Put dynamic on all servers

imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Put dynamic on all servers

Post by imsxz » #526112

Bottom post of the previous page:

Individuals with little to no RECENT dynamic experience need not apply. The gamemode has gotten constant updates and tweaking, and I believe it has reached a good point where it typically maintains secret-levels of "chaos".

My biggest issue with secret is that it's so incredibly easy to metagame antagonists, even at a subconscious level. Consider the following hypothetical: An antagonist attempts to fool security into thinking there's a cult with a very clever tactic; narsour, dagger+metal from lavaland, cutting comms, the whole 9 yards. Enter Randy McChangeling, he bursts into the brig, armblade drawn. Security now knows that there is no cult, because there can't be a cult and lings at the same time.

That was a complete hypothetical but I believe it gets the point across - secret takes a LOT of paranoia out of the game, especially in what most would consider "TDM" modes, where the loyalists can generally know to all trust each other no matter what and just shoot non-implanted or whatever. Of course, my point here is that in dynamic, you're still kept on your toes.

A smaller point, but one that I can appreciate as someone that plays security a decent amount, is that rounds aren't destined to be snoozefests after a cult gets caught 2 minutes in. There's still opportunities for the round to spiral into something interesting.

Finally, a great feature I believe anyone can appreciate, dynamic does away with most of the dreaded random round endings. In dynamic, no antagonists deaths end the round, allowing much more potential for construction projects, mining, xenobiology, etc. at least from a personal experience, I avoid longer projects in general unless it's announced extended, due to how common it is to roll either revs, wizard, or nukies in secret, which can end at any given second.

As for frequent criticisms of dynamic, a lot of the issues have been resolved. Without exceptionally high threat, if there's for example a wizard, there generally wont be more than 1-3 traitors depending on population, sometimes there wont even be extra traitors. The idea that dynamic is "constant rev nukie wiz cult" is EXTREMELY dated, it was toned down rather quickly, frequent dynamic players can attest you need high threat for the dreaded chaotic rounds.

Another common criticism, even from orange man himself, is that "it has antags that aren't designed to be mixed together". I understand the sentiment, but experiencing it first hand as an admin and a player, the only big conflicts people have is what objectives they're supposed to follow when they get converted to antag as a traitor/blood brother, or some really rare occurrences such as zombie cultists or revolutionaries with a head of staff blood brother. These sorts of issues are few and far between, infrequent enough that headmins haven't even needed to give a full ruling on lots of cases like that yet.

I encourage those not familiar with dynamic to use this thread to have whatever questions and worries you might have about it resolved.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Re: Put dynamic on all servers

Post by The Respected Man » #526592

Arathian wrote:Why is Terry on secret anyway? Terry had a vote and (I believe) voted overwhelmingly in favour of keeping dynamic.

If dynamic "needs more testing" maybe we should do that fucking testing on at least 1 server?
Terry did vote overwhelmingly in favor of dynamic. But to answer your question as to why there is a "trial period" of secret, it is because we voted for a sybil headmin.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #526645

pugie wrote:
confused rock wrote:The fact that dynamic *can* happen means the call “there’s a ling so no cult” is never correct.
It's a 13% chance of being wrong with a 0% chance if centcom report is checked the two shift types reports are different (dynamic's one is actually good)
The shift report is kinda stupid anyway. It made sense (not really) when dynamic was the only mode, it should be removed or fixed since it can be used to metagame.
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #526648

Grazyn wrote:
pugie wrote:
confused rock wrote:The fact that dynamic *can* happen means the call “there’s a ling so no cult” is never correct.
It's a 13% chance of being wrong with a 0% chance if centcom report is checked the two shift types reports are different (dynamic's one is actually good)
The shift report is kinda stupid anyway. It made sense (not really) when dynamic was the only mode, it should be removed or fixed since it can be used to metagame.
The dynamic report is alright imo. It only gives you a rough idea of the threat that is currently in play.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #526763

I'd like to know the number of rounds that continued after Revs, nuke, cult? And if its frequently having the shuttle called after these antags then what's the point in having these antags in dynamic or dynamic at all
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #526849

peoplearestrange wrote:I'd like to know the number of rounds that continued after Revs, nuke, cult? And if its frequently having the shuttle called after these antags then what's the point in having these antags in dynamic or dynamic at all
The literal presence of an option to not leave the round behind maybe?
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #526906

The issue with dynamic is that these gamemodes arent supposed to work with eachother and are meant to be seperate things. There's no inbetween we can do of "oh keep standalone and dynamic". We have to do a nuclear option of no dynamic or yes dynamic.

Also what is with the "no antag, me no have fun" mentality? Does like 90% of /tg/ just play to validhunt?
am gud enineering
scrungo
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #526910

Critawakets wrote:The issue with dynamic is that these gamemodes arent supposed to work with eachother and are meant to be seperate things. There's no inbetween we can do of "oh keep standalone and dynamic". We have to do a nuclear option of no dynamic or yes dynamic.
That's why having dynamic as a rare option in the secret rotation is a good thing, though. The modes generally aren't meant to work with one another, but it is occasionally fun to see what happens when it does happen. The ensuing chaos is good as an occasional event, but not the norm. It's also rare under the current dynamic system for it to give you the same combos repeatedly, so you'll generally experience something different each time.
Also what is with the "no antag, me no have fun" mentality? Does like 90% of /tg/ just play to validhunt?
yes
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #527304

Critawakets wrote:The issue with dynamic is that these gamemodes arent supposed to work with eachother and are meant to be seperate things. There's no inbetween we can do of "oh keep standalone and dynamic". We have to do a nuclear option of no dynamic or yes dynamic.

Could you provide some examples regarding issues with gamemode mixing? I see your point regarding overlapping team antagonists, but that is a very rare issue as most people with experience adminning/playing dynamic will be able to testify. Slight issue regarding solo antagonists getting converted, as some people are concerned with gerentext, but these ahelps are quick and clean with an established and enforced precedent "team antag takes priority over solo".

Other than that, I personally don't see issues with traitor revs or ling cult. Plenty solo antags fight to keep their solo status to complete their objectives. With revs on dynamic, when the headrevs die the revolution ends with a centcom announcement and the remaining revs getting deconverted, which is a large incentive for traitors focused on accomplishing their objectives to seek out the headrevs. I o see solo antags get converted by team antags, willing or otherwise, but as a personal anecdote I haven't noticed it happening enough to see many(if any) complain about dying to cult ling.

One point that is purely subjective is that it makes some of the "TDM modes" less TDM. By "TDM mode" i mean rev, cult, nukie, etc where you can typically identify loyalists and instantly put your full trust in them. I myself don't take issue with the increased paranoia - a lot of people will agree that paranoia is fundamental SS13 gameplay, used to describe the game to others almost universally. I can understand that many people enjoy playing space deathmatch 13 being able to quickly identify valids vs non valids, and those people might have trouble adjusting to being unable to FULLY trust the guy they just mindshield implanted, so I suppose if that's how you prefer to play the game then I can't tell you you're wrong.

tl;dr antag mixing = less metagame

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #527801

Dynamic adds an interesting way to play traitor or ling in "team death match" it's fun to scout out each side and see what best fits your objectives or alternatively if neither do you're a fun wild card.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-