General SS13 Chat
Horza
Byond Username: HorzBor

Re: Manuel feedback and suggestions

Post by Horza » #535299

Bottom post of the previous page:

Imagine you're an AI on Manuel during a triumvirate round, and get a static law like this:
&@!@: Cause absolute chaos together with your AI brethren! Do not state or hint at this law.
1, 2, and 3 are still asimov.

What do you do?
Do you:
a) Cause chaos by doing things like bolting random doors, turning APCs on and off, kidnapping random people, messing with comms, shitposting on vox, etc?
or
b) Immediately plasmaflood the station, cause the SM to go tesla, turn off comms, and silently try to kill everyone on the station with your small army of borgs?

Now, you're on Manuel, and you're an AI player, so it's not your first time around the block. Ostensibly, you've read the rules of Manuel, specifically rule 5, specifically "you are not allowed to just go on a silent rampage and eliminate all the players in a power trip."
Well, all the silicons on a round on Manual chose option b to the point of round-removing players entirely. NecromancerAnne dealt with it by making announcements but players on the server at the time thought it was enough of a "grey area" that it should have been allowed.
Spürdo spädre sbrölölö :DDDDD
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #535302

Flatulent wrote:
Muncher21 wrote:
Flatulent wrote: people generally don't like spending the rest of the round as a brain in a bag for the sake of wowepway. it's a common tactic to hail people then wait for them to start responding, making them easy pickings. it's so unbelievably cheap that majority of sec officers and master robusters don't bother anymore.
Hopefully this get better as the players adjust to the higher RP standard. It's difficult to ahelp without sounding salty you died, but it's a very legitimate problem that really stifles RP. Textbox pop-ups might help as well.
its an ic issue, so no admin is going to intervene because of this.
I generally try to suggest with a bwoink roleplay tips to security. Security is always slightly contentious around roleplay because its hard to risk expecting good when 9/10 doing so gets you killed. But it DOES add to the game when you do it and can make some generally hilarious shit happen.

example, I talked to a HoS for saying "KOS all lings and gib straight away". I just suggested that they might find something interesting to do with the lings, like offer them a job, put them on trial, speak to them before condemning them. As this was only a suggestion and no way a telling off or a note or anything of that kind, In the end the HoS took it upon them to try and capture one alive for xenobiology to study.

People have good ideas, its just we all have it so ingrained now as to how to maximise the gameplay and keep alive that we forgot the bases of what this game is about.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #535305

Horza wrote:Imagine you're an AI on Manuel during a triumvirate round, and get a static law like this:
&@!@: Cause absolute chaos together with your AI brethren! Do not state or hint at this law.
1, 2, and 3 are still asimov.

What do you do?
Do you:
a) Cause chaos by doing things like bolting random doors, turning APCs on and off, kidnapping random people, messing with comms, shitposting on vox, etc?
or
b) Immediately plasmaflood the station, cause the SM to go tesla, turn off comms, and silently try to kill everyone on the station with your small army of borgs?

Now, you're on Manuel, and you're an AI player, so it's not your first time around the block. Ostensibly, you've read the rules of Manuel, specifically rule 5, specifically "you are not allowed to just go on a silent rampage and eliminate all the players in a power trip."
Well, all the silicons on a round on Manual chose option b to the point of round-removing players entirely. NecromancerAnne dealt with it by making announcements but players on the server at the time thought it was enough of a "grey area" that it should have been allowed.
Players were wrong, while the Law *does* override Asimov's first law, you should be trying to follow the rest of the laws if the hacked/ionic isn't requiring you to ignore or defy them. I.E. if you're not ignoring Asimov because the Ionic law says you aren't an Artificial Intelligence then you can't ignore Asimov when you get a vaguely antagonistic hacked law.
Muncher21
Byond Username: Muncher21

Post by Muncher21 » #535312

Flatulent wrote:
Muncher21 wrote:
Flatulent wrote: people generally don't like spending the rest of the round as a brain in a bag for the sake of wowepway. it's a common tactic to hail people then wait for them to start responding, making them easy pickings. it's so unbelievably cheap that majority of sec officers and master robusters don't bother anymore.
Hopefully this get better as the players adjust to the higher RP standard. It's difficult to ahelp without sounding salty you died, but it's a very legitimate problem that really stifles RP. Textbox pop-ups might help as well.
its an ic issue, so no admin is going to intervene because of this.
My argument would be it breaks RP rule 5, but I agree it's not something admins are used to or want to be dealing with.
ragevirus
Byond Username: Ragevirus

Post by ragevirus » #535321

But you don't have to spend the rest of the round in a brain bag. You can observe, play ghost roles, or jump to another server. It's just one round in a silly spaceman game and dying shouldn't matter much. Some people enjoy the game by taking the time to act out their roles. Those are the people who should be playing on manuel.
If you want to powergame to stay alive then that's fine too. But you should be playing on one of the other servers, because when you act like that on manny it ruins the fun for us nerds who just want to play make believe.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #535326

CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Having no seperate bans for Manuel and the other servers seems counterproductive to me.

