Straight up remove wizard gamemode

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Straight up remove wizard gamemode

Post by wesoda25 » #525456

Its terrible in every sense. It blatantly ruins immersion, especially through events such as “Ghosts” and “Summon Weapons/Guns”. It encourages murderbone and gives the antagonist the tools to do so. But above all there is not enough content or conflict in order to engage the station for the whole round (usually 5 minutes). Only valid hunters and security are given something to do, whereas other crew members are usually wordlessly slaughtered without warning.

I could go on forever about its faults but fuck that. Basically just remove the gamemode and keep wizard in dynamic, albeit with a lower chance of spawning.
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Straight up remove wizard gamemode

Post by PKPenguin321 » #525462

It's fun to chase down the wizard with the whole crew behind you while the wizard just dunks on everyone
Imo summon events was a mistake because it takes focus off of the wizard, summon guns can be okay but often goes to shit for the same reason
Wizard is fun regardless tho
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #525489

This is something I agree with. While playing a wizard can be fun, its usually not so much for the crew.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #525582

Wizard should stay. Events need to go. The round needs to mulligan when the wizard dies, rather than just end. Bam, most of the problems solved.

"b-but getting boned by a wizard is no fun!" Neither is a 5 minute stealth ops round, or any other robust tator on a boner.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #526045

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:Its terrible in every sense. It blatantly ruins immersion, especially through events such as “Ghosts” and “Summon Weapons/Guns”. It encourages murderbone and gives the antagonist the tools to do so. But above all there is not enough content or conflict in order to engage the station for the whole round (usually 5 minutes). Only valid hunters and security are given something to do, whereas other crew members are usually wordlessly slaughtered without warning.

I could go on forever about its faults but fuck that. Basically just remove the gamemode and keep wizard in dynamic, albeit with a lower chance of spawning.
and apparently if you try to go stealthy admins get buttmad after 20 mins and spawn a wiz who instantly murders you
because "the round wasn't fun enough"
I support the OPs idea
Last edited by Tarchonvaagh on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #526072

Wizard is awesome.

This is a bad idea.
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #526075

Wiz events was removed in dynamic :)))
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #526091

Naloac wrote:Wiz events was removed in dynamic :)))
so what you are saying is part of wizard has been seen as so disruptive and anti fun it had to be removed from dynamic but its fine on its own
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #526094

removing summon X would be a big improvement to the mode.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #526095

Summon events/guns/magic is a config settings. Take those up with your local headmin team.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #526099

here we are :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #526105

I haven't been playing so much to be aware of the entire interactions of the game but for what I've seen, Wizard rounds are the ones that most unite the crew against a common foe. Be it sec, non-antags, antags and even greytiders. I see people changing to mostly positive and constructive behavior, and putting their robustness to good use. I would really miss it if it was removed. I think the Wizard impacts the round in a very unique way to see them go away completely. Maybe just tweak the Wizard's abilities a bit? I think some particular mechanics of the game can be super annoying regardless of their source, specially if used by players with powertrips and murderboners, but that doesn't mean something has to be removed completely. Yesterday for example, there was a traitor chaplain using an ability called "holy grace" or something and he devoured like 15-20 people in a very short time, included me, removing some players from the round almost immediately (and it took a batallion to take them down) When I asked an admin, perplexed about what just had happened, they told me the name of the ability and that players just "don't use it so often so its not really a problem". But it's there isn't it?

tl:dr is that the Wizard is too unique and rather than having them removed completely, we should try to reach a consensus about the best and worst aspects and how they affect the round, and from that, tweak their abilities accordingly.

RiskySikh
Byond Username: RiskySikh

Post by RiskySikh » #526113

Wizard is one of those rounds other than nukie, where the entire station is united against one common threat, but I get the issues with wizards.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #526120

Agux909 wrote:I haven't been playing so much to be aware of the entire interactions of the wizard
Imma stop you right there

Nah but in all seriousness im not advertising for complete removal, just removal of the gamemode plus some of the more shit wizard events. You’d still see them in dynamic, just less
[this space reserved]
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #526127

Disabling picking the wizard summon spells wouldnt necessarily mean you never see them ever again, since admins can trigger the event manually. Just like admin only stuff is given to traitors that tc trade, you can probably buy them if you got a good gimmick that warrants it. 5x events is stupid and needs to die.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #526129

Summon X can be really fun and chaotic, especially when you're a new player. It's only ever a problem in the rare event that it occurs over too many rounds within a short timeframe, at least to me.
► Show Spoiler
Exavere
Byond Username: Exavere

Post by Exavere » #526770

I'm not for the removal of Wizard as a Game Mode. But if we could remove Event Summons from Wizard as a start and go from there that'd be awesome. Event Summon Wizards are UNBEARABLE.
The Plasmeme life is not an easy one.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #526785

I'd rather have event summons than just one dude running around throwing fireballs.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #527506

make a spell that raises the dynamic threat level or however the fuck it works and replace summon events with that
if it's a pure wizard round, switch the roundtype to DynamicWizard or some shit that has shit like slaughter demons in the threat pool but otherwise plays like regular dynamic
same for summon guns, instead of survivalists just boost the threat so there's a chance of regular tators getting the guns
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #527513

the funniest wizard rounds in my experience were the ones where they didn't use summon

