ruling request

Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

ruling request

Post by Lazengann » #526675

Hi, if an admin is changing door sounds to memes(pufferfish sound, despacito, etc) is it IC in OOC to mention it or complain in OOC?

Thanks to exavere for making this thread necessary
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Twaticus

Re: ruling request

Post by TWATICUS » #526676

lol
ImageImageImage
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #526677

personally I think if you're going to do something immersion breaking and annoying like that then you have to deal with people complaining about it instead of threatening them until they stop
Exavere
Byond Username: Exavere

Post by Exavere » #526678

Well, the rule states that anything inside the current round is to not be discussed in OOC. Enforcing the rules is at the discretion of the Admins, and while I don't usually mind when people do just a little bit of ICK OCK when something silly is going on that everyone takes notice of, I was tiring of people going on and on about the current round in OOC because it's not a good habit to form. So I said "Next person to ICK OCK gets Gibsieds <3" to end the discussion of the current round in OOC. Whether it becomes allowed, not allowed, kept the same, more defined, etc. doesn't matter to me. I will continue to use my discretion to fit the rules and pilot the current round to the best of my ability, and benefit of the players, regardless. Btw, I'm not the one who changed the doors. If that's even relevant to this discussion/accusation.
The Plasmeme life is not an easy one.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #526680

It's hardly different than discussing the songs admins play while the round is going.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #526683

an admin that ear rapes the players with noises then bans them for complaining in ooc seems the ultimate banbot mentality
Exavere

Post by Exavere » #526684

Except songs being played aren't IC. They're OOC, and people will post song requests into OOC/Ahelps and talk about the song in OOC without any problems. I've never seen a note/warning for someone talking about an Admin Song Midi being played for people to listen too.

Tlal, how is that relevent to this. No one was banned/noted. Only warned to stop talking about Current Round in OOC.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #526685

Yeah they're as OOC as the door sounds were, unless you're going to claim that the sound of metal/glass sliding in a frame changing to "despacito" is reasonably explained in character

The spirit of the rule is to prevent OOC from impacting the round anyway, it just casts a wide net to make life easier
Exavere

Post by Exavere » #526687

Mm, I see your point. I am all for enforcing the spirit of the rules, rather than the rules to the letter. Banbots are lame. But like I said before I don't usually care if people Ick for this kind of stuff. Looking back I may have came across as hostile in OOC which wasn't my intention. I meant to get people to stop in a friendly, memey, way because I'd hate to see someone get a note for Ick Ock related to something so small like this. So I was trying to look out for people by not letting them develop that habit because some admins will change door sounds often and that could lead to disaster (Wouldn't be really fair to the player where one round it happens and it's all fine to talk about it in OOC, then they get noted when another group of admins is on and they do the same).

The door sounds, to me, are still IC because they're a part of the current round. Your character interacts with the door, and it creates that sound because of what your character did. I guess it would be up to interpretation, but you were right to raise the question on this matter so it can be settled without blurry lines or confusion. Whatever the result is won't bother me, I don't think we need any more rules to note players on, so if it's decided it's allowed that's cool.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #526690

also I thought you were the door sound guy my bad for that
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #526691

it seems like a very efficient banbaiting method ever since the takov ban appeal ruling failed to at least ask that admins don't rape users' ears so they can ban them when they react
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #526693

Exavere wrote:Except songs being played aren't IC. They're OOC, and people will post song requests into OOC/Ahelps and talk about the song in OOC without any problems. I've never seen a note/warning for someone talking about an Admin Song Midi being played for people to listen too.

Tlal, how is that relevent to this. No one was banned/noted. Only warned to stop talking about Current Round in OOC.
Does this mean that discussing songs IC falls under OOC in IC? I've always considered them actual music being played over the PA system
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #526694

The noises of the fucking doors being changed to something obnoxious is not an ic thing, is not relevant to round progression, does not hint at antags, and mentioning it in ooc doesnt really ruin anything. In fact, it would make it known that its not just you going insane.

This is ooc admin memery, and its not at all relevant to situations inround other than someone opening a door. Which happens all the time every round. Plus, its an admin edit. If anything, banning or notinf a user for ic in ooc over this bullshit isnt banbot, its outright abuse and powertripping. As much as i have a reputation for bootlicking to admins, there is no goddamned excuse to do this to people, and its goddamn attrocious to ban or note someone for mentioning this overt fuckery in ooc, to the point where banbaiting seems to not even scratch how shitty doing that is.

If someone fucks with door sounds and makes them earrape or immersion breaking or amplifies the clown shoes again, and then punishes people who complain with a big ick oock ban or note, i suggest making a formal admin complaint.

Like, seriously. Its annoying to have to take off your headphones every time you open a door. But getting beaned or a record for complaining in ooc is just damn wrong.

This sounds like outright malice to me, not going to lie.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?
Exavere

Post by Exavere » #526695

Reyn, can you do me a favor and cool it down 2 notches. No one is going take your input seriously when every other word is goddamnit, fuck and shit. Discuss, argue, use some rhetoric. Don't play the "Fuck this, and that, and this game". No one was banned, no one was noted, or would've been so you don't have to go up in arms as if someone was. This Policy Discussion is about whether or not we should consider this OOC, or IC.
Hi, if an admin is changing door sounds to memes(pufferfish sound, despacito, etc) is it IC in OOC to mention it or complain in OOC?

For the purpose of making the ruling more consistent, and fair, to the player base.