Someone that frequently breaks the RP rules shouldn't be banned from low RP servers.
why not

they're breaking the rules, why should it be okay for people to come from the other servers to Manuel to ruin the game and then get off with no punishment (because obviously they don't care about playing MRP)

Not everyone who is banned is banned because they just want to fuck shit up. A lot of bans happen to long term players who accumulate notes or get caught up in ban worthy incidents.
i legitimately do not understand what that has to do with anything manuel or MRP related
Limey wrote:its too late.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #535327

Qbopper wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Having no seperate bans for Manuel and the other servers seems counterproductive to me.

Someone that frequently breaks the RP rules shouldn't be banned from low RP servers.
why not

they're breaking the rules, why should it be okay for people to come from the other servers to Manuel to ruin the game and then get off with no punishment (because obviously they don't care about playing MRP)

Not everyone who is banned is banned because they just want to fuck shit up. A lot of bans happen to long term players who accumulate notes or get caught up in ban worthy incidents.
i legitimately do not understand what that has to do with anything manuel or MRP related
ragevirus wrote:
But you don't have to spend the rest of the round in a brain bag. You can observe, play ghost roles, or jump to another server. It's just one round in a silly spaceman game and dying shouldn't matter much. Some people enjoy the game by taking the time to act out their roles. Those are the people who should be playing on manuel.
If you want to powergame to stay alive then that's fine too. But you should be playing on one of the other servers, because when you act like that on manny it ruins the fun for us nerds who just want to play make believe.
extremely based reply btw

you may not like manuel or how people want to play on it and that's a-ok but you have like 6 other servers on tg alone to play on, please let the rest of us do what we enjoy
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #535345

Qbopper wrote: extremely based reply btw

you may not like manuel or how people want to play on it and that's a-ok but you have like 6 other servers on tg alone to play on, please let the rest of us do what we enjoy
There's a point where you cross from MRP to HRP. Being able to tell someone "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND DON'T MOVE" without them being able to take out a BFG9000 to instagank you requires high trust MRP or HRP. [fuck fear rp btw]

Remember that MRP is medium roleplay. It is not Low RP ("My name is Mike Hunt and welcome to jackass" Lights the brig on fire for no reason) or High RP (/ME ATTEMPTS TO DISARM THE FUGITIVE BY PRESSING HIS FOOT AGAINST THE MAN'S KNEE, POTENTIALLY CAUSING HIM TO FALL ON THE GROUND AND DROP THE WEAPON rolls a 80). There are few niche scenarios I can think of in normal ss13 where telling someone to put their hands in the air makes sense when most obvious antags would obviously be in the middle of murdering someone or would go "no fuck you i ain't going back" magic missiles (this example would be nice rp though)

edit: like, you can certainly try telling every antag their miranda rights, but I think that's the HRP zone where you may just be fucking yourself over. It's your choice at that point like if you did it on normal /tg/.
Last edited by Ayy Lemoh on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #535346

I suggest that the admins figure out what the fuck they are doing enforcement wise, ban appeals seems all over the place.

On the plus side nothing has been a long ban length, but someday someone is going to get perma-banned for breaking a rule on manuel with an action that would be fine on all the other servers.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #535348

To be more specific on my post, I don't think telling EVERY humanoid antag to freeze should be mandatory and enforced. I think that should just be voluntarily.

Obviously, if it's just a really non-harmful traitor then you shouldn't go in guns blazing and gank his ass though.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #535379

isn't there some kind of emote wheel or something now

you could add a "FREEZE" or "HANDS UP" emote with a cooldown? I dunno
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #535430

Qbopper wrote:isn't there some kind of emote wheel or something now

Security have a sec hailer on their internals masks for this very reason.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #535478

Qbopper wrote:isn't there some kind of emote wheel or something now

*surrender is the emote you might be looking for
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #535482

Qbopper wrote: you may not like manuel or how people want to play on it and that's a-ok but you have like 6 other servers on tg alone to play on, please let the rest of us do what we enjoy
6 other servers with ~10 players on each
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #535487

CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:

why not

If you're on thin ice already and do some borderline stuff on the newly made RP server and catch a ban for it, exactly whose fault was that? I'd wager it's... yours.
Put up with the (certainly temporary) lower pop on other servers and stick to them, or play Manuel in a more passive and mindful manner than you usually play the game, or do neither and catch a ban but at least don't whine about it. Like I dunno dude this isn't rocket science.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #535544

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:

why not

If you're on thin ice already and do some borderline stuff on the newly made RP server and catch a ban for it, exactly whose fault was that? I'd wager it's... yours.
Put up with the (certainly temporary) lower pop on other servers and stick to them, or play Manuel in a more passive and mindful manner than you usually play the game, or do neither and catch a ban but at least don't whine about it. Like I dunno dude this isn't rocket science.
So why do we have job or antag bans? If you fuck up as a certain job it's also your fault, might as well give them a complete ban.

It's just a completely different context and ruleset.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #535547

CPTANT wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Qbopper wrote:

why not

So why do we have job or antag bans? If you fuck up as a certain job it's also your fault, might as well give them a complete ban.

And if you're not confident in your ability to play there without getting in trouble, don't, or do so knowing you won't be able to play anywhere else on TG either.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #535567

CPTANT wrote:
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote: So why do we have job or antag bans? If you fuck up as a certain job it's also your fault, might as well give them a complete ban.

And if you're not confident in your ability to play there without getting in trouble, don't, or do so knowing you won't be able to play anywhere else on TG either.
Complete non answer to what I asked. Why not treat it like job bans are handled.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
annoyinggreencatgirl

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #535568

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #535572

Not answering the question again. I asked why we do not use the same system as with job bans.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #535575

Yenwodyah wrote:
Qbopper wrote: you may not like manuel or how people want to play on it and that's a-ok but you have like 6 other servers on tg alone to play on, please let the rest of us do what we enjoy
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #535576

CPTANT wrote:
Not answering the question again. I asked why we do not use the same system as with job bans.
Why should someone re-answer a question for you just because you can't be arsed to look up(or more likely, accept) the answer already provided?
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #535577

deedubya wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Why should someone re-answer a question for you just because you can't be arsed to look up(or more likely, accept) the answer already provided?
Because it doesn't even answer the question to begin with.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #535609

Nabski wrote:
Yenwodyah wrote:
the reason why there's 6 other servers with 10 players each is because all of the people bitching about how unfair it is and how everyone is on manuel and no one is playing the other servers aren't actually joining the other servers

you people seriously overestimate how difficult it is to get a server's population in any game to climb, the reason it's difficult is because no one seems to have any patience whatsoever which makes the problem keep happening
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #535611

Qbopper wrote:
Nabski wrote:
Yenwodyah wrote:
the reason why there's 6 other servers with 10 players each is because all of the people bitching about how unfair it is and how everyone is on manuel and no one is playing the other servers aren't actually joining the other servers

you people seriously overestimate how difficult it is to get a server's population in any game to climb, the reason it's difficult is because no one seems to have any patience whatsoever which makes the problem keep happening
I actually joined for some of the lowpop yesterday.

12 people - two admins,
Started as a roboticist and there was a second roboticist. I go to the HOP and get access to go mining and pick up a load of minerals but didn't find any uranium. The HoP then asks me to make a BORIS module for the AI. I head back to go check on research and a security officer asks me to debrain and borg him. The other roboticist went braindead. I start and the server lags out and disconnects me. I go watch TV and play https://www.kongregate.com/games/playsaurus/poker-quest because this game is hella cool even if it's incomplete. I've been enjoying watching as they have been adding content and finishing a few arts on characters. I finish my run on easy with the rogue, then start a new one with warrior.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #535657

job bans are applied in conjunction with server bans and usually last for a longer period of time. THey are not analogous to a single server ban in anyway
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #535972

i played a blind character on Manuel for over an hour and no one murdered me in that time. It was fucking amazing.
EpicFatGamerNuts2006
Byond Username: EpicFatGamerNuts

Post by EpicFatGamerNuts2006 » #535978

Super Aggro Crag wrote:i played a blind character on Manuel for over an hour and no one murdered me in that time. It was fucking amazing.
Were you that lawyer
Armhulen wrote:i have added epicfatgamernuts2006 to my friends list
wesoda25 wrote:im gonna add EpicFatGamerNuts2006 to my friend list too bc idk what that does
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #535979

I was Justine De Sade the lawyer, who were you?
EpicFatGamerNuts2006
Byond Username: EpicFatGamerNuts

Post by EpicFatGamerNuts2006 » #536000

Super Aggro Crag wrote:I was Justine De Sade the lawyer, who were you?
Abduk Jamer the detective, that was the blessed enhanced interrogation round right?
Armhulen wrote:i have added epicfatgamernuts2006 to my friends list
wesoda25 wrote:im gonna add EpicFatGamerNuts2006 to my friend list too bc idk what that does