MRP the push back

peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

MRP the push back

Post by peoplearestrange » #525270

Bottom post of the previous page:

So I've been thinking a lot about this.

Mostly the amount of roleplay is kept fairly in balance with good players, fresh unburnt out players and new interesting code that adjusts the dynamic. But we're now heading backwards again as the new player tide slows down and people become burnt out or get bored.

/tg/ is an MRP (medium roleplay), despite most of Terry thinking its a LRP, our "style" has always been MRP. The balance between goon and bay etc etc.

My real question is this; What can we do to encourage and improve roleplay? I want to hear ideas. Maybe you think its a mechanical one, maybe its pushed by a group of regular players, maybe its a policy change, maybe its more events with structure. I want actual ideas that we can put forward to the headmins and the coders in order to actually get some interesting roleplay back into the game.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Re: MRP the push back

Post by teepeepee » #526046

Tarchonvaagh wrote:Wouldn't it be great if you didn't need to kill that one assistant/engi/any job who broke into the cap office near roundstart? Just imagine.
have you ever played security officer?
this is the best part of the job
if anything, any sec officer should want more greytiding and less admin interference with our game of cat and mouse
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #526047

Maybe you play this game for tdm but I for one find the blanket statement of “dealing with entitled retards is the best part of the job” to be inaccurate, as one who plays the bloody role.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #526053

replace brig with adminprison lol
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #526326

The solution to tiding is the gulag. You get a good chunk of tiders to suicide that way.
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #526393

SkeletalElite wrote:The solution to tiding is the gulag. You get a good chunk of tiders to suicide that way.
First you'd have to catch them, which means you need to be in the area where the tiding is happening,
and being robust enough to incapacitate him. Most people (myself included) are incredibly unrobust,
while the tiders can be extremely robust from general experience or just dedicating every single of their
games to tiding and "horizontal-turning-bushido arts". Not exactly a good climate to play sec as a newbie.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #527038

teepeepee wrote:
Tarchonvaagh wrote:Wouldn't it be great if you didn't need to kill that one assistant/engi/any job who broke into the cap office near roundstart? Just imagine.
if anything, any sec officer should want more greytiding and less admin interference with our game of cat and mouse
This is how it used to work. People complained at the tide, but actually it served as a good distraction from antag hunting. This gave antags breathing space, but also the heads up that do something stupid like a tider would do and you're gonna get bust.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #527041

peoplearestrange wrote:
teepeepee wrote:
This is how it used to work. People complained at the tide, but actually it served as a good distraction from antag hunting. This gave antags breathing space, but also the heads up that do something stupid like a tider would do and you're gonna get bust.
"Tiding" back then meant something different entirely. Real greytides haven't happened in so long that the term has just come to refer to the antag-lite assistant mains. Which were also a lot more tame back then. Sure, they'd do petty crime and be a general pain in the ass, but most of them weren't very robust, and almost none of them were trying to killbait you as a non-antag.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
crashmatusow
Byond Username: Crashmatusow

Post by crashmatusow » #527061

Can anyone explain again why assmain is literally a license to griff?
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #527117

Maybe assistants shouldn't be counted as staff? Citizens given a opportunity to tour the station. Have to enter through the arrivals gate and be given a requisite tracking implant. Security has an easier time following up should they get unruly.

As for MRP I tend to get inspired to Rp more when there is back and forth dialog. I am a fan of talking to others (not via radios) giving a positive moodlet.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #527135

delaron wrote: As for MRP I tend to get inspired to Rp more when there is back and forth dialog. I am a fan of talking to others (not via radios) giving a positive moodlet.
You say that talking to others should give a positive moodlet, but how can this even be implemented? Does screaming "nigger" in medbay and running around in circles count as talking to others? Coding an algorithm that determines if a dialogue is really happening seems to be an impossible task.

IMO, giving people rewards for Roleplaying isn't ever going to work. Nobody gives a shit about moodlets anyway, you already get near-perfect mood by eating food and petting pets. A "boy i sure do love talking to fucking lizards" moodlet isn't going to make me RP.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #527138

Flatulent wrote:
delaron wrote: As for MRP I tend to get inspired to Rp more when there is back and forth dialog. I am a fan of talking to others (not via radios) giving a positive moodlet.
You say that talking to others should give a positive moodlet, but how can this even be implemented? Does screaming "nigger" in medbay and running around in circles count as talking to others? Coding an algorithm that determines if a dialogue is really happening seems to be an impossible task.

IMO, giving people rewards for Roleplaying isn't ever going to work. Nobody gives a shit about moodlets anyway, you already get near-perfect mood by eating food and petting pets. A "boy i sure do love talking to fucking lizards" moodlet isn't going to make me RP.
Were you going to anyway? I think the idea is to promote MRP not through force but at least provide some system feedback to encourage different types of behaviors. As for coding algorithm it doesnt have to be robust can likely barrow bits from the obsession objective and if someone replies to you while on screen after x amount of time without any harm you get a socialized buff. In your example if you get your jollies screaming expletives or racial slurs then I guess that made you happy?

Point being making anyone rp is not going to lead to quality rp. Providing small buffs at least shows encouragement for those having to wade through the tide.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.