*A proper argument/discussion in this instance is to focus on the future, not the forensic. Nothing is gained by playing the "Fuck this guy for this decision, or that decision" especially based off of what you're reading without knowing the full picture of the events that took place.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #526699

There are circumstances I can imagine where you don't want players talking about sounds in OOC if you're going for some kind of in-game event, but for a global meme it is hardly a surprise some players are going to comment. I doubt it would have even come to policy if you just muted OOC instead of telling people it's IC in OOC.

As for music, the way I see it it comes down to exactly what is being said about the music when you play it. OOC commenting on music to just generally say "This is good" or "This is shit" is absolutely normal, where as a OOC comment saying "This is good ops music" is obviously IC in OOC. The important thing is whether or not the comment is referring to events in the round. Err on the side of caution and it'll never come up.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #526711

Exavere wrote:So I said "Next person to ICK OCK gets Gibsieds <3" to end the discussion of the current round in OOC.
Idea: Instead of threatening IC consequences for OOC actions, just mute OOC for a couple minutes if it's that big a deal? Alternatively, don't annoy the fuck out of people to the point that they'd complain about it?

"b-but button pressing isn't against the rules!" People have been deadminned for being button happy.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Exavere

Post by Exavere » #526713

Yeah looking back I am already am well aware of that. Hence my comment related to it, but thanks for the 20/20 to my 20/20 hindsight. I am also well aware of being too button happy, which I am not or haven't had any complaints for it, I don't know what the point of that example is considering it's pretty common knowledge. More-so that I am not the one that pressed any buttons to begin with. Again, this is a thread about whether or not admin memery on this level should be viewed as IC or OOC *And allowed to be discussed freely/extensively in OOC*. While that will ultimately be based off a Headmin Decision it's good to hear actual input on the matter. Anyone have any opinions that actually pertain to the Thread Topic?
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #526717

I don't know why you'd want to discuss it in OOC, I'd just ahelp it to know who's doing it, ask them politely to do something about it, and then take it to admin complaints if it keeps happening.

This is just me of course, there is a certain amount of memery I can stand in a round, but having several SFXs replaced by meme ones sounds ridiculously annoying and inmersion breaking.

Anyway, in this case you wouldn't be spoiling nor doing any metagaming if you discuss it in OOC, common sense is this shouldn't be a problem nor punished, as is not really something done in bad faith.

Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #526737

Exavere wrote:Anyone have any opinions that actually pertain to the Thread Topic?
Rule 3 and it's precedents are written in such a way that even hinting about events within the round in the OOC channel is considered IC in OOC. This is mainly because you can infer a certain amount based on even small bits of information and it's better to have almost zero tolerance so people don't try tip-toeing around what in-game things they can mention and still potentially ruin someones round. Commenting about music or some sound file could feasibly in some situations reveal information about the round. Meanwhile there are cases where some admin is just fucking about with music or sounds that doesn't really have any meaning to the round's progression. A yes or no answer is a bit too simplistic here compared to looking at the larger context and deciding if what was said deserves any action.

Short answer: At a stretch, yes but it's better to use your judgement. Some stuff is so minor it can be given a pass with a minor finger waggle if that.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #526740

if it's a ~specific door~ as in a single or a few doors it's probably not okay to OOC it since it hints at information such as where you are

if it's every door in the whole world then it's probably w/e so long as you don't use it as an excuse to OOC about other IC stuff
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #526870

If you're going to completely ruin a round's immersion by changing all door sounds, you don't get to complain when players take to OOC to voice their frustration. There is nothing even remotely IC about the round at that point.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #526876

why is this a thread like just don’t change door noises
[this space reserved]
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #526958

> door plays a literal meme
OOC: Why do the doors play memes, thats litearlly OOC in IC
banbot: icky oocky detected initiate banhammer.exe
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #526986

Just disable ooc for fifteen minutes until everyone gets used to the stupid meme sound and doesn't care enough to discuss it anymore if the idea is to force it on them. Not everything needs ban threats or policy discussion, Jesus Christ guys.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #527032

Ispiria wrote:Just disable ooc for fifteen minutes until everyone gets used to the stupid meme sound and doesn't care enough to discuss it anymore if the idea is to force it on them. Not everything needs ban threats or policy discussion, Jesus Christ guys.
Or just don't be annoying on purpose with your admin tools then get surprised when people get annoyed. This is like the admin version of banbaiting
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #527034

Lazengann wrote:personally I think if you're going to do something immersion breaking and annoying like that then you have to deal with people complaining about it instead of threatening them until they stop
To be honest I'd agree.
This game, in my opinion, can be both hilarious and memey, and also very immersive and some nice roleplay.
Its best when these two apposing things are left separate. If you turn the singlo into Broady and play broady quest, you're gonna expect OOC stuff, maybe you say "hush lol" and mute ooc but no one deserves punishment over it.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #529553

guess i shouldve just pinged the headmins in discord huh
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #529576

we have precedent in that admins aren't allowed to use maptext for memes which was once rampant
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #535986

Admins playing music has always existed in a world of limbo between being IC and being OOC, and is always context specific. For the most part it's usually considered OOC and safe to discuss in game, but if its preceded by a Centcom announcement or some other in-universe explanation it can be considered more on the IC end.

But to that end, if a sound or any admin tool is prevalent enough that it effects the server as a whole, you can consider a small amount of OOC discussion to happen. If I made everyone on the server vomit at the same time, a natural response would be someone in OOC saying "wtf??" as well as people reacting in IC.

If the bleedover is truly serious enough to start getting into rule breaking territory, the admin responsible should be ready to mute OOC and/or revert whatever it is they've done. Otherwise, a minor amount of player murmuring is just going to happen if something is truly intrusive.