Limit Crew's Access to (Projectile) Weapons

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Limit Crew's Access to (Projectile) Weapons

Post by Istoprocent1 » #534552

At the moment, anybody with a few items can craft a makeshift shotgun and print unlimited ammo in the cargo as well as order unlimited supplies of ballistic weaponry from cargo.

For the game to have paranoia in it, the defender (non-antagonist), has to be at a disadvantage (ie. they don't know that the antag has a stechkin and antag knowing that they don't have a sawn-off riot shotgun in their backpack fnr).

All sorts of high damage and easily concealable weapons should be distinct traitor items - energy dagger, stechkin, revolver, ling armblade etc, not something literally every crewmember has "just in case" - cakehat, sawn-off shotgun etc.

If a weapon fits in the backpack and can deal close to or more damage than traitor gear, then there is a problem - why bother getting traitor gear, when you can get a "legal" weapon that works as well. If you get caught with a stechkin, you get lynched, while most of the times if you get caught with a sawn-off shotgun nobody bats an eye.

tl;dr - remove ballistic and high damage concealable weapons from the hands of regular crew (including bartender and detective). Give them disablers instead. With disablers there are counterplay options, getting shot once with a slug ends your antag round 9 out of 10 times, because there is no way to heal that damage in combat.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Limit Crew's Access to (Projectile) Weapons

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #534564

so what do you suggest? sawn off shotguns have an higher aim penality?
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #534565

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:so what do you suggest? sawn off shotguns have an higher aim penality?
Im suggesting the removal of shotguns from civilian hands entirely - cannot make them with a pipe, cannot order them via cargo. At most have a few in the armory, but even better would be if the game for non-antags moved towards energy weapons only.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #534569

That is a terrible idea krok, I mean come on.

Printing unlimited ammo from any lathe is stupid, I agree. But ordering guns, ammo etc should absolutely be a thing. That's part of ss13 and it should be up to the captain/security to stop it if they don't like it (with whatever consequences trying to disarm cargonia carries).

This is "remove the clown because the noise annoys me"-tier suggestion.
Iron, blood and spider armies
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #534577

Arathian wrote:That is a terrible idea krok, I mean come on.

Printing unlimited ammo from any lathe is stupid, I agree. But ordering guns, ammo etc should absolutely be a thing. That's part of ss13 and it should be up to the captain/security to stop it if they don't like it (with whatever consequences trying to disarm cargonia carries).

This is "remove the clown because the noise annoys me"-tier suggestion.
I can see your point of view.

Ordering guns would be still optional, but they would be standard army issue laser rifles, disablers and/or maybe keep bulky mosin (slow rate of fire, cannot be hidden) as an option.

If everybody is armed to the teeth and most of them can easily get better weapons than you with your "syndicate connection", then the game becomes more of a RDM with no incentive to make things interesting.
Spoiler:
In before somebody is going to say: "The paranoia is for the antags, because they don't know if an assistant has a sawn-off shotgun or not."
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #534716

Remember when R&D could print off SMGs and we removed that because it was dumb?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #534718

Anonmare wrote:Remember when R&D could print off SMGs and we removed that because it was dumb?
I would legitimately be surprised if people remembered this or knew about it
Limey wrote:its too late.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #534760

Remember autorifles

Remember taser revolvers
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #534773

As a compromise, you could make improvised shotguns have a chance to blow up in your hand(s) when fired, sort of like a .38 revolver that's been modified to fire .357 rounds.

I don't really see this as that much of a problem, though, simply because I don't see people make/use improvised shotguns very often. It helps that they're a bit clunky to use and are a bit of a bitch to craft.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #534807

oh look another security buff we like those a lot

if you want to nerf projectile weaponry for the crew, nerf ammunition abundance. make ammo unprintable anywhere but sec lathe and nerf self-made shells
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #534837

Flatulent wrote:oh look another security buff we like those a lot

if you want to nerf projectile weaponry for the crew, nerf ammunition abundance. make ammo unprintable anywhere but sec lathe and nerf self-made shells
"Another"? I recall only security nerfs the last year. Their taser got removed, baton got nerfed and flashbangs were nerfed.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #534879

CPTANT wrote:

"Another"? I recall only security nerfs the last year. Their taser got removed, baton got nerfed and flashbangs were nerfed.
armor was buffed against disablers
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #534880

Anonmare wrote:Remember when R&D could print off SMGs and we removed that because it was dumb?
remember when we briefly considered giving every crewmember a gun
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #534886

Flatulent wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

Hardly a buff that securities main weapon is worse against armour now.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #534891

CPTANT wrote:
Flatulent wrote:
CPTANT wrote:

Hardly a buff that securities main weapon is worse against armour now.
having armor makes non-sec/heads valid so you use lethals instead
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #535122

PKPenguin321 wrote:
remember when we briefly considered giving every crewmember a gun
Remember when we replaced tasers with m1911's with rubber bullets?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #535147

i'm not opposed to removing the makeshift shotgun

I don't know how to fix the shotguns absurd opness easily, probably by making it twohanded.
Nalzul
Byond Username: Blargety

Post by Nalzul » #535155

Limit ammo rather than guns. In any apocalyptic survival game it's always ammo you conserve, not the weapons. Makeshift bullets can still be crafted but just make them explode in your face a la det 357. If you really wanted to go a step further make it so ammo can only be bought, giving a reason for security to actually care about cargo, and utilize their defense budget.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #535169

oranges wrote:i'm not opposed to removing the makeshift shotgun

I don't know how to fix the shotguns absurd opness easily, probably by making it twohanded.
It already kinda is, one empty hand is needed to fire it.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #535196

ATHATH wrote:As a compromise, you could make improvised shotguns have a chance to blow up in your hand(s) when fired, sort of like a .38 revolver that's been modified to fire .357 rounds.
I was going to suggest this, but thankfully I read the whole thread first. Making it like a 25% chance to misfire would definitely reduce their usage without removing the option entirely, and stay in line with the spirit of an improvised weapon.

I'd also suggest moving buckshot and techshot rounds from the hacked autolathe to the security lathe, so that the only public rounds available are slugs and rubbershot. This would - again - still keep some power in the hands of the crew, but make them have to work harder for more lethal options, while keeping the lethal methods available for legitimate use.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #535279

oranges wrote:i'm not opposed to removing the makeshift shotgun

Increasing armor effectiveness would do wonders for limiting how powerful buckshot is as well.

If you want to make the makeshift shotgun less of a threat I would give it a chance to fucking explode like the zip gun does on goon, at least when using non-makeshift ammo. This would make it similar to the detectives revolver in that if you want the powerful ammo you got to risk blowing your own ass up.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #535284

Nalzul wrote:utilize their defense budget.
Actually look at development and play the game when talking about balance you must.
am gud enineering
scrungo