. Which then makes them no longer hold up in their own mode, On the secret playstyle all the other servers default on.

That's what I mean by two types of antags.
► Show Spoiler
Takov

Post by Takov » #525749

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Takov wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
Yeah okay, but it's not like a wizard has never been killed and looted.

Dynamic Antag and Normal Antag are two different types of beast. Advocating for the removal of dynamic as a default is just one option. All the servers can convert.

But somethings gotta give, because we don't need as I've said Two Main-Style of the same antag. Coders going on terry, seeing the faults in dynamic and retuning the antags to be weaker entirely. Which then makes them no longer hold up in their own mode, On the secret playstyle all the other servers default on.

That's what I mean by two types of antags.
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY'RE DEAD, PEOPLE CAN'T GET SPELLS FROM THEIR SPELLBOOK AFTER THEY HAVE OPENED THE SPELL CHOICE MENU. THIS IS BASIC FUCKING KNOWLEDGE. Holy shit how do you not know this?

Antags are still frozen, so your claim about "Coders going on terry, seeing the faults in dynamic and retuning the antags to be weaker" is pure and utter bullshit. Coders don't even go on Terry to begin with anyway, and that situation hasn't happened even when antags weren't frozen. You are delusional.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #525769

What happens to the items dead wizards hold???

You can disagree Takov. But Dynamic Antags and Normal Antags play under two very different sets of gameplay. One where they're the villain to the stations normality, and the other where they're treated as a replaceable minion.
► Show Spoiler
Takov

Post by Takov » #525948

Shadowflame909 wrote:What happens to the items dead wizards hold???

You can disagree Takov. But Dynamic Antags and Normal Antags play under two very different sets of gameplay. One where they're the villain to the stations normality, and the other where they're treated as a replaceable minion.
I didn't argue that they aren't two different gameplay sets, I was pointing out that your phrasing was fucking incomprehensible and nonsensical. Your argument now boils down to "I don't like it" when you don't even fucking play on Terry yet you act if this is some sort of crisis.

Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #525964

Shadowflame909 wrote:What happens to the items dead wizards hold???

What happens when a wizard uses summon magic five times and just stays on the wizard ship until round end?
Who cares, crew is going to get items that can disrupt the "balance" of a round.
What happens when the crew gets an uplink with 60TC on it from a Contractor? It's going to disrupt the balance a bit.

I don't consider it a problem, wizard basically is hardly touched by the coding community in terms of new features/major balance changes and I don't think Dynamic is going to change whether wizard gets updated or not.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #526111

It doesn’t matter that they don’t play on Terry, Takov, because it affects the direction of the entire codebase. Unless of course you want every Terry player to give a disclaimer that their opinions should be disregarded every time they give feedback on game/antag balance.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #526166

Farquaar wrote:It doesn’t matter that they don’t play on Terry, Takov, because it affects the direction of the entire codebase. Unless of course you want every Terry player to give a disclaimer that their opinions should be disregarded every time they give feedback on game/antag balance.
Implying they aren’t already ; )
[this space reserved]