I only rarely play now but when I see a gun appear under my feet I just sigh irl
Limey wrote:its too late.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #527762

there is an interesting incongruity between those players complaining about wizards who muderbone and those admins who punish you for not murderboning
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #527831

I mean I murderbone when I’m wiz too, its just a fucking garbage gamemode and should be removed. My main complaint is lack of player interaction/content which results in half of the server ignoring the wiz until they die, or hunting it. We have better stress relievers in the form of revs, wiz doesn’t have enough to contribute to remain as its own gamemode.
[this space reserved]
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #527880

love when they die in the first twenty minutes and the round ends
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #527895

SpaceManiac wrote:there is an interesting incongruity between those players complaining about wizards who muderbone and those admins who punish you for not murderboning
I love when admins do that
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #528088

At the time of last gamemode poll, wizard was our 4th most popular mode. Admittedly this poll is a little long in the tooth by this point so further polling may be required in the future, but as a personal anecdote wizard has generally had an incongruity between angry forum posts about it vs general player popularity.

As to the topic at hand, the suggested change makes no sense - remove wizard but also keep it as a possibility in dynamic? That wouldn't actually solve any of the issues you note and would probably just lead to a greater incidence rate of false start wizard rounds due to the rounds being so rare that people don't know what they're doing with the role.

Wouldn't it make more sense to argue either for complete removal from rotation (as unlikely as that seems) or for headmins to lower it's weight in the config?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #528114

How does the suggestion make no sense. My primary complaint with it is that there’s not enough content to engage the crew to justify it being its own roundtype. Lowering its weight wouldn’t change anything in that respect. If we make it dynamic only, chances are a wizard isn’t the sole threat of the round - which would mean different ways for crew to interact with antagonists aside from validhunting for that round.
[this space reserved]
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #528119

I would like to see wizard redone as more of an annoyance than straight up murderboning.

With super annoying spell like the the horse head, cursed clothing, summon magic, doors everywhere that kind of thing and not just magic missile + ei nath or fireball.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #528168

just make pure wizard super rare and add wizard+traitor as a replacement so rounds don't immediately end
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #528174

wizard dying triggers a vote on whether to restart the round or continue it
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #528175

Lazengann wrote:wizard dying triggers a vote on whether to restart the round or continue it
is there default vote
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #528177

Dynamic wizard was a lot better than secret wizard, simply because it didnt end the round and might not be the main antag either. I enjoyed hunting the wizard with overpowered syringe mixes as much as the next guy, but the shift to the round not ending and there still being a possibility of antags in the round cured me of that real fast. In dynamic I enjoy rounds despite the wizard instead of throwing the rest of the round away to go end it quickly.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #528487

Wizard is a kinda heritage. Whilst I think it definitely needs to be lowered in its weight.

Wizard is a weird duality, it gives the crew something to team up against, but it also is basically murderbone with lots of stuff. However its no way near as bad as space ninja which is more overpowered and more murderey.

TLDR I'd say the simple solution would be to lower wizard chance of happening.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #530150

Suggestion: give wizards more utility and wacky chaos spells and less encouragement to take spells that are immediately deadly. Or, give them more spells that encourage them to keep people alive, like an AoE lifedrain that taps a little from everyone and heals for that amount.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #530171

Doesn't matter if you give wizards wacky and fun shit. They're encouraged by server culture to go as murderbone as possible; because as soon as the crew even catches wind of a wizard, they'll go full validhunt mode. A funny wizard is a dead wizard.

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #530254

it's poll time
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #530330

deedubya wrote:Doesn't matter if you give wizards wacky and fun shit. They're encouraged by server culture to go as murderbone as possible; because as soon as the crew even catches wind of a wizard, they'll go full validhunt mode. A funny wizard is a dead wizard.
This makes it sound like validhunting is the problem. Who'd have thought they'd see the day?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #530809

give wizards a spell that makes walls repulse and throw people if they bump into them like containment fields and a grease spell that just lubes the floor
make the walls make pinball bumper noises when they launch people
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #530868

Screemonster wrote:give wizards a spell that makes walls repulse and throw people if they bump into them like containment fields and a grease spell that just lubes the floor
make the walls make pinball bumper noises when they launch people
Please implement a clown wizard.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #531032

it shouldnt end the round to early
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #531263

AnonymousNow wrote:
deedubya wrote:Doesn't matter if you give wizards wacky and fun shit. They're encouraged by server culture to go as murderbone as possible; because as soon as the crew even catches wind of a wizard, they'll go full validhunt mode. A funny wizard is a dead wizard.
This makes it sound like validhunting is the problem. Who'd have thought they'd see the day?
If you were expecting me to disagree, think again. Validhunting is a big problem here, but good luck trying to convince the headmins to actually take action to correct the shitty habits the community has picked up over the years.

Spoiler: